Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It surprises me that they don't require anything at all when transferring a title. Still, if I were to buy a car from a dealership instead of from some shady shmuck on CL, I'd want it to at the very least to run right and not be in a state of actively tearing itself apart. That's like baseline "it is a car" status. IMO the buyer is completely within her rights to expect the CEL to be off, straight off the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Raluek posted:

So it's just going to run on 3 cylinders until it blows the cat into the muffler, disabling the car entirely. Nice.

I did think you still lived in ND, but never not live on a coast.

I don't know why the CEL was on, but yeah, that is a real possibility. Not every car buyer is in the right place financially to buy a reliable car that will last a long time. Some buyers just need a $1500 shitbox to get them around town. You can either buy one from us, or buy one from Craigslist. Sure, we're both sketchy, but the car dealership is a lot less likely to stab you and leave your body in a snow bank.

I moved away from Grand Forks in June and it was a great decision.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

goatse guy posted:

I don't know why the CEL was on, but yeah, that is a real possibility. Not every car buyer is in the right place financially to buy a reliable car that will last a long time. Some buyers just need a $1500 shitbox to get them around town. You can either buy one from us, or buy one from Craigslist. Sure, we're both sketchy, but the car dealership is a lot less likely to stab you and leave your body in a snow bank.

I moved away from Grand Forks in June and it was a great decision.

Yikes, $1500? I was figuring "cheap" meant "under a kilobuck," at least. Isn't the rule of thumb that a grand should get you to and from work reliably, and anything more or less than that will adjust the price accordingly? I admit I haven't paid any less (or more, as it happens) than $2k for a car, but surely there's some low mileage 80s grandma car for $800 on CL that would at least be in good working order?

I guess it doesn't matter anymore since that's what her warranty is for, so I'll curtail my shock here.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Raluek posted:

Yikes, $1500? I was figuring "cheap" meant "under a kilobuck," at least. Isn't the rule of thumb that a grand should get you to and from work reliably, and anything more or less than that will adjust the price accordingly?

not really

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Miata I got from toolshack had a CEL when I bought it and it still does. I just took the bulb out :v:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Raluek posted:

Yikes, $1500? I was figuring "cheap" meant "under a kilobuck," at least. Isn't the rule of thumb that a grand should get you to and from work reliably, and anything more or less than that will adjust the price accordingly? I admit I haven't paid any less (or more, as it happens) than $2k for a car, but surely there's some low mileage 80s grandma car for $800 on CL that would at least be in good working order?

I guess it doesn't matter anymore since that's what her warranty is for, so I'll curtail my shock here.

When I left Michigan in 2009, you could get $1500-1800 for any car that ran, with the body not separated from the frame. I sold a 1994 Firebird for 1700, and it had massive body rust, an oilpan with a hole rusted through it epoxied shut, and a constant-on check engine light.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Raluek posted:

Isn't the rule of thumb that a grand should get you to and from work reliably, and anything more or less than that will adjust the price accordingly?

Yeah, in 1999. Both the economy going to hell and Cash for Clunkers hosed the used car market.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

wallaka posted:

Yeah, in 1999. Both the economy going to hell and Cash for Clunkers hosed the used car market.

Yest to both of those, plus the huge increase in price due to technology/safety bloat.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Raluek posted:

Everyone has their stories about finding a running car on CL for $300 but those are anecdotes and not a real measure of markets, especially locally. For under a grand, you will be lucky to find a car that runs. The minimum for reliable transportation is well above nowdays -- it depends on your definition of reliability, but I'd look to spend at least $4k on finding a car that isn't a complete rusted death trap.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Sorry to hear things are going lovely goatse guy.

On the subject of car dealers, my girlfriend just bought a used car from one, and they had a pretty impressive warranty which she sprung for. I know dealer warranties are almost universally a scam, but this one seems pretty great.

For about $1900 on a 5 year old, 35k mile car which she paid 12k for, they cover pretty much everything except wear components with no limit and a $100 deductible. The best part is that if you don't use the policy you get all the money back (minus financing costs of about $70) when it expires. In her case, based on her low yearly mileage (about 8k/yr) it's valid for 4.5 years up to 75k miles.

As long as she doesn't use it unless she has a repair costing more than the policy I see no downside.

Anyone know many other dealerships that offer something similar?

I got a similar warranty about 10 years ago for my S4.

The diverter valves failed in a predictable manner, and are covered, but only if they cause a CEL. The diverter valves failing on biturbo S4's only causes a CEL if the car is an auto.

That was the last time I tried to claim against that warranty.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

goatse guy posted:

Everyone has their stories about finding a running car on CL for $300 but those are anecdotes and not a real measure of markets, especially locally. For under a grand, you will be lucky to find a car that runs. The minimum for reliable transportation is well above nowdays -- it depends on your definition of reliability, but I'd look to spend at least $4k on finding a car that isn't a complete rusted death trap.

Unless you're in FL or another southern state, I can get decent cars for 2k all day long. If I had a hook up in the north there's some decent money to be made bringing up cars there.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
What's funny is the car I paid $6,000 from and bought from a dealer has its CEL on. The car I paid $2500 from a guy off of Craigslist has its CEL on. The truck I paid $800 for off of Craigslist doesn't have the CEL on (and yes it does work).

I'm the guy that ruins the datapoints. :v:

Around here (northern Indiana) you can get a pretty decent vehicle for about $2k, it'll just have a lot of rust. We get bad enough lake effect that everybody wants a new, reliable SUV, so the market seems to have a lot of perfectly good older cars that just have rust.

When I was looking for my cheap truck, there were dozens under two grand, all of them reasonably reliable, but with holes through the bed.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 12, 2014

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

Yes. Not every car we sell is going to be perfect. We sell a lot of cars that other dealerships would send to auction, because they are the right price for some of our customers.

Okay, fair. I'm just curious, how do these warranties work for the older vehicles? Are they through your dealership or a third party company? I'm also curious about price. Is it like x% of the price of the vehicle?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

wallaka posted:

Also, cars are just lasting a lot longer than they use to. Cash for clunkers did take a lot of cars but not as many as you would think.

Plus the whole craze of "this poo poo is worth a fortune" syndrome. gently caress me, I know 15-2000 is a baseline, but it better work semi correctly and have heat. No excuse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Plus the whole craze of "this poo poo is worth a fortune" syndrome. gently caress me, I know 15-2000 is a baseline, but it better work semi correctly and have heat. No excuse.

Craigslist Syndrome.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Customer is looking for a Volkswagen under $2000. Welllllll, I happen to be a former VW enthusiast so I'm happy to help!

Me: We have a 2001 Jetta VR6 for $1300, would you be interested in scheduling a test drive?

Customer: Is there anything wrong with it?

Me: Parking brake does not work, Hood latch is missing (hood does open), Drivers side vanity light does not work, There is a chattering sound on deceleration while in gear, There is a chattering noise from the engine at idle, There is a clunk from the suspension over bumps, Rear brake pads and rotors need to be replaced, both inner tie rod ends have a little play in them, The engine is seeping oil and coolant, The exhaust system is loose and rusty. Alloy wheels need to be refinished.

Customer: ...I'll have to think about it. *hangs up*

Uhhhhh, I'm not really sure what you're expecting for $2k, but if you want a cheap VW you should also be handy.

In other news, I'm feeling better and ready to focus on work again after spending the last month feeling horribly depressed and barely able to get out of bed, much less able to get motivated to go to work and do a good job. It was just not a fun time. But now I'm back! And I'm gonna sell a ton of cars!!!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A VR6 for 1300 at a dealer seems like a great price. Seriously what do they expect?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you're expecting a cheap VW, you better be more than handy.

I recommend a heady cocktail of hallucinogenic drugs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

revmoo posted:

A VR6 for 1300 at a dealer seems like a great price. Seriously what do they expect?

At that price, I'd expect it to be literally on fire, or missing niceties like "wheels".

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

revmoo posted:

It's even got Long Beaches on it! Those were the stock wheel to have back in the day.

Fucknag posted:

I recommend a heady cocktail of hallucinogenic drugs.

Clearly they're already into those if they want a VW (yeah, I'm still bitter).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Cheap
Reliable
VW

Pick two?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

mariooncrack posted:

Cheap
Reliable
VW

Pick two?

Unless you pick VW.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mariooncrack posted:

Cheap
Reliable
VW

Pick two?
Reliable and VW don't normally belong in the same sentence unless it's from the generations that still have a carb on it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's still odd to read people ranting about vw reliability, they're much better in Europe, but still obviously very German.

I mean if I needed to buy a hatchback in a hurry I wouldn't balk at a golf of any generation, and if I needed a small tdi engine for a swap vw would be near the top of the list.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
At that price point, they really need to pay attention to the things that the car does have. Like wheels, a radio, seats with all their mounting points to the frame intact...

Really, that list of problems characteristics is what I'd expect out of anything for that price.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Seems like in the US we got 90% Jettas, Passats, Beetles, and 10% Golfs and other related fun cars.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

goatse guy posted:

Customer is looking for a Volkswagen under $2000.

You could probably get him a decent-ish 1970-1979 Beetle for that price! Advantages:

• Good on gas
  • Basically a Porsche engine
  • "Frunk" is really fun to say
  • Easy to bump start
  • No pesky coolant to worry about
  • Engine catching fire will keep you warm in Minnesota winters
  • Engine is expected to chatter, suspension is expected to clunk
  • Exhaust system is short, harder to get loose/fall off
  • No alloy wheels to need refinishing
  • Women like it (many women? poo poo, my wife hates Beetles)

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Cakefool posted:

It's still odd to read people ranting about vw reliability, they're much better in Europe, but still obviously very German.

I got my heart broken by a MKV GTI.

I've said this before, but under $2k not many cars will be reliable and VW ownership will be downright hellish. Part of the reason why cheap VWs are so lovely are because they hold their value really well. People perceive them as a premium brand and used vehicles are priced as such. When they get down to rock bottom prices, it's for a reason.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

I got my heart broken by a MKV GTI.

I've said this before, but under $2k not many cars will be reliable and VW ownership will be downright hellish. Part of the reason why cheap VWs are so lovely are because they hold their value really well. People perceive them as a premium brand and used vehicles are priced as such. When they get down to rock bottom prices, it's for a reason.

Hot beater building tip: most VW owners are shallow and materialistic, so as soon as you get a car with egregious visual flaws (Mk3 GTI rusted hatch) they become basically valueless, even with solid internals.

The same thing probably affects other cars in the same category of ownership, but I can't think of many other than Gundam Celicas or Lexus ES/IS/LS.

edit: It does still take a dab touch to figure out which of the sub-$1000 Golfs are truly dire as opposed to just ugly.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 20, 2014

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Hyundai USA has declared that all leads that come in on Christmas Eve must be answered, even if the dealership is closed. I volunteered to do it because my coworkers have friends and family and actual plans for Christmas Eve.

We got a new corporate manager to oversee all of our business development centers. I thought for sure she was going to be a hardass and come in here and gently caress up our process, but she came in to meet with our department yesterday to figure out what we're doing right and how to fix the other stores. We're now the highest-performing BDC in the company. Feels good to be on top. :smuggo:

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Edit wrong thread.

Sorry you have to work on the holidays GG, that sucks. Maybe you get to close one more deal though

Maksimus54 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 24, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

goatse guy posted:

Hyundai USA has declared that all leads that come in on Christmas Eve must be answered, even if the dealership is closed. I volunteered to do it because my coworkers have friends and family and actual plans for Christmas Eve.
That's an absurd demand from corporate. I mean, it's only in the best interest of the franchise to follow up promptly, but to be told you have to do it outside of business hours is a little heavy handed.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 206 days!)

slidebite posted:

That's an absurd demand from corporate. I mean, it's only in the best interest of the franchise to follow up promptly, but to be told you have to do it outside of business hours is a little heavy handed.

Every time I read a Goatse Guy post about work, I can't help but read it in the voice of Gil Gunderson (The Simpsons). It just seems to fit doubly-so here.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Viggen posted:

Every time I read a Goatse Guy post about work, I can't help but read it in the voice of Gil Gunderson (The Simpsons). It just seems to fit doubly-so here.

I sound like a sarcastic Midwestern Valley Girl most of the time.

slidebite, it really is kind of an insane demand but we're in the minority being closed today. Most of the other dealerships in the local area are open today.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

goatse guy posted:

slidebite, it really is kind of an insane demand but we're in the minority being closed today. Most of the other dealerships in the local area are open today.

Our stores are all open today here

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Who buys a car on Christmas eve?

Unless they're really desperate for a last minute present

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 206 days!)

goatse guy posted:

I meant more of the dealership asking you to do specific things, and now corporate. It seems very much "last straw grasping" for ideas and aspirations. Like, oh-my-gawd, 'n stuff. Fur sure.

Cakefool posted:

I may be gifting away one of my girls. I still haven't talked myself into doing so, though. It'd be a wonderful thing to do, but I am still a greedy little bastard.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cakefool posted:

You mean you wouldn't want a $1500 VR6 for Christmas?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

You mean you wouldn't want a $1500 VR6 for Christmas?

Hell yes I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Maksimus54 posted:

Add me to the group, same name as here. Expect to see broken circuit breakers, dog, and my beater miata

I think you're looking for the AI Snapchat thread ;)

• Locked thread