Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

HoneyBoy posted:

Also they actually said the word "dead."

Well, the alternatives to that line would have sounded ridiculous even by this show's standards.

"Where are we? Are we... taken down?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

The Sharmat posted:

Let's just go full anime and have Korra OVAs. If they're just on Netflix or something they can probably get away with Korra and Asami kissing.

Plus I just don't like comics very much. The ATLA one I read left me completely cold.

As for a videogame, I'm telling you: make an Avatar video game along the lines of Jade Empire, starring the Earth Avatar after Korra.

Although it would be a very cool premise, I don't think a Bioware style RPG could jive well with Avatar.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

SexyBlindfold posted:

I think that's the thing, though. She didn't use the Avatar State to stop Kuvira, she used it to save her. "The noblest thing you can do is save Hitler" is kind of an iffy message to give, but the show really pulled it off neatly. I agree with everyone else who said that Kuvira could have used some extra screen time afterwards, but hey, what can you do.

That's kinda what I meant. Everyone tried everything except being on her side when it came to trying to stop Kuvira. The only thing that stopped her was Korra saving her and being compassionate towards her in the end. Something that wouldn't have happened had she not used the Avatar state to save her from her own weapon.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
lol holy poo poo

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SexyBlindfold posted:

Well, the alternatives to that line would have sounded ridiculous even by this show's standards.

"Where are we? Are we... taken down?"

Meanwhile, Adventure Time can have Jake say I'LL KILL YOU to the Lich and mean it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah as far as I'm concerned this just did the theme of Sozin's Comet, but better in every way.

Gaussian posted:

I loved the ending. It was a very brave and appropriate move. What did it say at the very end after the lovey-dovey stare fadeaway?
Probably something mundane like "The End" but I just want to be certain.

It said "Just Friends"

Also Korra is gonna be a way better adviser to the next Avatar than Aang or Roku ever were.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This ending bothers me in the same way the A:tlA ending did. Ok sure Kuviras convictions where tissue thin and she gave up after getting a bloody nose; why would her army/empire fold too? Kuviras army is still unmatched, the factory that made that robot still exists and the technology to make spirit canons is well known. It would be like trying to win WW2 by only killing Hitler. Someone would just take his place it's a huge system it doesn't all rely on one guy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They didn't kill Hitler. They talked him down and had him order his troops to disarm.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah as far as I'm concerned this just did the theme of Sozin's Comet, but better in every way.

It said "Just Friends"

Gal pals

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

They didn't kill Hitler. They talked him down and had him order his troops to disarm.

And they mentioned most of the troops were forced to join by Kuvira. Once she was gone there was nothing keeping them in the army.

And who would replace her? The only real inner circle we saw was Baatar Jr., Bolin, Varrick and Zhu Li and they're all deserters.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

This ending bothers me in the same way the A:tlA ending did. Ok sure Kuviras convictions where tissue thin and she gave up after getting a bloody nose; why would her army/empire fold too? Kuviras army is still unmatched, the factory that made that robot still exists and the technology to make spirit canons is well known. It would be like trying to win WW2 by only killing Hitler. Someone would just take his place it's a huge system it doesn't all rely on one guy.

Because in media taking down the leader generally means everything else falling apart.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rutibex posted:

Because her whole army was built around a cult of personality devoted to her. Kuvira was invincible, and so they followed her. Now she had lost, admitted she lost, and told them to stand down. They're going to do it because the reason they followed her has crumbled. Not to mention the closest thing to a second in command (Bataar Jr) was also taken care of, so there was a massive vacuum of leadership that would need to be filled on the spot.

ApeHawk posted:

That's kinda what I meant. Everyone tried everything except being on her side when it came to trying to stop Kuvira. The only thing that stopped her was Korra saving her and being compassionate towards her in the end. Something that wouldn't have happened had she not used the Avatar state to save her from her own weapon.

The theme carried through Korra's saving of Kuvira was excellent, and as others have pointed out much better conveyed than in the AtLA finale. Despite everything though, my favorite Korra/Kuvira scene was when Korra first launched into a victory speech, and Kuvira just hit her with a brick.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

Because in media taking down the leader generally means everything else falling apart.

Yeah I guess I'm expecting too much political subilty from a childrens cartoon :shrug:

That Korra/Kasumi thing at the end threw me right off, felt kind of tacked on to troll the internet. If they wanted a legit lesbian romance they would have actually you know had one like the many hetro romances they showed on screen.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Sydin posted:

The theme carried through Korra's saving of Kuvira was excellent, and as others have pointed out much better conveyed than in the AtLA finale. Despite everything though, my favorite Korra/Kuvira scene was when Korra first launched into a victory speech, and Kuvira just hit her with a brick.

That was terrific! The whole fight was good-- I'm glad they found a way for Korra and Kuvira to just have a huge, intense, knock-down drag-out bending fight without giant robots, the avatar state, spirit kaijus, or all of those other usual last episode things getting in the way.

Also Korrasami is loving real, I can't believe it. I can't believe it.

:unsmith:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rutibex posted:

That Korra/Kasumi thing at the end threw me right off, felt kind of tacked on to troll the internet. If they wanted a legit lesbian romance they would have actually you know had one like the many hetro romances they showed on screen.

Think hard about why this didn't happen and a certain degree of deniability was inserted in.

I can't imagine the little hints going on and that ending would've happened if it weren't thrown up online instead of television, honestly. I'd be okay for more digital content, if that's the case, as long as it's not PG-13 Spongebob whoo-hoo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still cannot believe how blatant that was.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hahahaha the original ending was actually not as gay.

some dude who saw the BTS process posted:

They didn’t hold hands in the early animatic that I saw. OR look at each other like that. So I had thought the ending was more up in the air romance-wise for Korra.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I think you underestimate just how puritan America is when it comes to anything aimed at anyone under 18, let alone deliberately "kiddie" stuff like cartoons. Queer "romance" in that context comes off as sexual instantly for some people, and there's the distinct possibility that the show could have gotten canned. Not super likely, given the uproar that would have followed, but I don't think I'm overexaggerating too much.

(Nick also operates in even more conservative markets than the US, of course, and that's definitely a part of it.)

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
what did the text actually say

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

quite the fucker posted:

what did the text actually say

No Homo

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

=If they wanted a legit lesbian romance they would have actually you know had one like the many hetro romances they showed on screen.

I don't think they could have, actually. I think this was as blatant as they could make it. Baby steps.

I mean if this is accurate:

And I'm pretty sure it is since this guy did their story boards, it's easy to read between the lines that they had to sneak the handholding and lovey-dovey expression past their own artists.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Well, they definitely weren't low on animation budget for the finale.

I thought it was pretty good. Even if I'm tired of the climax for like 30% of things being a really giant monster thing attacking a city.

Korra and Kuvira fighting inside the mech was pretty boss, I wish they could have shown a but more of that. I'm glad the past couple seasons got away from "every fight is just elemental punches except special occasions" like the first two kinda were.

Way to be so useless that even your secret info about how to disable the mech doesn't work, Bataar Jr. Now go put the domes back over Zaofu, betraitor. Maybe Mako will have one of those cool lightning scars that look like tattoos though.

Lin looks like a totally different person out of her uniform. I thought there was some Bei Fong person I'd forgotten about.

It's cool that Korra and Asami aren't afraid of holding hands and having people misinterpret their almost clinically platonic friendship as something else. j/k korrasami 4 lyfe. Nick should have backed the idea from the get-go. They were concerned about dudes not watching a show with a female lead, but dudes love watching shows with lesbians. There's all kinds of weird quirky webseries about lesbians and tons of dudes are watching them all the time. Like multiple times a day.

Ever since book 2 I was hoping we would have gotten more spirit characters playing bigger roles. Stuff like Koh at the end of ATLA season 1 is some of my favourite fantasy stuff ever, and it would have been cool to have more of a face to the spirit world since they talked about it so much. Ah well.

If this were secretly not the series finale I would be pretty amped about next season, even if it wouldn't make sense dramatically to have something more low-key after this it would be pretty cool to see.

I guess Zuko finding out from Korra that Iroh is in the spirit world is the closest we'll get to seeing them hang out again.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
So did anyone else, when Korra was running through the spirit vines after Kuvira and suddenly stopped and gasped, for a split second expect Kuvira to have been taken over by a spirit/Koh instead of Kuvira finding the gun? I thought it was just me but apparently my brother thought the same thing. So glad that didn't happen.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Also, one of the things I really enjoyed about that Korra/Kuvira fight was how they depicted Korra getting worn out and fatigued even as she kept fighting. So often, cartoons just rely on some heavy breathing and sweat but maintain intensity in the eyes and expression, but you could tell in the cockpit that Korra had a look that said, "Man, I'm tired of this poo poo, just go down already." A nice subtle touch that probably only I infer. Whatever. It's a night for fan canon, allow me this one.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The Korrasami thing was fantastic, but that is a tiny dinghy of a ship compared to the amazingness that is the SS Do the Thing

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can we also rejoice that a set up for another stupid Meelo fart joke was completely avoided?

iSheep fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 19, 2014

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

iSheep posted:

Can we also rejoice that a set up for another stupid Meelo fart joke was completed avoided?

I was definitely surprised he didn't fartbend there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

iSheep posted:

Can we also rejoice that a set up for another stupid Meelo fart joke was completed avoided?

I was kinda sad about that, actually.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm so stoked about Korrasami I can't even express how happy I am this became a thing. I don't usually ship characters in the absence of a blatant romantic Thing but I was so tentatively hopeful that they'd have a queer (bisexual, even!) lady on screen in a show for younger audiences. It owns to see people yourself represented in the cartoons and stuff you like when you're younger, it's really hard to articulate how exciting this is. :unsmith:

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if "Do the thing" is going to become a popular phrase for marriage.

It's gender-neutral. Why not. :3:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

iSheep posted:

My relief over Meelo just airbending normally was as profound as my relief that that little scene with Mako and Korra didn't end up with them getting back together.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I can't believe the big reveal at the end when it turned out Korra and Asami were actually cousins, what a dramatic turn.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

iSheep posted:

Can we also rejoice that a set up for another stupid Meelo fart joke was completely avoided?

That had to be a deliberate fake out; I was waiting on that fart.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wait did they explain how Wu was able to loving command badger-moles? Was this an Earth Nation royal thing? Is he actually a summoner and not a DPS class?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

BrianWilly posted:

Wait did they explain how Wu was able to loving command badger-moles? Was this an Earth Nation royal thing? Is he actually a summoner and not a DPS class?

Watch the secret tunnel episode of TLA.

They like singing and that's how they were led out of the pitch black tunnels.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

They love Wu's singing, just as they should.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Reene posted:

I'm so stoked about Korrasami I can't even express how happy I am this became a thing. I don't usually ship characters in the absence of a blatant romantic Thing but I was so tentatively hopeful that they'd have a queer (bisexual, even!) lady on screen in a show for younger audiences. It owns to see people yourself represented in the cartoons and stuff you like when you're younger, it's really hard to articulate how exciting this is. :unsmith:

I'm queer and I'm still kind of reeling myself. When every single cartoon (or even teen/kid movie) with even the slightest hint of romance ends with something like the end of TLA, it's actually kind of confusing to see part of yourself so clearly reflected in a freaking NICKELODEON production of all places. And I actually prefer how they pulled it off here too, no need for the awkward babygay "what does it all mean???" stuff that always comes up when someone tries to tackle it head on.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I guess we're to infer that because they're blind they use sound a lot more, and Wu, being a singer with skill comparable to the Roman emperor Nero, earned their loyalty.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BrianWilly posted:

He's always been summoner, didn't you see the fight between him and Mako in the clip episode? His STR and DEX are clearly poo poo. But who needs those when you have max CHA. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Sato posted:

So did anyone else, when Korra was running through the spirit vines after Kuvira and suddenly stopped and gasped, for a split second expect Kuvira to have been taken over by a spirit/Koh instead of Kuvira finding the gun? I thought it was just me but apparently my brother thought the same thing. So glad that didn't happen.

I was thinking for a second that she'd enter the clearing and find Koh having stolen Kuvira's face or some poo poo. I'm glad they didn't go that route.

• Locked thread