Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

vulturesrow posted:

I need to root my LG 8.3 LTE so i can install Link2SD. Can someone direct me to some helpful instructions? I used to root my phone back when it worthwhile but it's been a while. But at least I'm somewhat familiar with the process.

Anyone able to help? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone able to help? :)
Um, look on XDA? No one's going to do the search for you.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I thought we had a rooting thread?

Yeah, there it is, over there.

Outside the rooting thread, rooting isn't much of a thing anymore.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

LastInLine posted:

Um, look on XDA? No one's going to do the search for you.

I wasn't asking anyone to do the search for me, the question was just on the chance that anyone had the same tablet and had rooted it or was familiar enough with LG devices to know. Also I like to ask questions like that on SA because it helps sift through the various options you might run into. But thank you for your helpful suggestion.

Rastor posted:

I thought we had a rooting thread?

Yeah, there it is, over there.

Outside the rooting thread, rooting isn't much of a thing anymore.

Yeah I was aware of the rooting thread, but it seemed pretty phone centric so I thought I'd ask here. Only reason I'm rooting it is that I can use link2SD to increase my storage space. As it turns out I run through 16gb pretty quick like.

At any rate, after some searching and reading the answer is Stumproot if anyone even cares.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I got the Office HTC Magic Cover in the mail today...

It's a complete joke. Seriously. It's 100% useless. It slides around, barely stays attached, and the corners pop up. Why is it so hard for Android tablets to have nice accessories? I'm probably going to switch to an iPad I dislike the case so much.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

It's a complete joke. Seriously. It's 100% useless. It slides around, barely stays attached, and the corners pop up. Why is it so hard for Android tablets to have nice accessories? I'm probably going to switch to an iPad I dislike the case so much.

uuuuuuuuuuuugh. Mine is waiting for me at home. That sucks to hear though.
Why can't we have nice things :negative:

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

I canceled my Amazon order after seeing HTC sell them (briefly) for half off. If I can get it or the keyboard cover for half price I think I'd be ok with it.

full point
Jan 21, 2006

I got the Moko Slim-fit case for the N9 for $10 with shipping (looks like the price has since increased, though).

Its got the magnet to toggle screen on & off, cutout on the back for camera/flash, access to micro usb and headphone jack - a good case for ten bucks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pairofdimes posted:

I canceled my Amazon order after seeing HTC sell them (briefly) for half off. If I can get it or the keyboard cover for half price I think I'd be ok with it.

I got it for $20 from HTC too. Its junk. I'm probably going to return it. I have a tempered glass screen protector on my 9 that is fantastic so I'll probably just go caseless.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

full point posted:

I got the Moko Slim-fit case for the N9 for $10 with shipping (looks like the price has since increased, though).

Its got the magnet to toggle screen on & off, cutout on the back for camera/flash, access to micro usb and headphone jack - a good case for ten bucks.

I've used both that case and the Ultra-Slim case for the N7 and I think the latter looks and feels significantly better, though it doesn't have the strap for ease of holding. It looks like the N9 version of that case is in the process of being redesigned though.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

pairofdimes posted:

My keyboard cover arrives tomorrow, I'll update here with my experience with it.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Stupid Question: I recently got a Nexus 7 and it's on 4.4.3 right now. Should I bother to root before upgrading to Lollipop? Or does it not really matter either way?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hace posted:

Stupid Question: I recently got a Nexus 7 and it's on 4.4.3 right now. Should I bother to root before upgrading to Lollipop? Or does it not really matter either way?

Don't bother to root it at all.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Sounds good to me!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The only thing you might consider doing is unlocking it if you want to root in the future.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I side-loaded 5.0 to my Nexus 10 and now I keep getting notification that 5.0.1 is ready to install and yet every time I try to install it, it fails. Anyone have a similar experience and is the only way I can fix it is to sideload 5.0.1?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
2013 Nexus 7 Wifi on Lollipop is getting aggravating. After a day or so I cannot run Pocketcasts and Waze together for longer than 10 minutes without one or the other being killed in the background. Really hoping this memory hole gets fixed soon.

I keep seeing people mention screen redraws. What exactly is this? They also keep discussing it with a level of precision that is more than anecdotal. Is there a metric for this captured somewhere in settings?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Home screen redraw is when you hit the home button and get greeted to just your wallpaper for a second or so before all the icons and such come back.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

bull3964 posted:

Home screen redraw is when you hit the home button and get greeted to just your wallpaper for a second or so before all the icons and such come back.

Ah, I get that quite a bit then. Thanks!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

bull3964 posted:

5.0.1 seems to have cleared this up on my Nexus 5. I've only had it a couple of days, but so far it's much smoother.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

beerinator posted:

5.0.1 seems to have cleared this up on my Nexus 5. I've only had it a couple of days, but so far it's much smoother.

Still occurs quite frequently on my Nexus 9, particularly after using Chrome.

The other day I had to restart it because it was lagging out so hard.

I'm becoming less happy with my N9 by the day. My N7 with 4.4.4 was so perfect. It was fluid, fast, and stable. The N9 has been super inconsistent.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Still occurs quite frequently on my Nexus 9, particularly after using Chrome.

The other day I had to restart it because it was lagging out so hard.

I'm becoming less happy with my N9 by the day. My N7 with 4.4.4 was so perfect. It was fluid, fast, and stable. The N9 has been super inconsistent.

Chalk it up to Google's poo poo software. The N9 has awesome specs, there's no reason it shouldn't out perform the Nexus 7 aside from Lollipop. I imagine it'll grow to be extremely solid.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Honestly, I have to say I disagree. This cover is basically exactly what I wanted.
It stays on my n9 in my messenger bag (protects the screen), is a good stand, and is super minimal. The corner thing, they may stick up for a bit after folding but I find they get back to normal soonish. Especially when the cover is oriented correctly on the screen. Obviously with more time used as a stand (~4 straight hours today while I work) the corners might get more creased up, but we'll have to see. The magnets are not super strong (can't hold the tablet up by the cover) but the cover definitely stays attached to the tablet. As someone who hates cases but wanted something to protect the tablet in my bag and occasionally use as a stand...I'm glad I got it. Basically...it really is just a foldable cover, not a case.

What I will say is that it is way overpriced at 40$, and probably even at 20$. If this was 10-15$ it'd be perfect for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Chalk it up to Google's poo poo software. The N9 has awesome specs, there's no reason it shouldn't out perform the Nexus 7 aside from Lollipop. I imagine it'll grow to be extremely solid.

Perhaps. I've been seeing a ton of people saying that 5.0.1 has completely cleared up their issues on the N5 and such, just no luck on the N9.

For me though, it comes down to this. This is the 3rd tablet I've owned with a Nvidia SoC and every single one of them has had performance issues. It may be Google's fault, but it still really sours me to Nvidia SoC's in the long run and I likely won't purchase one in the future. Sort of a 3 strikes and you're out thing.

Even if it is all Google, they clearly are having issues optimizing for the hardware in the device.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

bull3964 posted:

For me though, it comes down to this. This is the 3rd tablet I've owned with a Nvidia SoC and every single one of them has had performance issues. It may be Google's fault, but it still really sours me to Nvidia SoC's in the long run and I likely won't purchase one in the future. Sort of a 3 strikes and you're out thing.

Even if it is all Google, they clearly are having issues optimizing for the hardware in the device.

Oh, I get that. The Tegra 2 is still an effective tool to induce vomiting.

I've got the 4 in a handheld and it's pretty great, and the K1 has reviewed well. Anyone else having issues with it?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

the K1 has reviewed well. Anyone else having issues with it?

Keep in mind there are two completly different K1. One is dual core the other is quad core, the quad core (Shield Tablet) seems to be reviewed pretty well, but this is the only product I know of with the dual core.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

Perhaps. I've been seeing a ton of people saying that 5.0.1 has completely cleared up their issues on the N5 and such, just no luck on the N9.

220 hours into 5.0.1 on my N7 and the issues all appear to be completely fixed.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fondue posted:

My keyboard cover arrives tomorrow, I'll update here with my experience with it.

It arrived an hour ago and I've been messing with it.

It arrived in a box slightly smaller than itself ... it had to be crammed in at an angle to fit. The keyboard wasn't damaged by this, though.

It's heavy. I think it's as heavy as the tablet itself! I had no trouble sync'ing it with the tablet, I just pressed the little button on one end of the hinge and the blue light started flashing. I then turned on bluetooth on my tablet and selected it from the available list. That's it.

It's magnetic and turns the screen on and off when you open/close it. Works great as a keyboard, I'm typing this update while using it. Of course it's a little keyboard so it's a bit cramped but it's designed to fit a 9" tablet so it's expected.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ChiTownEddie posted:

Honestly, I have to say I disagree. This cover is basically exactly what I wanted.
It stays on my n9 in my messenger bag (protects the screen), is a good stand, and is super minimal. The corner thing, they may stick up for a bit after folding but I find they get back to normal soonish. Especially when the cover is oriented correctly on the screen. Obviously with more time used as a stand (~4 straight hours today while I work) the corners might get more creased up, but we'll have to see. The magnets are not super strong (can't hold the tablet up by the cover) but the cover definitely stays attached to the tablet. As someone who hates cases but wanted something to protect the tablet in my bag and occasionally use as a stand...I'm glad I got it. Basically...it really is just a foldable cover, not a case.

What I will say is that it is way overpriced at 40$, and probably even at 20$. If this was 10-15$ it'd be perfect for me.

If it just attached at the spine to hold it on itd be 100% better. The magnets also just aren't very strong. I've used it for a bit now and its sort of growing on me. I can't return it though so I'll just have to deal. Did you get the coral one from HTC? I actually really like the color surprisingly.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Did you get the coral one from HTC? I actually really like the color surprisingly.

Yeah....and I have to agree. When I ordered I was like "Whatever, its a cover." Now I kind of like the light silly accent to the all black n9.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah....and I have to agree. When I ordered I was like "Whatever, its a cover." Now I kind of like the light silly accent to the all black n9.

I have a black N9, but screen bleed and volume keys are so bad, I ordered a replacement one, in white. I waited until now since I wanted to make sure I got a later release. I think it'll look nice with the white. I used it for a bit today and it doesn't seem so bad, maybe it'll be an unlikely love story in which the sperglord and a tablet case meet, and at first don't get along but after being thrown together on an adventure they come to fall in love.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Image for 5.0.2 for the N7 Wifi was just posted.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/12/19/android-5-0-2-lrx22g-factory-image-for-nexus-7-wifi-randomly-shows-up/

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Stick100 posted:

Keep in mind there are two completly different K1. One is dual core the other is quad core, the quad core (Shield Tablet) seems to be reviewed pretty well, but this is the only product I know of with the dual core.

It's more than that, the quad core is a standard ARM processor, the dual core is a 64 bit chip based on a completely different proprietary architecture that software translates ARM in real time in it's own weird way. The two K1 chips basically aren't even related, it's idiotic that they are under the exact same branding.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Three Olives posted:

It's more than that, the quad core is a standard ARM processor, the dual core is a 64 bit chip based on a completely different proprietary architecture that software translates ARM in real time in it's own weird way. The two K1 chips basically aren't even related, it's idiotic that they are under the exact same branding.
They have the same graphics core. :colbert:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Thanks for the info. That sounds awful and now I have no idea why they didn't just go with a Snapdragon 800-805. The Shield tablet K1 was what I referred to earlier, for clarification.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I have no idea why they didn't just go with a Snapdragon 800-805.
Because Snapdragon is a complete SoC (including an Adreno GPU) which would defeat the purpose of NVIDIA trying to get Kepler into mobile. Their options were:
  1. License Cortex A15 and attach it to Kepler and roll it out as an "NVIDIA SoC"
  2. License the ARM architecture itself and create their own CPU to attach to Kepler and roll it out as an "NVIDIA SoC"
They chose to do both and give them the same name. :wooper:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

By 'they' I think HTC is implied.

HTC (or google via telling them to) should have went 805 for the Nexus 9. I believe they probably didn't do this because they already had a dev target with the 805 (the Nexus 6) and wanted to cover a broader base (and jump into 64 bit).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

[*]License the ARM architecture itself and create their own CPU to attach to Kepler and roll it out as an "NVIDIA SoC"

I'm sure that is what they did legally speaking but it's not like say Apple where they licensed the ARM architecture and significantly customized/improved it for their use case, they licensed the ARM architecture, built something completely different and then put a software layer in between to translate between the two different architectures.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Does anyone have a Samsung tab s 8.4? I'm wondering how much they've messed with the software. I'm trying to decide on what to buy to replace my 2012 n7 and I'm torn between the shield tablet, n9,and the 8.4. The n9 seems like it'll be a bit too big since most of what I use my tablet for is reading books and Web browsing. The shield is where I'm leaning right now since being aosp is a big plus to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I have a Tab S 8.4 LTE and I really like it.