Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Bilal posted:

Still playing the nightly. I just tried to complete the lunar base, just like Ironicdongz. Unlike him, I had an edge- I have a crossbow that does 192 damage (I don't remember exactly where I got it, think I bought it in an Avian town on one of the planets in the starting solar system.) The regular pink enemies have about 200 HP, and the crossbow does about 112 damage to them (due to armor.) This meant that I could kill the pink guys in two hits. Unfortunately the crossbow was 70 energy per shot so I could fire it three times before I ran out. But the pink guys tend to break aggro if you run away from them far enough, so I could plink them from a distance. I easily cleared out all of the pink guys, only taking a scratch here and there. I did test the weapons you're "supposed" to have at that point- I'm playing a Novakid so I had the steel tier revolver. It did 7 damage per shot. So like 27 or 28 shots to kill a single pink guy, assuming you don't miss, and of course you have to wait for your energy to replenish because you don't get 28 consecutive shots on one bar of energy.

Anyway, while it took a while I methodically cleared out the pink guys throughout the base, dropped down to the boss fight. He started rushing towards me with a hammer, I tried backpedalling but ran out of corridor, so I panic fired and hit him twice, and took off about 1 bar of his health. Then he killed me in one hit. Needless to say I am not going to bother with that mission again.

Best part of that mission is that if you die you have to do it over from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

stuntwaffle posted:

supermom led the charge to have poo removed from ss13 and would get passive aggressively holier-than-thou buttmad when people criticized his new sprites for that (free) game as well, so none of this is surprising really

it's actually hilarious

I think getting angry all the time is a requirement if you want to make a game using BYOND.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

He isn't actually the PR guy, other than in the de facto sense that if you post repeatedly in the thread in your capacity as someone who works on the game, what you're doing is PR.

But PR guy isn't his job description to my knowledge.

I understand he's not and I would understand if he just quietly left because he couldn't deal with the vitriol. He did not do this so yes he gets the blame for being an rear end in a top hat.

lordfrikk posted:

I agree the last post should've been worded better, but: 1. he is not a PR guy 2. you have no stake in the company so your PR skills are completely irrelevant.

The basics of not being an rear end in a top hat should be something that everyone understands especially if you are voluntarily being a de facto community liaison. The correct response was either "there might be some bugs I'll get back to you guys" or don't bother posting. The wrong answer was "Hey I'll be a snarky rear end in a top hat" It doesn't matter if PR guy is in his job description he still represents the company and being an rear end in a top hat is a bad way to do it.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 18, 2014

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We're ALL assholes here, I thought that was understood.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I'm not an rear end in a top hat, I am mildly unpleasant to deal with at most.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I'm more of a Dick than an rear end in a top hat.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Just please let this thread die.

Like starbound

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

Like starbound

That is not dead which can eternal lie.

Chucklefish are liars

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

mutata posted:

We're ALL assholes here, I thought that was understood.
Hey now that's rude

ColHannibal posted:

Like starbound
Thread stays until we get the update :colbert:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

It will blossom like roses from the compost heap that is this thread

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bilal posted:

Anyway, while it took a while I methodically cleared out the pink guys throughout the base, dropped down to the boss fight. He started rushing towards me with a hammer, I tried backpedalling but ran out of corridor, so I panic fired and hit him twice, and took off about 1 bar of his health. Then he killed me in one hit. Needless to say I am not going to bother with that mission again.
lmao it's exactly the same as my first experience, even with the way better equipment

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

We have seen already that this thread is a fickle mistress. It was actually super positive for like 2 pages after that trailer was posted and only once again turned to pitchforks and torches after someone posted their thoughts on how the first dungeon feels.

If the new update is good, we will go back to sucking chuckle dick, and if it is bad, the thread will remain in its current form.

Or get gassed.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm probably still going to make a new thread once the stable hits, complete with a mod section.

Which will be quick and easy because no one mods for this game anymore

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm probably still going to make a new thread once the stable hits, complete with a mod section.

Which will be quick and easy because no one mods for this game anymore

so never?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

lmao it's exactly the same as my first experience, even with the way better equipment

Should anyone say that the thread is being unfair in taking the piss on the game, we've got proof in that there are several of us in the thread who have made good faith efforts to actually play the game as intended, and found that it's at best slow and tedious and at worst a broken mess.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Tin Tim posted:

Don't threads get automatically archived after 10 years?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

G...guys... what if...

What if WE are the monsters? :ohdear:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I thought that they were real posts,
But to my surprise,
I clicked upon their rap sheets,
I heard their ghoulish cries !!

They cried,
"Starbound is bad,
Starbound is bad,
Starbound is bad, hehe"

Shroud
May 11, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

This thread is an unsalvageable cesspit and if you think anyone should deal with that you're the rear end in a top hat here. It's easy to expect other people to behave better because they're supposed to but Supernorn is not a PR guy and being in game development doesn't automatically make you more resistant to vitriol. Leaving silenty would be the better course to take here but I guess he wanted to say he won't be posting anymore.

Supernorn was the PR person this thread deserved, not the one it needed.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Sedisp posted:

The basics of not being an rear end in a top hat should be something that everyone understands

:ironicat:

Sedisp posted:

The correct response was either "there might be some bugs I'll get back to you guys" or don't bother posting. The wrong answer was "Hey I'll be a snarky rear end in a top hat" It doesn't matter if PR guy is in his job description he still represents the company and being an rear end in a top hat is a bad way to do it.

Thanks for the lesson on Correct Posting, this seems like the right thread for it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Since Supernorn jumped the chuckleshark can I be the PR guy now?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well then how do your employers plan to fix this game, motherfucker?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Hello, I am the new PR Guy. I would like to inform you all that there has been quite a bit of changes to the final game

Firstly. Release is scheduled to be Q4 2016
Secondly. We've gotten many complaints from our fans about a "problematic" aspect of the game, therefor the "male" gender has been removed from the game, aswell as any mentions of.
Thirdly. due to overwhelming requests, many of the races themselves have been changed to reflect current interests in our target demographic. No longer do we have humans, as they have been converted to the Pony/Brony race, the Apex are now "Time Lords", and Avians have been replaced with "Trolls", Changes for the other races is being heavily considered.
Lastly. I'm Gay

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
al,

al-alpacas

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'll be the star bound pr person

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rrussom posted:

Hello, I am the new PR Guy. I would like to inform you all that there has been quite a bit of changes to the final game

Firstly. Release is scheduled to be Q4 2016
Secondly. We've gotten many complaints from our fans about a "problematic" aspect of the game, therefor the "male" gender has been removed from the game, aswell as any mentions of.
Thirdly. due to overwhelming requests, many of the races themselves have been changed to reflect current interests in our target demographic. No longer do we have humans, as they have been converted to the Pony/Brony race, the Apex are now "Time Lords", and Avians have been replaced with "Trolls", Changes for the other races is being heavily considered.
Lastly. I'm Gay

Don't joke fucker, on monday they literally added a "Furry tail" cosmetic item to the game.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Don't joke fucker, on monday they literally added a "Furry tail" cosmetic item to the game.

hahahaha, AHAHAHAHAHA

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eye of Widesauron posted:

I'll be the star bound pr person

as a former starbound moderator I declare widestancer the SA PR person

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

XboxPants posted:

Oh :drat:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I remember this thread laughing along while the devs trolled the player base so it's not like its something new

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
remember bird tits and cum guns? good times

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Eonwe posted:

as a former starbound moderator I declare widestancer the SA PR person

How did you survive

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Great that means I'm the most senior Chucklefuck in this thread.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

im the gayest

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sedisp posted:

The basics of not being an rear end in a top hat should be something that everyone understands especially if you are voluntarily being a de facto community liaison. The correct response was either "there might be some bugs I'll get back to you guys" or don't bother posting. The wrong answer was "Hey I'll be a snarky rear end in a top hat" It doesn't matter if PR guy is in his job description he still represents the company and being an rear end in a top hat is a bad way to do it.
It's pretty clear from this thread that the basics of not being an rear end in a top hat are not at all universally understood.

The problem is that the torrent of ironic making GBS threads on the game has irrevocably been mixed with the torrent of legitimate making GBS threads on the game. When people are being hyperbolic and silly, a snarky answer is totally legit. And yeah, there are two distinct streams of poo poo, as was clear when the trailer came out and half the thread started gushing about how this is what they always wanted and recanting their threadshitting ways... for all of a day maybe.

This thread took a really weird intense mood-swing from laughing at people being all entitled and impatient, to acting unspeakably furious with everything to do with this game. One could be forgiven for assuming that that incredible fury and rage was, if not entirely ironic, at least hyperbolic, and so joking in response to it.

Evidently that rage is real, and people in this topic are incredibly angry at how things are going. Either that or they don't care, and find it fun to act that angry (which I'm sure quite a few people are doing in any case) to the point of hounding out that PR guy basically for the fun of it.

I personally think there are some worrying things about the changes to the combat system and some other things, and if this thread weren't just a putrid bucket of churning vitriol, I'd probably be making an effortpost about that, rather than one about the state of the thread. I think that'd be a lot more interesting than a contest to see who can poo poo themselves the hardest in feigned or exaggerated rage. It seems I'm in the minority in that though.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Eiba posted:

It's pretty clear from this thread that the basics of not being an rear end in a top hat are not at all universally understood.

The problem is that the torrent of ironic making GBS threads on the game has irrevocably been mixed with the torrent of legitimate making GBS threads on the game. When people are being hyperbolic and silly, a snarky answer is totally legit. And yeah, there are two distinct streams of poo poo, as was clear when the trailer came out and half the thread started gushing about how this is what they always wanted and recanting their threadshitting ways... for all of a day maybe.

This thread took a really weird intense mood-swing from laughing at people being all entitled and impatient, to acting unspeakably furious with everything to do with this game. One could be forgiven for assuming that that incredible fury and rage was, if not entirely ironic, at least hyperbolic, and so joking in response to it.

Evidently that rage is real, and people in this topic are incredibly angry at how things are going. Either that or they don't care, and find it fun to act that angry (which I'm sure quite a few people are doing in any case) to the point of hounding out that PR guy basically for the fun of it.

I personally think there are some worrying things about the changes to the combat system and some other things, and if this thread weren't just a putrid bucket of churning vitriol, I'd probably be making an effortpost about that, rather than one about the state of the thread. I think that'd be a lot more interesting than a contest to see who can poo poo themselves the hardest in feigned or exaggerated rage. It seems I'm in the minority in that though.

How do you read a situation so incorrectly.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's a sad story

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
People were legitimately angry (except for norn, we all knew he was) in this thread?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I hope not. Anger leads to Hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I love Hate.

• Locked thread