Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Saying the boss is basically unkillable is a bit of an exaggeration, but it is tuned really high. The upper tiers of players won't have a huge problem with him because his AI is stupid, but his health + damage values will roll someone who hasn't achieved that level of mastery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
look you just don't have the skills required to beat the first boss.

:darksouls:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Looking forward to the Starbound e-sport league in 2036

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think the game could have a big esports following before it's even released.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

Looking forward to the Starbound e-sport league in 2036

By then it'll be a MOBA right when the MOBA craze is dying.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

You fuckin suck

but i love you the same way i love Starbound D: I want to Starpound your Starinbound.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Awesome work poo dude!

Based on what youve seen, is it gonna take a lot of work to get mods up and running again?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thanks!

I don't think it will be necessarily difficult for mods to get back in shape, but it will be tedious and time-consuming. The only difficulty lies in making sense of the changes to the scripting/programming language we've been using, after that's it just going through and updating anything that needs updating (pretty much all of it) to match the current standard. Race mods are in a weird place right now, because we kind of rely on the work of people who made expansions, small mods that actually let our races show up in the race selection screen and be selectable as a player's race, and the people who made the expansion mods are either MIA for the moment or they're being held back by the new code changes.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Im sure some of those modders will come back pretty soon. Kinda surprises me that the functionality for extra races wasnt baked into the standard ui already. But CF is busy working on things, so it may happen eventually.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah probably. Right now I'm just working on sprite stuff, I'm not even going to touch the code until I'm able to actually test it.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

grimcreaper posted:

Im sure some of those modders will come back pretty soon. Kinda surprises me that the functionality for extra races wasnt baked into the standard ui already. But CF is busy working on things, so it may happen eventually.

Your posts are the huge log coming out of my rear end as I type this

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Your posts are the huge log coming out of my rear end as I type this

Well, atleast they are huge logs coming out of something. Could be far worse, like liquid spraying everywhere but the toilet in a massive attempt to seriously piss off a team of janitors or something.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

It stinks and I vomited on the floor. Mlyp

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
grim creapy

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
idgi

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Having the statue holding onto the ships rhinosaurus beetle horn was a great decision.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

tiy on reddit posted:

Problem: Mining can be a little tedious right now
Solution: Whilst the mining speed isn't going to be massively sped up,

noooooo

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
You gonna link his post or are we supposed to find the rest ourselves?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
It's a plot to send us to reddit

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Jackard posted:

You gonna link his post or are we supposed to find the rest ourselves?

I don't really use Reddit because it's reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/2pupee/so_i_was_asked_to_answer_questions_when_the/

From this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/2pupee/so_i_was_asked_to_answer_questions_when_the/cn073b3

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Oh god

The context posted:

Whilst the mining speed isn't going to be massively sped up, the chance of you finding interesting and varied dungeons, monsters, unique biomes, encounters and so on underground is going to massively increase. Many of these encounters will reward you with additional materials and ores so you'll be forced to mine far less. Once we've created a greater number of these encounters we can raise the chance of you finding them.
"we won't speed up mining, but we will be increasing the annoyances you'll run into while mining"

Why not both?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Jackard posted:

Oh god

"we won't speed up mining, but we will be increasing the annoyances you'll run into while mining"

I dunno man, I've seen a lot of people asking for things like the Jungle from Terraria. The underground in Starbound is super empty right now, it needs poo poo like that.

Jackard posted:

Why not both?

The world may never know.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

XboxPants posted:

The underground in Starbound is super empty right now, it needs poo poo like that.
An unrelated problem!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Jackard posted:

An unrelated problem!

Wait, so is the emptiness good or bad? First you said that if they add anything it'd be annoying, now you're saying that it's a problem that they haven't added anything.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

XboxPants posted:

The underground in Starbound is super empty right now, it needs poo poo like that.

More stuff is good, yes!
But why the gently caress is the mining speed so loving tediously slooow? There's no good reason I can think of for it. It's not 'balance' it's just boring.
And I'm sure it'd be trivial to just double the mining speed of every digging tool in the game, just saying 'Mods will fix it' shouldn't be an excuse.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

More stuff is good, yes!
But why the gently caress is the mining speed so loving tediously slooow? There's no good reason I can think of for it. It's not 'balance' it's just boring.
And I'm sure it'd be trivial to just double the mining speed of every digging tool in the game, just saying 'Mods will fix it' shouldn't be an excuse.

They actually did. If you think they didn't make mining faster then you're just bitching without having played the unstable yet. Ore generation got buffed to poo poo and mining speed is about double even without any upgrades.

And yeah, sorry, first boss isn't hard. You literally don't even have to fight the guy if you don't want to. If you just run away the literal only path you can take will take you past 3 human npcs who will kill him for you as you run around in a big circle, and if you couldn't figure it out you're a big dumb baby.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Bauxite posted:

They actually did. If you think they didn't make mining faster then you're just bitching without having played the unstable yet. Ore generation got buffed to poo poo and mining speed is about double even without any upgrades.

And yeah, sorry, first boss isn't hard. You literally don't even have to fight the guy if you don't want to. If you just run away the literal only path you can take will take you past 3 human npcs who will kill him for you as you run around in a big circle, and if you couldn't figure it out you're a big dumb baby.

That's :darksouls:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Wait, so is the emptiness good or bad? First you said that if they add anything it'd be annoying, now you're saying that it's a problem that they haven't added anything.
I loathe digging in these games so adding more stuff works for me. Looks like I'll still be digging though.

Bauxite posted:

Are you referring to the same moonbase from the earlier video? And "getting NPCs to kill it for you" hardly sounds exciting.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 21, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Things that are apparently easy: enemies who literally one hit you

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Bauxite posted:

You literally don't even have to fight the guy if you don't want to. If you just run away the literal only path you can take will take you past 3 human npcs who will kill him for you as you run around in a big circle...

sounds fun

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Jackard posted:

I loathe digging in these games so adding more stuff works for me.

Are you referring to the same moonbase from the earlier video? "Getting NPCs to kill it for you" hardly sounds exciting.

No, he's not, because that's from an outdated build that no longer reflects that encounter. Feel free to go check it yourself. Updates come thick and fast, you can't assume a video from a week ago shows the current state of the game.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Bauxite posted:

:nallears:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
On the other hand of that same note, telling me I'm poo poo for not being able to beat something when the version I was playing it on is one where it's completely broken doesn't really make sense.
By the way, no, the NPCs could not kill him for me on that update, because their guns were also not doing anywhere near enough damage I think once there was a dude with a rifle who actually could do damage at all but shotty/assault rifle guys couldn't hurt him through the bugged armor.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 21, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

XboxPants posted:

No, he's not, because that's from an outdated build that no longer reflects that encounter. Feel free to go check it yourself. Updates come thick and fast, you can't assume a video from a week ago shows the current state of the game.
Ain't got time for that poo poo! Send another canary into the coal mine.

quote:

Updates come thick and fast,
:q:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Whats this game about

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Eonwe posted:

Whats this game about

watching NPCs fight for you

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

XboxPants posted:

People like the Jungle in Terraria because it's fun and interesting but it'd be a pain in the dick to mine in. It's almost like the underground should be varied not only in the setpieces that you can encounter but also in how many setpieces there should be in any given area, and that the game should do you the favor of indicating where you're more likely to find weird poo poo and where you can just mine to your heart's content.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Kly posted:

watching NPCs fight for you
didn't know this game was about being chucklefish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Adding more stuff to the underground is a good idea.
But so is speeding up mining. Good thing you can do both. Bad thing they won't.

• Locked thread