Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Not to mention that they spent this season building up the relationship between Korra and Asami, and spent the first part of the clip show bagging on Mako for being such a lovely boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hauldren Collider posted:

Final thought: I thought Korra and Asami had a great dynamic as *friends*. The gay lovers thing reaaaalllly cheapens that. I honestly think that them just being friends is a whole lot more interesting and satisfying.

Luckily you can interpret the ending as that if you want. But its kind of a stretch to assume that friends stare into each others eyes when they teleport away to a private vacation.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Final thought: I thought Korra and Asami had a great dynamic as *friends*. The gay lovers thing reaaaalllly cheapens that. I honestly think that them just being friends is a whole lot more interesting and satisfying.

Okay dude, whatever justifications you need to come up with for yourself.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

According to my treatise on the fluidity of female sexuality (available in full on fanfiction.net) all women are just one tequila shot away from becoming full blown lesbians.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Can you explain how them being lovers 'cheapens' it? Why does them not being just friends bother you this much?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Can you explain how them being lovers 'cheapens' it? Why does them not being just friends bother you this much?

Gays are icky.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

To be honest I just think it's boring. I actually prefer watching/reading about a best-friends dynamic than a love dynamic. Love stories are a dime a dozen. The former is what it becomes if you ignore the last 30 or 40 seconds of the finale, so it's not really a big deal here.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Gays are icky.

yeah confirm I saw one once and I was just like "yuck" you know?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Gays are icky.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno I don't think LGBT romances are a dime a dozen in children's media.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Gay couples are so played out. They are everywhere in mainstream media. Boring. God, stop getting on the bandwagon.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Pandering to fangirls/boys and social justice poo poo aside, why the gently caress was that cannon even able to fire at the end of the episode? It just gained the power to draw energy from the surrounding area because reasons? That was a pretty big asspull. You visibly saw that it was hooked up to energy sources that got disabled, but suddenly it can just fire being near ~spirit energy~

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

To be honest I just think it's boring. I actually prefer watching/reading about a best-friends dynamic than a love dynamic. Love stories are a dime a dozen. The former is what it becomes if you ignore the last 30 or 40 seconds of the finale, so it's not really a big deal here.

Where on earth are you where gay couples are a dime a dozen in the mainstream media?

How on earth is having a gay couple pandering or any type of SJW thing? Like, at all?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Akumos posted:

Pandering to fangirls/boys and social justice poo poo aside, why the gently caress was that cannon even able to fire at the end of the episode? It just gained the power to draw energy from the surrounding area because reasons? That was a pretty big asspull.

I think it was slurping up all the spirit vines in the wilds or whatever.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The show started with a young Korra declaring "I'm the avatar. Deal with it!" and ended with an adult, queer Korra declaring "I'm the first gay avatar. Deal with it!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What I like about it is that it retroactively redeems all the godawful Mako romance plots because it turns out yep he was just terrible!

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

Korra and Bolin were together for like...a second in season 1 IIRC. Mako and Korra haven't been together for a while and Asami was only with Mako for like a season or so. This is really nowhere near as complex as you're making it seem dude.

Maybe I'm nuts but it seems like they're been a pretty decent amount of foreshadowing since mid season 3 for Korra and Asami.

Korra and Asami are either bi or Mako turned them gay. It's simple as hell.

This series really was tumblr incarnate, but it ended with two extremely strong seasons and the butthurt of idiot homophobes so it's all cool to me. It sucks it didn't end with a kiss, but baby steps.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 19, 2014

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

What I like about it is that it retroactively redeems all the godawful Mako romance plots because it turns out yep he was just terrible!

Eh, Mako was never really a bad guy in the show, he was pretty confused about his feelings(and apparently so were they.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Akumos posted:

Pandering to fangirls/boys and social justice poo poo aside, why the gently caress was that cannon even able to fire at the end of the episode? It just gained the power to draw energy from the surrounding area because reasons? That was a pretty big asspull. You visibly saw that it was hooked up to energy sources that got disabled, but suddenly it can just fire being near ~spirit energy~

It was tangled up in spirit vines. I mean its power source is literally just a bunch of them strapped to it so it isn't really a big stretch.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Akumos posted:

Eh, Mako was never really a bad guy in the show, he was pretty confused about his feelings(and apparently so were they.)

He wasn't bad-nasty, he was bad-incompetent.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

OldTennisCourt posted:

How on earth is having a gay couple pandering or any type of SJW thing? Like, at all?

When two characters who have expressed no romantic interest in each other for 47 episodes, and who were both in straight relationships throughout the course of the series, suddenly go gay in the 48th episode for no reason.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I have to agree that the lack of an overarching villain is my major complaint with the show. I'll agree that Vaatu wouldn't have been best, but there should have been someway to work in a threat that existed over the whole of the show.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Considering how many relationships the show spawned, like Bolin's "relationship" with that ice bitch, it's hard to say Korrasami would even work out in the end.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

When two characters who have expressed no romantic interest in each other for 47 episodes, and who were both in straight relationships throughout the course of the series, suddenly go gay in the 48th episode for no reason.

If it were sudden, or completely lacking in any interest shown before then, it wouldn't have been a debate in this thread well before the finale as it was.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The overarching villain of the show is Korra's personality flaws.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

There is literally a scene earlier this season where they compliment each other's looks and Korra glances away and blushes and it was such a blatant scene people made fun of it for bating "Korrasami shippers."

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OldTennisCourt posted:

I have to agree that the lack of an overarching villain is my major complaint with the show. I'll agree that Vaatu wouldn't have been best, but there should have been someway to work in a threat that existed over the whole of the show.

The Red Lotus crew would have been perfect for this.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

There are traces of mutual attraction through books 3 and 4.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

There is literally a scene earlier this season where they compliment each other's looks and Korra glances away and blushes and it was such a blatant scene people made fun of it for bating "Korrasami shippers."

bolin and asami confirmed

Asami has been overly friendly and hugged like everyone on the series, I'm still slightly skeptical they weren't just good friends comforting each other in a neat moment after a major conflict. Her dad literally just died. It's a very real possibility, but considering Korra was just comforting her, it's a bit reaching to declare their relationship is confirmed.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 19, 2014

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Love stories are a dime a dozen, true, but not same-sex love stories. I can understand wanting more best friends dynamics, but there's a time and a place for kicking out love dynamics and this isn't really one.

Now, if it was Mako, the "we broke up but we got back together anyway because she's Female Lead and I'm Male Lead" romance dynamic is way, way more dime a dozen. I'm glad they solidly killed that with fire.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Akumos posted:

Considering how many relationships the show spawned, like Bolin's "relationship" with that ice bitch, it's hard to say Korrasami would even work out in the end.

Yeah, totes. Toph even talks about how sometimes relationships don't quite work out. Maybe after their Spirit World expedition, Korra and Asami find that they don't quite work as a romantic couple.

But it's still rad as hell.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

If it were sudden, or completely lacking in any interest shown before then, it wouldn't have been a debate in this thread well before the finale as it was.

Was there a debate, or merely the expressed desire of people who get off to the idea of two cartoon character's loving?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

iSheep posted:

The Red Lotus crew would have been perfect for this.

I agree because team fights rule. I also like the concept of them having like agents and sympathizers like the old-school White Lotus did.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

The Bee posted:

Now, if it was Mako, the "we broke up but we got back together anyway because she's Female Lead and I'm Male Lead" romance dynamic is way, way more dime a dozen. I'm glad they solidly killed that with fire.

Yes, I am extremely grateful. I was tensing for a minute afraid that that dialogue near the end was gonna end with them hooking up again. I think that had more tension for me than the part where Mako was lighting up the spirit nuke plant thing in the mech.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

Was there a debate, or merely the expressed desire of people who get off to the idea of two cartoon character's loving?
Actually it was just a bunch of cool people going "yeah I can see this being read this way and maybe even hope something comes of it" and a handful of shitposters getting off to accusing other people of getting off to the idea of two cartoon characters loving.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yes, I am extremely grateful. I was tensing for a minute afraid that that dialogue near the end was gonna end with them hooking up again. I think that had more tension for me than the part where Mako was lighting up the spirit nuke plant thing in the mech.
It was a good bait and switch. I think most of the fanbase felt that way during that scene.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Akumos posted:

It was quite clear they both liked him alot and found him attractive, it was just written so poorly and awkwardly with Mako (and Korra) being such assholes they ditched it.

It was only this season they decided to go "gently caress it, let's try this" and it worked.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah this. I know there were teases throughout this season but they were super low-key, I know I've expressed more affection to my best friend, and both of us are totally straight.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
FYI, the part of the Avatar finale I hated most was the part where Aang kisses Katara. Annoyed the gently caress out of me. I think I may just hate love stories....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Are people actually mad at this ending?

• Locked thread