Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Rosalind posted:

No spoiler tags this time. Just reposting this because it is pure joy.

I cannot get over how sweet this is. A Good End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sato posted:

Mako's moment to shine was pretty well done and well-animated. I'm surprised at how likable they were able to make him after the lows of his plot in Book Two.

It was, and I actually thought for a moment there that they were going to go through with killing him off. But what happened was perfectly fine, and it was a good scene all around.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Why are you so invested in Kuvira being as much of a cardboard villain as possible?
Heh, unlike Unalaq I believe this could have been done without making Kuvira come off as that. We saw that she already was determined, the use of a few dirty tricks to unite the Earth Kingdom wouldn't have been surprising. And unlike Unalaq, we did have some context to make sense of it.

Sydin posted:

Also gently caress yes, Bolin did the thing. Spinning lava disks all day every day.
I found it funny that both he and Ghazan don't hesitate to ram their enemies if given the chance.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, it was a pretty great finale, though it was a bit lighter on character development than I'd hoped (Mako, Bolin, Lin, Tenzin, and any number of important characters ended the hour pretty much the same way they began it) (I just can't really see Varrick or Wu as important characters), and I definitely still like book 3 more than book 4 in general. The so-called solution for the chaos throughout the Earth Kingdom felt rather tacked-on for such a complicated sociopolitical issue, came about more or less without Korra's involvement, and I'm not actually sure how it's supposed to solve their specific problem.
I understand your thoughts about Mako, but I don't think Tenzin really needed any development (he's gone through enough of it in Book 2 and Book 3), Lin didn't either (and I love that she was the "carry Bolin" person) and Bolin has gone through a lot in the ten first episodes of this Book, so I think he was done.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm honestly pretty happy that the entire ending was building up to Korra learning compassion, even for her enemies, and for her great victory to be an act of compassion and self-sacrifice. That's a pretty nice way to end her character arc.
Did anyone else feel a little bit uncomfortable when she said "Now I understand why I had to go through so much suffering." (paraphrasing)? Why couldn't she have learned that lesson without suffering so much?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

SexyBlindfold posted:

Seriously though, that player is SO BAD. "Hey man I'm done loading! hahaaa just messin' with you, I can't even buffer 10 seconds ahead. Actually I think I'm gonna skip ten minutes ahead, that okay with you? No, don't rewind, I said ten minutes ahead. Also, hey, I'm done loading."

I swear I missed some and tried to go back,jumps ahead to minutes,ugh. Also no gifs of the spirit laser blocking yet drat.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

loving perfect ending.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

After New Year's, Deadpool is going to lock this thread permanently.
That's cool, I was gonna make a memorial thread anyways.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynx26LJ1YC4

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah, no, he won't allow that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I really liked how Kuvira seemed to be in awe of Korra after Korra saved her. If there's every a future series I'd like there to be some mention of writings by her on the Avatar, like gospel or some poo poo.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I was fully expecting the spirit vines to take down and destroy Kurvira so Korra wouldn't have to after she escaped into them, but the way it ended was just fine.

I'm also glad they didn't go that route, since the whole "villain who abused certain peaceful race for their own power just to have them attacked by it" trope is overdone. That, and the spirits made it explicit that they weren't going to participate in the battle whatsoever. The cannon overloading and getting out of control from the insane amount of vines connected to it and Korra loving Energybending it to create a protective dome around them was perfect, though. In the end, she DID use the Avatar state to stop Kuvira.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I was fully expecting the spirit vines to take down and destroy Kurvira so Korra wouldn't have to after she escaped into them, but the way it ended was just fine.

Yeah, I was sure this was going to happen. They even had like a 10 minute bit of potential foreshadowing with the spirit vines lashing out at people abusing them earlier in the season.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Things you, SpiderHyphenMan, should not do:
  • Make a Korra Memorial thread.
  • Call out Nick on Twitter for not having Korrasami go down on each other on network TV.
  • Post.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I shed a tear watching the finale; so many emotions. I need to sleep, but I don't think I can. I guess I'll look at Wikipedia and see if there's anything interesting there.

...What the gently caress, there's a Korra game on the 3DS?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, no, he won't allow that.
Maybe if he probated people who said poo poo about sucking Dumbledore's dick the threads wouldn't be any trouble.
Like holy gently caress, maybe don't implicitly encourage threadshitting by just going "lol it's just the Korra thread, it's poo poo anyways."

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

This was a good ending, but will probably ruin any and all future discussion pertaining to Legend of Korra with ideological slapfighting.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Maybe if he probated people who said poo poo about sucking Dumbledore's dick the threads wouldn't be any trouble.
Like holy gently caress, maybe don't implicitly encourage threadshitting by just going "lol it's just the Korra thread, it's poo poo anyways."

But it is poo poo anyways?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

Things you, SpiderHyphenMan, should not do:
  • Make a Korra Memorial thread.
  • Call out Nick on Twitter for not having Korrasami go down on each other on network TV.
  • Post.
Ahahahah yes me wanting to have Nick be courageous enough to show Korra and Asami kiss just like Aang/Katara or Varrick/Zhu Li is EXACTLY like me wanting to see graphic animated oral sex.

Go gently caress yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Simmer down

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The ending they went with was better then the villain taken out by the thing their abusing trope.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That was pretty irresponsible of them to attack that big robot in the middle of the city like that; They destroyed dozens of skyscrapers! The city wasn't even close to evacuated; hundreds of thousands of people must have died in those blasts. Kuvira needs to eat/sleep they could have just waited a few days then sneak into it to sabotage it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Ahahahah yes me wanting to have Nick be courageous enough to show Korra and Asami kiss just like Aang/Katara or Varrick/Zhu Li is EXACTLY like me wanting to see graphic animated oral sex.

Dude chill be the leaf.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

That was pretty irresponsible of them to attack that big robot in the middle of the city like that; They destroyed dozens of skyscrapers! The city wasn't even close to evacuated; hundreds of thousands of people must have died in those blasts. Kuvira needs to eat/sleep they could have just waited a few days then sneak into it to sabotage it.

The non-evacuated people were underground with Wu. They even say as much later on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You're not fighting for us, you're embarrassing us.

Also yea as said, this was miles better than Airbender' s finale and a solid end to the story. Coulda had more Kuvara beforehand but they did well enough.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

CeallaSo posted:

But consider this: if they were to ever continue the show with another future Avatar, that Avatar would have the spirit of Korra to talk to.

True, though I'd miss the whole unbroken line of mystical wisdom going back ten thousand years aspect. I'm hoping that if they ever do another show in this universe it'll be somewhere in the middle of the line so we still have that and the series isn't weirdly futuristic like Bryke originally planned.

SirKibbles posted:

I swear I missed some and tried to go back,jumps ahead to minutes,ugh. Also no gifs of the spirit laser blocking yet drat.

My favorite is when the image freezes but the sound continues. It always seems to happen at some pivotal moment.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I loved the ending. It was a very brave and appropriate move. What did it say at the very end after the lovey-dovey stare fadeaway?
Probably something mundane like "The End" but I just want to be certain.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Coulda had more Kuvara beforehand but they did well enough.

I'm pretty sure this is a ship nobody wants to see sail.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Toshimo posted:

I literally cannot spell Earth Hitler's name no matter how many times I do it

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
How did they manage to evacuate a city of what must be millions of people in such an orderly fashion?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Gaussian posted:

I loved the ending. It was a very brave and appropriate move. What did it say at the very end after the lovey-dovey stare fadeaway?

Yeah, it was "The End". Exact same Chinese characters as the end of TLA.

That was honestly one of the best season endings they've done, period. Korra using her words to prove that she can be the Avatar without using the Avatar State — even when she has access to it — and empathizing with Kuvira was a fantastic demonstration of the very real character development she's gone through, and it's what I've been wanting from the series for a long time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

How did they manage to evacuate a city of what must be millions of people in such an orderly fashion?

Not with any help from Mako, that much is sure.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

DrSunshine posted:

Well, they had tons of ships and a week to do it. They just needed a bit of more time they thought they had to get the last batch of people out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DrSunshine posted:

Mako left.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

The non-evacuated people were underground with Wu. They even say as much later on.

I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. There defiantly didn't seem to be enough time to evacuate a city that size, with a skyline like that Republic City must have a population at least in the millions.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Gaussian posted:

It had the same characters as the original series' ending so I assume so. It really was beautifully done, both in the animation and execution. Even if I don't like romance it was better than Aang and Katara's ending kiss by far.

Toshimo posted:

Katara can't mourn for Aang forever. What do you have against old people finding love? :colbert:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if "Do the thing" is going to become a popular phrase for marriage.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

The music in this show is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo loving good.

Through all the bumps, the music has always been outstanding.

loving rip Hiroshi. I was ready to complain about Asami getting the poo poo end of the stick for 4 seasons straight, but then Korrasami happened.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Please change the thread title to Legend of Korra Book 4.44: Korra is (Definitely) Bisexual

Also episode officially released at midnight, meaning it's been an hour since it "officially" ended airing. We can stop spoiler tags, y'all.

Most people are asleep at this hour.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

ApeHawk posted:

The cannon overloading and getting out of control from the insane amount of vines connected to it and Korra loving Energybending it to create a protective dome around them was perfect, though. In the end, she DID use the Avatar state to stop Kuvira.

I think that's the thing, though. She didn't use the Avatar State to stop Kuvira, she used it to save her. "The noblest thing you can do is save Hitler" is kind of an iffy message to give, but the show really pulled it off neatly. I agree with everyone else who said that Kuvira could have used some extra screen time afterwards, but hey, what can you do.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

EDIT: I'm dumb

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
That was pretty cute.

The fight in the control tower looked like it would make for a sick Platinum Games QTE.

Also they actually said the word "dead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rutibex posted:

I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. There defiantly didn't seem to be enough time to evacuate a city that size, with a skyline like that Republic City must have a population at least in the millions.
Eh stuff like this always happens in action cartoons, like the Justice League Unlimited finale

• Locked thread