Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Amount of taxes etc. paid minus benefits received.

Well, if we are going to do unsourced claims, I'll just claim that foreigners are 16,4 percent worse in that regard than Germans. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have an idea where the claim is coming from, and if I'm correct, I'm not looking forward to what follows.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Badly Jester posted:

:goonsay:

That argument is about as retarded as saying 'Germans killed 6 million Jews, gently caress them forever.'

the nazis killed six million jews, seriously, gently caress them forever

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cingulate posted:

I have an idea where the claim is coming from, and if I'm correct, I'm not looking forward to what follows.

Let's talk about whether considering Renten a transfer is an acceptable interpretation and if it's methodically unethical to not even mention § 22 Nr. 1 lit. a) aa) EstG when talking about age structure and a Rente-to-tax ratio. :kheldragar:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's a recent Bertelsmann Stiftung study. The main number I heard about was 67% of foreigners versus 60% of Germans contributing more money to society than they receive. But basically every news source extracts a different message from it. So I retract that statement. But at least one thing seems to be certain across most reports: foreigners are not a net negative from a money perspective.

Also: Where the gently caress is this study? I have tried to find it... Maybe you have to pay for it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Also: Where the gently caress is this study? I have tried to find it... Maybe you have to pay for it.

http://www.tagesschau.de/zuwanderung-101~_origin-bafe8750-68b8-40a1-a155-9e8871170e4b.pdf

Study page 24 (page 30 in the PDF-Viewer).

I don't really have the time to review it in depth, but as I already it said, while it finds foreigners to generally not be a net drain on society, they fare worse than Germans. As for the methods used, I feel kinda weird about classifying schools and Renten as transfers. Both of which favour foreigners due to the age structure of their population, as them being younger means more people will have to pay taxes on Rente received, while more Germans would still receive Rente without having to pay taxes on it.

(As an aside, as a young person, it's probably preferable to pay taxes on Rente while being able to deduct money paid into the system as a Sonderausgabe to the old system of not having to pay taxes on Rente, while having to pay taxes on the money paid in.)

Randler fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 18, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Thanks.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Read it.

I'm not fully confident in some of their predictive models (although honestly, that poo poo is nearly impossible anyways), but if you add together everything, immigrants are a net negative.
(On the other hand, without immigrants, the German population would be massively shrinking already so not having any is so not an option at all.)

I think such values should be taken with several grams of salt, for example because immigrants currently filling up a lot of the low-SES segment doesn't mean we wouldn't have a nearly equal-sized low-SES segment if they weren't here. Maybe we'd have the same low-SES people, with lightly less tanned skin, and somewhat less guttural accents ...

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

the nazis killed six million jews, seriously, gently caress them forever
I don't know how familiar you are with the German situation, but a vast majority of Germans, easily over 50 million people, was to some degree a Nazi, including millions of proletarians.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
One weird trick to study analysis Big Academia doesn't want you to know: Always assume the opposite of what Bertelsmann and INSM sponsored studies claim to find.

(Hahaha, they even call the gesetzliche Krankenkassen transfers. :allears: TK ain't no transfer.)

Randler fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 18, 2014

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cingulate posted:

I don't know how familiar you are with the German situation, but a vast majority of Germans, easily over 50 million people, was to some degree a Nazi, including millions of proletarians.

Yeah, I wasn't making a serious point (I try to stay more original than "the nazis were bad"), more trying to hint at maybe the analogy I quoted was maybe not 100% waterproof and alternatives could be found that didn't help the point being made at all.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Going by context and statements regarding future reforms, I'm starting to suspect that the ZEW study is cherry picking and quietly disregards asylum seekers, recognized or not, for a lot of their claims.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Welp.

gently caress the news for picking numbers selectively. Across the whole political spectrum.

And I would really like to see a comparison to actually useful benchmarks. Like comparing groups of similar education and wealth.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Süddeutsche posted:

Jeder Bürger könnte der Untersuchung zufolge um mehr als 400 Euro jährlich fiskalisch entlastet werden, wenn künftig pro Jahr mindestens 200 000 Zuwanderer nach Deutschland kämen und 30 Prozent von ihnen hoch und weitere 50 Prozent mittel qualifiziert wären.

Wird Deutschland also ausgenutzt? Sind wir das Sehnsuchtsziel aller Flüchtlinge? Die Fakten sprechen dagegen.

Guys, if I understand this correctly we could get a basic income of 400 EUR for everyone in Germany if we can scrap together another 2.4 mio more immigrants by the end of December. Holy poo poo, we will never have to work a single day in our lives again!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Also some numbers about "Personen mit Migrationshintergrund" would be nice, too.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

Going by context and statements regarding future reforms, I'm starting to suspect that the ZEW study is cherry picking and quietly disregards asylum seekers, recognized or not, for a lot of their claims.

Randler posted:

One weird trick to study analysis Big Academia doesn't want you to know: Always assume the opposite of what Bertelsmann and INSM sponsored studies claim to find.

(Hahaha, they even call the gesetzliche Krankenkassen transfers. :allears: TK ain't no transfer.)
That's not the primary problem with the study, and that's not the optimal way of critically dealing with such studies, or studies in general.

waitwhatno posted:

Guys, if I understand this correctly we could get a basic income of 400 EUR for everyone in Germany if we can scrap together another 2.4 mio more immigrants by the end of December. Holy poo poo, we will never have to work a single day in our lives again!
A slave population of non-Germans supporting the Herrenrasse? That sounds awesome, and original!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Are you talking about immigrants in general being a net negative or only immigrants without German citizenship?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Me?

Also: a part of me actually wants to ban pork in schools and call Weihnachtsmärkte Wintermärkte and maybe some nice cherry on top, like a law that for every cross in a schoolroom you also have to have a half moon and a menora, just to piss off covert and not so covert racists.

That part is 100% of me.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Me?

Also: a part of me actually wants to ban pork in schools and call Weihnachtsmärkte Wintermärkte and maybe some nice cherry on top, like a law that for every cross in a schoolroom you also have to have a half moon and a menora, just to piss off covert and not so covert racists.

That part is 100% of me.

Yes.

Cingulate posted:

I'm not fully confident in some of their predictive models (although honestly, that poo poo is nearly impossible anyways), but if you add together everything, immigrants are a net negative.

Or do you mean immigrants being a net negative is the outcome of the study for foreigners aka people without a German passport.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Cingulate posted:

Me?

That part is 100% of me.

Actually these people have become incredible annoying and the original idea seems to be kinda lost.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The groups "Deutsche mit Migrationshintergrund" and "Ausländer" are roughly the same size after all, but the study is only about the second group.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

e X posted:

Actually these people have become incredible annoying and the original idea seems to be kinda lost.
"Incredibly annoying" is far from the worst thing religious people are though. Imagine islamists, scientologists or christian fundamentalists were only "incredibly annoying"; the world would be a lot better. Of course, "not as bad as ISIS" isn't much to write home about.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yes.

Or do you mean immigrants being a net negative is the outcome of the study for foreigners aka people without a German passport.
I was imprecise in my wording, but I'm basically referring to this:

quote:

Stellt man den Ausländern gemäß ihrem Bevölkerungsanteil einen Anteil an den allgemeinen Staats- ausgaben – Verteidigung, Straßenbau etc. – in Rechnung, gerät ihre fiskalische Bilanz ins Defizit.
Pro Kopf beträgt dieses implizite Finanzierungsdefizit 79.100 Euro je Ausländer.
on page 56.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The groups "Deutsche mit Migrationshintergrund" and "Ausländer" are roughly the same size after all, but the study is only about the second group.
I'm terrible with these distinctions. I know they're important, but I'm lazy.

Edit: oh, and I'm not reading these numbers to mean that Germany is worse off for having them. I don't think that is what they're saying, and I think the study can, and probably should, still be read as being pro immigration. It's just that IF you decide to do this silly game where you look at individuals as if they could be numerically separated from their context, you end up with numbers that the NPD can flaunt more than reasonable people.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 18, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

e X posted:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Cingulate posted:

"Incredibly annoying" is far from the worst thing religious people are though. Imagine islamists, scientologists or christian fundamentalists were only "incredibly annoying"; the world would be a lot better. Of course, "not as bad as ISIS" isn't much to write home about.

Yes, but they basically took a rhetoric argument against religious presence in education and turned into some funny gimmick believe a la Discordianism or the Church of the Subgenius. If you actually try to argue and their entire contribution is to hanging up a cullender, it does not actually help.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
At worst, it's a lame joke.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I see. I'm still very sceptical because the study doesn't have any useful benchmarks for comparioson and because it doesn't include "Deutsche mit Migrationshintergrund". Some people might become German citizens very quickly, while others keep their foreign citizenship forever. What effects does this have?

This reminds me of the crime statistics. The definition of foreigner in these statistics is persons without German citizenship who live in Germany AND persons without German citizenship who don't live in Germany. The news then cite one of the two different numbers and call it crime by 'Ausländer'.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This reminds me of the crime statistics. The definition of foreigner in these statistics is persons without German citizenship who live in Germany AND persons without German citizenship who don't live in Germany. The news then cite one of the two different numbers and call it crime by 'Ausländer'.
Crime statistics are a mess. Is anybody aware of a decent study estimating a proper odds ratio for factors such as immigrant background while including all the relevant covariates?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Should you need an Austrian to fix Germany again, I am available.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Riso posted:

Should you need an Austrian to fix Germany again, I am available.

Hmm, I don't know. What are your art school credentials?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

System Metternich posted:

The worse the better.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

System Metternich posted:

Remember, he needs at least one rejection to qualify.

Edit:

gently caress, beaten already.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Credentials, Schmentials.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
If lack of artistic ability was a real indicator of fascist tendencies in our leaders - welcome to the fourth reich, gentlemen.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You are a really lovely artist and I hate your paintings, but that's how the Holocaust started ... soo ... how much for the painting?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I am worse than Hitler because while he brought full employment I bring you... NEOLIBERALISM*.

*Ordo actually but that's not that great a punchline.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Riso posted:

I am worse than Hitler because while he brought full employment I bring you... NEOLIBERALISM*.

So the Final Solution will be found on the free Market?

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?

posh spaz posted:

God, no.

I said standing up for "good" Western values is the right thing to do, but it makes people hate us.

No, killing, torturing and bombing makes people hate "the west".

Standing up for "good" Western values would mean to rethink our doing and how they alinge with those values first before we judge others.

The War on Terror, like the war on drugs an empty loving propaganda phrase that justifies measures that most of the time strenghten what they fight.

Fighting Terror is policework and intelligence work at best.

GreenLight fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 18, 2014

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

e X posted:

So the Final Solution will be found on the free Market?

Final Solutions are bad for business. Instead can I interest you in a series of Temporary Solutions with build-in planned obsolescence?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
talking about the final solution:

that could get interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

elwood posted:

talking about the final solution:

that could get interesting