Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Gimnbo posted:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1021/economic

Sort that poo poo by rank and you'll be good to go.

Oh snap, thanks! Thanks for the other suggestions too, guys; will ask around for these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Argue posted:

I'm buying my bro a Christmas gift today; he really loves board games that involve intense resource management, like Powergrid, Ticket To Ride (I think?), and a bunch of other British-made board games. He has a whole mess of them and I can't even remember them all, but could I ask you guys to throw out a couple of gift suggestions? I'll probably need more than one suggestion in case he already has some of them, or in case I can't find them in a store (Amazon would take too long to deliver to my country). I checked out boardgamegeek but as far as I could tell it doesn't really have a way of filtering down to "resource management games".

Seconding Terra Mystica - amazing game that's all about resource management/optimization

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Argue posted:

I'm buying my bro a Christmas gift today; he really loves board games that involve intense resource management, like Powergrid, Ticket To Ride (I think?), and a bunch of other British-made board games. He has a whole mess of them and I can't even remember them all, but could I ask you guys to throw out a couple of gift suggestions? I'll probably need more than one suggestion in case he already has some of them, or in case I can't find them in a store (Amazon would take too long to deliver to my country). I checked out boardgamegeek but as far as I could tell it doesn't really have a way of filtering down to "resource management games".

Arkwright. :getin:

Seriously, though - it's getting great reviews from the people who play games that long and deep, but it's not showing on the BGG radar because those people are small in number and the system weights against them. And as it came out at Essen, he's unlikely to have it.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Jedit posted:

Arkwright. :getin:

Seriously, though - it's getting great reviews from the people who play games that long and deep, but it's not showing on the BGG radar because those people are small in number and the system weights against them. And as it came out at Essen, he's unlikely to have it.

I'm pretty sure Arkwright is OOP already. And only 1000 copies were printed. Have fun.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Trynant posted:

I'm pretty sure Arkwright is OOP already. And only 1000 copies were printed. Have fun.

Yep, although maybe Stronghold will pick it up as well someday. I love my copy!!!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey, I'll be playing Cyclades and Cyclades Titan soon. Any hints/help out there?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
What's the deal with Machi Koro's expansions?
My regular crew absolutely love it and while it's kinda light for my tastes, maybe the expansions would help with that a bit?

Only apparently they're out, just not in the UK or.. Something? Or maybe it's a different, earlier edition or, what?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Edit: This is about the Harbor expansion, I'm not sure if there are any others coming along.

The expansion changes the game up. With the addition of new buildings, you also change the plateau into a deck of buildings with 10 unique buildings showing at any one time. If a copy of an existing building is dealt, you keep dealing until you get a new one. There are also 2 new landmarks which tie into some of the new buildings.

It didn't feel much more complex to me and I don't think I'd recommend it as a fix to someone who thinks the base game is too light. It simply adds some variety and new strategies, as well as forcing people to not take the same buildings every single game.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 19, 2014

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Just unpacked Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition and... holy poo poo there is so. much. stuff. As someone who's never played the game before (but I trust in vlaada), I have a limited concept of how to pack everything into the enormous box.

How have people divided the contents? I've got everything packed in but there are about ten baggies and three empty slots in the insert.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Stumiester posted:

Just unpacked Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition and... holy poo poo there is so. much. stuff. As someone who's never played the game before (but I trust in vlaada), I have a limited concept of how to pack everything into the enormous box.

How have people divided the contents? I've got everything packed in but there are about ten baggies and three empty slots in the insert.
There's a series of pictures on the CGE website/on BGG that shows you where to place what.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
My list of games I'm bringing home that I pray to God my family will enjoy at least one of:

-Coup
-Red7 (which I actually just bought and haven't played yet)
-Hanabi
-Skulls and Roses

They liked Love Letter last year so I'm really going for that "light, easy to teach card game" feel again.I desperately wanted to find Pictomania and play that but I guess it's more or less totally out of print right now. Is there a reprint coming soon? Must feed my Vlaada addiction...

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I've for Dixit for Christmas Day in the drunken, post-lunch stupor and Coup because it's small and I'm sure there will be a time.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SilverMike posted:

Edit: This is about the Harbor expansion, I'm not sure if there are any others coming along.

The expansion changes the game up. With the addition of new buildings, you also change the plateau into a deck of buildings with 10 unique buildings showing at any one time. If a copy of an existing building is dealt, you keep dealing until you get a new one. There are also 2 new landmarks which tie into some of the new buildings.

It didn't feel much more complex to me and I don't think I'd recommend it as a fix to someone who thinks the base game is too light. It simply adds some variety and new strategies, as well as forcing people to not take the same buildings every single game.

There are actually 3 new landmarks, one being a 30 cost that lengthens the end game a bit, and gives more opportunities to use those high cost landmark powers (whereas in the base game once you get that 22 card the game is basically over anyway).

But yeah, it definitely doesn't make the game any deeper. If anything it takes away any semblance of long term planning since the cards are randomized. So there is a tradeoff in variety versus stability. If you already like Machi Koro the expansion does help to push its strengths. If you find it too light or random, it won't help with that, it is still the same game at its core.

Also, the game has been out for a few years in Japan, so I believe 2 expansions are out there (or maybe the second is coming?), but only the base game has been released in the west, with the first expansion coming eventually.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Tekopo posted:

There's a series of pictures on the CGE website/on BGG that shows you where to place what.

Is there something like this for Galaxy Trucker Anniversary Edition as well? Mine is a vaguely organized mess.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Lorini posted:

Hey, I'll be playing Cyclades and Cyclades Titan soon. Any hints/help out there?

I can't speak for Titans since I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but Cyclades, much like Kemet, is over before you'd expect it to be.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I accidentally spoiled myself on one of my Christmas presents, and it looks like I'm getting Tragedy Looper.

I've already read through the rules and assume I'll be teaching/masterminding, but is there anything else I need to know before I run a session? I remember seeing some complaints that there aren't any deduction sheets in the box.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tekopo posted:

The only thing I couldn't figure out was where the enhanced tunnel tiles go. But it looks like they're just supposed to jam in with the tunnel tiles.

I REALLY like the fact that it comes with mini boxes for all the bits. More games should do that, especially when you want to be getting the bits out and having them available as a supply.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I just got Temporum in the mail, is the box insert a joke or what? So other than the board the game consists entirely of cards and some chits, and the box insert is just a giant open space for your cards to get thrown all over the place in...

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

The only thing I couldn't figure out was where the enhanced tunnel tiles go. But it looks like they're just supposed to jam in with the tunnel tiles.

http://czechgames.com/en/dungeon-lords-happy-anniversary/inside/

That puts them in with the lutes, troll tokens etc in one of the tubs.

I'm glad to see my guess at organisation basically matches their suggestions, but that one floating box is pretty hilarious.

edit: also someone has posted about this on BGG, but what's the deal with the combat board extension being printed sorta backwards? It's like the only noticeable flaw I've found so far but it looks really stupid. The -20, 50 and scoring icon are the wrong way around.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Also, the game has been out for a few years in Japan, so I believe 2 expansions are out there (or maybe the second is coming?), but only the base game has been released in the west, with the first expansion coming eventually.

Thanks for the expansion writeups.
I suppose if I care enough I can just proxy all the expansion cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Elysium posted:

I just got Temporum in the mail, is the box insert a joke or what? So other than the board the game consists entirely of cards and some chits, and the box insert is just a giant open space for your cards to get thrown all over the place in...

It's a Vaccarino game. Expect expansions.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Jedit posted:

It's a Vaccarino game. Expect expansions.

Expansions which will also be cards that get strewn about wildly in the box?

A dominion set comes with an insert that has slots and labels for each stack of cards...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

Your bro needs Agricola STAT

I leave tomorrow to visit the family and have finally settled on what games to bring with me. I have found that the Ticket to Ride box has the most empty space of all my games when the insert is removed. Inside Ticket to Ride I was able to fit (in addition to the game itself): Fluxx, Dixit, Love Letter, Coup, The Resistance, and Settlers of Catan. A pretty good mix of games for the crowd, something for all player counts. The internet up there is spotty so for myself I will be bringing Mage Knight and Robinson Crusoe; if I can get anyone to play these with me I will be quite surprised.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I accidentally spoiled myself on one of my Christmas presents, and it looks like I'm getting Tragedy Looper.

I've already read through the rules and assume I'll be teaching/masterminding, but is there anything else I need to know before I run a session? I remember seeing some complaints that there aren't any deduction sheets in the box.

There should be enough sheets with the different plots/roles/incidents and characters on them. If there isn't, they have printouts on BGG.

Beyond that, if you are Masterminding, remember that EVERYTHING you do is hemorrhaging information. Managing that is very important. Try and set up situations where multiple characters will die simultaneously, if you have a key person. Just do what you can to make what actually caused the opponents to lose ambiguous.

The other thing that will fall to you is managing the level of table talk. Whatever level is agreed upon between you and the protagonist's, you end up being the ultimate arbiter of the line. Now, I haven't had any problems with this and have seen very few as most groups who play this game will buy-in rather quickly and will self-govern. However someone in their excitement or naivete may step over the line and announce exactly what card they are playing.

If you will be introducing the game to a new group, and this is true of every game, practice teaching the rules before you go over it with the play group. The rules are not particularly difficult, but there is a lot of intimidating front-loaded information. So having a good idea of how to teach the game can really reduce a lot of confusion. The other thing to note is that the first script has a step-by-step action plan for the Mastermind. I do not recommend following it, as, at least for me it was somewhat confusing and poorly written. Just remember to have a plan to actually make the protagonists lose each loop.

Anyway, the game is great, and is one of my absolute favorites, the first day I had it, we went through the first 4 scripts that night. Also, if it is your copy, take every opportunity you get to be a protagonist, as you will forced into masterminding more and more often the longer you own the game.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Elysium posted:

Expansions which will also be cards that get strewn about wildly in the box?

A dominion set comes with an insert that has slots and labels for each stack of cards...

It is really weird. My assumption is that, after some of the backlash and demand for a storage solution for Dominion, they just decided to save the money this time and let players figure out their own storage. It would be great if they had at least put in dividers for the 4 ages and player cards, I don't really need anything for the chits.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
My #1 tip is: Resist the temptation to go for the easy wins on early loops. It's very tempting to just go "Incident A triggers, you lose" on like day 2, but that just means your easiest path to victory has already been spent as the players will now be extremely wary of letting the same conditions happen again. The first loop is when the mastermind has the most space in which to setup a complicated scenario where it's not clear what's important and what isn't. Use that space. Sow confusion. Do irrelevant things. Win as late as possible.

Pull that easy win out on the last loop and you might blindside the players entirely.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
This might be a long shot but I thought I'd ask. My girlfriend's mum is looking for something for Christmas for her son.

He's 19, a huge nerd (actually he's "that" kind of annoyingly smug, slightly condescending, Reddit-reading science student with 15 level 100 WoW characters or something) and is bright enough he can demolish those wooden puzzle games with relative ease. You know the ones, like where you have to rebuild a cube out of a selection of weirdly shaped tetrominoes. Rubiks cubes are easy for him as well. However, he also suffers from a constant headache, like if a 6/10 is a migraine he'll often have a 9/10 headache for days at a time, as such he finds it hard to concentrate on things for too long a time but a solid challenge can and does help distract him from the pain.

So, might there be a game with a solid puzzle element to it, short setup, that can be played solo as well as with others? He's easily grasped every game I've payed with him (Dominion, Catan, Pandemic: Contagion, Splendor, some others). Something currently available too.

Pandemic comes to mind, it easy enough to play the base game solo by just controlling 2 characters, but I am sure there are others.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

If it weren't for the “short setup” part, I'd just say Mage Knight, like I always do.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

COIN has short setup :v:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
If he does figure things out as quickly as you say, Pandemic might be a horrible choice because he might 'solve' it way too easily

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Just slam Navajo Wars on the table and walk away.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Forbidden Desert might work, it would play out similar to a solo-Pandemic but be less solvable. Now that I type it I sort of want to try it.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Just did a funny thing in a game of Lords of Waterdeep on iPad against the AI. Had the last worker in Waterdeep Harbor on Round 8, so the very last possible move of the game. I then proceeded to take ten moves in a row with it - first Monsters Made to Order with 5 corruption on it, then the quest that returns three workers to your pool, then Recall Agent. In the process I also played three times on the building that lets you return a corruption and play an intrigue card, and since I had Protect Converts to Elustrawhatever in effect, I was returning two corruption each of those times. And playing on my own Citadel of the Bloody Hand each time and, of course, putting the extra cubes on spaces I was then going to occupy, etc. So I got a million cubes and completed like five or six quests and returned more corruption than I had taken from Monsters Made to Order in the first place.

It's the sort of thing you only really want to do against an AI, because I can only imagine how annoyed human opponents would get watching you take ten turns in a row while they can't respond in any way and, indeed, aren't going to get another turn of their own at that point. It's not even close to the theoretical maximum, though, especially if you count moves spread across multiple rounds. With the Lieutenant, the Ambassador and the start player marker, plus everything above, plus all slots of Waterdeep Harbor occupied, plus Research Chronomancy, plus Accelerate Plans you could get close to 20...

xopods fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 19, 2014

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My #1 tip is: Resist the temptation to go for the easy wins on early loops. It's very tempting to just go "Incident A triggers, you lose" on like day 2, but that just means your easiest path to victory has already been spent as the players will now be extremely wary of letting the same conditions happen again. The first loop is when the mastermind has the most space in which to setup a complicated scenario where it's not clear what's important and what isn't. Use that space. Sow confusion. Do irrelevant things. Win as late as possible.

Pull that easy win out on the last loop and you might blindside the players entirely.

Please don't do this for a teaching game. This is FANTASTIC once everyone knows what they're doing, but do not do this against newbies. You will never play this game with them again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

OmegaGoo posted:

Please don't do this for a teaching game. This is FANTASTIC once everyone knows what they're doing, but do not do this against newbies. You will never play this game with them again.
Agreeing with this. It's pretty much true of any game.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

It's the sort of thing you only really want to do against an AI, because I can only imagine how annoyed human opponents would get watching you take ten turns in a row while they can't respond in any way and, indeed, aren't going to get another turn of their own at that point.

I really like the Agricola app for this. I very rarely play it normally against the AI (the AI is kind of OK at 2 players, but is really weak after that), and even if I do I never play fair. I just repeat the draft until I get a bonkers combo. Like, with enough cards you get so you can build rooms for 1 wood each (and then you add plasterer + animal tamer so you can have a weird clay zoo) - or you ultra-stack one space so that every time you "take a grain" it's 5 grains, 2 vegetables, a food, you plow a field and build fences.

The other thing I like doing is seeing how bad I can starve the AI's family. You can't really make it happen consistently (sometimes the AI plays conservatively), but if they get an aggressive card like "Lover" or "Wet Nurse", you can hand them all the rope they want, and then murder them by hoovering up food (even more effective if you buy out all the cooking improvements!). A bit ago, I had the Apprentice AI end the game with 24 begging cards (-72 points).

In a way it's really a dumb way to spend time, but for some reason it's super entertaining. I just wish they'd release more decks (it's just E, I, and K available at the moment).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 19, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

OmegaGoo posted:

Yeah, that's probably true. If you're playing with people new to deduction games or just want a friendler introduction, don't go balls to the wall like that. But, if the people you're with are more experienced...

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Tippis posted:

If it weren't for the “short setup” part, I'd just say Mage Knight, like I always do.

Eh, mage knight doesn't take all that long to set up. Putting it away on the other hand...

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
In the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, I encounter a villain, defeat the villain, and he runs to another location and gets shuffled in to that deck (because there was an available location). Now, in that new location deck, there's a villain and a henchman both. If I defeat the henchman and close the location, I'm supposed to discard everything in that deck, but I notice the villain card is there. Do I just keep the villain there, with the location unclosed (meaning that the location deck is just one card, the villain), or does something different happen?

Rutibex posted:

Your bro needs Agricola STAT

Agricola is the pinnacle of human achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Agricola is the pinnacle of boring achievement.

I seriously think Uwe's next game is going to be about watching paint dry.