Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's a terrible standard. Sure, let's have every work of fiction not challenge the audience at all.

Utena's got a pretty straightforward emotional arc that peaks with the movie, and doesn't really require you to go back and put all the pieces together to appreciate it. It's just more rewarding if you do.

See, I haven't seen the movie. I had heard the movie was a sort of tangent to the series? Its own offshoot canon or something? I didn't know it was necessary to grok the arc.

I'm definitely not saying I didn't like Utena or that it's bad. I was rather unsatisfied with the resolution though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Travis343 posted:

See, I haven't seen the movie. I had heard the movie was a sort of tangent to the series? Its own offshoot canon or something? I didn't know it was necessary to grok the arc.

I'm definitely not saying I didn't like Utena or that it's bad. I was rather unsatisfied with the resolution though.

It's an alternate continuity / retelling that's actually even trippier than the series but any real understanding of Utena has to be on a metaphorical level and the ending, while drastically less "literal" is a lot clearer about what it's getting at.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Travis343 posted:

You should watch the movie. It's not a direct sequel, but it is the result of Ikuhara watching his own show air on television and deciding it wasn't done yet.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You should watch the movie. It's not a direct sequel, but it is the result of Ikuhara watching his own show air on television and deciding it wasn't done yet.

Plus it was an excuse for him draw naked lesbians. :v:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Travis343 posted:

The Utena movie is hot garbage made by garbage people

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
I watched the first Sailor Jupiter episode of the dub yesterday and loved her new voice. The writing of the English script still isn't great, though. I mean, there are parts that worked well, like Usagi and Rei's argument about Usagi calling Rei mean, but at one point Zoisite calls Makoto a "prehistoric witch." WTF? "Primitive" would have worked better in the scene, since he'd called her "barbaric" just before, and "witch" doesn't make sense at all (she's punching him, not casting spells) unless you acknowledge that it's because they wanted us to get "bitch" without having to actually say it.
And I'm really anti the witch-for-bitch cop-out. Find another insult. English is full of 'em. Invent one, like Adventure Time and "tranch"!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably never going to give up on watching this just because it's Sailor Moon and even if it's terrible I'll watch the whole thing, but I'm just getting increasingly annoyed by it all.

The cheap animation tricks where they stick on the same shot for soooo long with absolutely no movement, the wacky proportions (Mamoru aka Slenderman), the complete lack of characterization on any of them, and just how they have this kickass opening song about how they don't need no man to be strong, and then every single thing is from Sailor Moon is about "oh no Mamo-chan I can't deal with this come back to me" and they give the same thing to the others now too. I have no issues with them being paired up in principle, but it would be great if it didn't make the other sailor guardians seem so pathetic.

Like there's really nothing to enjoy about it anymore, but I feel like I'd be betraying the 12 year old in me if I gave up.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

yeah its p offensive how usagi doesnt just shrug off having to fight her boyfriend to the death, if only it ended with usagi deciding to mercy-kill mamoru if he can't be saved or something

Honestly I'm not a fan of some of the changes this episode, and while I didn't mind the changes to the Four Kings this whole episode pretty much made them pointless in the most anti-climactic way possible. At least they kept the important bit at the end unchanged, so there's that.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
So what, did they die or are they STILL alive?
If I remember the chapter right none of them were alive at this point, Beryl is killed by Venus and Usagi does a murder-suicide only to come back next chapter.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nah they're dead as gently caress. They didn't even live long enough to do anything helpful they fought with the Senshi and got their memories back and were immediately pulped by Metallia.

Got a real dumb scene of the senshi sobbing over the crater where they used to be standing too.

E: They changed that too, its Usagi who takes the sword and she doesn't kill Beryl as much as she breaks the necklace that was full of Metallia's energy and Beryl turns into ash of her own accord after that.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
In the manga,Venus has power over metal and it's all badass and poo poo. She stabbed that bitch right in the heart for LOVE and JUSTICE. :black101: God drat it, Crystal. :smith:

Travis343 posted:

Got a real dumb scene of the senshi sobbing over the crater where they used to be standing too.

:cripes:

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 20, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Wow, way to pussify everybody.

Well, no more shitennou. I guess they stayed alive just for somebody's fanfic and they'll never be remembered again. :thumbsup:

I don't think I'm gonna watch season 2 after all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was really sure they were going to at least get to die heroically or something...jump in front of an attack and save Endymion or whatever. They didn't even get to see their prince once they had regained their memories. It was like, "Whoa, dudes, remember that prince guy?" and then bam dead in a crater.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Wow, way to pussify everybody.

I agree human emotions are weak and only for ladies

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Why do I get the feeling that nuking the elite four in that way is a rushed re-write to get things back to normal in time for ChibiUsa to fall in and make Usagi think she's broken her neck to comedic effect and to play the Black Moon arc deadly straight (which would ironically be better as the BM arc is the point where the comic and the carton diverge)?

Oh, Who am I kidding? They never wanted to make this show in the first place. We'll be lucky if Toei doesn't care enough to gently caress with the US Home release which seems to be their true calling with this franchise.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 21, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Look I don't see what the big deal about Mamoru training with Dhalsim is.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Why do I get the feeling that nuking the elite four in that way is a rushed re-write to get things back to normal in time for ChibiUsa to fall in and make Usagi think she's broken her neck to comedic effect and to play the Black Moon arc deadly straight

Well yeah they were never going to survive past the Dark Kingdom arc, so they had to hurry up and off them to accommodate that since they didn't die when they did in the manga (or hell even in the original anime). And they were only really kept alive for the Sailor Guardians to go "Oh no our boyfriends in a past life we can't fight them" thing, there was no other purpose to them being kept alive this long.

Although given that they changed the way Beryl dies for no real reason they also may have been kept alive so that they could die off in a less violent way, I guess Toei doesn't think they could get away with the manga deaths on a TV broadcast. I mean I'm not sure but that's the only possible reason I can think of for them to change Venus stabbing Beryl through the heart.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Not that they had that problem to deal with ether.

Toei were NEVER the production company to do this beyond the dubious honour of them having made the first series and, frankly, every new thing I see from them that's not PreCure seems to be so slopply put together that I'm mildly surprised it didn't air as part of that old The Marvel Super Heroes show.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 21, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Although given that they changed the way Beryl dies for no real reason they also may have been kept alive so that they could die off in a less violent way, I guess Toei doesn't think they could get away with the manga deaths on a TV broadcast.

Crystal doesn't air on TV, I don't think.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I laughed really, really hard at Metalia just straight ion cannoning Kunzite and the gang. They were standing directly in front of her declared enemies, but I guess she didn't feel like doing anything to them.

Also, jesus were the drawings bad in this episode. I know Naoko drew some lengthy appendages, but these were truly awful.

Waffleman_ posted:

Crystal doesn't air on TV, I don't think.
Nope, just nicovideo.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I know there's been a lot of criticism of Crystal, but by and large I've been adoring it so far. But...this episode was not so good. I didn't expect the survival of the generals until this point to have any real impact on the plot, but the way that they were just summarily killed off at once, apparently solely so that the Senshi could remember them and cry very very briefly over their deaths, was just silly. I had thought that perhaps Crystal hadn't had them dying at the points from the manga because they wanted to go for a dramatic 4-on-4 battle to the death. Nope.

But the worst thing was that Venus didn't get her moment to shine. I was looking forward to her being cool and getting rid of Beryl, but instead...Usagi has it and just breaks a necklace. It's as if they thought "hey, with the original plan, Usagi won't do much until the end of the episode, so let's give her the really cool sword scene where Beryl dies. Oh, but we can't have Usagi shown killing a person with a sword here, so let's go with breaking jewellery".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Van Dine posted:

I know there's been a lot of criticism of Crystal, but by and large I've been adoring it so far. But...this episode was not so good. I didn't expect the survival of the generals until this point to have any real impact on the plot, but the way that they were just summarily killed off at once, apparently solely so that the Senshi could remember them and cry very very briefly over their deaths, was just silly. I had thought that perhaps Crystal hadn't had them dying at the points from the manga because they wanted to go for a dramatic 4-on-4 battle to the death. Nope.

But the worst thing was that Venus didn't get her moment to shine. I was looking forward to her being cool and getting rid of Beryl, but instead...Usagi has it and just breaks a necklace. It's as if they thought "hey, with the original plan, Usagi won't do much until the end of the episode, so let's give her the really cool sword scene where Beryl dies. Oh, but we can't have Usagi shown killing a person with a sword here, so let's go with breaking jewellery".

The joke is that they had their big dramatic four-on-four battle, only the animation budget must've run out or something because it consisted of everyone standing around calmly while explosions happen. At least in the previous four-on-four they were running around doing dive kicks and poo poo. My real issue though is that there's no real emotional pay-off rendering all the changes completely pointless. It was clear the Four Kings would die, but we went from them being saved, killed, the Sailor Guardians being devastated and getting over it in the span of thirty seconds. The mood whiplash was so great I ended up laughing. I don't think they'll get more than a throw-away line or two at this point either.

I think part of the reason for the changes for the Queen Beryl fight was to make taking her down more of a team effort since up to that point she was the major villain and just having Venus chump her with a sword would be a bit too anti-climactic? Twelve Like Pies is probably on the money here, most of the changes are because they don't want to show the Sailor Guardians straight up kill their enemies. But yeah, I wished we had the manga version of events here.

I was pretty worried at that point that they would change the end of the episode somehow, but at least they kept that the same. At this point I just wonder how they plan to deal with the Spectre Sisters in the Black Moon arc since there's not much of a reason or excuse to keep them alive past their first appearances. Or they make them the team's space future ex-girlfriends, people might be happy with that, who knows.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's not just this show (there's a bunch this year in fact), but I'm like 3 or 4 episodes behind and I'm finding it hard to keep the motivation to continue. That's a shame in some ways I guess, but really it's just a TV show that I wish had turned out better.

unrelated

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The stupidest thing is I would have just about bought it if she had shattered her head piece (That stupid bomerang thing just screams "weak point") and if the E4 had just pushed the Guardians out of the way of the Death Egg Beam.

Oh well, that's for a universe without Toei, I suppose :sigh:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 21, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I just watched Revolutionary Girl Utena's 12th episode.

Oh god. :3:

Then I watched episode 14.

Oh God. :catstare:

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 25, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Trailer for Nemesis arc has dropped;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q-rU8s9HCY

Also confirmed is the casting for ChibiUsa and Pluto

ChibiUsa is voiced by Misato Fukuen (Post SF4 Sakura, Iggy in JJBA Stardust Crusaders)

Pluto is voiced by Ai Maeda (Mimi in Digimon, Shinon in Xenosaga)

Voices sound fair enough (though I never thought I'd hear Mimi's va ever sound that deep) but the art quality is still a load of wank (that CG gun).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Trailer for Nemesis arc has dropped;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q-rU8s9HCY

Also confirmed is the casting for ChibiUsa and Pluto

ChibiUsa is voiced by Misato Fukuen (Post SF4 Sakura, Iggy in JJBA Stardust Crusaders)

Pluto is voiced by Ai Maeda (Mimi in Digimon, Shinon in Xenosaga)

Voices sound fair enough (though I never thought I'd hear Mimi's va ever sound that deep) but the art quality is still a load of wank (that CG gun).

Sailor Moon Crystal: Animating Things Is Hard

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Holy cow, they cut the Luna-P hitting Mamoru before chibi falls (unless they just cut that for the preview, because that'd be a dumb thing to cut considering its in the Manga and the only reason they'd have for doing so would be to eliminate any humor.), and there's still a lot of hilariously wonked out perspective.

Why was I ever excited for this?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I basically don't want them to continue, so that at least Michiru and Haruka are spared the butchering :(

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I notice that the reboot of this anime is mired in 'controversy' and lots of whiny grognardery from people. Can anyone fill me in on why people are mad about things like 'censorship' and someone changing Usagi's name to Serena? I remember her name being Serena in the original run, so why all the hubub?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

sailor_moon_crystal.jpg

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

New sub is fine cept for some animation problems.

She is still usagi don't know about Serena or whatever.

The show is a little dry but so was the manga. It had very little personality and most of the original animes personality came from filler, which this show cuts out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The name Serena was completely an invention of the original series dub, and the only people who are mad about it are the people who don't like the new dub of the original using the Japanese names. Nothing to do with Crystal.

Edit: I'm honestly not sure what you're asking. Like, are you wondering why people don't like Crystal? It has nothing to do with censorship or name changes.

Edit2: You may be confusing Crystal with the rerelease of the original, which is taking out censorship, so ??? The big controversy with that is that the video quality of the disc release is balls.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 28, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

The name Serena was completely an invention of the original series dub, and the only people who are mad about it are the people who don't like the new dub of the original using the Japanese names. Nothing to do with Crystal.

Edit: I'm honestly not sure what you're asking. Like, are you wondering why people don't like Crystal? It has nothing to do with censorship or name changes.

Edit2: You may be confusing Crystal with the rerelease of the original, which is taking out censorship, so ??? The big controversy with that is that the video quality of the disc release is balls.

I'm talking specifically about Crystal. Is Crystal a totally new series and not a 'reboot' of the original? What kind of censorship are they removing from the re-release of the original?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Crystal is a reboot of sorts, yes. It's an adaptation of the manga without the filler the original anime had. And honestly, the original dub was so censored, it'd take all day to compare it and the rerelease on that front, really.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Crystal is a reboot of sorts, yes. It's an adaptation of the manga without the filler the original anime had. And honestly, the original dub was so censored, it'd take all day to compare it and the rerelease on that front, really.

Do you mean stuff like Zoisite and Kunzite being gay dudes, and Uranus and Neptune being gay girls? That kind of stuff was taken out of the original anime because :freep:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, it was in the original anime. The dub just changed it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I don't remember the two dark prince guys being overtly gay in the FUNimation dubs on Cartoon Network, and Uranus and Neptune were 'cousins' in the dub that seemed to be very friendly. I'm a big dumb, so help me to understand what's going on with Crystal and this re-release. As I understand things after these last few posts,

1. A re-release of the original 200+ episode Sailor Moon series is happening sans censorship. Censorship of things like openly gay characters and transgender characters are not going to be included. :irony: Anime about scantily clad junior high girls is in reality the gayest anime. :irony:

2. Sailor Moon Crystal is an entirely separate creature that is an adaptation of the old manga, but without all the filler from the original Sailor Moon anime series. That filler being the reason the original series was over 200 episodes. As a result we probably won't be seeing any Umino and Naru arcs, or Reis fling with that horrible Yuichiro mongoloid.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I really love the R arc, and you'd think if they have enough of the season animated to get that trailer out, it might not be bad, but it's still pretty apparent they are rushing. I think I was most disappointed by Usagi and Mamoru's reaction to Chibiusa falling. I remember them having really shocked and goofy faces in the manga, but they look almost bored in Crystal. I know we won't be seeing any expressions like this:

I know people compare the expressions between the original anime and Crystal a lot, but you'd think for a series that's more manga-based, it would have a similar style.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I don't remember the two dark prince guys being overtly gay in the FUNimation dubs on Cartoon Network, and Uranus and Neptune were 'cousins' in the dub that seemed to be very friendly. I'm a big dumb, so help me to understand what's going on with Crystal and this re-release. As I understand things after these last few posts,

1. A re-release of the original 200+ episode Sailor Moon series is happening sans censorship. Censorship of things like openly gay characters and transgender characters are not going to be included. :irony: Anime about scantily clad junior high girls is in reality the gayest anime. :irony:

2. Sailor Moon Crystal is an entirely separate creature that is an adaptation of the old manga, but without all the filler from the original Sailor Moon anime series. That filler being the reason the original series was over 200 episodes. As a result we probably won't be seeing any Umino and Naru arcs, or Reis fling with that horrible Yuichiro mongoloid.

Thats pretty much it. Theres a few scattered loonies on Tumblr that are claiming that the new dub calling the main character Usagi instead of Serena is actually racist but for the most part everyone is overjoyed to finally get an uncut release of the show. Theres a few A/V nerds having nerd babies over some video quality issues that are literally imperceptible unless youre looking at a side by side still image comparison trying to see ghosting or whatever.

Crystal was supposed to be a more faithful adaptation of the manga but it's deviated in a lot of ways most notably leaving the four generals alive and having them be boyfriends with the sailor senshi. Its got some pretty awful/hilarious animation in a lot of it and is pretty disappointing overall.

Ironically if people are talking about censorship there is supposedly some in Crystal, the rumor is they aren't allowed to show the main characters actually killing anybody so instead of Sailor Mars burning Jadeite's face off he gets vaporized by a beam by another bad guy, and instead of Beryl getting impaled on a broadsword she crumbles to ash after the mind control necklace she had on is broken. Basically nobody in Crystal is actually evil except for Metallia and she's like a cloud of gas or something anyway, so they will be able to kill her probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Travis343 posted:

Thats pretty much it. Theres a few scattered loonies on Tumblr that are claiming that the new dub calling the main character Usagi instead of Serena is actually racist but for the most part everyone is overjoyed to finally get an uncut release of the show. Theres a few A/V nerds having nerd babies over some video quality issues that are literally imperceptible unless youre looking at a side by side still image comparison trying to see ghosting or whatever.

Crystal was supposed to be a more faithful adaptation of the manga but it's deviated in a lot of ways most notably leaving the four generals alive and having them be boyfriends with the sailor senshi. Its got some pretty awful/hilarious animation in a lot of it and is pretty disappointing overall.

Ironically if people are talking about censorship there is supposedly some in Crystal, the rumor is they aren't allowed to show the main characters actually killing anybody so instead of Sailor Mars burning Jadeite's face off he gets vaporized by a beam by another bad guy, and instead of Beryl getting impaled on a broadsword she crumbles to ash after the mind control necklace she had on is broken. Basically nobody in Crystal is actually evil except for Metallia and she's like a cloud of gas or something anyway, so they will be able to kill her probably.

I noticed that the animation seems kinda jerky and less organic than the old series. It's like Crystal was animated on a computer and the old series was done by hand. The old stuff just felt more natural.

They could kill Metalia by striking a match :v:

• Locked thread