Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

It's really hard to care about these people when the first episode shows them drugging and gang raping someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I think it was stated that she partook of her own free will. Its up to interpretation who was how high during the drug orgy.

But how could you not feel bad for Meep? He was a saint! A baby chick decapitating saint! He was the best among us.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i1GmxMTwUgs

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I liked season 7 of Dexter :c00lbert:

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Nihonniboku posted:

Yes.

Showtime has this thing where all of their shows turn to crap after the first few seasons.

Crap is too nice of a word to describe the Dexter seasons. It was a steaming pile of poo poo that someone barfed on and took a poo poo on top of that. It was that bad. I still haven't brought myself to watch the final few episodes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dugong posted:

I liked season 7 of Dexter :c00lbert:
You're one of the only ones who did!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

OmegaBR posted:

EDIT: Scratch that, I thought the scenes with the twins were nicely done tonight. Dot offering her life for Bette and then them offering themselves to Jimmy. After that Jerry Springer scene at the start, a surprising amount of emotion.

I think I just found my major complaint about this season: the use of all the fake outs has made me not take anything at face value. That scene with the twins offering themselves to Jimmy was well done, and should have been touching, but I just assumed Jimmy was drunk and hallucinating, so I wasn't invested.

Also, goddammit I'm sick of Jimmy.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As much as Murphy and his fans love to beat their chest about how progressive and forward-thinking him and his shows are, having the fat lady be a cartoonish one dimensional hedonist was a really lovely thing to do. Not to mention really boring.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As much as Murphy and his fans love to beat their chest about how progressive and forward-thinking him and his shows are, having the fat lady be a cartoonish one dimensional hedonist was a really lovely thing to do. Not to mention really boring.

It really all boils down to the fact that Ryan Murphy is a giant dumbass who thinks the mere existence of something serves as significant progress when, in reality, such a hollow existence is often detrimental.

Ryan Murphy, as a human being, is a massive walking stereotype unable to grasp the idea that not all gay people are just like him, that not all outcasts are equal and that not all physical irregularities make someone a social outcast. He is the idea of "general" personified.

The absolute worst thing he's ever done is Kurt Hummel, who was actually a fairly good character at first, and then grew into High School Ryan Murphy because Murphy obviously thought that people's adoration of Kurt would continue and he could be vicariously adored through the character. Instead, just like Murphy himself, Kurt became an insufferable shitlord.

His characters, like himself, put on fronts to be loved, then release their inherent shittiness in Murphy's desperate attempts to publicly jack himself off.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 17, 2014

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yea. I can't imagine she'll be along, or prominent, for very long.

Also, with all the complaining people do about Murphy, I was wondering: is he writing the episodes? Or just having a heavy hand as EP?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tonight on American Horror Story: "Orphans"

The death of a freak sparks troubling behavior in Pepper; Elsa reveals the history of the freak show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nihonniboku posted:

Also, with all the complaining people do about Murphy, I was wondering: is he writing the episodes? Or just having a heavy hand as EP?

He's credited for two of this season's scripts: the pilot and I believe the episode where Bates and Conroy died. Murphy has this uncanny ability to remain involved in all of his projects, even when you think he would be stretched too thin by now.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

This is still new tonight btw

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

a cop posted:

Tonight is the Lily Rabe episode, if I'm not mistaken.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

a cop posted:

I think someone just gave up on stickying it, and I sort of don't blame them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

esperterra posted:

Tonight is the Lily Rabe episode, if I'm not mistaken.
There's only one? :smith:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

There's only one? :smith:

I think there's just the one, yeah.

I would kill to see them try and shoehorn Sister Mary Eunice into all of the remaining episodes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

All this talk of Hitler and Nazis and all I can think is "That's the poo poo that made Season 2 even better!"

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

...of SCIENCE! posted:

So agreed. I was hoping she'd be more than just a punch line, but nope. I'm so ready for the season to be done. They should have either stuck with Twisty or just had more focus on Dandy. I just don't care about the freaks how aspect of the show anymore at all, it's almost inconvenient.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ma Petit~! :neckbeard:

Edit: Was Ma Petit's origin story literally a Dr Pepper commercial? Sold her for three cases!

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
let's kind of ignore that the dalit caste are untouchable, here

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Pepper! :shepicide:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Was that... product placement?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Parasol Prophet posted:

Was that... product placement?
I guess we'll see at the next commercial break :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This wedding video is actually kinda sweet.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
This is all actually kinda sweet. And sad.

Nooo, don't send her back to her sister :ohdear: We can still rewrite the timeline

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

OH poo poo. :tviv:

Edit: This is basically a big ol' reference to Asylum, ain't it?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 18, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oooh, a time skip! And in comes Lily Rabe!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

im going to hate this woman by the end of the flashback aren't i

EDIT: Oh goodie, looks like I am going to hate both the husband and the wife. There's a zero percent chance that they didn't kill the baby

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 18, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pepper....:unsmith:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Show kinda went off the rails :\

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011
This episode came the closest to the feeling of the "old" AHS this entire season. I don't think it was just the Asylum throwback; the storytelling was so compelling & focused. It didn't feel as jumpy as it's been lately.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I want Pepper to have a happy ending, but I get the feeling she doesn't.

Edit: NPH sighted.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Neil Patrick Harris when it returns from break :unsmigghh:

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Waffleman_ posted:

I want Pepper to have a happy ending, but I get the feeling she doesn't.

Edit: NPH sighted.

Did you not watch Asylum? She does... kind of. Eventually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nope, have not seen Asylum. This is still my first season and I have yet to get them boxsets.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The big positive this episode had was actually getting involved in the business of how the freak show operates and came to be, instead of just wasting time with empty scenes of them hating and scheming against each other.

This is the kind of thing you kind of want to see in the first few episodes, rather than in episode 10. Which I guess they sort of did with the stories told to Edward Mordrake, but giving them more of a backstory at first would help us care more about what happens to them later, when they end up doing unlikeable things. A mistake made with Coven and waiting until the last minute to truly explore The Seven Wonders after all the junk.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

This episode was better and it had the stuff I liked about the first 2 series in it. It humanises the characters, does horrible things to them and then you feel sympathy and fear for them. And it took shitheel characters and redeemed them through the bad things that happen to them too. Contrast to Beecher dad who is on screen to say he's not happy with his daughter, get her some tattoos and then get tarred and feathered. It was gross but who gives a poo poo.

Emma Roberts and Angela Bassett are kind of awful to watch at the moment. I'm so messy drunk honestly I just tell you my secrets lady I know for a fact would tar and feather me. Elsa was better when she wasn't a manifestation of insane self regard.

There were some really good posts further up the thread. I only looked Ryam Murphy up recently and saw he made Nip/Tuck. Had to laugh. That show was mostly schlock and really heavy fisted emotional ploys. It was fun but it was total poo poo. It also did that thing you guys were talking about where he lets the weird person on to the screen and lets them have their 5 second spiel that lets you know they are a person too and then everything else is telling you to find them repulsive or funny.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Surprised to see so many people liked this episode. I thought it was boring as hell.

My favorite scene is when they slowly cut to Emma Roberts on the carousel and it's creepy as hell with music to match and then....

More ladies arguing.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Having had the opportunity to digest the episode, I have a few miscellaneous thoughts:

- The writers can't seem able to decide whether Lange is a mother figure whose ability to care for others is impaired by her lust for fame, or a megalomaniac that uses motherhood as a disguise to hide her true ambitions. This episode seemed to show her character in the best possible light, going out of her way to care for Pepper and make her happy, but those actions don't really line up well with her stabbing Paul or her attempts to murder Sarah Paulson. Early episodes of the last season had a similar problem, where it wasn't clear if Lange was actively sabotaging her Coven or a lovely Supreme.

- Speaking of which, I have some issues with Pepper's sister. It would be one thing to portray a reluctant mother who shifts negligence from herself to her sister, but casually murdering and mutilating her own child seemed cartoonish even for American Horror Story. I almost would have preferred it if the sister had not been involved in the infant's death, because she seemed like a subtle and nuanced character beforehand. I liked her being reluctant but well-intentioned and accidentally cruel.

- I rolled my eyes so hard that they almost fell out of my head when Emma Roberts started ranting. I also love that after watching Desiree tar and feather a man and after being told that she would die if she was found to be involved in Ma Petit's death that Emma Roberts's reaction is to take a weekend trip up to Brooklyn to show off Ma Petit's corpse to Desiree.

- Do the twins still believe Lange's story about an angry mob beheading freaks? I am still astounded that they seem to trust Lange after Lange has sold them and Kathy Bates moved them to a motel for protection. Discovering that Lange and Stanley are trying to kill them would be easy as asking anyone about Bates's death.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

TheBizzness posted:

Surprised to see so many people liked this episode. I thought it was boring as hell.

My favorite scene is when they slowly cut to Emma Roberts on the carousel and it's creepy as hell with music to match and then....

More ladies arguing.

That would have been a nice "Twisty and/or Dandy is right behind you" moment, but y'know.

The thing about Elsa, is that they've established her as needing to be dominant (consider that her original job was literally that of a dominatrix.) We see her trip one of the other chorus girls, presumably to get herself a better part. She then decides she can't just be the star, she also has to be in charge, thus begins her plan of collecting freaks to attract people to her own show. She takes in Pepper and has genuine affection for her, finding Salty and all, but also has her do her nails, fix her drinks, etc. And passing her back to her sister is partly to give her someone who loves her, but also partly to be rid of the responsibility as she aspires to head to Hollywood.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that her desire for fame clearly outweighs her desire to be motherly. Stanley effectively told her in this episode that her responsibility toward the camp was getting in the way. In essence, they were controlling her rather than the other way around. Which is also why she got rid of the twins and why she demanded someone get on the wheel. The freaks were always her family, and she was always happy to nurture and defend them. But now that something better has come along, she has to disassociate herself.

• Locked thread