Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

dik-dik posted:

Uh I'm like 10 minutes in and so far it's standard terrible Bill Burr poo poo. I'm probably going to hate the remaining 70 minutes, right?

The rest is bill burr poo poo.

If you think bill burr is poo poo right off the bat of course you're going to hate it. What did you expect? Doug Standhope to come up and push him off the stage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

dik-dik posted:

Uh I'm like 10 minutes in and so far it's standard terrible Bill Burr poo poo. I'm probably going to hate the remaining 70 minutes, right?

Yes. Bill Burr is a funny dude but his whole "women :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:" persona does nothing for me aside from making the Redditors of the world self-identify by referencing his routines without irony.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

NeoSeeker posted:

The rest is bill burr poo poo.

If you think bill burr is poo poo right off the bat of course you're going to hate it. What did you expect? Doug Standhope to come up and push him off the stage?

Doug Stanhope is even worse. Though I'd pay to see the two spontaneously get in a fight during a stand-up set, maybe we'd be rid of one of them.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Bill Burr is really funny. His poo poo on Arnold Schwarzenegger is pure gold.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I think the helicopter stuff from Burr's special is the best stand up bit I've seen in years. Are the Chelsea Peretti and Nick Offerman specials any good?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

I think the helicopter stuff from Burr's special is the best stand up bit I've seen in years. Are the Chelsea Peretti and Nick Offerman specials any good?

Chelsea perettis and was pretty great. Nick offer mans was good background noise.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I watched the first 15 minutes of the Nick Offerman special and the biggest laugh line was when he said "jackassery" and awkwardly paused for applause

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Magnus Gallant posted:

Chelsea perettis and was pretty great. Nick offer mans was good background noise.

Seconding this. I'm not normally into Chelsea Peretti, but this last special was great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, it wasn't so much the acting as it was just the script. Like the witch hunters are played up to be this big badass nemesis, but at every step of the way they're woefully incompetent. The coven's big play against them is to cast a spell that puts the SEC onto their company? :what: Then the hunters blindly walk into a slaughter and die without a fight. The End. And resurrection is sold as this big deal, but half the characters can do it, and it's used with next to no consequences. Same with the daughter's sight. She's blinded, then can see again, then blinded again, then can see again. Kathy Bate's character (woefully underdeveloped) is chopped up...then reassembled and essentially back to 100%. And it's not like that's novel since they did it to Mr. Not-Sure-Why-I'm-An-Important-Character undead frat boy boyfriend. Like, they waffled on everything and nothing seemed to have any consequences. It just didn't make for a good story even though the setting and characters were interesting.

Oh, and the last few episodes had several random Stevie Nicks music videos in them. For some reason.

I agree with everything negative said about AHS: Season 3. I loving loved season 1 and kinda liked season 2, so it's obvious that the quality is just dropping off. I think if I were to re-watch season 3, I would like it even less, because I would see all the red herring plots that, like everyone has said, just went absolutely nowhere. Undead frat boyfriend is the perfect example. Why spend so many episodes focusing on him being an idiot, and then just snap your fingers and have him be normal? What was the point of that at all? Or Why have the main girl gently caress people to death? She uses her power to rape an unconscious dude to death. I thought maybe some sort of interesting plot thing would come out of her deadly snatch but it never happened.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

K. Waste posted:

Bill Burr is really funny. His poo poo on Arnold Schwarzenegger is pure gold.

But but he makes fun of women sometimes :qq:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Aye Doc posted:

Peretti rules, Offerman is him sadly doing his Ron Swanson character without anyone to play off.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Peretti rules, Offerman is him sadly doing his Ron Swanson character without anyone to play off.

Offerman's special was pretty bad. I was diving across the couch for the remote when he pulled out the acoustic. Talented performer uses celebrity to fill a hall so he can do open mic quality stand up. Christ. It was the Gigli of stand up specials.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

As far as I know, he never did any stand-up to begin with, so God knows why he suddenly decided to start. I know Ricky Gervais said he did stand-up specials after the Office to prove he could do it -- I wonder if Offerman thought the same, or whether an agent just told him it was easy money.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Daedra posted:

But but he makes fun of women sometimes :qq:

Eh, people are fine with him making fun of women. It's more...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yes. Bill Burr is a funny dude but his whole "women :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:" persona does nothing for me aside from making the Redditors of the world self-identify by referencing his routines without irony.

Which I'm not gonna poo-poo because we've all been put off by the 'those types' prejudices that keep us away from things we might even otherwise enjoy (or that we don't like anyway and merely reinforce our distaste), but it's worth un-packaging. Like, someone enjoying a joke 'without irony' is basically, at least to me, merely them enjoying it the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Whether that person is then an rear end in a top hat who legitimately endorses the philosophy behind a joke or that the joke merely pretends to endorse is a separate matter. The alternative is, like, 'ironically' enjoying a joke, which suggests that you're putting intentional distance between yourself and the joker.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I didn't like Peretti and I didn't like Offerman. I turned them both off at around the 20 minute mark. Offerman was definitely the more...I don't want to say "pathetic" but it's the only word I'm coming up with...pathetic of the two. His first (and only one that I saw) song was actually not very good and not very funny. He was just doing Swanson and apparently a friend of mine who LOVED the special and recommended it to me admitted that 50% of the set is just poo poo from his book, Paddle Your Own Canoe. So, yuck.

Peretti's jokes just didn't work for me but there was nothing wrong with her set. If you want a sort of "phony obnoxious" comedic performance and like her character on Brooklyn 99 I can see her being a big hit. Between the two, pick Peretti.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
A joke is either funny or it isn't. It doesn't matter what the subject of the joke is if the joke is funny.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Well poo poo, every episode of Pee-Wee's Playhouse just went up on Netflix.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Erebus posted:

Well poo poo, every episode of Pee-Wee's Playhouse just went up on Netflix.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I thought Offerman's special was terrible. I liked Peretti's, and loved Burr's. I enjoyed the stylistic choices of the Peretti and Burr specials. The weird interludes and black-and-white presentation, respectively.

Burr is able to bring up some weird dark stuff about some topics without sound like a racist or sexist. He's had years of honing his act and I think he knocked it out of the park. But I also really like Jim Jeffries' special, so maybe I'm tone-deaf.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'm watching the Offerman special now. My hypothesis is that he's milking the Ron Swanson shtick while the gettin's good, and maybe it's like a mega-troll on idiot libertarians. Like if you read his book, Paddle Your Own Canoe, in his private life he's mostly the complete opposite of the character.

Larry the Cable Guy, for example, was a normal guy from Florida who invented this character and basically has to live it daily because it's so profitable to pander to morons.

E: Well that's enough of that. Time to finish Broadchurch.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 19, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Not sure when It's Such A Beautiful Day went up, but I guess it's finally time to watch that

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Erebus posted:

I know Ricky Gervais said he did stand-up specials after the Office to prove he could do it.

I think all Gervais proved was that he really can't do standup.

His standup work isn't offensively bad or anything, it's just so aggresively mediocre.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

His standup work isn't offensively bad or anything, it's just so aggresively mediocre.

To be fair, so is Ricky Gervais.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Paper Kaiju posted:

I know someone who would disagree with you about that. His name is Ricky Gervais.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ricky Gervais was in Grand Theft Auto 4. I think that's a little thing we in the biz like to call the "big time"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Paper Kaiju posted:

Hey, I'll give it to Gervais that he does the best crying acting in Hollywood. The scene where his mom dies in The Invention of Lying was some serious acting chops. Any other actor "cries" and it's all stiff upper lips and glycerine tears oozing down their dumb faces. Gervais was just a blubbering mess, like real people.

Other than that, yeah, he's just meh.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

morestuff posted:

Not sure when It's Such A Beautiful Day went up, but I guess it's finally time to watch that

It's good, watch it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is labyrinth still any good and or the dark crystal

I've been watching a bunch of loving bond movies

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A MIRACLE posted:

The Dark Crystal has amazing set design, special effects, and atmosphere. The main character and the overall plot is pretty lame though, so it depends on how much you despise standard fantasy tropes.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Holy poo poo everyone watch Phase IV. I'd seen this as a kid in theaters and remember being blown away and disturbed by it but I pretty much forgot everything about it since then.

If you like sci fi at all, or creature features, watch this. I forgot how much of a technical tour de force many of the sequences are. I can only imagine how awesome this could be with a little more budget, although these days they'd do a lot of it with stupid CGI and remove everything awesome about the effects.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A MIRACLE posted:

The music and Bowie hold up in Labyrinth. The rest of it really doesn't, however, unless you have a massive nostalgia boner for it.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

I saw Labyrinth for the first time a few years ago, and I remember being really impressed even then with the practical effects. All the puppet stuff holds up really well, with the one exception being the Chilly Down sequence which has really rough and very obvious chroma keying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb-qrGGnHA4

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Zwabu posted:

Holy poo poo everyone watch Phase IV. I'd seen this as a kid in theaters and remember being blown away and disturbed by it but I pretty much forgot everything about it since then.

If you like sci fi at all, or creature features, watch this. I forgot how much of a technical tour de force many of the sequences are. I can only imagine how awesome this could be with a little more budget, although these days they'd do a lot of it with stupid CGI and remove everything awesome about the effects.

Essental viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beLpsWaUDNk (mild :nws:)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Boywhiz88 posted:

Burr is able to bring up some weird dark stuff about some topics without sound like a racist or sexist. He's had years of honing his act and I think he knocked it out of the park. But I also really like Jim Jeffries' special, so maybe I'm tone-deaf.

Yeah, this is kinda where I'm at with it. I think it's both because all the sexism/etc is couched in self-aware irony and not the entire shtick.

I wasn't that into Peretti, though. Her stand-up was actually decently funny, but two fake opening and the fake 'wacky' interludes got pretty obnoxious.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

A MIRACLE posted:

The best part of Dark Crystal is the guys on stilts

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Didn't someone say 13 Sins got pulled? Cause I just watched it and it was pretty drat good.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

at the Devils door needs a plot, pacing, and narrative focus other the that it's terrible. Don't bother.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

precision posted:

Didn't someone say 13 Sins got pulled? Cause I just watched it and it was pretty drat good.

I normally love the movies everyone hates as well as the ones they love, but I thought this movie was big time dumb. Normally seeing the twist coming does not diminish my enjoyment of a movie but for some reason it just killed this one.

Watched The Babadook tonight, really liked it but was unsure what the ending was trying to say

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Samfucius posted:

Watched The Babadook tonight, really liked it but was unsure what the ending was trying to say

I really liked it as well. My take was the Babadook was the physical manifestation of the grief over losing her husband, grief which was becoming all consuming and destroying their lives. Eventually she manages to cope and control her grief, but you can never really get rid of grief of that magnitude. It'll always haunt you, but you learn to manage it, and hopefully keep it confined and under control so it doesn't harm you or those around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I don't suppose there's a reverse system where you can look up a movie and see what streaming services it's on?

• Locked thread