Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

That was painfully boring. I had much more fun playing as The Lost than farming for Meat Boy and Bandage Girl. Managed to reroll a Blank Card and it took a long time to reroll a Monster Manual from the Treasure Room. Had a Sharp Plug so I could set this up. It only took me an hour to get all that, but grinding in Isaac is not something you should ever do if you want to have fun with the game. Didn't help that I picked up the Stopwatch and some other special items which prevented me from getting Pyromaniac from the item pool so I could heal myself with Epic Fetus instead of relying on the Blank Sun.

Okay so I got Meat Boy, Bandage Girl, everything related to The Lost, and the Stopwatch. What other terrible secrets are there, or am I good on that?

splifyphus posted:

There are a few other items that are so broken by themselves that they can guarantee you a run without any other combinations, but the Stopwatch really stands out because the shop pool is so much smaller and more common than the other pools. Stopwatch shows up a whole lot more for me than Brimstone or Holy Mantle or Godhead or Sacred Heart or Epic Fetus.

Both of my successful Lost runs had early Stopwatch finds and that's no coincidence.

e: It is kind of baffling that it remains so overpowered while something like Krampus' Head got nerfed so hard.

The Stop Watch is considered a special item, so taking it makes it much harder to find other special items like Epic Fetus, Brimstone, Pyromaniac, or Godhead. It's still ridiculously powerful compared to those items, but there is a downside to taking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I want a challenge where you get a lot of Mom's stuff but have to fight her as the boss of every floor. Call it "Oedipus or Elektra" or something I dunno.

EDIT: Or make it a normal run but there's an invincible Mom's Hand in every single room

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 17, 2014

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Stop Watch is considered a special item, so taking it makes it much harder to find other special items like Epic Fetus, Brimstone, Pyromaniac, or Godhead. It's still ridiculously powerful compared to those items, but there is a downside to taking it.

I thought that there weren't any special items any more.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

Yup, the victory is counted as soon as the boss is defeated. This applies to any situation where you defeat a boss which unlocks something and then die before opening the chest/entering the trapdoor/light.

Oddly it does not count as a win though.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

:smith:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I want a challenge where you get a lot of Mom's stuff but have to fight her as the boss of every floor. Call it "Oedipus or Elektra" or something I dunno.

EDIT: Or make it a normal run but there's an invincible Mom's Hand in every single room

I want a transformation where you become Mom. You're reduced to 3 hearts permanently, all heart pickups are doubled, and you no longer fire tears but you stomp on the map. The stomp is a Spacebar item that can't be dropped and has a 5 second charge time. You also cannot pick up any followers and lose whatever you currently have on you. Speed is capped at 2 marks.

It's like a different version of Epic Fetus. So you get OP damage and an item that can break doors/rocks/skulls along with double hp recovery from hearts but your hp and speed are now capped and you get no familiars so you'll need to learn to dodge and kite while your stomp recharges.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there anything special I need to do to get Lokii to appear? Loki's horns are the only thing I need to unlock Challenge 11 and it's the last challenge left for me.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Got my first Satan kill tonight :toot: It was largely because of good luck with items (Tiny Planet + Oujia Board + Halo of Flies with a bunch of damage buffs meant that all I really had to do was focus on avoiding contact with enemies while holding down the shoot button) but I've only been playing Rebirth for a few days so it was an encouraging start.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mom's Eye + Cursed Eye + Ipecac. gently caress you game, that poo poo ain't funny.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh my god Ipecac and Libra combine in the most hilarious way. Apparently when it tries to balance out Ipecac's skyhigh damage it just breaks and cranks up the rest of your stats a ton. Now I'm super fast, but my bullets are the size of a pea and do way less damage. However, I can rapid fire them. So in effect I'm now firing a rapid barrage of tiny explosives.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
NorthernLion won his first recorded Lost run, what the gently caress.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Cool.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

One of the double boss rooms has that long bridge in the back half of the top of the room that goes to hearts (maybe other spawns? I swear I saw a chest once). The dungeon exit spawns right at the start of it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So I am watching a stream and...

It flashes and spins and my eyes hurt oh god.
e: Also the bitrate is going to poo poo.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Just had two Azazel runs with lots of damage ups and Tammy's Head. That red wheel of death that recharges every room is a joy to behold.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

LaughMyselfTo posted:

There's no evidence he's even played the game before! wtf!

He's played way loving more than you or I have so he's probably better at it.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
It was also a raw no hit run; no Dead Cat, no Mantle, none of that. Yeah NL's really loving good at Isaac, but still what the gently caress

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Xenogenesis posted:

It was also a raw no hit run; no Dead Cat, no Mantle, none of that. Yeah NL's really loving good at Isaac, but still what the gently caress

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

LaughMyselfTo posted:

By recorded lost run do you mean recorded for Youtube? Because I was watching his stream when he unlocked the lost and he did a load of failed runs right after.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Xenogenesis posted:

Did he get lucky at some points? Probably. Did he deserve it? Well, you'd be a huge loving dick if you said someone with that number of hours into the game on camera(aside from his own personal time when he's not recording) didn't deserve something like that.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

ErIog posted:

Did he get lucky at some points? Probably. Did he deserve it? Well, you'd be a huge loving dick if you said someone with that number of hours into the game on camera(aside from his own personal time when he's not recording) didn't deserve something like that.

Yeah, personally I think any non cheat engine/Gnawed Leaf + Daddy Long Legs Lost run win is impressive. I'm just commenting on how exceptional a straight up no hit run is.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Here's the video since no-one has linked it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ScXKKGYEs

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So I just updated my Vita to 1.03, and of course, Godhead doesn't unlock.

But the "altF4" trick works on the Vita. You pause after you die, close out the game, and reload, and you can continue from the room you started in.

Unfortunately the game takes forever to load on the Vita.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Whether it's his first run at all with the Lost or first one that was recorded with the intent to put on youtube... that poo poo was fuckin' bananas. He did it without getting a crutch item like the mantle too!

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

something posted:

Whether it's his first run at all with the Lost or first one that was recorded with the intent to put on youtube... that poo poo was fuckin' bananas. He did it without getting a crutch item like the mantle too!

Yeah just watched the run myself, it was really well played. That multi-monstro room in the chest made me clench because it's so easy to take damage if a monstro jumps you from offscreen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
People always act like the secret of the lost is to get defensive items but really the secret is to get good enough offense that you don't meaningfuly fight anything.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People always act like the secret of the lost is to get defensive items but really the secret is to get good enough offense that you don't meaningfuly fight anything.

It helps in the beginning before you get all that stuff. Not to take anything away from that run because it was good, but on my Lost runs I didn't even have a 4th of that damage so the boss fights were much more difficult, even with Holy Mantle.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It is an impressive run, but he didn't run into a double Adversay room in the Chest. Just sayin'.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 31, 2022

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Logan 5 posted:

It is an impressive run, but he didn't run into a double Adversay room in the Chest. Just sayin'.

People really overestimate the difficulty of the adversary just because of his homing brimstone. Once you figure out the trick it's almost trivial to dodge.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, but then there's all of the rooms with almost guaranteed damage, and (until very recently) teleporting enemies, brimstone spiders, etc. When I was playing the lost I had a few very good runs that made it to the depths/womb without dead cat or mantle, but it was nerve wracking and they died to some stupid bullshit. I think for most people the way to do it will be dead cat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

something posted:

People really overestimate the difficulty of the adversary just because of his homing brimstone. Once you figure out the trick it's almost trivial to dodge.

One is pretty easy, two of them in a reasonably large room is much more annoying as you can't stay close to both of them at the same time.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

something posted:

I haven't fought the Adversary too many times, but is his trick to stay directly above/below him? Or one of the sides? I think the Fallen will shoot it's brimstone always to the N/S, and the Adversary always fires E/W. I can't remember because I'm redoing the Hard runs, and I'm doing the Chest side first.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

IUG posted:

I haven't fought the Adversary too many times, but is his trick to stay directly above/below him? Or one of the sides? I think the Fallen will shoot it's brimstone always to the N/S, and the Adversary always fires E/W. I can't remember because I'm redoing the Hard runs, and I'm doing the Chest side first.

The Adversary can fire in any direction, but eh brimstone will never bend more than 22.5 degrees or so. The trick is to circle strafe at mid range so that by the time he's fired his laser you're on the opposite side of it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ariong posted:

The Adversary can fire in any direction, but eh brimstone will never bend more than 22.5 degrees or so. The trick is to circle strafe at mid range so that by the time he's fired his laser you're on the opposite side of it.

And if you get the double adversary room, the trick there is they always start in opposite corners and if you move in a diagonal line between the other corners the brimstone misses you. IE: They'll spawn in the upper-right and bottom-left, so go back and forth in a line from upper-left to bottom-right.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Except pretty much any advice for Double Adversary rooms still only holds true if you can kill one of them within a few seconds, before one or both rearrange themselves by doing a jump attack or just slowly moving around. If you have them next to each other near one wall or corner you're kinda hosed regardless if you can't kill them ASAP.

EDIT: And before I hear "hurr durr if you don't have that much damage you weren't going to win anyway", which is dumb. I've beat Satan and even The Lamb so far with just solid play and good defensive pickups, even with poo poo damage. That just isn't possible vs. Double Adversary.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

One is pretty easy, two of them in a reasonably large room is much more annoying as you can't stay close to both of them at the same time.

The huge rooms with four Adversaries or two and two Dark Ones are nearly guaranteed damage if you haven't been lucky with items.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Crotch Bat posted:

I want a transformation where you become Mom. You're reduced to 3 hearts permanently, all heart pickups are doubled, and you no longer fire tears but you stomp on the map. The stomp is a Spacebar item that can't be dropped and has a 5 second charge time. You also cannot pick up any followers and lose whatever you currently have on you. Speed is capped at 2 marks.

It's like a different version of Epic Fetus. So you get OP damage and an item that can break doors/rocks/skulls along with double hp recovery from hearts but your hp and speed are now capped and you get no familiars so you'll need to learn to dodge and kite while your stomp recharges.

I kinda want a transformation where you turn into whoever Bob is. Then his loving brain might be worth picking up.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Justin_Brett posted:

I kinda want a transformation where you turn into whoever Bob is. Then his loving brain might be worth picking up.

Damage immunity from your own explosions, poison touch (but very potent), maybe stompy, your tears becomes bob's rotten head bombs, similar to fetus in a jar but they fly until they hit a wall/rock/enemy like the space bar item does.

I'd roll with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Manatee Cannon posted:

The huge rooms with four Adversaries or two and two Dark Ones are nearly guaranteed damage if you haven't been lucky with items.

I've gotten double Adversaries and double Dark Ones in one hellish room before, I cant imagine quad Adversaries though. Unless you can take down at least one in the early seconds you're going to take damage.

something posted:

Damage immunity from your own explosions, poison touch (but very potent), maybe stompy, your tears becomes bob's rotten head bombs, similar to fetus in a jar but they fly until they hit a wall/rock/enemy like the space bar item does.

I'd roll with that.

I'd imagine that if they gave you bob's rotten head tears they wouldn't also give you pyromaniac immunity. That seems more like how Ed and the devs would roll.