Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Zeniel posted:

The firewine ruins is the most baffling place to me. It's a giant maze inside of a bridge? That also has an Egyptian tomb aesthetic? And there's next to no reward for going in there? There's a good bit of Baldurs Gate that really feels half finished, or feels as though the developers builts the areas first and then mashed a narrative into them second.
I think the point of going through it was to get to the Ogre Magus. All the kobolds in there are his minions. However presumably they realized how tedious it was and included the shortcut straight to him through the evil halfling's house.

rope kid posted:

I can't remember exactly, but I think he was going to have Maiden Ilmadia and the fire giants ride them somewhere and burst out + murder everyone.
Indeed. If you ask her about it, Maiden Ilmadia tells you her plan about breaking the wall in the cavern with the magma lake and having it all pour into a nearby drow city with the fire giants riding into the iron boat on the magma flow to go in and exterminate all of the drow. That was because Poquelin expected the drow to betray him and attack his rear the moment his armies set out to conquer Icewind Dale.

Skwirl posted:

Edwin's not that Evil he's just a selfish rear end in a top hat.
Edwin is Lawful Evil. Meaning he'll whine if you do good deeds and eventually bail on you. Also he gets into fights with Good NPCs. I wouldn't advise having him in a good party. And if you have a low charisma and tell Firkraag that you ant to fight him, Edwin will abandon you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

netcat posted:

He's actually just a fighter but some mod makes him a fighter/mage

That's odd. This is a fresh BGEE install from steam. Nothing should be there.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I am playing BGEE and I just got to Baldur's Gate. I caught some flack for having an evil character (Dorn) in my party so I want to replace him. Should I just kick him to the curb and try to go find Minsc, then try to level him up a bit? Without Dorn, my party is charname Ranger, DJ Khalid feat. Jaheira, Xan, and Imoen.

Is there a good way to go about swapping a party member out? I've pretty much stuck with my original crew and I'm thinking I probably waited way too long to get rid of Dorn since my party is all good.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 20, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hughlander posted:

That's odd. This is a fresh BGEE install from steam. Nothing should be there.

If you didn't delete the folder completely last time you uninstalled, there might have been stuff left over in the Override folder, that's where mods install their stuff usually.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gooch181 posted:

I am playing BGEE and I just got to Baldur's Gate. I caught some flack for having an evil character (Dorn) in my party so I want to replace him. Should I just kick him to the curb and try to go find Minsc, then try to level him up a bit? Without Dorn, my party is charname Ranger, DJ Khalid feat. Jaheira, Xan, and Imoen.

Is there a good way to go about swapping a party member out? I've pretty much stuck with my original crew and I'm thinking I probably waited way too long to get rid of Dorn since my party is all good.

If you pick up Minsc you'll need to also grab Dyneihner or however it's spelled. I'd grab Coran or Ajantis instead if you want a fighter type.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Factor_VIII posted:

I think the point of going through it was to get to the Ogre Magus. All the kobolds in there are his minions. However presumably they realized how tedious it was and included the shortcut straight to him through the evil halfling's house.

That's most certainly the point of going in there and I knew about the short cuts, but the reward for completing that quest is the princely sum of 250 gold. No experience except whatever piddling amount you get off of killing the Ogre Mage, his flunkys and whatever the ghosts give you. I guess the scroll of Cloudkill that ogre and friends has on him is supposed to be the main reward maybe?

There's just so little there. I don't even mind the fact that its a cramped series of corridors because it forces you to readjust your tactics accordingly its just a strange out of the way place that loads of people in the game talk about, telling you to stay away and all the adventurers that died looking for wealth in there. You'd think there would be more to it.

Actually what's with the ruins near the bandit camp too? Faerun seems to be packed with vague nondescript ruins.

Factor_VIII posted:

Indeed. If you ask her about it, Maiden Ilmadia tells you her plan about breaking the wall in the cavern with the magma lake and having it all pour into a nearby drow city with the fire giants riding into the iron boat on the magma flow to go in and exterminate all of the drow. That was because Poquelin expected the drow to betray him and attack his rear the moment his armies set out to conquer Icewind Dale..

Ah I never realized you could talk to Ilmadia, I just got dog piled by fire giants by the map entrance and she just jumped in at some point without any fan fare.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

netcat posted:

He's actually just a fighter but some mod makes him a fighter/mage

When the Ironmad thread gets posted, I hope it adds a list of suggested mods to run.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Skwirl posted:

If you didn't delete the folder completely last time you uninstalled, there might have been stuff left over in the Override folder, that's where mods install their stuff usually.

Nope. First time on OSX. Didn't even know it was Steamplay until yesterday. Will check that steam didn't install something from Steam workshop. I cod see that because 2 years ago I installed a mod via workshop it's now autoinstalled on new machines.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Comstar posted:

When the Ironmad thread gets posted, I hope it adds a list of suggested mods to run.

Imoen romance.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

cheesetriangles posted:

Imoen romance.

You're a monster.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Have a Saerilith endurance run. Try to obtain the title of the god of murder without committing justifiable homicide.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

Zeniel posted:

Have a Saerilith endurance run. Try to obtain the title of the god of murder make any recognizable progress without committing justifiable homicide suicide.

FTFY

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Has anyone tried BG2 since the patch? I just loaded it up to try out the new pathfinding and it seems... Better? A little. Still get that thing where one person will wander off into the corner because of a jam at a doorway, except now they'll turn around and go the right way once the path is clear. You'll also still get your party splitting up if there are two fairly equivalent paths.

Those are my impressions after like 2 minutes of testing it, has anyone played more with it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Comstar posted:

cheesetriangles posted:

Imoen romance.

Zeniel posted:

Have a Saerilith endurance run. Try to obtain the title of the god of murder without committing justifiable homicide.

Stop trolling him. Just use Big World Mod and say yes to every single option.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Nope. First time on OSX. Didn't even know it was Steamplay until yesterday. Will check that steam didn't install something from Steam workshop. I cod see that because 2 years ago I installed a mod via workshop it's now autoinstalled on new machines.

Yeah, that's really weird, I know for a fact he wasn't a fighter/mage at release, and he shouldn't be one in base BG:EE. Have you literally installed no mods? because I think it's an option in a couple different ones, including the tweak pack and maybe SCS.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah he definitely shouldn't be a Fighter/Mage. I just finished a game with Khalid as one of my main tanks and he was nothing but fighter. Even did a double check just to make sure there was a sneaky patch or something and nope still a fighter. Then I murdered everyone in the Friendly Arm Inn and K&J got all uppity and left and I got ganked by the local militia.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Skwirl posted:

Stop trolling him. Just use Big World Mod and say yes to every single option.

Does it work with the Enhanced Editions of BG 1 and 2?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Make Khalid a Fighter/Mage is one of the components of BG2 Tweaks that can affect BG:EE, so it's probably that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comstar posted:

No. Just look at the Big World Project LP.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Comstar posted:

Just use the fixpack and the tweakpack, there are no other recommended mods, everything else is very much "your mileage may vary."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ilyich posted:

Make Khalid a Fighter/Mage is one of the components of BG2 Tweaks that can affect BG:EE, so it's probably that.

First install on OS X never had bg2 on it. Override folder had one 2k file in it but Google turned up nothing on its name. Windows is mounted as boot camp but can't believe it's search for a windows steam install.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Skwirl posted:

Just use the fixpack and the tweakpack, there are no other recommended mods, everything else is very much "your mileage may vary."

I'm not sure you can install the fixpack on the Enhanced Edition games, and if you can it will probably break things. The EE versions contain most, if not all, of the fixes in the fixpack. The tweakpack is all that's needed.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

fong posted:

Has anyone tried BG2 since the patch? I just loaded it up to try out the new pathfinding and it seems... Better? A little. Still get that thing where one person will wander off into the corner because of a jam at a doorway, except now they'll turn around and go the right way once the path is clear. You'll also still get your party splitting up if there are two fairly equivalent paths.

Those are my impressions after like 2 minutes of testing it, has anyone played more with it?

Same for me. I haven't had anyone get stuck, but the party still splits onto different paths constantly.

Lots of other nice fixes, though. My favorite is the most boring.. resizable fonts.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Got BG:EE for a Christmas gift...played BG and BG2 for years, always as a good character...

Dorn
Monty
Xzar
Edwin
Viconia

What would be the best class/multi-class to make my PC?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Got BG:EE for a Christmas gift...played BG and BG2 for years, always as a good character...

Dorn
Monty
Xzar
Edwin
Viconia

You've got 2 mages, a thief and a cleric, so probably some fighter type. If you've installed the tweak that let's druids only be half evil, I'd go with a neutral evil fighter/druid, otherwise a berserker or barbarian.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Dorn
Monty
Xzar
Edwin
Viconia

Tank or DPS. My favorite types are usually ranger based (Archer, Cleric/Ranger) so maybe go with Fighter/Mage, or Fighter/Illusionist(Gnome only) or if wanting to be really odd try a dwarven defender. I had a lot of fun with F/I in the last year (And C/R too but can't due to evil.) If you go F/I make sure to go Chaotic Evil for the best familiar in the game and free mid-game robes of evil-archmagi from killing the Drow Sorcerer.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Fighter/Mage - dual class or multi class?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Dorn
Monty
Xzar
Edwin
Viconia

CobiWann posted:

Fighter/Mage - dual class or multi class?

I like multi class where the spells are just buff debuff before wading in with 2 weapon style.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
dual if you want more power by endgame, multi if you want to play a fighter / mage the whole game. imo multi classes are overall more fun.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What was the decision on Iron Man? Are we waiting for a new thread after Christmas, or getting stuck in now? I've got the itch, and I'm not talking about Summon Insects.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

sebzilla posted:

What was the decision on Iron Man? Are we waiting for a new thread after Christmas, or getting stuck in now? I've got the itch, and I'm not talking about Summon Insects.

I started mine taking notes and screenshots. Dragon disciple with party members I nice take.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

sebzilla posted:

There were just enough people who wanted a bit of a delay that I'll start the official thread sometime around the first weekend of 2015. (Also I realised that I wanted to do a wipe and reinstall myself to join in and I'm away from my discs for the holidays.) In the meantime, people who've got stuff ready for when it does go up would be great, to give it a bit of initial momentum. So doing like Hughlander and starting on your character/notes for first update/first few updates right now would be cool.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Every day I hope the thread gets posted so I can get started. If the thread doesn't go up if we could at least agree on some rules ahead of time would be nice.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Knowing some of the rules in advance would be great. When the last thread started I was starting my first full BG playthrough ever, so I did a BG2-ToB solo wizard slayer instead.

This time I will try the full trilogy run, is BG2:EE bug-free enough to try an ironman game?

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Knowing some of the rules in advance would be great. When the last thread started I was starting my first full BG playthrough ever, so I did a BG2-ToB solo wizard slayer instead.

This time I will try the full trilogy run, is BG2:EE bug-free enough to try an ironman game?

It was when I did it. I kind of stopped playing during ToB, but that was because the thread died.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Every time you die and reload you have to say "I survived with 1 hitpoint!"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
OK to revive party members if they die? No reload at all or just no reload for dying?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
You can reload if you run into a game stopping bug, but that's it. If Edwin gets gibbed he stays in pieces. You can, however, use any revival available in the game like raise dead or resurrection.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
If you've got archives, I'll be stealing 90% of the OP from the last thread, which in turn stole its OP from the thread before and so on. It's a fine tradition that I'm proud to carry on. :effort:

For the basic rules, it's what you'd expect:
No reloads except for picking back up exactly where you left off, or for bugs and crashes. You die, you're out. You get an unfavourable outcome from a fight, like a party member being chunked, live with it.
Start in whatever BG game you want, with whatever version you want, on whatever difficulty you want. Hell, we'll probably take any of the other IE games too.
Mods are welcome. If they make you OP, try to make it look hilarious instead of boring. If you don't want to mod, that's fine too.
We aren't going to check you. There are no rewards except nerd cred.
Write your updates basically however you want. Screenshots and descriptions of the highlights are cool. Narrative is cool. Videos are cool. A checklist of poo poo you did this session is cool. We'd like you to try to make it entertaining, but that's not exactly enforceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The spirit of ironman is "no reloads". In addition to the obvious "if you get a game over you don't reload and try that fight again", it also encompasses things like " don't save-scum when turning in quests so that you get the best reward ", and "if you attacked the wrong NPC and now Gorion is hostile, too bad".

Everything else is basically up to you. It's all about having fun, not about e-honor or anything. Some people resurrect dead party members, while others leave them dead and find some other way to carry on.