Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I want to pimp out something more, now that I've had more time with it.

Dungeon of the Endless may be my game of the year as it's going so far. And I really, really liked Wolfenstein and Dragon Age.

The short version is that it's a Roguelike, in the veins of Spelunky, BoI, or FTL. You start with very little, and by playing more and more you unlock newer stuff to try out, eventually hitting on a strategy that works for how you play. In this case what you earn is broken down into two categories, Heroes, and Ships.

Heroes are simple, and come in four categories. Operators are usually support/buffer style characters who fare poorly in a fight, but can increase your resource gain. Runners are fast fuckers who play good interference between the hordes of monsters and the hardpoints you are trying to defend. Soldiers are mean fucks who can rip apart enemy waves quickly. And Brutes can hold a doorway forever. But of course you also have dozens of hybrids; Operators who are also Brutes, Runner Soldiers with even less defense, etc etc. It makes building your "crew" of 4 entirely personal, because you have so many various types of hero to choose from.

Supplementing this is the Ships. You starts with the basic pod that offers 2 hero slots, but no negatives/positives. Eventually you get the Medical Bay which removes the free healing, but gives all heroes more health/adds drugs into the levels to buff your guys. Or the Armory which gives you 4 guys to start with, but no way to build anything nonHero related, so you have to use them properly throughout the game. Or the ship that forces you to use only a single hero for the entire game, but makes him more powerful. These ships when combined with the pretty large array of heroes gives you almost triple the amount of starting options of BoI/FTL, while making every run completely different.

You probably noticed me talking about resources up there. So here's the craziest thing. It's basically a Roguelike boardgame. Oh sure when the monsters come out you need to pay attention to whats happening, but twitch skills aren't the key to winning in DotE. Instead it's outplanning/outplaying the dungeon itself. You start with three forms of currency; Industry, Science, and Food. You expend Industry to build Major and Minor modules in rooms, which in turn give you increased Industry/Science/Food per turn. Science lets you research new modules, or upgrade existing ones. And Food lets you buy new heroes you find, or level up existing ones. But to get these resources? You need to open the doors. Every "turn" is set to a door opening, which means you only have so many turns per floor before you run out of resources. This places a premium on planning ahead, and futureproofing your crew against whats coming. You obviously need industry to buy more modules, but you may also need more food to quickly level up a guy to unlock better skills. Or to hire that great hero you found. Or more science to unlock a new thing.

And that's just the bare minimum surface stuff. I didn't even mention the fact the game has a defending mechanic, where every time you open a door, monsters might spawn in rooms you haven't powered yet. And those monsters book it to the crystal you need to defend from floor to floor, and will eat up your power supply if you let them. Of course you could use the ingame tower defense turret stuff to set up waves of traps for them, and do all sorts of oddball nonsense in that regard if you really like tower defense. Or you can just totally ignore that, maybe put down a slow turret here and there, and instead focus on creating natural checkpoints/abusing heroes in checkpoints to explore your levels, while avoiding it entirely. It's just another mechanic you can choose to use if you enjoy it, or ignore if you don't; with certain heroes/ships supporting a super turret playstyle, and others supporting a no turrets at all playstyle.

Or how about the fact it's got a goddamn story in it somehow, and certain combinations of characters have plotlines that fire off for every elevator ride they take together. Do enough of these and eventually you finish the plotline, which also adds buffs/debuffs to certain characters in the plot, and can even lead to your heroes killing each other in between floors. And this is all showcased in a picture book album behind the scenes style thing you piece together by playing the game. Every hero you find ingame and unlock adds a bit more to the puzzle, and a few of the larger grouped story elevator rides show the silhouettes of who is involved in them. This gives you some basic hints of who you are looking for in those runs.

Oh, and I forgot all about the 4 player multiplayer. Which you need to communicate over, because it splits the resources across all 4 players, forcing you to rely more and more on your heroes, as you will all individually make less per turn then you normally would. But I mean you do have the benefit of more heroes on the floor, and not having to micromanage them, which can be a blessing in itself, especially with the right team combo/ship choice. Unfortunately while it's totally functional, it's still not the best, as you can't get story unlocks while playing multiplayer ( presumably due to the whole elevator murder bits ), can't share upgrades, and can't trade items, which makes it need to be a bit more cooperative then normal. Unlike the base game where finding chests/upgrading stuff is easy since it's all you, you can end up in a multiplayer situation where one guy is running behind on items since the other players keep grabbing them, or where two people unlocked Industry Gen 2, because they didn't have anything else good to buy in the store. They've said they want to tweak it more in the future though, so I have hopes.

It's got that gently caress yes feeling of pulling off a tricky fight in Isaac ( without the artstyle ), the "this is what we have to work with I guess" feeling of FTL, the exploration/secrets aspect of Spelunky, and the one more turn aspect of Civ games, all rolled into one terrifying hour sink of a package. In short it's a drat good game, and anybody who even remotely enjoys any of those games I just mentioned should give it a real shot, as you'll probably enjoy it potentially even more then those games. I've somehow managed to sink 12 hours into it over two days, despite the fact I'm supposed to be gearing up for Christmas right now, which I think says more then even this wall of text does as to the quality of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Yet another game to consider, it seems. Looks nice too.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Dungeon of the Endless is a really good multiplayer game, despite Rookersh's valid misgivings. I would've played it even more, but my mp buddy started having hardware problems (not caused by the game, in case you're wondering). Definitely pick it up if you want to play a slower, methodical game with your buddies.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

With Endless Legend picking up the Civ flag after the misstep of Beyond Earth and Dungeon of the Endless being an amazing FTL "sequel", Amplitude had a great year.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Everblight posted:

Goons. I am level 33 and have 16 friends, 15 of which are IRL buddies.

Let us play some multiplayer, your pick:

I'd be down to play monaco.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Lambeth/

A Bystander posted:

I've got Monaco, Merc Kings, Sonic, and Spelunky.
Spelunky is local co-op only. :cop:

Xabarin
Jun 9, 2006

I don't wanna grow up

Everblight posted:

Goons. I am level 33 and have 16 friends, 15 of which are IRL buddies.

Let us play some multiplayer, your pick:

More friends? Sure, why not! http://steamcommunity.com/id/xabarin

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I can't get the steam storefront to load at all, what the hell? Everything else seems to work fine. I'm sitting here mashing refresh and have nothing but a blank screen.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thanks to train conductor Xander77 for Contraption Maker and Defy Gravity. My friend list already feels much merrier!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is Lichdom Battlemage any good?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Someone give me the rundown on Styx. I heard that it's a good stealth game at the start but that later levels drop in quality?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jerusalem posted:

I have never played any of the Lego games but Marvel Superheroes looks really great. Is it actually fun to play/a good game or is it just throwing a ton of characters at the player to dazzle them with references?

In case anybody is in a similar boat to me re: this game, the answer to both questions is yes.

:stare:

Now I can kinda understand why people sit at one-armed bandits feeding coins into them for hours on end while bright lights flash and loud noises play. This was an incredibly fun, incredibly easy game but I couldn't pull away from it until I'd done everything there was to do in the game :ohdear:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Testekill posted:

Why doesn't Telltale just make a TF2 game instead of a Borderlands or Minecraft game?

They don't need to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RYeKYj4vEY

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Idlin' for caaards still.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

double nine posted:

Someone give me the rundown on Styx. I heard that it's a good stealth game at the start but that later levels drop in quality?

Levels don't get worse, but you traverse all/almost all maps twice, second time in the opposite direction usually and with more/different kind of guards around. So although maps are good and big with multiple paths there's only half as many of them as there are missions.
However, it is a very good stealth game and you should have bought it at flash sale.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 19, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Installed a new SSD the other week. Can you start a Uplay download on a new drive, stop it, copy over the contents from a previous install, then restart the download and it it'll just verify everything? You know, like Steam and Origin do easily? I'm guessing the answer is a big fat 'gently caress no' cos Uplay and its terrible patching system.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Rookersh posted:

I want to pimp out something more, now that I've had more time with it.

Dungeon of the Endless stuff

I'm kinda kicking myself for not blowing some of my card money on this and Endless Space when they were on Daily Wednesday. Ah well, I'm sure they'll show up in the xmas sale sooner or later! Thanks for the impressions, helped make it a must watch for.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey that sounds like a good game.

Oh I already own it.

Oh it's already installed.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I bought AC:U through Steam, where did you buy yours?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ubisoft free games are up if you bought the AC:U season pass. Site is acu.ubi.com/Default/Welcome

I got The Crew and it was a Steam key.
so hows that boycott going

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
More friends!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/kajek1017

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Junkenstein posted:

Installed a new SSD the other week. Can you start a Uplay download on a new drive, stop it, copy over the contents from a previous install, then restart the download and it it'll just verify everything? You know, like Steam and Origin do easily? I'm guessing the answer is a big fat 'gently caress no' cos Uplay and its terrible patching system.

Pretty sure the answer is no. I haven't tried to dick around with UPlay installs for a while but unless they've fixed it up then checking drive properties on your games drive is enough for UPlay to throw its toys out of the cot and demand you re-download everything <---- mild hyperbole

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Pyromancer posted:

Levels don't get worse, but you traverse all/almost all maps twice, second time in the opposite direction usually and with more/different kind of guards around. So although maps are good and big with multiple paths there's only half as many of them as there are missions.
However, it is a very good stealth game and you should have bought it at flash sale.

It's still a daily deal for about 4 more hours

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would never hide Brink. It's there to remind me.

"Never, ever preorder a game at full price".

Why didn't Splash Damage go under for that release? I would almost never say that sort of thing, but that poo poo was unforgivable.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Having only a Mac available for gaming has made surviving these sales so much easier.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
He said, cowering before the angelic presence that appeared before him while he was going to go take a poo poo.

e: Okay clearly I meant the post with the picture in it. I just wasn't quick enough.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Well, here's a well timed release. A great indie sale recommendation:

Running With Rifles, now in final beta testing before release. Version 0.99, 33% off.

It's a great little game. It's basically Cannon Fodder + Planetside. There's a huge RTS style war going on between several AIs, and you play as a single soldier (and eventually a squad commander if you do well) in this massive meatgrinder. Playable entirely solo, but it's far cooler with others online. It's another of those quiet little indie gems with an Overwhelming Positive score on Steam.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Dominic White posted:

Well, here's a well timed release. A great indie sale recommendation:

Running With Rifles, now in final beta testing before release. Version 0.99, 33% off.

It's a great little game. It's basically Cannon Fodder + Planetside. There's a huge RTS style war going on between several AIs, and you play as a single soldier (and eventually a squad commander if you do well) in this massive meatgrinder. Playable entirely solo, but it's far cooler with others online. It's another of those quiet little indie gems with an Overwhelming Positive score on Steam.

This is a legit good game, don't let the early access label fool you here. I got 10 hours out of it easily back when it was released earlier this year and it was in good shape and totally playable then.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It's literally one update from leaving Early Access now, too. 0.99 is supposed to be the 'We've got everything in now, just need to check for any last bugs' release.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thanks to Slimy Hog for Bad Rats (:argh:) and Floridiot for State of Decay!

re: Running with Rifles

Is anyone up for a 4-pack?

e: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lordfrikk/

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 19, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dominic White posted:

It's literally one update from leaving Early Access now, too. 0.99 is supposed to be the 'We've got everything in now, just need to check for any last bugs' release.
Honestly even a few months ago it felt mostly completed.
I hope they added Vs Online. Playing on the same team is good but having the AI on Stormtrooper mode and having several players lead squads against each other sounds great.

Doorkickers worth the :10bux: ? Looks a little mobile/tablet gameish.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 19, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Thinking of picking up Defense Grid 2 while it's on sale but I have heard it's not as good as the first game is this true c/d

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Croccers posted:

I hope they added Vs Online. Playing on the same team is good but having the AI on Stormtrooper mode and having several players lead squads against each other sounds great.

I'm pretty sure that's been in for a while. You just need to start a server with the PvP flag turned on.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dominic White posted:

I'm pretty sure that's been in for a while. You just need to start a server with the PvP flag turned on.
Awesome.
Stormtrooper mode with tons of AI was just the best then trying to hold a point. Eventually one of those 30 soldiers are going to get a lucky shot.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

markgreyam posted:

He said, cowering before the angelic presence that appeared before him while he was going to go take a poo poo.

e: Okay clearly I meant the post with the picture in it. I just wasn't quick enough.

The game seems terrible from the reviews.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oblomov posted:

The game seems terrible from the reviews.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What I need to know about Running with Rifles: someone compared it to Infantry. If anyone who's played both can answer - how accurate a comparison is this?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I stumbled across one of the GIFs on the community page and my curiosity was piqued about BeamNG.drive. Is anyone here in the alpha and in a position to comment on whether it's worth keeping an eye at?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

steam keeps telling me i'm running it in compatibility mode when I am really not, I've checked several times now

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dark's actually pretty fun, it just has bad writing. An enjoyable game, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor at 25% off is a decent price for a VERY good game. Price might drop even more in the coming days, but in any case I highly recommend it. I think it might be GOTY for me. It's just an overall solid and fun experience.

Also, first post. Might as well come out and say it.

• Locked thread