Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

uhh

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this please?

Because a relationship based around a servile woman who does anything for the man she idolizes and adores while he basically treats her like poo poo is honestly pretty creepy and weird? So her basically flipping out at him and getting him to realize that he was treating her like poo poo and needed her despite being unable to admit it made it a lot less creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

StrifeHira posted:

OK so, I dunno, as a lesbian maybe I'm a bit biased but I don't think the ending scene was really worth getting one's panties in a knot. Korra and Asami go off to the spirit world together with vague implication that their friendship might become something more romantic. It's probably as overtly gay as censorship will allow for something on Nickelodeon, but it's not like it's that distasteful as friendship or otherwise. It's also not like they showered the scene with lilies and clam shells and tacos. Come on folks.

This. I wrote it earlier - it's a nice nod to the fans and what the characters have become, but not that overblown. I could gush about the mecha fight and the 1v1 and the battle in the engineering room forever. I guess I'll never understand how scenes like that, while a nice outro, can dominate an entire thread when there's giant elemental kungfu in a town built out of explosive bricks.

It's us, we are the tumblr

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Hey guys the show's over fyi

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hahahahaha, Bolin the Echidna

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

This. I wrote it earlier - it's a nice nod to the fans and what the characters have become, but not that overblown. I could gush about the mecha fight and the 1v1 and the battle in the engineering room forever. I guess I'll never understand how scenes like that, while a nice outro, can dominate an entire thread when there's giant elemental kungfu in a town built out of explosive bricks.

We all expected magical kungfu what we didn't expect was the ending we got. Plus, regardless of why it came about, it was more important than the flashy wizzbang fights, as spectacular as they were. I would hope it leads to more shows taking chances and it would be cool if there are any more Avatar things with those characters it will be expanded upon.

Let's face it, regardless of the general response anything that talks about it will only be a good thing. More attention drawn to it will get people who were otherwise not interested in the show interested in seeing that scene.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Torquemadras posted:

I liked the part where they cribbed shots from anime like the roof skimming from Attack on Titan and the mecha staple of shooting a beam across the sky and lighting the background up in explosions. It's a kid's show though cause those little explosions should've been all hummingbirds.

Metal bending fights are still the best though but I'm kind of mad that they've only used the Azula method of flying via fire jets like what, twice in the entier series?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Eej posted:

I liked the part where they cribbed shots from anime like the roof skimming from Attack on Titan

I liked that their first idea with the hummingbirds was to try to cut into the back of the neck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

I liked the part where they cribbed shots from anime like the roof skimming from Attack on Titan and the mecha staple of shooting a beam across the sky and lighting the background up in explosions. It's a kid's show though cause those little explosions should've been all hummingbirds.

Metal bending fights are still the best though but I'm kind of mad that they've only used the Azula method of flying via fire jets like what, twice in the entier series?

Nah, Korra used it more than a few times and Iroh used it at least once.

Mako never did but see the aforementioned "Mako kinda sucks" comments.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm still curious why some people are saying this makes Korra and Asami bisexual. Just because they both dated (a) guy(s) before this doesn't mean they are still interested in them. My sister used to date guys when she was a teenager but then she realised that she wasn't interested in them and was interested in girls, she would never claim to be bisexual and I think the same holds true here for our couple of ladies.

Haha, one of my friends, who stopped watching the show the episode before the pro-bending championship, told me that she would only be interested in continuing if Korrasami was a thing. I kind of don't want to spoil it for her (although I did say that a same-sex relationship develops over the series) and I am honestly surprised that she immediately thought it would be those two since they're both chasing Mako, as far as she knows. People can definitely read things long before anything is written :v:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Eej posted:

I like that deeply satisfying sound of massive sheets of metal being violently twisted. Flying metal knives are nasty and all, but seeing steel get crumpled like paper just screams raw power! Great fun.

Also, I remember at least three instances of fire jet boots in Legend of Korra... I think they use it for wallrunning or something in S1, Korra herself does it as enraged avatar in the S3 finale, and Mako does it when boarding the Colossus.

By the way, I'm calling Kuvira's mech Colossus now because it sounds awesome and it's in the episode title. You can't stop me.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Finale was super good and entertaining.

Also, The Legend of Korra PC game is on sale on Steam for :10bux:.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
To everyone saying, "Korra and Assami never showed any interest in women up until now, it is out of nowhere blah blah blah." Guess what, sometimes you gotta go on a hell of a journey to find out who you are. My grandfather was gay and didn't embrace that part of himself until after having three kids with my grandmother. Our journey shapes us yes but does not define who we are when we reach the end. Hell, Korra's internal struggle about being poisoned, and overcoming that is a very good example of this.

Not to mention that they were pretty much building to this since they started hanging out in season three but those who are uncomfortable with homosexuality just wrote of those moments and just two friends being SUPER close. "I can't write to anyone else but you," that's the kinda thing I say to my wife. When no one else understands the person I love the most is the only one I can turn to. They didn't have more overt hint drops because I imagine Nick would have seen that and been like, "you gotta change this." If you didn't see it, you just didn't want to see it, the topic may make you uncomfortable and you may even be in denial about that discomfort. But it was far from out of nowhere and if it was to just hype LGBT then they have been building to it since season 3.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Torquemadras posted:

I like that deeply satisfying sound of massive sheets of metal being violently twisted. Flying metal knives are nasty and all, but seeing steel get crumpled like paper just screams raw power! Great fun.

Also, I remember at least three instances of fire jet boots in Legend of Korra... I think they use it for wallrunning or something in S1, Korra herself does it as enraged avatar in the S3 finale, and Mako does it when boarding the Colossus.

By the way, I'm calling Kuvira's mech Colossus now because it sounds awesome and it's in the episode title. You can't stop me.

Don't forget every time Su uses metal as both armor and a weapon but yeah, Mako being the primary firebender of the story is really lame considering he doesn't come anywhere close to the power of any of the ones from ATLA so he just kinda doesn't contribute much. I'm also kinda sad that they didn't go back to their kung fu movie roots and have an airbender palm strike a dude or a mech suit to no apparent effect and then a split second later it just flies through a few buildings.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Eej posted:

Don't forget every time Su uses metal as both armor and a weapon but yeah, Mako being the primary firebender of the story is really lame considering he doesn't come anywhere close to the power of any of the ones from ATLA so he just kinda doesn't contribute much.

I actually don't think Mako was all that underwhelming in this series - he had some pretty badass moments, like the lightning strike against Amon (regardless of how lovely that finale was otherwise), that short fight during the boat chase in S2, everything vs. the water tentacle lady and, well, the engineering room in S4. It's just that he had fuckall to do in this season, which is too bad, but maybe for the best.

And anyway, who are we comparing him to? Iroh and Ozai? Zuko was never that terribly impressive either - most of his crazy stunts actually involve just blades. I'm kind of glad the ultra-powerful benders of ATLA are mostly gone, aside from Toph's giant earthquake thing.

Who cares, this season was pretty much Korra + Bolin + Beifong clan kicking rear end everywhere, with airbenders and Mako at the sidelines. And I'm cool with that.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Zedd posted:

I thought all "relations" in TLA where goofy dorky kid ones. :v:

Right. Aang was 12, Katara was 14, Zuko was 16, during years when even being a year apart in age really matters. Aang and Katara were set up from the first moment Aang opened his eyes and I thought that was really annoying. Who falls in love forever when you're 12? But the series tried to treat it seriously at the end, and that was super annoying. I liked Korra and Asami's ending much more because it was subtle, it was a natural development of their characters, and they were both 20, so old enough to be mature but young enough to still have the world ahead of them.

Also, SERIOUSLY, what was up with that circus? It's the great unexplored backstory of the Korra world.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Torquemadras posted:

And anyway, who are we comparing him to? Iroh and Ozai? Zuko was never that terribly impressive either - most of his crazy stunts actually involve just blades. I'm kind of glad the ultra-powerful benders of ATLA are mostly gone, aside from Toph's giant earthquake thing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

To be fair that was him being on all the firebender steroids. :v:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm just here to say even though I bitched about the show relentlessly across Season four and I still think most of it is bad I loving loved the Finale. It basically made the rest of Season 4 worth watching, which was amazing because the rest of it was so monumentally lovely.

Over the course of the series Bo Lin went from a massive joke about his lack of skill as an Earthbender to literally dropping a building on someone and probably becoming the most powerful Earth bender alive, if not one of the strongest non-avatar benders ever.

Prince Wu realizes he's not fit to be a King. This kind of felt like them realizing how hosed up the lesson would be if he became King considering the rest of the stuff but even then it's good that rather then stick to their guns or w/e they went 'We shouldn't argue against Facism by putting the rightfully bloodline ruler on the throne'

Parts of it were so good I legitimately thought characters might die. The show actually sold me on the fact that Mako was dead during his noble sacrifice, which was impressive.

Korra didn't get to take the easy way out of some third party like a spirit or the weapon exploding next to Kuvira to solve her problem for her. She actively had to deal with Kuvira as a human being and a person who was doing what she thought was right.

The Kung Fu fights were good.

Varrick and Ju Lee.

Korra and Asami are totally gay and that's pretty cool.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The important question about bending is if you used that jet booster fire thing, wouldn't it burn out the bottom of your shoes?! These are the questions that matter in the long run.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

"Zhu-Li, do the thing!"
"I'm afraid there are no more things to do..."

That was pretty funny.

I liked that line, but it just didn't have the punch of "I don't think boomerang's coming back."

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Over the course of the series Bo Lin went from a massive joke about his lack of skill as an Earthbender to literally dropping a building on someone and probably becoming the most powerful Earth bender alive, if not one of the strongest non-avatar benders ever.

If I remember correctly you see the Beifong sisters in the background helping out.

My only peeve with the story (same for TLA) is that all the central characters become so ridiculously powerful. I mean I get why; it's a kid show and you need to have a reason to keep them around and not just have the Avatar solve everything so they have to somewhat scale with the baddies. I just don't like it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Namarrgon posted:

If I remember correctly you see the Beifong sisters in the background helping out.

My only peeve with the story (same for TLA) is that all the central characters become so ridiculously powerful. I mean I get why; it's a kid show and you need to have a reason to keep them around and not just have the Avatar solve everything so they have to somewhat scale with the baddies. I just don't like it.

They didn't help him at the start of the finale when he literally lifts an entire buildings worth of rubble over his head and holds it while everyone evacuates.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah over the course of the last two seasons Bolin has gotten buff as hell and it owns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bolin is fairly ridiculously strong. He can't metalbend (yet, Toph implies he could) but even if he was incredibly lovely otherwise being able to lavabend is an absurd trump card.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I gotta say, that really surprised me. From the quality to the way they ended this show, I feel like they took all of my concerns were heard and they delivered something really great.

Everyone got a good piece of the pie and the Korra and Asami dynamic was something I was waiting to happen, but kept quiet about it. Sometimes people forget that real relationships start up from a really strong friendship and develop into something more. Whether they're sexually attracted to one another isn't really something they'll delve into deeply in a kids show anyway.

The show had its fair share of problems, but it was also a fairly fun ride. I was really impressed by the finale.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

Who falls in love forever when you're 12?

To be fair, who travels across the world to stop a dictator from conquering everything when you're twelve?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Bo Lin's development has probably been my favorite over the course of LoK. He still makes lame jokes at inopportune times, but his misadventures with Varrick show that he can think his way out of some tough situations, make friendships that aren't related to being around Mako, and generally be a complete badass in a fight.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

I particularly love the way Lin bends it. Just completely raw and unrestrained.

Mako also used it against Ghazan in the final episode. The only reason I remember it is because I thought it was completely ridiculous in that fight.

And I thought that was what we were supposed to call it. If not I didn't get the memo and will be very disappointed.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Sad to hear the series is over, I watched the first two seasons on Amazon prime and actually like this series. I feel its a shame it had to be on Nickelodeon, I think if it had a backing studio that actually wanted it to succeed/ allow it to target young adults it could have been better ,but whatever its good so far. Ill probably watch the next couple of seasons on project free tv or what have you, happy to hear the series had a good ending, I dont mind spoilers that much (I am weird).

Things I really like about the series so far

Battles were really cool, they stepped up the action parts of this series alot over ATLA.
Liked the Equalists from the first season, seemed a pretty reasonable reaction to the relative power of benders vs normal people in the universe.
Liked alot of the expanded world building, this Avatar world seems alot more populated than it previously was.
In season two which I felt had alot of problems really liked the flashback episodes to the first Avatar
Weird/cool combinations of technology and bending.
The interactions of Tenzin/Siblings etc. especially in how the deal with being the children of Aang.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
I think on rewatch I'm just going to skip Season 1 and the Season 2 (up to the wan episodes because those episodes and the ones after them in Season 2 are great) Season 3 & 4 were pretty great but the series as a whole suffers from needing more episodes in every season.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I re watched the first three seasons before the season 4 premier, so I went back in with a clear idea of what to expect.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet, but I feel like bisexuality and a fluid idea of gender has been a part of the Avatar world since they introduced the past life concept in the original series. The central character is always the same person, but reincarnated into a different form. That different form can be either gender, and has had wives and husbands in the past. In a way, that's a powerful statement in itself, and the final Korra/Asami relationship complements that idea.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Torquemadras posted:

I will say this: I am absolutely amazed, in retrospect, that they managed to keep things tense and exciting throughout almost an hour of action scenes in which only one person died, and that one death was telegraphed all to hell, and yet it never felt cheap. Yeah, it's a kid's show, but they managed to keep a much better sense of scale and rising stakes than most modern action movies, without any of the bloodshed, just through good visual storytelling.

Compare it to Michael Bay movies where there are rivers of blood and dozens of robots fight and he makes it feel small and shoddy and meaningless.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
What a great show and fantastic final scene. What I think really makes it is that the Korra/Asami thing is a great way to kind of endnote everything, but it never once overtook the rest of the story or defined who the characters were. You rarely see that kind of relationship develop in a natural, thoughtful way, let alone in a children's show. It was probably one of the best realistic depictions of fluid sexuality in television I've seen yet.

Of course, that shouldn't mean the rest of the show wasn't great either. Aside from the weak Season 2, this has been, by far, one of my favorite shows of the past few years. Yeah, it's a kid's show blah blah but there's just something very thoughtful, and even romantic, about the way it told its story and was presented. It really engaged me more than than even the first Avatar series did, and I loved that to death.

I really hope the creators can move away from Nickelodeon and find a distributor that will give them more leeway on their development, because those two have a ridiculous amount of talent that feels like is being constrained a bit. I can't wait to see their next project.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I will say this: I am absolutely amazed, in retrospect, that they managed to keep things tense and exciting throughout almost an hour of action scenes in which only one person died, and that one death was telegraphed all to hell, and yet it never felt cheap. Yeah, it's a kid's show, but they managed to keep a much better sense of scale and rising stakes than most modern action movies, without any of the bloodshed, just through good visual storytelling.

Compare it to Michael Bay movies where there are rivers of blood and dozens of robots fight and he makes it feel small and shoddy and meaningless.

Korra's pretty good about killing just enough people for their death fakeouts to work. Last season, I really was convinced that Tenzin had just been beaten to death; this time, I was sure Mako was toast.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
.........Heh. This was something I posted back in the book 3 thread.

BrianWilly posted:

I think the safest (read: safest, not the most admirable or ideal) outcome, and the outcome that is most likely to occur given the circumstances, is that Bryke will make someone like Desna queer. He fits a lot of the stereotypes, but not in an overwhelmingly negative way, and is enough of a tertiary character that it wouldn't step on any toes or draw too much ire from the folks liable to be angry about this sort of things. And even then, even given all that, I wouldn't posit it as being very likely at all since this is ultimately a Nickelodeon-produced series.

To stress: I'm not saying this is the greatest thing, but it's the likeliest thing as things stand.

The next wrung up from that -- as in, something that is concurrently a better outcome but even less likely to happen -- is for them to make either Bumi or Kya gay, and use that to explain why either one of them haven't married yet. They are support characters, but important enough to be very well-developed and likable. And since they're older adult characters, their sexualities also draw less ire from ire-prone folks than the younger characters do. Sad, and strange...but true. But since they're rather important characters who have played large roles in plots, I can still see the network being incredibly reluctant to go there.

The final wrung -- the one that would affect the most progress and importance but has almost no likeliness of occurring, from my perspective -- is, of course, for any one of the four young leads to be queer. But I don't think it will happen simply because of the potential fallback. And again, I'm not saying it's a good thing that it won't happen, just that this is the situation as it stands now.
I was so young.

So naive.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Axel Serenity posted:

What a great show and fantastic final scene. What I think really makes it is that the Korra/Asami thing is a great way to kind of endnote everything, but it never once overtook the rest of the story or defined who the characters were.

This is also why I could really appreciate that last scene, even though I really didn't care for the relationship side of the show. It just fit perfectly into the story, and we weren't hit over the head with it. The story was never about that kind of thing, there was no drama due to it, it just feels natural. It's weird how this seems like an accident almost - I'm pretty sure this outcome wasn't planned way back. But it really was the best way to handle things, AND the most respectful way to boot. Hell, there's roughly triple the amount of competent, martial-artsy women in charge running around than in comparable shows, and it's no big deal in-universe. Strange how that turned out, given how clumsy this show usually was.

I can respect that, and I certainly appreciate that - but for me, the main selling point of the whole franchise will always be one thing...

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

GODDAMN MAGICAL KUNGFU, HELL YEAH :black101:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

The building was a team effort though, it was him plus all the fighters of the Beifong clan. But granted, the way the scene was framed, you get the impression that he was doing the biggest part of the work.

JT Jag posted:

Yeah over the course of the last two seasons Bolin has gotten buff as hell and it owns.
He was always "buff", his bending has gotten a lot better though.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Bo Lin's development has probably been my favorite over the course of LoK.
I still say his "arc" in Book 2 was a waste of time. But then again everything in that Book except for Korra and Tenzin's arc felt like a waste.

BrianWilly posted:

.........Heh. This was something I posted back in the book 3 thread.
Instead, Desna turned out to have been sleeping in the bathtub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
TV Club knows what's up

quote:

Endings reveal a lot about the overarching ideas of a piece, and by finishing with Korra and Asami, the writers establish that The Legend Of Korra is a story about women first and foremost. It’s a series about how women relate to each other as friends, family, and rivals in romance and politics, an idea has became especially prominent in Book Three. Before that, there was much more emphasis on Korra’s connections with the men in her life: her father-daughter dynamic with Tenzin, her romantic entanglements with Bolin and Mako, her conflicts with Aman and Unalaq. Those relationships made Korra’s experience especially relatable to the adolescent females in the audience dealing with their own father drama and boy drama and the oppressive reality of living in a male-dominated society. But then the show stopped being about that.

The amount of time spent on Jinora, Asami, and the Beifong women in Book Three shifted the focus to the female cast, and Book Four pushed the men even further into the background by spotlighting a female villain and devoting more time than ever before on the inner workings of the title character. There are multiple times in this season when all the major players on screen are women, which is a remarkable thing in any action television series, animated or not. With so much emphasis on the female characters, it makes sense that The Legend Of Korra would end the series by looking at Korra’s relationship with another woman, and just the hint of a lesbian relationship is an extremely progressive step for an animated series geared to a younger audience.

• Locked thread