Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Reiley posted:

If you're not going to take this thread seriously then alpaca my bags and leave.

boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

The worst part of this is knowing that I defended Chucklefish and Starbound real hard.

yup. i didnt defend it hard but i did really think they would pull through. its pretty clear now they dont know what the gently caress theyre doing though. this time next year theyll release a version they will call v1.0 that will have 1/5 of what they said "release" version will have.

remember when Terraria did more in the same amount of time with a team of three guys living in different parts of the world?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I can't wait for those cool pets and fossils

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

at least I wasn't one of those suckers that spent $150 on archeage though

My Wasteland 2 collector's edition arrived today. :buddy:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Vib Rib posted:

I can't wait for those cool pets and fossils

You're thinking of pokemon

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Supernorn posted:

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me posting here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a game that I enjoy working on. You can't really expect me to take this thread seriously when you guys are just showing utter contempt towards me, the game or any reasonable means towards a discussion. So I'm going to peace out and you guys can continue doing whatever it is you think this is. Merry Christmas!

I have pretty much stayed out of hating on you because I assume you guys got in over your head and poo poo like that and I was a real fan of the potential the game had. But you are a real rear end in a top hat. gently caress off.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Supernorn posted:

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me posting here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a game that I enjoy working on. You can't really expect me to take this thread seriously when you guys are just showing utter contempt towards me, the game or any reasonable means towards a discussion. So I'm going to peace out and you guys can continue doing whatever it is you think this is. Merry Christmas!

This is really disappointing. I was hoping that you might've been able address the complaints people are listing about the tanky pink goomen, but you just shrug your shoulders and decide not to? I've honestly lost a little respect for you, and I LIKED the alpaca. Please, please, please just take a deep breath, address our concerns like a PR guy should, and then maybe you'll have earned a shred of goodwill.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Reiley posted:

If you're not going to take this thread seriously then alpaca my bags and leave.

:golfclap:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sedisp posted:

I have pretty much stayed out of hating on you because I assume you guys got in over your head and poo poo like that and I was a real fan of the potential the game had. But you are a real rear end in a top hat. gently caress off.
Supernorn could have been the link between this thread and the developers that both sides needed. He could have seen legitimate issues like "hey, is this NPC armor thing actually a bug, or are they meant to be this loving impossible?" and "that first dungeon is really broken, is that going to be fixed or is this working as intended, because it's awful" and brought them to Tiy and the others, or allayed fears. He could have said "yeah, sorry guys, that's not what we intended, hopefully we'll fix it soon!" or he could have said any number of things.

But instead we got this.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Sedisp posted:

This thread is an unsalvageable cesspit and if you think anyone should deal with that you're the rear end in a top hat here. It's easy to expect other people to behave better because they're supposed to but Supernorn is not a PR guy and being in game development doesn't automatically make you more resistant to vitriol. Leaving silenty would be the better course to take here but I guess he wanted to say he won't be posting anymore.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
This place rotted due to negligence. Proper PR'ery would have kept the FYAD away and we would have had a clean games thread. Trolling breeds trolling.

It's super fun though, so win/win really

ninjaedit: wow I mean this thread (can't have anyone thinking I mean starbound there, whew! what a faux pas that might have been)

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Didn't they used to have an actual PR person posting here?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

This is prob. the one game I'm really glad I got early access, because I was able to enjoy it before the combat changes and the removal of sand-mining.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Ahundredbux posted:

Yeah, mollygos (community/pr manager) posted a few times before the thread turned into this raging shitstorm.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Evilreaver posted:

This place rotted due to negligence.

Somehow I don't think that's true. Unless you mean negligence in the abstract, as in "they neglected to update their game based on feedback from good criticism" instead of "neglecting to update this particular thread" because you guys are doing a stellar job of making GBS threads it up.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Ahundredbux posted:

yes but she couldnt handle the 'public relations' aspect of her PR job

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I mean, at least supernorn stuck around and gave it a shot

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

I mean, at least supernorn stuck around and gave it a shot

Well whenever there was any apparent opportunity to talk to an actual guy and find out some Actual poo poo, the shitposting dove down significantly while people began to make effortposts asking for information or talking reasonably about problems

When supernorn was clearly not intending to actually say anything and was being shitposty himself, well, there went the fuckin' neighborhood

If he didn't intend to actually talk about any of the questionable design poo poo in Starbound he shouldn't've initiated the conversation with words along the lines of 'I am here to talk about our, Chucklefish's, thoughts regarding Starbound'

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Yeah, I think that, like me, the other heavy shitposters in this thread really enjoyed the game when it came out, and had a lot of hopes for it. I played it way too much and bought a few copies for my friends, too. But since then, each month has just been increasingly frustrating as whatever "progress" gets made in development seems like a step back and makes me wonder what the gently caress happened to the game. I still want it to be good but it doesn't seem like that will ever happen, and yet

Musluk
May 23, 2011

reminder that goons chased people away who mentioned feature creep

reminder that goons 'discussed' colored dirt for 4 pages

reminder that once the nightlies started people called stuff out, but ended up being chased away by hyped-up goons

hyped up goons are the worst

also lmao if you think this is the worst shitpost goons have done, or the worst shitpost chucklefish encountered and boy do they get shitposting

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Patware posted:

Well whenever there was any apparent opportunity to talk to an actual guy and find out some Actual poo poo, the shitposting dove down significantly while people began to make effortposts asking for information or talking reasonably about problems

When supernorn was clearly not intending to actually say anything and was being shitposty himself, well, there went the fuckin' neighborhood

If he didn't intend to actually talk about any of the questionable design poo poo in Starbound he shouldn't've initiated the conversation with words along the lines of 'I am here to talk about our, Chucklefish's, thoughts regarding Starbound'

Norn was just an art guy though and didn't peace out when it stopped being a hugbox.

This is not a point in favor of supernorn, it was more directed at their over all PR handling.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Rotten Cookies posted:

The worst part of this is knowing that I defended Chucklefish and Starbound real hard.

No kidding, I just checked my post history here, and it's awful I think.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

No kidding, I just checked my post history here, and it's awful I think.

Oh this is quality

Victrix posted:

It also helps that the early beta is really drat cool, their plans are cool, and they proved very early they can iterate and update rapidly.

Not hard to remain excited about the future when they've already proven they can deliver.

That was May. Well. I wasn't wrong about the rapid iteration. Right? Right? :downs:

Victrix posted:

Speaking as a fairly disinterested spectator, the only difference between Starbound and Cubeworld from my perspective is that Starbound has seemingly higher odds of actually getting a major release at some point.

That was August. Ok so it's a low bar to jump.

Then it all goes downhill this month of course.

Not quite as shameful as I was hoping, I think I forgot about the game for a few months in there.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Remember the simpler days when people were angry about animated poo monsters?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Musluk posted:

reminder that goons chased people away who mentioned feature creep? reminder that goons 'discussed' colored dirt for 4 pages

reminder that once the nightlies started people called stuff out, but ended up being chased away by hyped-up goons
I am the stone in the river of hype and will not be washed away, early crit adopter unf *flexes*

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
I'm posting in this thread only to tell people how much this thread sucks and it makes
☐ the thread a better place
☑ I'm gay

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

I reported someone for trolling way back when I still had hope. Glad nothing came of it.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Doggboat posted:

I'm posting in this thread only to tell people how much this thread sucks and it makes
☐ the thread a better place
☑ I'm gay

Lmao

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Mormon Star Wars posted:

This is prob. the one game I'm really glad I got early access, because I was able to enjoy it before the combat changes and the removal of sand-mining.

Removal of sandmining was the giant flashing sign of "this will end badly" if the delay hadn't already convinced me.

Hey guys you found this fun, fast, harmless way to collect resources? gently caress you, our vision demands linear progression. Slowly plink away at ores like God intended until you drop them all from a farting monster killing you in two hits. Also like God intended.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's really crazy because it is so, so hard to make mining poo poo fun in games like this. So hard. Almost always it's a pretty big drag. And sand surfing was something that despite being emergent from the way the engine worked with gravity instead of intentional, it ended up being an actually fun thing to do when mining. It wasn't gamebreaking, it didn't let you gather tons of resources super quick or anything, it just let you have a little fun when you found pockets of sand with minerals in them. Breaking up the monotony like that is a big deal in this sorta mining-heavy kind of game! And it's not like like it wasn't logical for minerals to falls with sand when you make a sandslide, if they had said it was intentional I would have believed them.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Starbound is what happens when you let artists drive development instead of game designers.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

This thread is an unsalvageable cesspit and if you think anyone should deal with that you're the rear end in a top hat here. It's easy to expect other people to behave better because they're supposed to but Supernorn is not a PR guy and being in game development doesn't automatically make you more resistant to vitriol. Leaving silenty would be the better course to take here but I guess he wanted to say he won't be posting anymore.

So I manage to somehow not deal with the thread being an unsalavageable cesspit by not really posting in it or reading it. Should I add PR manager to my resume because I understand that if a bunch of people are incredibly angry with my coworkers it's best not to make snarky posts about how great the thing they're mad about is?

I totally understand him not wanting to post in this terrible thread but how he decided to go out makes him a total rear end in a top hat. At the end of the day people are mad because they no longer feel like the game has even a chance of being good. If he fails to understand that then don't set yourself up as a PR guy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sedisp posted:

So I manage to somehow not deal with the thread being an unsalavageable cesspit by not really posting in it or reading it. Should I add PR manager to my resume because I understand that if a bunch of people are incredibly angry with my coworkers it's best not to make snarky posts about how great the thing they're mad about is?

I totally understand him not wanting to post in this terrible thread but how he decided to go out makes him a total rear end in a top hat. At the end of the day people are mad because they no longer feel like the game has even a chance of being good. If he fails to understand that then don't set yourself up as a PR guy.

He isn't actually the PR guy, other than in the de facto sense that if you post repeatedly in the thread in your capacity as someone who works on the game, what you're doing is PR.

But PR guy isn't his job description to my knowledge.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Supernorn's exit from this thread causing the butthurt that it did made the money I spent on this game worth it. It's also been the only entertaining part of this several month long poo poo posting marathon. Kudos.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Vib Rib posted:

Supernorn could have been the link between this thread and the developers that both sides needed. He could have seen legitimate issues like "hey, is this NPC armor thing actually a bug, or are they meant to be this loving impossible?" and "that first dungeon is really broken, is that going to be fixed or is this working as intended, because it's awful" and brought them to Tiy and the others, or allayed fears. He could have said "yeah, sorry guys, that's not what we intended, hopefully we'll fix it soon!" or he could have said any number of things.

But instead we got this.

supermom led the charge to have poo removed from ss13 and would get passive aggressively holier-than-thou buttmad when people criticized his new sprites for that (free) game as well, so none of this is surprising really

it's actually hilarious

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Still playing the nightly. I just tried to complete the lunar base, just like Ironicdongz. Unlike him, I had an edge- I have a crossbow that does 192 damage (I don't remember exactly where I got it, think I bought it in an Avian town on one of the planets in the starting solar system.) The regular pink enemies have about 200 HP, and the crossbow does about 112 damage to them (due to armor.) This meant that I could kill the pink guys in two hits. Unfortunately the crossbow was 70 energy per shot so I could fire it three times before I ran out. But the pink guys tend to break aggro if you run away from them far enough, so I could plink them from a distance. I easily cleared out all of the pink guys, only taking a scratch here and there. I did test the weapons you're "supposed" to have at that point- I'm playing a Novakid so I had the steel tier revolver. It did 7 damage per shot. So like 27 or 28 shots to kill a single pink guy, assuming you don't miss, and of course you have to wait for your energy to replenish because you don't get 28 consecutive shots on one bar of energy.

Anyway, while it took a while I methodically cleared out the pink guys throughout the base, dropped down to the boss fight. He started rushing towards me with a hammer, I tried backpedalling but ran out of corridor, so I panic fired and hit him twice, and took off about 1 bar of his health. Then he killed me in one hit. Needless to say I am not going to bother with that mission again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Supernorn posted:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Sedisp posted:

I agree the last post should've been worded better, but: 1. he is not a PR guy 2. you have no stake in the company so your PR skills are completely irrelevant.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

stuntwaffle posted:

supermom led the charge to have poo removed from ss13 and would get passive aggressively holier-than-thou buttmad when people criticized his new sprites for that (free) game as well, so none of this is surprising really

it's actually hilarious

Shots Fired.

• Locked thread