Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
someone's probably posted it by now but http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2014/12/19/the-legend-of-korra-delivers-the-best-series-finale-of-2014/

quote:

In addition, it’s truly nice to see a show that ends by saying the most important thing to hold on to in life isn’t true love, but rather true friendship.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

i'mg oing to rewatch the whole show and see if season 1 was as bad as i remember

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The first Avatar series was sweet, because it was like the show Kung Fu, but this one was bad, because it wasn't like the show Kung Fu almost at all

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I can draw you a graph of how good a show is compared to how much it is like the show Kung Fu, and it's a perfect y=x graph

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I gotta wonder if this guy thinks Jet was still alive after Book 2 of ATLA.

quite the fucker posted:

i'mg oing to rewatch the whole show and see if season 1 was as bad as i remember
My experience is apparently unusual, but for me ATLA suffered from a rewatch and LoK benefited from one.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I can't understand anyone wanting a return to that standard when Korra's vilains were so much better. Well, except maybe Unalaq.

I just much preferred the slow burn of character development afforded to the likes of Azula and Zuko. Zaheer and Kuvira were much, much better on that score, but even they got only a fraction of the backstory and character development time.

Still, the fragmented multiplicity of villains was fun in its own way, and they got to be more ideologically nuanced than I WANT TO RULE THE WORLD!!! so I'm still pretty satisfied.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Sharmat posted:

My experience is apparently unusual, but for me ATLA suffered from a rewatch and LoK benefited from one.

Season one of AtLA is really hard to sit through in a few areas. Obviously they were still finding their stride, but I skip a good chunk of material every time. Seasons 2 & 3 are still just as good as they always were, though.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

quite the fucker posted:

No don't.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I just much preferred the slow burn of character development afforded to the likes of Azula and Zuko. Zaheer and Kuvira were much, much better on that score, but even they got only a fraction of the backstory and character development time.

Azula didn't get any real character development except for a couple of lines in "The Beach" and a really sudden breakdown in the finale. That's not a slow burn at all.

Sydin posted:

Season one of AtLA is really hard to sit through in a few areas. Obviously they were still finding their stride, but I skip a good chunk of material every time. Seasons 2 & 3 are still just as good as they always were, though.
My problems primarily come with Aang annoying me way more the second time through than the first time and that proceeded throughout the entirety of Book 3. Some of the things I didn't like about it were inevitable consequences of the format though. I mean Aang has some great character development (finally) in the first episode of Fire but then they just forget about it for the rest of the season because they have 24 episodes to fill and they just can't let the plot move that fast.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Season 1 of Korra still has the best animation style and quality out of any show around, barring some episodes of ATLA maybe. It's sad to say because it's simple to chalk it up to budget problems now, but most of the very first episode of Korra exceeded its own series finale in terms of animation style, fluidity, and expressiveness.

Truly, honestly, unironically...never forget.

And the music was peerless right from the start. The Amon/Equalist theme is still my favorite theme out of both series.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Didn't the first season have the largest budget combined with the least episodes?

I mean that poo poo was Disney feature length theatrical release quality or above.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

i'm still really pissed about the perfunctory dialog and lovely voice direction that have been there from day 1. everything else about the show is so good

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah the dialogue has pretty much always been adequate at best. Don't see the problem with the voice direction though. The voice actors do a pretty good job of selling mostly mediocre dialogue and I doubt that's despite the voice direction.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

people were talking about the end theme earlier and I gotta say I actually like sitting through the credits for Korra, whereas I could never stand the end credits for TLA. Actually I didn't mind that theme for most of Book 1 but by the time they got to the Northern Water Tribe I was kinda done with that theme, especially for the latter part of Earth and definitely for Fire.

Korra's end theme, on the other hand, was always really soothing and was always either something to reassure you at the end of :ohdear: episodes and a way to make you go :3: at the end of pretty much every other episode. I only really noticed it this season since I actually decided to listen till the end more than I had in previous times. Considering the themes explored through this season it was always good to listen to the end credits because sometimes it would make me think "it's ok, there will always be next week, just listen to the music" or like with the finale I would be like "awwwwwww this is the best way to end the series, credit line and all"

It would be grand if the series OST would get a release, but we all think that about TLA as well and, yeah :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah the dialogue has pretty much always been adequate at best. Don't see the problem with the voice direction though. The voice actors do a pretty good job of selling mostly mediocre dialogue and I doubt that's despite the voice direction.
Andrea Romano is still really good at doing her job that's for sure

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh this is the same chick that did the voice direction for Batman TAS? No wonder.

A shame even she couldn't save Starcraft 2's campaign. But there's only so much you can do with that kind of dialogue.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Just remember though that this is still most romantic cartoon ending if not show ending: http://youtu.be/6fUJ6LehQ3I

And dammit now I want an Imagawa directed OVA. Long as it fully ends unlike Giant Robo.

( I almost want to put that video in my okc profile because my success rate can't get any worse. The right people would get it I guess.)

I now need to watch Avatar as I have 3 of the 4 seasons since the price has dropped to sane levels.

Luckily I don't really have amv skills to waste time making an Avenue Q song one where Boleyn is singing how it's ok for Korra to be gay though she isn't but if she is it would be ok.

http://youtu.be/3B4zSKi3K88

(To be fair the first video would probably work too. Mako gets to be Allenby! :v )

So I guess I can start watching Avatar now, eh?

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 21, 2014

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Uh the game was very good??? And not just for a budget game, but for a game period. It's a poor Platinum game but that's not a mark against it.
It depends on the people who plays I guess. The magazine I get reviews from (this, although disclaimer, apparently none of their members had heard of LoK beforehand) called it Activision's greatest adaptation failure, a promising setting, a great studio for development duties, and yet they still managed to make a turd out of it. Particularly damning was the fact that there was no feelings to the strikes, something that Platinum normally excels at.

Timett posted:

I kept wanting to see Mako bend the lava that Bolin made.
How would he manage that?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its over :smith:.
Im genuinely a bit sad that its over. But things havr to end at some point. At least it didnt peter out and sputter like Nick probably intended it to.

But that ending tho.
I dunno what to think. On one hand they are very close but.....eh.
Im more than willing to accept it as a romantic relationship by now. Theyre pretty much perfect for each other, not due to some nebulous wanting to ship or 'emotional interaction == they in tru luv guyz #korrasami' but they complement each others personalities so well, and their actions more than support that.

As opposed to some other ships, I like that it can become an actual healthy relationship.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Given what happened I kind of wish Asami was more of a character in earlier seasons. Maybe when they do Rebuild of Korra.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Sharmat posted:

Given what happened I kind of wish Asami was more of a character in earlier seasons. Maybe when they do Rebuild of Korra.

Eh Asami was always a pretty good character. She was the only character who acted like a real person when she had the most bullshit thrown her way in the first season.

"My boyfriend is cheating on me with my friend the Avatar, my dad is working with the Equalists to take out the avatar. But I'm still going to do the right thing in both breaking up with Mako and not betraying a friend of mine."

Season 2 Asami was kinda meh though, but there was a terrible gas leak that season.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 21, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She wasn't a bad character, and I liked her most of the time she was on screen, but she feels less developed than Bolin and Mako which is weird given the role she ended up having by the end of the series.

I guess this is just preference though. I could have done with less Bolin development, but I recognize that's just totally subjective and because I don't like him very much.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Sharmat posted:

She wasn't a bad character, and I liked her most of the time she was on screen, but she feels less developed than Bolin and Mako which is weird given the role she ended up having by the end of the series.

I guess this is just preference though. I could have done with less Bolin development, but I recognize that's just totally subjective and because I don't like him very much.

Because she had less flaws that needed fixing. She was by far the most rational character in the series, Her only mistakes were working with Varrick, and getting back with Mako while Korea was dealing with Water Tribe stuff.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

Because she had less flaws that needed fixing. She was by far the most rational character in the series, Her only mistakes were working with Varrick, and getting back with Mako while Korea was dealing with Water Tribe stuff.

Good point, I suppose.

Honestly Mako was such a shithead in Book 2 that if I were a paranoid man, I'd suspect they had him do that just to poison his relationship with Asami so Korra and Asami would be free. But more likely it was just by accident.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Kazy posted:

We'll never know whether or not Su's dad was Sokka :( (Either Suki died young, or Sokka cheated on her and the reason he's not around was because Suki killed him :v:)

If anyone is a secret Sokka baby, it's Varrick.
  • Southern water tribe members with similar complexions.
  • Notable non-benders.
  • An appreciation for fine fashion.
  • Loves the theatre.
  • Brilliant inventors.
  • Flippant and sarcastic, but able to focus and be serious when needed.
  • Athletic, smart Earth Kingdom girlfriends.
All the pieces fit and you can't tell me otherwise.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Pretentiously inventing a surname and title for yourself when no one else in your culture does either of those things also seems like a total Sokka move.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Sokka dated the moon, Varrick married a woman named Moon, really makes you think...

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

X_Toad posted:

How would he manage that?

Fire bending has always been kinda dumb to me on the show. I have not actually seen The Last Airbender film but from what I understand they actually require a fire source to bend from in that film and that seems better to me. Maybe I'm just being dumb but can't we consider Lava "firey earth" and Mako should be able to bend at least the firey bits. Or by show logic he should be able to use the heat from the lava to make his bending stronger or something.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Although trying to connect logic to Magic kung-fu is kinda useless on it's own I think the rules as we know them from TLA/LOK would mean Mako would be able to extract the heat from the lava or maybe even amplify it but he can't do anything to the material itself.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

(you guys are lucky I don't know how to make videos)

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Ambivalent posted:

Sokka dated the moon, Varrick married a woman named Moon, really makes you think...

Are you saying Sokka hosed the moon?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Honestly Varrick being Sokka's kid is the most plausible Sokka's Kid story I've ever heard.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Varrick doesn't look old enough to be Sokka's kid.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mraagvpeine posted:

Varrick doesn't look old enough to be Sokka's kid.

Secret kid, from his later, purely bachelor days.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Writh posted:

To everyone saying, "Korra and Assami never showed any interest in women up until now, it is out of nowhere blah blah blah." Guess what, sometimes you gotta go on a hell of a journey to find out who you are. My grandfather was gay and didn't embrace that part of himself until after having three kids with my grandmother. Our journey shapes us yes but does not define who we are when we reach the end. Hell, Korra's internal struggle about being poisoned, and overcoming that is a very good example of this.

Not to mention that they were pretty much building to this since they started hanging out in season three but those who are uncomfortable with homosexuality just wrote of those moments and just two friends being SUPER close. "I can't write to anyone else but you," that's the kinda thing I say to my wife. When no one else understands the person I love the most is the only one I can turn to. They didn't have more overt hint drops because I imagine Nick would have seen that and been like, "you gotta change this." If you didn't see it, you just didn't want to see it, the topic may make you uncomfortable and you may even be in denial about that discomfort. But it was far from out of nowhere and if it was to just hype LGBT then they have been building to it since season 3.

All the haters need to read this post again. This is exactly right; In season 3 it could have gone either way, but all through season 4 it was getting more and more obvious. If the international market wasn't a concern they probably would have been just as blatant as the hetero romances were all along.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't think being uncomfortable with homosexuality has anything to do with assuming two women can be friends without secretly wanting to scissor.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

I don't think being uncomfortable with homosexuality has anything to do with assuming two women can be friends without secretly wanting to scissor.

I give my friends longing looking into their eyes while clasping hands all the time, just being a bro, yo.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I give my friends longing looking into their eyes while clasping hands all the time, just being a bro, yo.

Are you a woman?

edit: oh, and by woman I mean someone who was born and grew up as a person of the female sex, and remains so today.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 21, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm a bisexual woman and I can't say that I do. :shrug:

Just binged through the entire season and I think it was well done. Season three was more cohesive but I'm happy with how this turned out. Whoever said ATLA was about a person becoming the avatar whereas Korra was about the avatar becoming a person was spot on. Maybe ten years in the future we'll get our sand ending earth avatar. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Nah, lavabending terrorist Avatar.

• Locked thread