Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is the lag present in raids, too? I noticed lag on Rishi and Yavin (Yavin particularly) but I feel like when I was doing the solo FP instances, the lag mysteriously went away. I was hoping that instances would be sheltered from whatever's going on with the game, but to be fair I really don't know how the internet works at all.

The only lag I'm really seeing is a bit on Yavin, and Assault on Tython. Everything else seems fine to me. We started Ravagers last week and I didn't have any issues EXCEPT in the room where like 25 pirates come at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

The only lag I'm really seeing is a bit on Yavin, and Assault on Tython. Everything else seems fine to me. We started Ravagers last week and I didn't have any issues EXCEPT in the room where like 25 pirates come at you.

I love this room on my gunslinger. 13k dps wooooo!

Although, working snowballs into my dps rotation has been slightly detrimental to my dps output.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Intermittent lag on The Harbinger. Usually nothing during non-peak hours but sometimes pretty bad during prime time. Doesn't seem to affect flashpoints or warzones though.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Rannison posted:

Welp. Guess I need to unlock HK finally.

It'll give me something to due whilst queues are agonizingly long.

Are these parts/schematics things you can buy off the GTN, or do you have to level cybertech and make them yourself?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Propagandist posted:

Are these parts/schematics things you can buy off the GTN, or do you have to level cybertech and make them yourself?

Usually crafted stuff is sellable (the exceptions being stuff like reuasables and mounts IIRC), so you should be able to buy those parts once people have the recipes, have outfitted themselves, and start making them to sell, I think.

In other news I've replaced my auto-attack button with the snowball launcher; I just set Treek on dudes while I pelt them with snowballs. :3:

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Chomp8645 posted:

Intermittent lag on The Harbinger. Usually nothing during non-peak hours but sometimes pretty bad during prime time. Doesn't seem to affect flashpoints or warzones though.

About the same on Shadowlands. Did Ravagers last night and I didn't have very much lag on the Bulo & drunk pirates fight, but other guildies were complaining. Still some lag on Rishi and Yavin 4.

I've been throwing snowballs at everything I can. Outside the GSI storefront on Nar Shaddaa there's holograms that change every few seconds - you can throw a snowball at it each time it changes. Lots of corpses are getting snowballs (thanks for the 2 parcels Revan!) And if you throw a snowball at the Life Day/Wookiee Revelers on Coruscant/DK/Nar Shaddaa, sometimes they'll throw one back. :3:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Been getting quite a lot of lag on JC since last week, too, even when there's few people around. Ping's usually fine, the game just stops responding for up to about two seconds with some frequency.

WarLocke posted:

In other news I've replaced my auto-attack button with the snowball launcher; I just set Treek on dudes while I pelt them with snowballs. :3:
I enjoy throwing snowballs at dead mobs. Sometimes they give me a parcel.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I just resubbed and rolled a Sith Warrior, and I'm appreciating the Star Warsiness of it all lot. Amazing how much more fun this game is when it's not running at like 10-15 FPS and crashing every few minutes! :v:

I also want to see at least one of the Republic stories, though. Which ones are any good? I apparently played a bunch of the Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular stories when the game launched, but I can't remember anything about either of them so I'm probably just going to start from scratch. (Wearing a cool Jedi Consular hat does sound appealing)

I also kind of remember being bored by the trooper storyline, in spite of the fact that she had Commander Shepard's voice, but I never got off the starting planet so maybe it picked up.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: Highly recommend the Smuggler story. It's pretty awesome. Trooper was okay but didn't really snag me. I like the Consular one but it's a very slow, methodical 'mysteries of the Force' type story. And the Knight story is basically you being a galactic Mary Sue and single-handedly destroying half a dozen superweapons or some dumb crap.

Sombrerotron posted:

Been getting quite a lot of lag on JC since last week, too, even when there's few people around. Ping's usually fine, the game just stops responding for up to about two seconds with some frequency.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be any thing in particular. It started with the 3.0 roll-out and it seems like it's just something glitching in the server code or the patch hasn't been optimized or something like that?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 18, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rincewind posted:

I just resubbed and rolled a Sith Warrior, and I'm appreciating the Star Warsiness of it all lot. Amazing how much more fun this game is when it's not running at like 10-15 FPS and crashing every few minutes! :v:

I also want to see at least one of the Republic stories, though. Which ones are any good? I apparently played a bunch of the Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular stories when the game launched, but I can't remember anything about either of them so I'm probably just going to start from scratch. (Wearing a cool Jedi Consular hat does sound appealing)

I also kind of remember being bored by the trooper storyline, in spite of the fact that she had Commander Shepard's voice, but I never got off the starting planet so maybe it picked up.

Smuggler is quite good. There's a genuinely surprising twist and you have more flexibility in the resolution of the story than others.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Smuggler is quite good. There's a genuinely surprising twist and you have more flexibility in the resolution of the story than others.

It (and Bounty Hunter) is also fun being a freelancer in a world full of annoying Sith and Jedi/Republic personalities, but I dunno if it would be as satisfying if you haven't experienced it as one of the other classes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Also you get the best lines. And you get to tell people off when they try to blow smoke up your rear end. It's great.

e: I'll post this video again. It shouldn't be too much of a spoiler without context (It's just a bunch of the best convo lines)

"Let's just say it involved a beautiful salve girl, a backward child, and a weequay with a trapdoor fetish..." :newlol:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 18, 2014

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

WarLocke posted:

I like the Consular one but it's a very slow, methodical 'mysteries of the Force' type story.

I actually really like the Consular story. A lot of people dump on it because they think it's boring or whatever, but I really liked that it made your character out to be an actual Jedi, as opposed to the "thug with a lightsaber/galactic Mary Sue" feeling of the Jedi Knight story.

I like the companions, too. They're a lot like the Smuggler and BH companions in that they're an unusual/unlikely group and they don't quite fit with each other. It reminds me of the party members in the KOTOR games, unlike classes like the Trooper (where your entire party is just WOO HAVOC SQUAD).

Kinger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 18, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Kinger posted:

I actually really like the Consular story. A lot of people dump on it because they think it's boring or whatever, but I really liked that it made your character out to be an actual Jedi, as opposed to the "thug with a lightsaber/galactic Mary Sue" feeling of the Jedi Knight story.

Both Consular and Smuggler are sounding really cool! I can't decide! Three characters at once is too many!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rincewind posted:

Both Consular and Smuggler are sounding really cool! I can't decide! Three characters at once is too many!

It's also worth considering what sort of playstyle you're interested in (because you'll be playing them for a long time and it would be best if you enjoy it!)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kinger posted:

I'm only on Tatooine in the Consular story but I like it so far. This is spot on. It probably gets flak just because it's not an juvenile power fantasy like most Bioware plots.

Oh no I have to actually converse with people and approach conflicts like a rational human being instead of owning everyone with sick nasty one liners before gutting them, what a loving tragedy.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm only on Tatooine in the Consular story but I like it so far. This is spot on. It probably gets flak just because it's not an absurd power fantasy like most Bioware plots.

Oh no I have to actually converse with people and approach conflicts like a rational human being instead of owning everyone with sick nasty one liners before gutting them, what a loving tragedy.

Exactly. And the male Consular is voiced by Nolan North, who does a great job of getting across the feeling of a reserved, nonviolent Jedi (if you play LS, I don't know how well he does the DS lines). Although some of the dialogue is a bit incongruous - "violence is never the answer!" says your character, after murdering 50 dudes to reach the NPC you're talking to.

The storyline is a nice change of pace, especially when compared to its Empire counterpart (which also has the whole "mysteries of the Force" thing, but with more lightning and comedic evilness).

Kinger fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 18, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kinger posted:

I like the companions, too. They're a lot like the Smuggler and BH companions in that they're an unusual/unlikely group and they don't quite fit with each other. It reminds me of the party members in the KOTOR games, unlike classes like the Trooper (where your entire party is just WOO HAVOC SQUAD).

Yeah I agree with all of this. I love the Consular story and Qyzen Fess is one of the best companions period IMO (partly because he's one of the few who is more than 'guy in prosthetics' in that his thought processes are actually pretty alien) but Consulars (both in story and in gameplay) aren't the big flashy lightsaber-twirly guys so I think a lot of people get turned off of them.

e: One cool thing that the Consular gets to do is (Consular Act2/3 spoilers) during Act 2 you end up becoming the de facto ambassador to a bunch of minor powers and basically fixing all their poo poo, which gets called back on in Act 3 when you raise this huge personal army from all these planets to take back Corellia from the Empire - and it's not just cutscene stuff, you actually direct the different portions of your army in the Corellia class questline. :black101:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 18, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kinger posted:

Exactly. And the male Consular is voiced by Nolan North, who does a great job of getting across the feeling of a reserved, nonviolent Jedi (if you play LS, I don't know how well he does the DS lines). Although some of the dialogue is a bit incongruous - "violence is never the answer!" says your character, after murdering 50 dudes to reach the NPC you're talking to.

I actually really didn't like him in that role at all. Maybe it's just because I'm used to him playing smarmy rogues (so much so that for the longest time I actually did think he was the smuggler) and I couldn't swallow him as an emotionless warrior monk, but I dunno, he didn't really sell the character to me.

I feel like star wars is more interesting when the jedi are not main characters, because they take a vow to be boring and static. They're much better as things for other characters to interact with.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I actually really didn't like him in that role at all. Maybe it's just because I'm used to him playing smarmy rogues (so much so that for the longest time I actually did think he was the smuggler) and I couldn't swallow him as an emotionless warrior monk, but I dunno, he didn't really sell the character to me.

Male Consular felt like Nolan North was phoning it in. The female Consular VA does a better job IMO.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Male Consular felt like Nolan North was phoning it in. The female Consular VA does a better job IMO.

He was still better than David Hayter as the knight at least. I like him, but that was not a fun character to listen to.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I actually start my consular as male, but wasn't hot on Nolan's voice work so I restarted as female consular before I'd finished Tython. I think I made the right decision

I can't exactly put my finger on why I didn't like Nolan, he was just off somehow. Like he seemed too stiff and proper, even for a consular. I thought jedi were just supposed to be calm and reserved people, not emotionless robots. But Nolan was reading the lines like a Vulcan or something, it was too much I thought. I don't know who the female VA is but I think she does a good of job of mixing the reserved nature of a jedi with the emotions inherent in a human being.

E: On the subject of voice actors, whoever did the male Imperial Agent deserves a loving medal or at least more work.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 18, 2014

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

I can't exactly put my finger on why I didn't like Nolan, he was just off somehow. Like he seemed too stiff and proper, even for a consular. I thought jedi were just supposed to be calm and reserved people, not emotionless robots. But Nolan was reading the lines like a Vulcan or something, it was too much I thought. I don't know who the female VA is but I think she does a good of job of mixing the reserved nature of a jedi with the emotions inherent in a human being.

Fair enough. I really liked the more...dispassionate? readings that North gave, but maybe that's because it was such a change from so many of the other VAs.

Then again, I'm also a big fan of the male Imperial Agent voice, and I see a lot of people talking about how much they dislike it so maybe I'm just weird.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kinger posted:

Fair enough. I really liked the more...dispassionate? readings that North gave, but maybe that's because it was such a change from so many of the other VAs.

Then again, I'm also a big fan of the male Imperial Agent voice, and I see a lot of people talking about how much they dislike it so maybe I'm just weird.

Who says that? I'll beat them up!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kinger posted:

I know that a lot of people basically play the Agent as a malcontent or republic sympathizer, maybe his reads aren't as good if you go that angle. But if you're playing the Agent as a ruthless and loyal servant of the empire the VA is perfect.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Who says that? I'll beat them up!

A lot of the time it has to do with the times that the Agent goes undercover and his voice changes (like on Hutta, Balmorra, Belsavis, etc.) Apparently a relatively common opinion is that the VA does a poor job of "masking" the Imperial accent.

As far as I'm concerned they're full of poo poo, but who knows?

Kinger fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 18, 2014

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So they are going to start rolling through old packs for daily sales. If you like playing the long game, grabbing rares from the packs or gtn and selling them later will probably make decent cash.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kinger posted:

A lot of the time it has to do with the times that the Agent goes undercover and his voice changes (like on Hutta, Balmorra, Belsavis, etc.) Apparently a relatively common opinion is that the VA does a poor job of "masking" the Imperial accent.

That's crazy talk, that was probably my favorite part of the IA voice actor.

He has a very good snobbish Imperial Officer voice, I thought it was pretty perfect. The fact that it changes when you go undercover was a nice extra touch.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Kinger posted:

IA's American accent sounds just like Ewan McGregor's, so I thought it was awesome.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Detour question: what is the value of doing the Kuat Drive Yards? I've basically been treating it as a machine that dispenses 20 commendations to spend on leveling gear. Is there anything else of value to get out of it?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Chomp8645 posted:

Detour question: what is the value of doing the Kuat Drive Yards? I've basically been treating it as a machine that dispenses 20 commendations to spend on leveling gear. Is there anything else of value to get out of it?

that and experience is basically it. and I guess some of the things you can buy with those purple things that drop are coolish.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

It rewards a lot of experience (at least it used to, don't know if they changed it) and it generally doesn't take a very long time for the queue to pop if you're a DPS because it's role-neutral. That's about it, but if you're trying to squeeze a lot of XP out of a double XP weekend, it's still pretty valuable.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

I started a scoundrel, bought the legacy perk "Improved Flashpoint Experience V", took a stack of Major Flashpoint XP boosts that nobody wanted out of my guild's vault, and went from 10-55 in KDY. It wasn't quite 12X XP but it went by pretty drat fast.

It also got me 100% completion in the KDY achievements, including a legacy title and a piece of artwork to hang in my stronghold, a stack of KDY Construction Kits that I've never bothered to spend, and the ability to solve the starship assembly puzzle by just glancing at the datapads.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

shadok posted:

the ability to solve the starship assembly puzzle by just glancing at the datapads.

I would have killed myself, risen from the grave, then killed myself again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

I would have killed myself, risen from the grave, then killed myself again.

It's not for everybody, yeah.

It's a good "turn off your brain and catch up on some podcasts" way to level, though! It's also a great way to find terrible pubbies to put on your ignore list, because if you can gently caress up KDY, you can't be trusted with a real flashpoint.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The KDY kits are basically useful for a mount (5? kits), there's a bomber paint job for GSF (1 kit), a pet (1 kit), and there's a starship decoration item (I think it's the Trooper ship) for 20 kits each.

Along with a set of armor probably nobody uses.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Can't decide whether to level Rheranni (Sorc) to 60, given that my old POS system borks out during raids (and still can't afford to upgrade it), or if I should work on my IA and BH characters... or even my Republic ones.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

OzCavalier posted:

given that my old POS system borks out during raids

Have you tried running SWTOR in XP Compatability mode? It can make the difference between seconds-per-frame and almost smooth on low-end systems. That might not be enough if you were having trouble on the old raids, but it was enough for me to handle the greater performance demands of the new ones.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So the level 186 itemization apparently sucks and we need to use crafted armoring/mod/enhancements for accuracy. But how do I RE with cybertech to get accuracy on a mod or armoring? I've crafted through blue and purple but it no longer gives me any % for discovery. Is accuracy only on enhancements? Or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

So the level 186 itemization apparently sucks and we need to use crafted armoring/mod/enhancements for accuracy. But how do I RE with cybertech to get accuracy on a mod or armoring? I've crafted through blue and purple but it no longer gives me any % for discovery. Is accuracy only on enhancements? Or am I missing something?

Mods don't carry accuracy. Only enhancements, augments, earpieces, implants.

• Locked thread