Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

What a classy way to leave the network, Bryke. Give these men an award. (Well, another award)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
One other thing I loved about the finale: Korra beat Kuvira without entering the Avatar state. She did it on her own.

Finally, a victory that feels earned.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Its easy to get caught up in the action and the Korra/Asami thing, but I really liked the Wedding. It was super cute and a nice way to show all the characters in the final finale. Bolin with the Vows, Pabu being cute, the dance scenes, etc. It was a great way to kind of wind down from everything. I really enjoyed the whole sequence and to be honest, I really like where Varrick and Zhu Li ended up. Also, I could not help but laugh at the tiny bit of slow down right before Varrick proposed to Zhu Li. It felt like it was Star Wars influence as the show does enjoy taking from that series, but it was a good end to a solid finale.

To echo a previous poster, I do wish Bataar Jr and Kuvira had one final scene, even if to suggest that they were speaking again. How Su handled Bataar Jr and suggesting that family would work it though was a nice touch, mirror the Toph stuff from earlier. I kinda hoped that there would of been a tie in there, but cest la vie.

Man, what an ending! Every time I think about it, I find something new I liked about it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Although I will admit that I'm not looking forward to thousands of fans on the internet misspelling "canon" as "cannon" in the upcoming days.

Well I mean, there was a cannon in the episode too, but...

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
So is Korra pretty much the first bisexual, nonwhite female protagonist ever in mainstream media?

That was a great ending to a show that got really good half way through its seasons. I loved the giant laser beam cutting through the city like an explosion sword and I liked how everyone got a moment to shine. Sure, Asami didn't get to do much besides pilot her hummingbird, but she still got the girl in the end. :v:

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
So the entire episode was good, and a nice wrap up for the franchise. Count me among those who was surprised and pleased for the ending. That was pretty daring for a kids show, hats off to the creators for doing it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Crazy Ferret posted:

Its easy to get caught up in the action and the Korra/Asami thing, but I really liked the Wedding. It was super cute and a nice way to show all the characters in the final finale. Bolin with the Vows, Pabu being cute, the dance scenes, etc. It was a great way to kind of wind down from everything. I really enjoyed the whole sequence and to be honest, I really like where Varrick and Zhu Li ended up. Also, I could not help but laugh at the tiny bit of slow down right before Varrick proposed to Zhu Li. It felt like it was Star Wars influence as the show does enjoy taking from that series, but it was a good end to a solid finale.

Who knew that Tahno could play the trumpet?

Baatar Jr. and Kuvira having a moment is one thing I'd do if this was an hour long instead of 44 minutes. Another thing I'd do is another cameo by Glowy-Eyed Korra to show her really totally getting over this issue in a more concrete way. I'd also have made the liquid metal Kuvira was throwing around mercury, for the same reason + to show just how ruthless and horrible Kuvira can be.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Suspicious Cook posted:

So is Korra pretty much the first bisexual, nonwhite female protagonist ever in mainstream media?

First main character I think, but there's been a few side characters that fit that description. OITNB and Firefly come to mind, there's probably some more too. But yeah, pretty sure first main character.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The Sharmat posted:

Baatar Jr. and Kuvira having a moment is one thing I'd do if this was an hour long instead of 44 minutes. Another thing I'd do is another cameo by Glowy-Eyed Korra to show her really totally getting over this issue in a more concrete way. I'd also have made the liquid metal Kuvira was throwing around mercury, for the same reason + to show just how ruthless and horrible Kuvira can be.

Speaking of which, the battle in the cockpit was loving amazing.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

You really want the show to be different just because of how the fanbase would react?

The fanbase isn't the only reason, though it is an annoying one. I generally don't watch things for the romance and think Korra would have been a better show without any shipping between the teen characters. It took up too much time in the first and second seasons that could have been used on actual plot.

I just realized that The Red Lotus never showed up again. What was the point of the ominous statements in Book Three's finale then?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
You know they left it at handholding because the Parents/Religious groups would've been all over this show and spewing hate. Plus they can spin plausable deniability that Asami was just still really upset after the death of her father and the handholding/look was just emotional support from Korra.

I'm just really pleased that we can finally have an amazing three dimensional character of Korra be gay or bisexual in this day and age.

A fantastic finale to a really good show. I'll miss watching Korra and the amazing extended cast. Are there any plans for further Korra comics etc? Did the game sell well (Is it worth even playing?) enough to warrent a sequel?

I'll miss you, Korra.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
I guess Roku was right, being the Avatar doesn't hurt your chances with the ladies :chord:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Sharmat posted:

Jesus Christ what is wrong with you people.

It's a trombone.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Andrew_1985 posted:

A fantastic finale to a really good show. I'll miss watching Korra and the amazing extended cast. Are there any plans for further Korra comics etc? Did the game sell well (Is it worth even playing?) enough to warrent a sequel?

I'll miss you, Korra.
Let's just go full anime and have Korra OVAs. If they're just on Netflix or something they can probably get away with Korra and Asami kissing.

Plus I just don't like comics very much. The ATLA one I read left me completely cold.

As for a videogame, I'm telling you: make an Avatar video game along the lines of Jade Empire, starring the Earth Avatar after Korra.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sato posted:

I just realized that The Red Lotus never showed up again. What was the point of the ominous statements in Book Three's finale then?

Well, you see... in Traditional Chinese Lotus and Herring use the same pictogram: 蓮花. So, the Red Lotus were literally a Red Herring.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They actually did it. Mako confirmed for such a poo poo boyfriend he turned both his ex's into lesbians. :allears:

But seriously, that was a good way to end it and they actually evolved the relationship between Asami and Korra over the course of the series really well. It didn't feel forced or out of nowhere, which is impressive considering how long they've been on screen together with nothing but vague hints. Good show. Beyond shipping shenanigans some stuff felt a bit rushed, and I wish we'd at least gotten to see a little of Kuvira after she surrendered, but overall a really solid finale. It is a little sad though that this may end up being the last episode of Avatar I'll ever watch. :smith:

Also gently caress yes, Bolin did the thing. Spinning lava disks all day every day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm perfectly fine with this being the end of Korra to be honest. The character had a full plot arc, things were resolved and we don't have to deal with their awkward attempts at onscreen romance and can leave it at a fairly nice subdued thing.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Andrew_1985 posted:

You know they left it at handholding because the Parents/Religious groups would've been all over this show and spewing hate. Plus they can spin plausable deniability that Asami was just still really upset after the death of her father and the handholding/look was just emotional support from Korra.

I'm just really pleased that we can finally have an amazing three dimensional character of Korra be gay or bisexual in this day and age.

I'll miss you, Korra.

The shipping seemed a bit tacked on which was the weird part for me. Korra seemed to have better chemistry with Kuvira.

I'm glad it's not Mako though :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The music in this show is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo loving good.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just glad I'm not Ravane because I hate being incredibly wrong about things that I have argued about with such extreme vitriol.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm just glad I'm not Ravane because I hate being incredibly wrong about things that I have argued about with such extreme vitriol.

I'm glad I'm not Ravane for an awful lot of other reasons, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

The shipping seemed a bit tacked on which was the weird part for me. Korra seemed to have better chemistry with Kuvira.

I'm glad it's not Mako though :v:

I don't think there was a single person who saw the scene with her and Mako and didn't briefly go "oh god, they're not trying to start that again, are they?"

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think there was a single person who saw the scene with her and Mako and didn't briefly go "oh god, they're not trying to start that again, are they?"

I didn't really react physically at television at all but when the Mako/Korra scene started I flashed back to the season 1 finale and actually facepalmed.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Well, you see... in Traditional Chinese Lotus and Herring use the same pictogram: 蓮花. So, the Red Lotus were literally a Red Herring.

...That is awesome.

Genocyber posted:

The music in this show is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo loving good.

Totally agree. I've pretty much given up hope of ever getting any more soundtracks out of Nick, but hopefully enough industry people and show creators have seen the series that the Track Team will never be out of work again.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Sharmat posted:

Let's just go full anime and have Korra OVAs.

You know this very exact thought passed through my mind as the show ended, and I was like "Awesome, I can't wait to see the spinoff movies" but then I was like "Wait, it's not an anime series. poo poo. :smith:"

Seriously, I think it has enough material for a couple spinoff movies! It could be like Madoka Magica or Rebuild of Evangelion, with a retelling trilogy!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ImpAtom posted:

I was loving rolling. I give no fucks about any of the shipping in this show (besides Varric & Zhu Li), so if they had trolled everybody by having Korra and Mako back together again right before the final curtain drop, I would have died from laughter. Although I have a feeling the anti-LGBT rage from the Korrasami end will be just as entertaining.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I actually feel just the tiniest bit bad for Mako because he ended up being a pretty great character too and I think he's gonna go down in TV history as the dude that had both his girlfriends end up with each other instead of him.

Sato posted:

...That is awesome.
I don't think it's real. :ssh:

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Hooray! Now I really do never have to watch Nickelodeon again!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I was expecting to see people rushing out of the EMPED mecha suits as the giant one walked towards them and over them.

Also Kuvira tearing off her (mecha) arm as soon as it was useless was pretty badass.

And Bataar Jr fell off the face of the planet as soon as he gave away a weak point.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Seems he got probated for a week as a christmas gift to TVIV just now.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 19, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Seems he got probated for a week as a christmas gift to TVIV just now.
Was looking forward to his meltdown. Oh well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, holy poo poo. That was a loving fantastic finale. I thought the robot would be really dumb but it didn't end up being an issue. Speaking of the robot, they destroyed like half the city fighting that thing, wow! Everything about the final confrontation worked brilliantly for me, especially the fight in the command room. After New Year's, Deadpool is going to lock this thread permanently. And then Korra/Asami, holy poo poo, that was amazingly blatant. I'm not the type to get into any of this shipping nonsense but it's good that the characters with actual worthwhile interactions had those paid off well not just in the finale but in the entire season. The friendship between Korra and Asami was probably the best dynamic in the entire show, to be honest, so I was loving giddy at that final scene. Honestly, that might have been better than TLA's finale, though it didn't have anything quite as impressive as the Last Agni Kai.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
That was a fantastic ending that the only negative part about it was the complete lack of MORE TIME! And the player on the site being complete poo poo.

It ended on such a high note, goddamn.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Please change the thread title to Legend of Korra Book 4.44: Korra is (Definitely) Bisexual

Also episode officially released at midnight, meaning it's been an hour since it "officially" ended airing. We can stop spoiler tags, y'all.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

MrAristocrates posted:

Uh, holy poo poo. That was a loving fantastic finale. I thought the robot would be really dumb but it didn't end up being an issue. Speaking of the robot, they destroyed like half the city fighting that thing, wow! Everything about the final confrontation worked brilliantly for me, especially the fight in the command room. After New Year's, Deadpool is going to lock this thread permanently. And then Korra/Asami, holy poo poo, that was amazingly blatant. I'm not the type to get into any of this shipping nonsense but it's good that the characters with actual worthwhile interactions had those paid off well not just in the finale but in the entire season. The friendship between Korra and Asami was probably the best dynamic in the entire show, to be honest, so I was loving giddy at that final scene. Honestly, that might have been better than TLA's finale, though it didn't have anything quite as impressive as the Last Agni Kai.

Honestly the Last Agni Kai was the only part of Sozin's Comet I really enjoyed so this finale thoroughly beats it for me. I mean the last Agni Kai resonated more with me than anything in LoK's finale, but...then there's the whole rest of the episode.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

No spoiler tags this time. Just reposting this because it is pure joy.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 19, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Korra is actually the most anime

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

ApeHawk posted:

That was a fantastic ending that the only negative part about it was the complete lack of MORE TIME! And the player on the site being complete poo poo.

It ended on such a high note, goddamn.

Seriously though, that player is SO BAD. "Hey man I'm done loading! hahaaa just messin' with you, I can't even buffer 10 seconds ahead. Actually I think I'm gonna skip ten minutes ahead, that okay with you? No, don't rewind, I said ten minutes ahead. Also, hey, I'm done loading."

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I actually feel just the tiniest bit bad for Mako because he ended up being a pretty great character too and I think he's gonna go down in TV history as the dude that had both his girlfriends end up with each other instead of him.

I don't think it's real. :ssh:

Mako's moment to shine was pretty well done and well-animated. I'm surprised at how likable they were able to make him after the lows of his plot in Book Two.

And probably, but still awesome.

And I'm pretty happy that Korra never got her past lives back. I'm surprised at my reaction considering that was my favorite aspect of the series. It was definitely the best choice for the character and the show as a whole.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I was fully expecting the spirit vines to take down and destroy Kurvira so Korra wouldn't have to after she escaped into them, but the way it ended was just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Sato posted:

And I'm pretty happy that Korra never got her past lives back. I'm surprised at my reaction considering that was my favorite aspect of the series. It was definitely the best choice for the character and the show as a whole.

But consider this: if they were to ever continue the show with another future Avatar, that Avatar would have the spirit of Korra to talk to.

• Locked thread