Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

XboxPants posted:

"Serious fuckup", you say that as if you expect games to never break throughout the entire development process.
No, but try reading the post.
I expect games to break throughout the development process, I expect them to be loving working when a "stable" patch comes out and if enemies are not fixed and the general public has to suffer through this unkillable first boss do you really think that's gonna bode well for anyone?

Kly posted:

especially since it's about 10 months between stable updates
Not anymore after this it's gonna be thick and fast you'll see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I love things that are THICK and FAST

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vib Rib posted:

I expect games to break throughout the development process, I expect them to be loving working when a "stable" patch comes out and if enemies are not fixed and the general public has to suffer through this unkillable first boss do you really think that's gonna bode well for anyone?

What's better, a delay? Just as many people will call that a "serious gently caress-up" as would get upset out about a super-tough boss (who by all accounts here is no longer unkillable, just really tough). And that's why I said early access is awful, because there's a chance they'll have to choose between "release flawed patch" and "release delayed patch", and both choices will be wrong according to the community.

Tiyuri did say he thinks it'll get in. Do you want him to promise features to you? In early access? You really think that's what'll improve things, after everything we've seen? Game development is just way too much of a crapshoot, even for more experienced devs than Chucklefish.

They plan on fixing the NPC armor but they aren't going to promise it, because if something else more important comes up, like a really intractable hard-crash, they're going to re-allocate the time to fix that instead and they're not gonna feel bad about it and it's not something they can prevent happening with 100% certainly like you're asking for.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

EDIT: How the gently caress did I quote that what the hell is going on here

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

XboxPants posted:

What's better, a delay?
Yes.
Absolutely yes.

Absolutely, undeniably, and unequivocally, yes, a delay is better than having your first actual real stable release in 9 months be one in which the unskippable mandatory first boss is borderline unkillable because the armor system is totally fundamentally hosed.

XboxPants posted:

if something else more important comes up, like a really intractable hard-crash, they're going to re-allocate the time to fix that
I would sure hope that they would have that be fixed either way since they're calling it a stable release.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I managed to get past the dumb first dungeon btw, there's about four of those axe dudes, you hit a button on a robot and get your magic crystals, then you get FTL. After that there's no quest as far as I can see, but there are a bunch of planets I can't go on because I need upgrades that as far as I know, I can't make, because I have yet to find any titanium and I already unlocked all the techs.

Hooray for freedom I guess.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's...an unstable release though. It specifically mentions that it's unstable right there in the title. I mean yeah the whole unstable/nightly system doesn't make any sense when they're just going to throw up a random nightly as the unstable without actually making any attempt to stabilize it but this was not intended to be a stable release.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

do you think any of the folks who used to work for chucklefish mention their work on starbound to prospective employers? or do they fill in that three year gap with other little things theyve done instead?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kly posted:

do you think any of the folks who used to work for chucklefish mention their work on starbound to prospective employers? or do they fill in that three year gap with other little things theyve done instead?

"I spent X months/years on this project and here's the page showing the several million dollars in crowdfunding we got when we opened preorders" is not going to be the negative you think it is. You'd need to have some special (or fairly public) fuckups for experience to be actively held against you more than having it help you in an interview. It's not like people put out DNF or Daikatana and suddenly get blacklisted from the videogame industry. It doesn't work that way. Any employer's going to care far more about "can you do this poo poo our job requires" and less "how mad were nerds about something you previously worked on."

e: It's like when people thought Julie Uhrman's career is going to be ruined by the OUYA, when she can go to an employer after that finally dies and show them "look at this piece of poo poo I came up with and look at how many millions of dollars I got for it. Imagine what I could do for you with a product that isn't a massive pile of poo poo!"

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

they should put "inability to understand jokes" in the new DSM

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I have beat Starbound.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

IAmTheRad posted:

I have beat Starbound.

By becoming a llama-person or getting a sword that shoots other swords 2d Zelda style?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Psygnosis posted:

By becoming a llama-person or getting a sword that shoots other swords 2d Zelda style?

Both. As well, the sword does have 8 bit sounds.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

You'd need to have some special (or fairly public) fuckups for experience to be actively held against you more than having it help you in an interview.

Like getting your company banned from Reddit within 24 hours? :pgi:

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

IAmTheRad posted:

Both. As well, the sword does have 8 bit sounds.

Nice weapon mod :v: I was looking into modding because I want instruments that act as weapons. the idea is you play whatever song you've got set by holding down the mouse button. Colorful notes are shot out at the enemy and deal damage to them.
Or perhaps the opposite; a bard class-like weapon where your little notes heal yourself and allies instead.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Psygnosis posted:

Nice weapon mod :v: I was looking into modding because I want instruments that act as weapons. the idea is you play whatever song you've got set by holding down the mouse button. Colorful notes are shot out at the enemy and deal damage to them.
Or perhaps the opposite; a bard class-like weapon where your little notes heal yourself and allies instead.

Please do this and have it djfferent for each weapon tia.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm interested in a Kukri that plays some of that raw, raw, RAW dirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty South poo poo that was popular around 2001 and 2, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4X9ixEj59w

"The Royal penis is clean, your Highness"

~KIIIIIIIIIIIING poo poo~

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 21, 2014

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Psygnosis posted:

It's actually a weapon I found in a chest in unstable. I don't have any mods installed.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Not anymore after this it's gonna be thick and fast you'll see

Unkillable first boss? Do you seriously suck at this game or something? I havnt had a single problematic area up until this floren prison dungeon on a frozen world. I'm at the aegisalt/violium/something else tier. I've killed quite a few bosses with no problems. Havnt even touched a gun. Melted them all with melee.

Get better at the game before you complain about it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Havnt even touched a gun. Melted them all with melee.

:laugh:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Section Z posted:

Like getting your company banned from Reddit within 24 hours? :pgi:

no matter what happens no one will even remotely come close to matching pgi's laundry list of fuckups, which is nice because someone inevitably has to occupy that spot

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

grimcreaper posted:

Unkillable first boss? Do you seriously suck at this game or something? I havnt had a single problematic area up until this floren prison dungeon on a frozen world. I'm at the aegisalt/violium/something else tier. I've killed quite a few bosses with no problems. Havnt even touched a gun. Melted them all with melee.

Maybe you shouldn't talk poo poo when you literally don't even know what you're talking about?

The first boss in stable does not exist in the nightlies, he's talking about this

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Why would you laugh? The guns are awful. I have yet to find one thats decent. Keep finding lovely ones with super high fire rates which means they will do poo poo damage becuase of how npc armor works.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Why would you laugh? The guns are awful. I have yet to find one thats decent. Keep finding lovely ones with super high fire rates which means they will do poo poo damage becuase of how npc armor works.

How would you know that, you haven't touched a gun?!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Maybe you shouldn't talk poo poo when you literally don't even know what you're talking about?

The first boss in stable does not exist in the nightlies, he's talking about this

Im playing the current Unstable. I started last night when i got home from work, those zombies are really easy to kill with melee. Those first ones i destroyed with a 2 hander. After you get hit twice, you run around while using BANDAGES to heal. Simple strat. If you fail at that place then you suck.

I died once in there becuase i pulled a stupid and jumped off a high ledge with super low health while dodging one. Went back in and killed everything. Simple.

Edit: For Victrix: Ook, bad choice of wordage for me. What i should have said was "I havnt used a gun past the first one i got, then read what Tiy said about them and what everyone else said, realized how lovely they were unless you get a REALLY high damage slow shooting one, and have yet to find one."

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The armor bug for NPCs only seems to be an issue if you like quick attacking low damage weapons. If you prefer slower high damage weapons you probably won't even notice the bug.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

The armor bug for NPCs only seems to be an issue if you like quick attacking low damage weapons. If you prefer slower high damage weapons you probably won't even notice the bug.

Yeah, when Dongz or whoever made those videos of the nightlies things were basically unplayable, but they've been changed quite a bit for unstable and have been upgrade to merely "super hosed up but playable if you avoid certain types of weapons".

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The Mech penguin is a pretty fun fight. Pretty simple though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

The Mech penguin is a pretty fun fight. Pretty simple though.

I asked a question about combat on the ama and got a response about that boss...

xboxpants posted:

Parrying is a cool system, but only when enemies give proper warning of their attacks, or "tells". Any plans on adding more "tells" to enemy attacks?

Tiyuri posted:

We definitely need more wind up animations. Check out the penguin mech boss for where we're going with this sort of thing.

How was it, in this regard? Were its attacks more predictable than those of regular enemies? (in a good way)

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I asked a question about combat on the ama and got a response about that boss...

How was it, in this regard? Were its attacks more predictable than those of regular enemies? (in a good way)

Yeah definitely. The fight was relatively easy because of it unless you make stupid mistakes. I can live with that. Almost died with the boss at 0 bars of health because i said "gently caress it" and kept attacking when i should have been healing.

The only boss ive been annoyed with though has been the Penguin Pirate ship. It hits really hard and takes so little damage. Half its attacks dont have wind ups of any kind and its just a nuisance. If i had a good gun it probably would have been easier. But shields are the key. I suck at getting the parry, but the shield saved my rear end.

edit: The Mech fight was one of the most enjoyable because it allowed you to actually defend yourself effectively, making it a risk/reward kinda fight it you wanted to kill it fast.

2nd edit: So.. i just hit full Impervium gear. Still havnt found anything relating to ship upgrades. Also just maxed out my Matter Manipulator. ... I want my ship upgrades got damnit.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 21, 2014

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Grim Creap'd again

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

Grim Creap'd again

Glad i could be of service. Im not quite sure what i did, butt it must have been awesome!

If anyone finds out how to do ship upgrades without admin commands, please share!

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

Glad i could be of service. Im not quite sure what i did, butt it must have been awesome!

If anyone finds out how to do ship upgrades without admin commands, please share!

Unless they hosed something up in the last week, finish your outpost quests. More unlock after you've completed the last, along with a ship upgrade, and you should have them before impervium.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

A Lamer posted:

Unless they hosed something up in the last week, finish your outpost quests. More unlock after you've completed the last, along with a ship upgrade, and you should have them before impervium.

Then im pretty sure either my character got hosed up somehow or they botched something becuase i did every outpost quest.

Fak edit: Just checked my quest log. appearently i forgot to make a floran a jacket. ill check that one out and see if it leads somewhere.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

Then im pretty sure either my character got hosed up somehow or they botched something becuase i did every outpost quest.

Fak edit: Just checked my quest log. appearently i forgot to make a floran a jacket. ill check that one out and see if it leads somewhere.

Yeah, you need to do that one and any that come after. The ship upgrade quests come from the pirate stand behind the outpost. It'll have the standard quest exclamation mark.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

A Lamer posted:

Yeah, you need to do that one and any that come after. The ship upgrade quests come from the pirate stand behind the outpost. It'll have the standard quest exclamation mark.

Awesome, thanks :)

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Did I just read an honest to god git Gud post in star bound? Fuc you

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I remember watching... I think it was Ratchet and Clank? A let's play by some developers of the game itself. A sort of unofficial dev commentary. Anyway, they mentioned that when they were testing the game for balance their advice was to play it with your feet, since when you've been creating it as a full-time job you know it inside and out and are at an expert level that you shouldn't expect your players to match up to.

Might be useful advice for Chucklefish.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Playable transforming toilet with craftable shitposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

grimcreaper posted:

You fuckin suck

• Locked thread