Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Aces High posted:

I'm still curious why some people are saying this makes Korra and Asami bisexual. Just because they both dated (a) guy(s) before this doesn't mean they are still interested in them. My sister used to date guys when she was a teenager but then she realised that she wasn't interested in them and was interested in girls, she would never claim to be bisexual and I think the same holds true here for our couple of ladies.

Right Korra and Asami were just confused and finally made up their minds that's all.

Also, friendly reminder to everyone insisting the ending was explicitly romantic; Jet wasn't "explicitly" killed.

And then there was the matter of Sokka playing with a lei the morning after his girlfriend sneaks into his tent while he's pantsless. What I'm saying is, Bryan and Mike are no strangers to subtly implying things Nick wouldn't let them get away with.

EDIT: People seem to think I meant it sincerely. I guess I wasn't as good at sarcasm as I thought :shobon: The intent is "they can be bisexual, too". Sorry!

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

TV Club knows what's up

What is the gender ratio of this shows viewership?

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

I like it, it was a good ending. Really, this whole season has been great.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

What is the gender ratio of this shows viewership?
I'm pretty sure it's like half-and-half, maybe even a touch beyond (on the female side).

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

That's what I hoped to hear.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Kuriva was the loving bomb.

Although that whole 'muh parents' thing was a bit lovely.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Classtoise posted:

Right Korra and Asami were just confused and finally made up their minds that's all.

The amount of times I have heard the just confused thing as a bisexual woman is beyond counting and it sucks a lot.

I know that's not how you meant it but at least grant that them being bisexual instead of just "confused" is well within the bounds of probable.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Classtoise posted:

Also, friendly reminder to everyone insisting the ending was explicitly romantic; Jet wasn't "explicitly" killed.

And then there was the matter of Sokka playing with a lei the morning after his girlfriend sneaks into his tent while he's pantsless. What I'm saying is, Bryan and Mike are no strangers to subtly implying things Nick wouldn't let them get away with.

This is kind of thing is fine when you're referring to like actual people and even then it's kind of like ehhhhh but especially in media the bisexuals don't exist except when they're evil or want threesomes thing is getting tired you can say the B word.

Also this

Reene posted:

The amount of times I have heard the just confused thing as a bisexual woman is beyond counting and it sucks a lot.

I know that's not how you meant it but at least grant that them being bisexual instead of just "confused" is well within the bounds of probable.

If a had a dollar for everytime I've heard this in reference to bisexuals I'd have no student loans.

I wonder what Mike and Bryan are going to work on next? Whatever it is it should be a cartoonetwork, hulu,or Nextflix no more of this Nick nonsense they aren't interested in anything that isn't live action or TMNT and Spongebob. They turned down Adventure Time, Nick doesn't have a good record with this stuff.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 20, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There is no way in hell Mike and Bryan are ever coming back to Nickelodeon again.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
With everyone (understandably) gushing over the finale scene, I will just say the point the finale actually grabbed my undivided attention was the sweeping cannon shot that was barely deflected over Korra's head and proceeded to nuke the entire city skyline. Anyone have a gif of that?

:stare: :tviv: :stare:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Reene posted:

Actually, I meant it sarcastically, and totally agree with the sentiment that bisexuality is totally a possibility for them. Sorry if that was unclear.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Aces High posted:

I'm still curious why some people are saying this makes Korra and Asami bisexual. Just because they both dated (a) guy(s) before this doesn't mean they are still interested in them. My sister used to date guys when she was a teenager but then she realised that she wasn't interested in them and was interested in girls, she would never claim to be bisexual and I think the same holds true here for our couple of ladies.
The thing is that, unless these characters label themselves otherwise, it's simply less problematic to assume that they still like men. This holds true for real life as well. Bisexual erasure is a weird, prominent problem in media and culture, where they're labeled by both straight and gay people as "gay but wanting to pretend otherwise" or "just experimenting" and so forth, or that you're straight if currently dating the opposite gender and gay if you're dating the same gender, when absolutely none of that might be the case. It's totally likely that gay folks would date people of the opposite gender before realizing that they're gay (I mean, what, are folks gonna start off dating people of the same gender before realizing they're straight? :v:), and it's just as likely that some folks find that they're attracted to both genders regardless of whichever one they're currently dating. Without any further information about Korra and Asami right now, it's just more appropriate to assume that they're still into guys because, like, why wouldn't they be?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

With everyone (understandably) gushing over the finale scene, I will just say the point the finale actually grabbed my undivided attention was the sweeping cannon shot that was barely deflected over Korra's head and proceeded to nuke the entire city skyline. Anyone have a gif of that?

:stare: :tviv: :stare:

There was a webm of it linked to a few pages back!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Without any further information about Korra and Asami right now, it's just more appropriate to assume that they're still into guys because, like, why wouldn't they be?

Well, they did both date Mako...

Jokes aside, you're not wrong.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

The thing is that, unless these characters label themselves otherwise, it's simply less problematic to assume that they still like men. This holds true for real life as well. Bisexual erasure is a weird, prominent problem in media and culture, where they're labeled by both straight and gay people as "gay but wanting to pretend otherwise" or "just experimenting" and so forth, or that you're straight if currently dating the opposite gender and gay if you're dating the same gender, when absolutely none of that might be the case. It's totally likely that gay folks would date people of the opposite gender before realizing that they're gay (I mean, what, are folks gonna start off dating people of the same gender before realizing they're straight? :v:), and it's just as likely that some folks find that they're attracted to both genders regardless of whichever one they're currently dating. Without any further information about Korra and Asami right now, it's just more appropriate to assume that they're still into guys because, like, why wouldn't they be?

...and thats problematic!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Classtoise posted:

Actually, I meant it sarcastically, and totally agree with the sentiment that bisexuality is totally a possibility for them. Sorry if that was unclear.

Sorry, I hear it said sincerely enough that I didn't spot it :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Of course it is talked about on the couple pages I skip. After re-watching that scene, I just realized that Kuvira's platform was gyro stablized. That's a pretty sweet pick-up from an animation standpoint.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There's something absolutely beautiful about this show ending with such a quiet soundtrack and a subdued but emotionally overwhelming moment.

The Legend of Korra will never hold a place in my heart like Avatar The Last Airbender, but holy poo poo I'm so glad we got to see this show, through good times and bad.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I like that Kuriva used the meteors stolen from Xiou fu (Ziou fu? The loving metal bender flower city) for her control console things.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Korra should've walked into the portal with Kuvira and kissed her to piss everyone off imo

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol @ straight people today

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This finale was super good and I'm thrilled that Korra and Asami are gay as hell. Hooray!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

I like that Kuriva used the meteors stolen from Xiou fu (Ziou fu? The loving metal bender flower city) for her control console things.

So that's what that black liquid was! For a while, I thought Kuvira actually got her hands on some ferromagnetic liquid or whatnot.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Legend of Korra will never hold a place in my heart like Avatar The Last Airbender, but holy poo poo I'm so glad we got to see this show, through good times and bad.

Nah. I thought the ending of ATLA was disappointing, with not nearly enough magical kungfu. The ending for LoK was much better. Coupled with two very good seasons, some great character arcs for pretty much everyone (Tenzin and Lin still stand out to me, and S4 went to some pretty dark places for Korra) and a genuinely awesome mech, I rate this entire show higher than ATLA! For me, Korra ends much, much stronger, with LOTS of magical kungfu.

Magical kungfu is the measure of all things.

Everything else in the finale was also better than in ATLA

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Akumos posted:

Korra should've walked into the portal with Kuvira and kissed her to piss everyone off imo

Please, we all know Kuvira is going to share the cell next to Zaheer, he's going to whisper sweet philosophicals into her ear until they decided to break out together and form an anarchic enclave in the middle of nowhere and live off the grid.

Torquemadras posted:

Nah. I thought the ending of ATLA was disappointing, with not nearly enough magical kungfu.

They invented energy bending at the last minute and used it to end the fight with Ozai without Aang having to break his moral code about killing. It would've been nice for it to have been mentioned or referenced prior to that, because it seems like no past Avatar ever bothered with it and Aang was the first to try to do it and it worked perfectly the first time tried.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 20, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

Please, we all know Kuvira is going to share the cell next to Zaheer, he's going to whisper sweet philosophicals into her ear until they decided to break out together and form an anarchic enclave in the middle of nowhere and live off the grid.

... I actually kind of want to see this happen now.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

pentyne posted:

I honestly hope they both end up in an ice/wood prison so they can insult the others' political views until the end of time.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

No way Kuriva and Zaheer are both going to wind up both meditating into the spirit world and become the embodiment of chaos and law and fighting for all eternity.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Torquemadras posted:

Nah. I thought the ending of ATLA was disappointing, with not nearly enough magical kungfu.
..............wait.......what? :psyduck:

Is this...fakepost? I can't even tell anymore...?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Akumos posted:

Nah, Korra should've walked into the portal with her avatar state and kissed her to confuse the poo poo out of everyone. That will get people talkin' about the ending. :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BrianWilly posted:

Alright I can understand that reasoning and I'll just say that my reasoning just goes back to my personal experiences. I already mentioned my sister but another friend I have has always been gay and I asked him if her ever liked girls and he told me that he never did, he always had an attraction to boys/guys. Likewise I will admit that I am personally hesitant for using a label like bisexual because my personal experiences with people who label themselves as such aren't people interested in exploring their sexuality but are more doing it for attention.

tl;dr I personally don't like labeling Korra and Asami as bisexual characters because, to me, that feels more attention seeky than just saying "yeah, we're gay, no biggie" but if other people want to label them as such, I won't argue if they back it up

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

..............wait.......what? :psyduck:

Is this...fakepost? I can't even tell anymore...?

People aren't as big fans of the ending with the Aang fight because there was a lot of just floating around in an element ball instead of sick-rear end kung-fu poo poo.

StrifeHira posted:

Nah, Korra should've walked into the portal with her avatar state and kissed her to confuse the poo poo out of everyone. That will get people talkin' about the ending. :v:

Man, there's gonna be lots of hilarious edits to that scene to come. :allears:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Has their actually been any real backlash yet about Korra/Asami (other then from poor misguided Korra/Mako shippers)?

I know its probably just because its a bit to soon for any of the conservative media types to actually hear about it and make a fuss, but so far pretty much everything I've seen been positive, or at worst neutral.

Just wanting to believe everyone's cool now.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Clearly it should have ended with the revelation that Korra was actually Kuvira all along, Fight Club style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Has their actually been any real backlash yet about Korra/Asami (other then from poor misguided Korra/Mako shippers)?

I know its probably just because its a bit to soon for any of the conservative media types to actually hear about it and make a fuss, but so far pretty much everything I've seen been positive, or at worst neutral.

Just wanting to believe everyone's cool now.

There hasn't been any major backlash as of yet but there's been a lot of people bitching.

To be honest though the bitching seems to be "they're pandering to tumblr SJW people!!!" than people actually angry about a homosexual relationship.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The fanart this is inspiring is SO CUTE

http://cheppo.tumblr.com/post/105587767899/cheppo-i-cant-believe-this-is-how-tonights

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

People aren't as big fans of the ending with the Aang fight because there was a lot of just floating around in an element ball instead of sick-rear end kung-fu poo poo.
Yeah, it was kind of disappointing but thematically I think it worked out. It was more about Aang embracing being the Avatar and the power that it entails and less about kung-fu. Until that point he kind of feared the avatar state because he couldn't fully control it. During that whole sequence he was fully in control thus a complete Avatar. Probably why the episode is titled "Avatar Aang".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, it was kind of disappointing but thematically I think it worked out. It was more about Aang embracing being the Avatar and the power that it entails and less about kung-fu. Until that point he kind of feared the avatar state because he couldn't fully control it. During that whole sequence he was fully in control thus a complete Avatar. Probably why the episode is titled "Avatar Aang".

I want it to be clear that the Aang fight is the only part I think people are having problems with though. Like, just that part. The airships and Agni Ki? I don't think anyone has problems with those.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I thought this one was pretty good as well: http://angerofthegods.tumblr.com/post/105648710929/lilowoof-basically-how-lok-ended

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ImpAtom posted:

There hasn't been any major backlash as of yet but there's been a lot of people bitching.

To be honest though the bitching seems to be "they're pandering to tumblr SJW people!!!" than people actually angry about a homosexual relationship.
Or that it was just something pulled out of nowhere because the writers of the show want to look progressive which means they are hacks who are just following the whims of their hardcore fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is a happy day :3:

• Locked thread