Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

SirDan3k posted:

The costume is boring but Jessica Drew is boring and only stays around through a grandfather character clause so it works.
I mean, Jessica Drew was gone (or at least not Spider-Woman) from 1985 to 2005, and appeared as a depowered Jessica Drew for basically twenty years. Bendis brought her back in New Avengers. There was a whole weird period under Shooter of depowering/writing out or replacing a bunch of b-list characters (Iron Fist, Jessica Drew Spider-Woman, Richard Ryder Nova, Carol Danvers Ms. Marvel, bringing in new Captain Marvels and Warlocks after Starlin killed them off, eliminating all vampires, etc.) in the early-mid 1980s. The new regime brought practically everyone back by 1992 or so, with the exception of putting Jessica Drew back in the suit.

Though at this point (with some cosmetic changes) literally everyone I mentioned in that parenthetical is back except Mar-Vell (who they tease every 18 months or so) and Richard Ryder, who I am sure will be back eventually. So maybe she is grandfathered in circa 2014. None of the other Spider-Woman/Spider-Girls seem to have stuck in the ensuing three decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nobody would know who the gently caress Spider-woman is if Bendis didn't have a huge crush on her.

She'd be like, Shroud obscure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody would know who the gently caress Spider-woman is if Bendis didn't have a huge crush on her.

She'd be like, Shroud obscure.

Pretty much. It didn't help that her first in costume appearance was drawn by David Finch either.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
The irony of Jessica Drew looking like Batgirl, of course, is that if any Spider-Woman can be said to be conceptually similar to Barbara Gordon, it's Spider-Gwen.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I still don't know why we're treating her as a Spider-Man character, either. She and Pete share a codename and that's about it.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
:spergin: Well obviously it's only temporary because she clearly goes back to her previous costume in a few months time as evidenced by Avengers :spergin:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The article on it clearly says that the outfit is for being more low-key in street-level investigations, so obviously she's wearing this new outfit under her Avengers outfit in the Hickman stuff. :smuggo:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

notthegoatseguy posted:

...Morlun apparently being married to that universe's Jessica with a full page kiss, is still pretty sexual regardless of who is writing it.

Well done, a kiss is now sexual....

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I hope in a few years, "practical" costumes are looked on with the same derision as pouches. It's capes, I want my superheroes and villains in flashy, impractical costumes.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It's comics. Sexual stuff is evil and icky and wrong and better not have it or will be made fun of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gatts posted:

It's comics. Sexual stuff is evil and icky and wrong and better not have it or will be made fun of.

Yeah, I'm a 5-year-old unable to perceive nuance as well.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I'd say the way this kiss was portrayed certainly wasn't some romantic gesture.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'd say the way this kiss was portrayed certainly wasn't some romantic gesture.

Eh don't worry about it, facepalm has some hangups about this stuff, just let it go.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know, looking at the 'renew your vows' teaser, is it me or does young Mary* look a bit old? I don't mean in the 'literally just a tiny adult' way (well, not *just* like that), but shouldn't she be something like a year old in comic book time, between OMD and now? For that matter, how old would Baby May be in Marvel Years?

*Going from the names for the Parker kids given in that Sensational Spider-Man issue with God and to distinguish her from Baby May.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's an alt universe, she's whatever age the story deems.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Valeria Richards is supposed to be about 4, right? And it looks like the one that's running around now was born in 2002, so May would probably be about 6-8 (except for the fact that that would never happen in the main continuity, because it would age Spider-Man too much, so she'd be permanently an infant while other young characters would slowly age, to the point that a teenage Valeria is babysitting her in 2025).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like Jessica's new costume a lot, even if it is obviously kind of...let's go with "inspired by"...some other costumes that are out there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So... Dan Slott's a) apparently quitting the internet (well, message boards) and b) explains that apparently Silk got a solo book because of SO MUCH fan mail, you guys!

I like how apparently he justifies it by pointing to the massive sales for ASM 1...despite the fact that a) It was a new #1 issue for one of the most popular characters in comics today who had just had a movie release, which also had like 20 variant covers to boot b) it was also packaged into Loot Crate, so a large percentage of sales was due to people who essentially bought it by accident, and c) this was Silk's debut, so people WEREN'T BUYING IT FOR HER. Any interest was due to the mystery instead of her as a character. Not to mention the whole event tie-in that's linked into her origin as well.

It's especially jarring since an actual case of fan support for a character (Spider-Gwen, natch) took place nearly concurrently with her creation. I mean, he might have a point, it's very difficult for us outsiders to understand the internal politics of the industry as someone who does it as his day job, but I've not seen the same widespread support online that Spider-Gwen has.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish he'd quit comics instead.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I just wish he'd have some sort of sitcomish head injury and go back to being the Dan Slott that wrote the first of his She-Hulk run, and Spidey/Torch. But that Dan is dead now.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Silk fan mail does not necessarily mean mail from fans of Silk. As truthful (or not) as he's trying to be, his statement could just as easily be interpreted as "mail from fans about Silk". Or maybe I'm just being an angry Spider-Man fanboy spreading hateful lies. drat semantics.

Also, ween =/= wean. Aren't you a professional writer, bro?

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Since people were talking about Spider-Woman as of issue 5 Land doesn't appear to be around anymore and she has a new costume.

The thing that strikes me most about this costume is how the jacket could be replace with a vest and yellow tie and get the same look. Which originally is what I thought the costume was. Still, I really do like it as a costume and would love if they got rid of the old one forever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fishylungs posted:

Still, I really do like it as a costume and would love if they got rid of the old one forever.

Someone who grew up reading Bendis' Avengers will come along in 15 years and gently caress it up again.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I like the new costume but I don't get the shoulder things.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Little Mac posted:

"The new Batgirl costume has snaps so put some snaps on it."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dreqqus posted:

I just wish he'd have some sort of sitcomish head injury and go back to being the Dan Slott that wrote the first of his She-Hulk run, and Spidey/Torch. But that Dan is dead now.

I agree. The difference between the writing of that Dan Slott and the Dan Slott we have now is remarkable, it's almost...like...they're two different people...MY GOD! Some dying, awful comics writer somehow swapped his mind with Dan Slott, to become...THE SUPERIOR SLOTT! Superior Spider-Man wasn't a cheap idea for a story that'd generate a bunch of controversy, he was taunting us by telling us exactly what he did! The fiend! :tinfoil:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Little Mac posted:

I would guess some connection to her web wings since they disappear when it's just being a fancy leather jacket.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I agree. The difference between the writing of that Dan Slott and the Dan Slott we have now is remarkable, it's almost...like...they're two different people...MY GOD! Some dying, awful comics writer somehow swapped his mind with Dan Slott, to become...THE SUPERIOR SLOTT! Superior Spider-Man wasn't a cheap idea for a story that'd generate a bunch of controversy, he was taunting us by telling us exactly what he did! The fiend! :tinfoil:

Howard Mackie?!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

He's such a twat, someone give me a nudge when he quits.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I've been a bit out of the comics game this last year and I was wondering if Doc Ock is still Spider-Man?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Happy Hippo posted:

I've been a bit out of the comics game this last year and I was wondering if Doc Ock is still Spider-Man?

Yes.

No.

The answer is both.

SPIDER-VERSE!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Everyone's a little Spider-Man, when you think about it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Happy Hippo posted:

No he got his rear end handed to him by Norman Osborn and then gave Peter back his body as he's the only person who could stop him and save Ock's girlfriend/the city.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Norman Osborne who is currently a different person until within three arcs of whoever takes over after Slott.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
But before all that he was in the future where he will recruit spider-people to beat up Twilight characters that are going to/had been eating them so now Spock and Peter are working together in the same different bodies.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Nevvy Z posted:

Norman Osborne who is currently a different person until within three arcs of whoever takes over after Slott.

Well Osborn is obviously going back to his old self, the entire point was very on the nose. It was two villains "occupying" different bodies for a story and becoming more powerful because of it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
So, stupid question: I just happened across someone saying that the old Exiles version of Spider-Woman--Mary Jane with short hair who dated Sunfire for a little while--was killed in Spider-Verse #1.

I'm looking right at that comic and don't see it happening, but a couple of different blogs and the Marvel Wikia are both saying otherwise. Anyone know where it is?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Just picked up issue #42 of The Amazing Spider-Man. The first appearance of Mary Jane Watson. It's not in ridiculously great condition or CGC rated. But definitely suits my standards to put in my collection. If I come across an even better quality one in the future I'll have to do a swap and off this one, but until then I am really excited to have it. Even then, this is easily the best quality I've seen from any of my local comic stores. Managed to get it for a relatively decent price as well even though the guy wouldn't haggle a loving penny. Still worth it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Windows 98 posted:

Just picked up issue #42 of The Amazing Spider-Man. The first appearance of Mary Jane Watson. It's not in ridiculously great condition or CGC rated. But definitely suits my standards to put in my collection. If I come across an even better quality one in the future I'll have to do a swap and off this one, but until then I am really excited to have it. Even then, this is easily the best quality I've seen from any of my local comic stores. Managed to get it for a relatively decent price as well even though the guy wouldn't haggle a loving penny. Still worth it.

Nice. As long as you're buying it for your personal collection and not some hypothetical future sale that's a great buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Skwirl posted:

Nice. As long as you're buying it for your personal collection and not some hypothetical future sale that's a great buy.

It is indeed a personal collection. I don't really ever plan on buying anything that would be worth a fortune in the future. If I was going to do that I'd buy an already CGC rated version of a high quality. I just like collecting :)

• Locked thread