Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

NPC armor is apparently bugged and a lot stronger than it's supposed to be atm.
Starbound is a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Asimo posted:

Starbound is a bad game.

To be fair, I've heard that player armor is also bugged and does less protection than it should so I think that balances it out.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

XboxPants posted:

To be fair, I've heard that player armor is also bugged and does less protection than it should so I think that balances it out.
Eight months for this patch.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Supernorn posted:

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me posting here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a game that I enjoy working on. You can't really expect me to take this thread seriously when you guys are just showing utter contempt towards me, the game or any reasonable means towards a discussion. So I'm going to peace out and you guys can continue doing whatever it is you think this is. Merry Christmas!
Incoming useless post to a useless thread (why am I still posting here help me).

Look man, I still think most of the game except combat is probably gonna shape up to be decent in...whenever the hell that winter update is.

But you're still the biggest troll in the thread at this point, basically. Even with such stiff competition as 'MSpaint poop guy'. Honestly I would not be surprised if someday it was revealed you are not actually that guy who works with chucklefish and just somebody with the username and the mods are in on a long joke at the thread's gullible expense which we loving deserve at this point.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, I get it. You asked "what ever happened to the multiple paths system" and I answered, the answer is that it's basically gone, there's now just the one main path. If you thought you were gonna be able to go through the game without fighting at all, well it ain't gonna happen, there's no "pacifist" route.

But the point I was bringing up is that there is some small remnants of that system in that you have a few different styles of play you can use while going down that one path. To be very specific, you have a few choices of what you want to do to earn pixels, for instance kill monsters or sell crops. I'm not telling you this is good or bad, but you asked so I'm telling you what the current state/plan of the game is.

Do you have a source on this? The thing I was looking forward to most in the game was the addition of the building path to progress.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
So I encountered a little bug, I was saving and loading to get back to the surface faster and the game decided to move my spawn for unknown reasons.

And since there is no way to change your spawn point ( a feature that has been requested for over a year ) I built a wooden tunnel over the ground so I could avoid combat as it was mostly tedious and annoying at this point which seems to be a trend with this game..

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I had dreams of setting up automated mining/farming networks, orbital stations, etc, all on different planets, creating an economic empire that would support my lavish pixel lifestyle. I'm guessing none of that is actually a thing, right?

I am led to believe there are alpacas however, so that's fairly similar

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bilal posted:

Do you have a source on this? The thing I was looking forward to most in the game was the addition of the building path to progress.

No, it's just based on the current progression where the only way to progress is to go through combat quests. I suppose it's possible they could add in build-based quests that gives you the same rewards eventually. I just haven't really heard any chatter about that in a while, they seem to be pretty enamored with this insane sandbox game w/ highly-directed gameplay style lately.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, I get it. You asked "what ever happened to the multiple paths system" and I answered, the answer is that it's basically gone, there's now just the one main path. If you thought you were gonna be able to go through the game without fighting at all, well it ain't gonna happen, there's no "pacifist" route.

So, essentially, it's another way the game isn't what Chucklefish originally advertised it as. Which is very unfortunate.

Basically, it feels like the game is becoming more and more restrictive when it was being pushed as a big open sandbox with tonnes of freedom. It's definitely not the game it was advertised as when I bought it. I'm not going to cry and ask for a refund or anything. I DID get some fun with the betas. Just a shame the final product doesn't seem like it's going to be much at all what I was looking for.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Not only is the development of Starbound extremely healthy. (More so than it’s ever been in fact, with more team members than ever and all of us in the same location). But Chucklefish could fund the development of Starbound for another 9 years at least. Even if we didn’t make another penny in that time. This includes all our office costs, salaries and every other kind of company expenditure. Sorry to disappoint the conspiracy theorists in the thread, but yeah. Even if we never made another penny on Starbound, we'd be totally fine. We're aiming to get the update out and potentially finish the game by years end because that's when we think we can do it. Not because of any financial constraints.

I was posting updates and stuff, but yeah. Honestly, it takes like three seconds to type playstarbound.com into your internet browser, but even easier to endlessly post every day for months about a game you're trying to fool people into believing you're not interested in.

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me posting here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a game that I enjoy working on. You can't really expect me to take this thread seriously when you guys are just showing utter contempt towards me, the game or any reasonable means towards a discussion. So I'm going to peace out and you guys can continue doing whatever it is you think this is. Merry Christmas!

So what you're saying is that I answered people's questions? It's true i'm the jerk. Lighten up, guy! Have an Alpaca:

...You guys don't like Alpacas I guess. Huh.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

So, essentially, it's another way the game isn't what Chucklefish originally advertised it as. Which is very unfortunate.

Basically, it feels like the game is becoming more and more restrictive when it was being pushed as a big open sandbox tonnes of freedom.

Some of it I even understand. If they say creating good automated mining/farming networks, orbital stations, those kind of features, if that's too hard/they're too lazy then hey whatever. No use wishing for what could be, but isn't. But it seems like a lot of is potentially there, they've just thrown on unnecessary shackles that they could easily remove.

Like hey, instead of making you go through a quest, just let the player craft the ship upgrades with X amount of resources as a normal recipe. Boom, the game is way more sandboxy. And you can still leave in that mission where you fight the pink guys if you think it's awesome, just include it as a random thing that can spawn on a planet, now it's even more sandboxy.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Asimo posted:

Eight months for this patch.

three years of development

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

What's a realpost and whats a shitpost?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

XboxPants posted:

No, it's just based on the current progression where the only way to progress is to go through combat quests. I suppose it's possible they could add in build-based quests that gives you the same rewards eventually. I just haven't really heard any chatter about that in a while, they seem to be pretty enamored with this insane sandbox game w/ highly-directed gameplay style lately.
What, you're holding out hope for everything but this? I'm sure alternate progression will come after they get these missions taken care of!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Blackheart posted:

Starbound for another 9 years at least.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
I take solace in the fact that no matter how Starbound eventually ends up, it will never be worse than this thread.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I'm hoping the stable patch will still be on target for January release. I'm really having an 'obsessive building and sandboxing' urge that my current batch of games isn't fulfilling.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Can we just close this thread to detox until the patch comes out.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

No. This is the perfect thread for Starbound.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

ColHannibal posted:

Can we just close this thread to detox until the patch comes out.

So close it forever then?

Musluk
May 23, 2011

I don't think I wanna live in a world where the starbound thread is closed because goons got buttmad about people calling a bad game bad.

can't decide if 15 bucks was good enough to at least have this thread, most signs point to yes

Orv
May 4, 2011
So is Starbound the new Cortex Command?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Section Z posted:

Look man, I still think most of the game except combat is probably gonna shape up to be decent in...whenever the hell that winter update is.
Too bad combat takes up so much of the game and is required to progress.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

Too bad combat takes up so much of the game and is required to progress.

I know :negative:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov posted:

Schrodinger's post.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Raskolnikov posted:

Mama, just played a game
Got a patch up, checked the thread.
Clicked the launcher, now it's dead.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Orv posted:

So is Starbound the new Cortex Command?

no because people actually gave a poo poo about starbound at one point in time

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Reiley posted:

Mama, just played a game
Got a patch up, checked the thread.
Clicked the launcher, now it's dead.

Mama, updates had just begun
and now you've gone and shown an alpaca

Mama, oooooooh
Didn't mean to make him cry
If you're not back again this time tomorrow
Carry on, carry on, as if this game really matters

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm sure it's probably just me but does anyone else think having premade identical dungeons in a game focused almost 100% around random generation is a bad idea?
Like the fact that you can explain exactly what to do in the quest dungeons including like "go left and this will be there, then drop down and this will be there" as something that happens every single time seems really counter intuitive because the rest of the game is all random and procedural and whatever and this is just the same loving thing for absolutely everyone and why would you do that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

I'm sure it's probably just me but does anyone else think having premade identical dungeons in a game focused almost 100% around random generation is a bad idea?
Like the fact that you can explain exactly what to do in the quest dungeons including like "go left and this will be there, then drop down and this will be there" as something that happens every single time seems really counter intuitive because the rest of the game is all random and procedural and whatever and this is just the same loving thing for absolutely everyone and why would you do that.

Imagine Apex facility platforming. Imagine getting through that.

Now imagine it, procedurally generated, and trying to get through it.

Static premade dungeons Vs procedural locations isn't really an issue. Well, so long as the static stuff is worthwhile and has enough variety :v: (Hello, same exact little asteroid with one locked full of maybe one terrible weapon drop, that I visited twelve of in a row just by traveling vertically)

EDIT: I do see where you are coming from though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 18, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Section Z posted:

Imagine Apex facility platforming. Imagine getting through that.

Now imagine it, procedurally generated, and trying to get through it.

Static premade dungeons Vs procedural locations isn't really an issue. Well, so long as the static stuff is worthwhile and has enough variety :v: (Hello, same exact little asteroid with one locked full of maybe one terrible weapon drop, that I visited twelve of in a row just by traveling vertically)

EDIT: I do see where you are coming from though.
But there's like a difference between a dungeon made of procedurally connected, generated rooms (like Terraria did) and just the exact same thing over and over. In Apex facilities you can have platforming in each room premade and then just slap the rooms together, which I was pretty sure was how they intended to do dungeons, but there are so few rooms in the pool that the overlap between two random dungeons is almost 100%, and the storyline dungeon sounds like it's exactly the same every time with no generation whatsoever.
Having huge significant areas be exactly the same in every game is going to make the random generation feel way out of place in comparison, even more like it's just filler between segments.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
gently caress Chucklefish

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

ubachung posted:

I take solace in the fact that no matter how Starbound eventually ends up, it will never be worse than this thread.

you take that back. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rrussom posted:

you take that back. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Why, he's right.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

ubachung posted:

This is true but it's not going to go down without a fight

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Bauxite posted:

Why, he's right.

I will not hear ANYTHING against my beloved thread.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The worst part of this is knowing that I defended Chucklefish and Starbound real hard.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I take solace in the fact that no matter how Starbound eventually ends up, it will never be better than this thread.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

Realpost = You agree with it. (Combat sucks.)
Shitpost = You disagree with it. (Alpacas.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you're not going to take this thread seriously then alpaca my bags and leave.

• Locked thread