Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

IPCRESS posted:

I think it's because of a previous 'fix' to 'stop' people from 'using' AHK.

Ahem.
It's almost definitely this. Which didn't even stop AHK, just made it slightly more annoying to use. No more minimizing the game and doing other stuff on your computer while your character fills Droz with party poppers all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeJF posted:

They're terrified of member loss in the wake of crashing numbers after Delta Rising so they'll accede to anything.

Delta Rising didn't interest me enough to start playing again, nothing Cryptic's done since has changed that feeling.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Cythereal posted:

Delta Rising didn't interest me enough to start playing again, nothing Cryptic's done since has changed that feeling.

Will removing all party popper effects woo you back?

Edit: Everyone say HI to Saint Olivia! Apparently he stumbled upon my SA forums name and thinks he is being pretty sly working it into his STO posts.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21314471&postcount=38

Don't be a lurker, Olivia, we'd love to hear from you, after you make your mandatory FYAD introduction post, that is.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 17, 2014

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

DonDoodles posted:

Will removing all party popper effects woo you back?

Edit: Everyone say HI to Saint Olivia! Apparently he stumbled upon my SA forums name and thinks he is being pretty sly working it into his STO posts.

Don't be a lurker, Olivia, we'd love to hear from you, after you make your mandatory FYAD introduction post, that is.

I know Olivia in real life. His name is Kevin and lives with his parents because in first grade someone threw a snowball at him and he never recovered.

Trigger warnings are hard for him during this time of the year on ESD.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

So, which one of you has a spare Sheshar for sale? I was going to wait a bit to see if the price dropped, but I hadn't anticipated the fact that Cryptic murdered the game's player base so badly with DR* that they'd entirely vanish off the exchange while the promotion was still running. I could troll around trade channels looking for one but I'd rather give credits to a goon given the option. Just toss @asimo an in-game mail if you're got an offer.

*The "account protection" bullshit with keys/boxes bought with steam money that makes everything in them bound-to-account probably isn't helping any either.

DonDoodles posted:

Besides, joining up gives you all the secrets of the dentals! It's too good an offer to pass up. C'mon in and say hi! :toot:

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Hello, I just started up with this game and rolled a federation alien engineer (the two friends that I plan on playing with already rolled tactics and science). However, the OP seems to indicate that engineers are kind of bad. Do they have worthwhile redeeming qualities, or should I just reroll tactics before I get too far in?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Androc posted:

Hello, I just started up with this game and rolled a federation alien engineer (the two friends that I plan on playing with already rolled tactics and science). However, the OP seems to indicate that engineers are kind of bad. Do they have worthwhile redeeming qualities, or should I just reroll tactics before I get too far in?

At this point starting up the game at all was maybe not the best choice. They're running this poo poo into the ground.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Androc posted:

As noted, the game is going full asian-style F2P cash shop bullshit. It's not quite there yet, but the writing's on the wall.

That said, as long as you don't mind ignoring that poo poo you can get some fun out of it. Engineer is actually quite fun on ground missions (chroniton mines absolutely trivialize any queue with a lot of melee enemies, for example), but they're weak enough at space stuff that yeah I'd reroll if you're not too far in yet. The main issues are that they're overloaded with healing (a well-built ship doesn't really need it in PVE), the rest of their abilities revolve around power levels (a non-issue in high-end endgame stuff at the moment), and they have absolutely no direct damage boosters (which scale crazily at the moment, and more damage is always good).

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah Tac Rom is the optimal choice at this point. You're going to want a few alts anyways and you should have 3 char slots so keep the engi if/when you do roll a new character.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Asimo posted:

So, which one of you has a spare Sheshar for sale? I was going to wait a bit to see if the price dropped, but I hadn't anticipated the fact that Cryptic murdered the game's player base so badly with DR* that they'd entirely vanish off the exchange while the promotion was still running. I could troll around trade channels looking for one but I'd rather give credits to a goon given the option. Just toss @asimo an in-game mail if you're got an offer.

*The "account protection" bullshit with keys/boxes bought with steam money that makes everything in them bound-to-account probably isn't helping any either.

Besides, joining up gives you all the secrets of the dentals! It's too good an offer to pass up. C'mon in and say hi! :toot:

I've been pestering Wesley's in mumble about sheshars since last week on the off chance one of them had bought up all the stock. No dice.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

g0del posted:

It's almost definitely this. Which didn't even stop AHK, just made it slightly more annoying to use. No more minimizing the game and doing other stuff on your computer while your character fills Droz with party poppers all day long.

Are you using the third script setup from here?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aleth posted:

I've been pestering Wesley's in mumble about sheshars since last week on the off chance one of them had bought up all the stock. No dice.
Impressive. Good work, Cryptic. :downs:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

UoI posted:

Are you using the third script setup from here?
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I honestly stopped paying too much attention to AHK shenanigans when cryptic killed contra farming.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Asimo posted:

Impressive. Good work, Cryptic. :downs:

Actually I briefly saw two up on the exchange just now, one at 450m one at 500m. They vanished before I could grab one though.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

DonDoodles posted:

Hey dude, glad to have you here! Now that you're onto our secret hangout just make that post in FYAD, fill out recruitment form J4G from the wiki (once you have access) and you can join in all the fun!

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The only ship that's really caught my fancy in a while was the Voth star destroyer, and that one just so I could make an alt to dress up like an Imperial. Unfortunately to have the thing work with all the bells and whistles you need two other ships, one of which is insanely rare, so that one's remaining an unfulfilled dream.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

g0del posted:

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I honestly stopped paying too much attention to AHK shenanigans when cryptic killed contra farming.

Just making sure it still works so I can find a way around their "fix" if need be.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Ended up rerolling as tactical, could I have access to the wiki? I have no idea what I'm doing. :v:

Same name as my current username.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Be anything, fly anything. It's not like this poo poo is hard.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

quote:

You have received a warning at Star Trek Online.

Reason:
-------
Obscene/Vulgar/Inappropriate or Objectionable Material

One of your postings has resulted in this moderation. You are receiving this warning because of the following violation:

While I can't be entirely sure of your context, this post contains an offensive reference. Please do not do this again. Your post is being moderated.

Please take a moment to review our Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies (here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/an...ment.php?&a=51) to help ensure no further missteps with your postings, which could lead to infractions. Infractions lead to a temporary suspension of your account, up to, and including, a permanent ban.

Again, this was just a warning, and not an infraction. PWE shall, in its sole discretion, identify infractions and assign the points value for each infraction. Infraction points may only be given by a member of the PWE Community Team, and may not be given by a Community Moderator.

If you feel that anyone has posted content that warrants moderation, please report the offending post via submitting a Forums and Website Ticket (https://support.perfectworld.com/) and one of the moderators will look into the matter further.

Report violations, do not quote them or reply to them. Responding to a violation in an inflammatory manner is a violation in itself and will result in appropriate action.

We look forward to your continued support and participation in our community!

Thanks!

Bluegeek
Community Moderator for the STO Forums

Original Post:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=21308841

quote:

this patch is basically the bill cosby of game patches

Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Star Trek Online

look at all dis fascism

e: lol at that guy bringing up your terrible posting history nabreeki

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Acer Pilot posted:

Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Star Trek Online

look at all dis fascism

e: lol at that guy bringing up your terrible posting history nabreeki

Haha, holy poo poo that is hilarious.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

look at all dis fascism
ahahahahahahaha :allears:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
No discussing the release notes allowed in the release notes thread. GG bluedork

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
The Bill Cosby of volunteer moderators.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I think the volunteer job is starting to wear on him a bit, probably not been helped by the reaction to DR and the hordes voicing their anger in the forums.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Androc posted:

Ended up rerolling as tactical, could I have access to the wiki? I have no idea what I'm doing. :v:

You're in.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Androc posted:

Note that a lot of the builds on the wiki are fairly out of date. They're not horrible, they're just not optimal anymore. But I'm not sure anyone cares enough about the game to add updated builds to the wiki so just ask in chat if you've got questions.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'd update some except I am horribly incompetent and bad at video games so you really shouldn't listen to my advice ever.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

I'd update some except I am horribly incompetent and bad at video games so you really shouldn't listen to my advice ever.

Same.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Asimo posted:

Yea, anytime I think I know something and run it by chat or the thread I'm either out of date or just wrong. Going by this thread and what I've seen on reddit I'm beginning to think only 3 or 4 people actually understand that game's systems and math, or at least took the time to do the math and the rest of us are just iterating on what they've passed along.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 18, 2014

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

In fairness it's not like even Cryptic knows how this game works either.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Yea, anytime I think I know something and run it by chat or the thread I'm either out of date or just wrong. Going by this thread and what I've seen on reddit I'm begging to think only 3 or 4 people actually give a poo poo because the game is tuned for autist/ERP scrublords who slot universals for tac consoles and poo poo mines and boarding parties everywhere.

Now more accurate. You can out DPS most pubbies with an NX-01 if you know what you're doing so why put in the effort to min/max?

I think I liked the game better when it was just Elite Taskforces between rounds of extinguishing perverts in Drozana, the Asian F2P Grind poo poo really hosed up what little game there was.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Hi, I seem to have deleted from my channels or somehow lost access to our TheNextGooneration channel. Not really sure how I did that, but I would appreciate another invite, as I don't seem to be able to just rejoin the channel. In game name/handle is Chen@EmeraldRogue. Thanks!

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Emerald Rogue posted:

Hi, I seem to have deleted from my channels or somehow lost access to our TheNextGooneration channel. Not really sure how I did that, but I would appreciate another invite, as I don't seem to be able to just rejoin the channel. In game name/handle is Chen@EmeraldRogue. Thanks!

You're reinvited.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I think I liked the game better when it was just Elite Taskforces between rounds of extinguishing perverts in Drozana, the Asian F2P Grind poo poo really hosed up what little game there was.
This. I don't generally have time to spend hours each day grinding argala or whatever the current dev-approved leveling spot is. It was nice to be able to log on and knock out 3 STFs really quick with goons. And if there weren't any goons on, several of the eSTFs were still easily puggable.

Now, I log on to doff/craft/rep, and then log off. Or sometimes run some winter races to get epohhs because that's quicker than getting marks the normal way.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Release notes for 12/18/14 posted:

General:

“Tide of Ice"
Players can now gain winter trinkets by participating in any wave by entering the “Tide of Ice” area and selecting the prompt "Join the Battle."
This must be done and participate through to the end of the event in order to gain completion credit.
This will also allow credit to complete the Accolade "A Line in the Snow."
New Winter Event items will continue to not require completion of “Tide of Ice” to purchase.
Resolved an issue that prevented the 3 piece Unspeakable Energy bonus from working on the Elachi Sheshar Dreadnought Cruiser.
The Elachi Subspace Rift Module can now be unequipped from a kit.
Duty Officer Packs:
Removed Powered/Unpowered Artifacts and Mark XII Consoles from all Duty Officer Packs as these are now obsolete with the new Research and Development system.
Added new bonus items to the Gamma Quadrant Duty Officer Pack such as:
Stack of Gamma Quadrant commodities
A stack of Embassy, Dilithium Mine, or Spire Provisions.
A set of 4 Fleet Modules.
Updated the provision bonus award for the Fleet Support Duty Officer and the Romulan Survivor Duty Officer Packs to include the chance to win a stack of Embassy, Dilithium Mine, or Spire Provisions.

Known Issues:

Numerous uniform clipping issues with the Talaxian Dress Uniform, Female Odyssey uniforms with collars, and Female Khan Upper piece.
Intelligence Team is not applying the Stealth buff.
The account wide discount for the Breen Chel Grett is not functioning as intended for some players.

Tell me what's missing from these patch notes :allears:

Dare we hope?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cryptic really, really hosed up with the Elite->Advanced queue change and everyone knows it. Nobody wants to pug a queue where there's a not-zero chance of failing and getting jack poo poo for the time, and normal queues aren't worth the effort, so... everyone's stopped queueing entirely except for the handful of things that are "safe" and rewarding enough (CCA and BHE, pretty much). Whereas beforehand you had a dozen different queues you could do that would get some dilithium, some marks, and you could carry even the dumbest pug through them eventually. It's such a bizarre nerf in the expansion and with such an easy fix, and the fact Cryptic has studiously avoided talking about it or making efforts to change it makes it pretty clear it's some retarded mandate handed down from PWE for... some... reason or another. To slow down the grind? To encourage the sales of dilithium and item upgrades? Something.

But the game's hosed for the majority of the playerbase until Cryptic somehow backs down on that, so whelp. :geno:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Preechr posted:

Dare we hope?

Dear Leader pulled some strings.

On a related note, The Interview won't be showing in theaters.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Preechr posted:

Dare we hope?

Hopefully they've realised after the discoball complaints and now snowball complaints that these people are never going to be pleased until the game is a single rp room with only their greenlisted friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I don't like to doom and gloom but I run almost exclusively ground STFs and sitting with my window open much of the time there is like, only five people actually running a queue at a time.

That may be because people are really busy with the winter event (?) Or people who play STO are dumb but those elite queues are dumb easy for anyone with just a jem'hadar set and some sense and very profitable.

The Borg and arguably rhino station almost demand a TR unless you really know what you're doing (why not just buy a TR by that point though?) But TRs are so cheap they can be bought just running bug hunt like, eight times by this point and selling the salvage.

• Locked thread