Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

I can't believe I'm arguing about this as an avowed meat eater, but you're wrong. Get your RDA of protein from complete sources and you're good.

Huh? What's there to argue about? I'm just making fun of some article about vegan sources of protein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

The U.S. Council of Bishops and people like Cardinal Dolan are catholic though, so they very much care.

Honestly the internal politics of the Holy See could cover its own thread.

US Council of Catholic Bishops also unequivocally denounced CIA torture and has been demanding an end to the Cuban embargo so...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

greatn posted:

What's the next thing Obama could do by fiat to simultaneously help people and troll republicans. Normalize relations with Cuba, immigration executive order, and declaring carbon a pollutant, I feel like he got all the low hanging fruit. Any other awesome things he would totally have the power to do, and maybe would?

Begin issuing clemencies for everyone on death row.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

DemeaninDemon posted:

Why the gently caress should they even care? Evangelical assholes aren't even catholic.

Santorum is a Catholic who courted many evangelicals.

Evangelical assholes also care about Israel even though Jews have to sit in the back of their revelation bus.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Ya'll need to learn the art of pushing the right buttons with fishmech. Hey fishmech, I'd give up my 1st Amendment rights before the 2nd, because then I could vote from the rooftops to force Uncle Sam to give me the 1A back.

forbidden lesbian posted:

weed sucks, legalize acid instead

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Santorum is a Catholic who courted many evangelicals.

Evangelical assholes also care about Israel even though Jews have to sit in the back of their revelation bus.

Well yeah Israel's support, other than mutual hatred of the other Abrahamic religion, comes from it being the Jesus Trap.

Sweatervast Man was really good at the fetus = real person thing. Like creepy good.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Stultus Maximus posted:

US Council of Catholic Bishops also unequivocally denounced CIA torture and has been demanding an end to the Cuban embargo so...

Just because they are in agreement doesn't mean they are in agreement.

Welcome to the insanity that is the internal politics of the Holy See. This is an organization where the color of the shoes you wear can be a major thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Francis - Franken, 2016.

edit:

Serious question though: how can we have a torture prison in a country where we don't even have an embassy? Or am I that naive?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 18, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BiggerBoat posted:

Francis - Franken, 2016.

Heh,

I was thinking Hilary, Franken would make a good ticket. Although, I'd prefer Franken, someone else that seems less likely.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Amergin posted:

The fact that much of US corn is used as animal feed should justify it enough, unless you're a vegan. But given that nobody has posted about how they're vegan and how awesome it is, and that I'm surrounded by goons, I'm assuming none of you are vegan.

We shouldn't be producing so much corn because we shouldn't be feeding so many animals. Something like 1/3 of global GHG emissions are from agriculture, and the livestock supply-chain makes up close to half of that.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

disheveled posted:

We shouldn't be producing so much corn because we shouldn't be feeding so many animals. Something like 1/3 of global GHG emissions are from agriculture, and the livestock supply-chain makes up close to half of that.

But the intensity of our agricultural production is what makes it possible to go to any Golden Corral nationwide and stick a half rack of ribs under the chocolate wonderfall.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

disheveled posted:

So we shouldn't be eating as much meat is what you're saying?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

There are also a number of Democrats that came very close, despite the low turnout, like Hagan and Crist. This would have absolutely sunk the Crist campaign.

What? No loving way. Ho so?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Amergin posted:

So we shouldn't be eating as much meat is what you're saying?

Your posts aren't pissing me off and I feel so empty inside :(

Did you abandon the gimmick? :( :(

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Serious question though: how can we have a torture prison in a country where we don't even have an embassy? Or am I that naive?

We claim Guantanamo is in some sort of perpetual lease situation. They disagree, but not enough to do anything about it. There's more to it, but that's the gist, anyhow.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

disheveled posted:

"Animal farts are a leading cause of global climate change.:colbert:"
This never fails to confuse me, since it sounds like such utter bullshit.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
SC is leading the way in repairing race relations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiggerBoat posted:

The US claimed the area of Guantanamo Bay as a price for freeing them from the Spanish in the Spanish-American War.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Oh right the modern evangelicals sole purpose in life is to shove their bastardized version of Christianity into everyone's face. Then see how many pocket bibles fit in the vag/uterus.

It is time for another crusade, this time against evangelicals and the heresies of the prosperity gospel :catholic:!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What is it about Beltway journalists that makes their Twitter jokes the most insufferable thing in the English language?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ufarn posted:

What is it about Beltway journalists that makes their Twitter jokes the most insufferable thing in the English language?

The need to appear serious and neutral and like they're the adults in the room when they're conspicuously idiots.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

greatn posted:

What's the next thing Obama could do by fiat to simultaneously help people and troll republicans. Normalize relations with Cuba, immigration executive order, and declaring carbon a pollutant, I feel like he got all the low hanging fruit. Any other awesome things he would totally have the power to do, and maybe would?
Pardon all non-violent drug offenders currently in prison.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Francis - Franken, 2016.

edit:

We rented it from Cuba for $2000 a year back in 1903 for essentially as long as we want.

We did not index that $2000 to inflation.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Please tell me the base commander has to hand a check for 2 grand over to the Cuban soldier standing closest to the gate once a year :allears:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Please tell me the base commander has to hand a check for 2 grand over to the Cuban soldier standing closest to the gate once a year :allears:

We send Cuba a check each year and naturally they rip it up rather than deposit it :v:

I think the treaty technically calls for us to pay it in gold though, they should demand the coins.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I think the treaty technically calls for us to pay it in gold though, they should demand the coins.

Face value, right?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Corn.

What a ridiculous derail.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

We send Cuba a check each year and naturally they rip it up rather than deposit it :v:

How often did Ron Paul file this bill?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Talmonis posted:

It kind of is. A lot of it is careless referencing of a terrible retracted UN report from years ago that used inconsistent measurements to vastly overstate the carbon production of agriculture in general and livestock in particular. Though it is true that the environmental impact of agriculture would be a lot lower if we didn't feed so many food crops to cattle.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

evilweasel posted:

God drat I thought you were kidding.

So..."normalizing relations" with Cuba and lifting an embargo is outrageous but renting out a torture prison for less than what an apartment in Manhattan costs per month is considered totally normal and any attempts to close it are unpatriotic. I'm honestly having a hard time figuring out how this can even work logistically, let alone morally.

How does security work? Is it just that Jack Nicholson wall/fence line from 'A Few Good Men'? How do they get food and water in and out? And lawyers (hahaha, yeah right)? How are sanitation, power and general infrastructure handled? What do the soldiers do that are stationed there when they're not torturing people?

So we just rent this land, build a jail and a fence, place soldiers and arms there and they just let us do whatever we want? loving weird.

"Oh. Someone wants some cigars and a quart of rum? gently caress NO! and gently caress you Obama!"

uncurable mlady posted:

The moral of the story: Terrorism works!

That's what FOX News is saying. Not even kidding.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

We rented it from Cuba for $2000 a year back in 1903 for essentially as long as we want.

We did not index that $2000 to inflation.

lol a year of rent on Gitmo costs less than a month of rent on a 1-bedroom in many American major cities :v:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Zeppelins to be deployed in defense of DC. Ron Paul fans rejoice!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Talmonis posted:

Not so much fart as it is machinery required to get baby cow out of the mommy cow and into my mouth.

Though animal fart sounds more funny yeah.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Azuth0667 posted:

It is time for another crusade, this time against evangelicals and the heresies of the prosperity gospel :catholic:!

This but unironically. It's time to split the church and get rid of the right-wing assholes since it's not like their donations reach Rome when they'd made to Megachurch Conman Pastor #903284890

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So a question about the Sony hack. If NK has learned they can hire hacking squads with impunity and severely damage a multinational corporation, should I be quite concerned as an employee of a South Korean major multinational corporation? I'm trying to think of reasons why North Korea wouldn't target their neighbours economy by means they can easily get away with and I'm coming up short.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

This but unironically. It's time to split the church and get rid of the right-wing assholes since it's not like their donations reach Rome when they'd made to Megachurch Conman Pastor #903284890

It would go a long way towards fostering respect for the Catholic church if they would make a deliberate effort to differentiate themselves from the shittier parts of Protestantism.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

anonumos posted:

Corn.

What a ridiculous derail.

Korn sucks, why did anyone ever listen to them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DemeaninDemon posted:

I remember seeing somewhere about how being vegan is really easy and you can totally get a complete variety of amino acids. Except, at the concentrations in the article, one would consume like a pound of each plant. Mmmmmm pound o raw leafy green.

Vegan confuses me so much.

Veganism is pretty much a phase. Most people who try it revert to plan vegetarianism after a while, since it's so much easier, cheaper, and convenient.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Nintendo Kid posted:

Veganism is pretty much a phase. Most people who try it revert to plan vegetarianism after a while, since it's so much easier, cheaper, and convenient.

So you're saying veganism is unsustainable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Good Citizen posted:

So you're saying veganism is unsustainable?
:bravo: This makes the latest fishmech derail all worth it.

• Locked thread