Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Are you a woman?

edit: oh, and by woman I mean someone who was born and grew up as a person of the female sex, and remains so today.
Gosh, what a lovely post.

Are you?

A lot of guys explaining to me how women do with their friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I give my friends longing looking into their eyes while clasping hands all the time, just being a bro, yo.

I've seen friends sitting on each other's lap, hugging and kissing each other on the cheek (been kissed by friends myself), giving compliments to each other and so on. The fact that I normally am not touchy-feely does not mean that looking each other in the eyes should somehow be perceived as a definitive sign of romantic feelings.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Irish Joe posted:

Are you a woman?

edit: oh, and by woman I mean someone who was born and grew up as a person of the female sex, and remains so today.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Or have this thread survive for long.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
How about we just accept that the ending was meant to be ambiguous and not turn this into what constitutes as romance and what doesn't?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Timett posted:

Fire bending has always been kinda dumb to me on the show. I have not actually seen The Last Airbender film but from what I understand they actually require a fire source to bend from in that film and that seems better to me. Maybe I'm just being dumb but can't we consider Lava "firey earth" and Mako should be able to bend at least the firey bits. Or by show logic he should be able to use the heat from the lava to make his bending stronger or something.

In Chinese medicine "heat" is one of the elements of a body that can be out of balance and lead to health problems and, more importantly, in kung fu styles that feature an internal element, energy being directed around the body is often described as "heat". One of the most important things in managing this energy (or chi) is proper breathing which is also what Iroh says is the most important thing to master for firebending. In essence, firebending is transforming internal heat into external heat as a weapon and this makes it the most "realistic" (using that term loosely here) type of bending alongside airbending.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I honestly think that Korra is gay and not bisexual. She was just good friends with Mako. I kiss friends and go on dates with them all the time. All those people with a hetero frtish are delusional.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ApeHawk posted:

How about we just accept that the ending was meant to be ambiguous and not turn this into what constitutes as romance and what doesn't?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This is all clouding the most important part of the episode, which is -- Guys, did you see that takedown that Korra did on Kuvira in the mecha command bridge? Like there wasn't any bending involved at all, Korra straight up leapt-up and grabbed Kuvira by the shoulders with her legs. That was some crazy BJJ poo poo right there, it was awesome!!!

Like, dudes, I am beside myself with how awesome some of the fight choreography in this show was. On that point, I feel, it's head and shoulders above ATLA. Fitting to a more urban, more realistic, mature setting, they mix up some of the magical kung fu with actual real-life contact martial arts, and it looks fantastic! Like, do you remember the big fight scene with Korra and Mako against the Chi Blockers in season 1? The way that one Chi Blocker hooked Korra's leg, that was such a neat move!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 21, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrSunshine posted:

This is all clouding the most important part of the episode, which is -- Guys, did you see that takedown that Korra did on Kuvira in the mecha command bridge? Like there wasn't any bending involved at all, Korra straight up leapt-up and grabbed Kuvira by the shoulders with her legs. That was some crazy BJJ poo poo right there, it was awesome!!!

Between that and the Mako & Bolin fights the Avatar finale was looking like a magical MMA match.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Sharmat posted:

I was shocked to discover that Azula was supposed to be younger than Zuko. I always thought she was like 18.

I don't think Azula would have been normal even without Ozai and her upbringing though. She just likes hurting things too much. She might have been better than she turned out, but still.

In any other environment her violent, antisocial tendencies would have been discouraged by everyone around her. As is, it was just her mother (Who disappeared when she was young) and brother (Who she was encouraged to disrespect). Everyone else involved in her upbringing hypocritically both encouraged and distrusted her. She craved love, and had no idea how to be loved because her childhood taught her that being a prodigy equaled being a loved and respected person.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

nutranurse posted:

Between that and the Mako & Bolin fights the Avatar finale was looking like a magical MMA match.
Except less rolling around shirtless on the canvas.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was never super into the concept when it was first brought up in the thread, but now that the series is over, the more I think about it the more I really do kinda wanna see future cyberpunk Avatar. A lot of LoK was showing how bending dealt and intersected with "modern" things like cars and planes and skyscrapers and giant robots, y'know, things that we have in the real world. But I'd love to see that taken even further, like, "Can airbenders dodge lasers" further.

I do think a whole other series might be pushing it, though, both in terms of content and, y'know, resources. Maybe just do a movie, like Bryke was talking about at some point, or a true contained miniseries with three or four hours' worth of content.

Chaltab posted:

Except less rolling around shirtless on the canvas.
Pfft I wish.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Kazy posted:

We'll never know whether or not Su's dad was Sokka :( (Either Suki died young, or Sokka cheated on her and the reason he's not around was because Suki killed him :v:)

Suyin's dad is totally this guy from the comics.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

BrianWilly posted:

But I'd love to see that taken even further, like, "Can airbenders dodge lasers" further.

I think you already have an answer for that...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Couldn't an airbender simply superheat the air or kick up enough dust to deflect/dissipate the laser?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

How many lightning benders are needed to power the city? We saw Mako working at a power plant in book 1, but if everyone is evacuated during the robot death battle, how is there power? Also, how are the suits powered?

How many licks does it take to get to the Rava center of an Avatar?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

T-man posted:

How many licks does it take to get to the Rava center of an Avatar?

THERE'S A JOKE I COULD BE MAKING BUT I WON'T

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Couldn't an airbender simply superheat the air or kick up enough dust to deflect/dissipate the laser?

That raises a shitload of questions and also enables some really dumb things

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Also, it's not a laser, it's a seaser, if anything, being powered by spirit energy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Just as Waterbenders are able to change the state of water, and Earthbenders are able to change the state of rocks, doesn't it follow that Airbenders should be able to change the state of air particles? Could an airbender, theoretically, freeze or liquefy the air? Perhaps a sufficiently talented firebender could create plasma.

I bet there's hundreds of bender-scientists in Korra's time working on these types of questions, just as there were hundreds of scientists in our 1930's working on Quantum physics. :)

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
When Mako was in the spirit vine reactor, I was just really reminded of Iroh talking to Zuko about how lightning bending could be really dangerous. It was nice to see that come back into play.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

demota posted:

When Mako was in the spirit vine reactor, I was just really reminded of Iroh talking to Zuko about how lightning bending could be really dangerous. It was nice to see that come back into play.
I really liked that he actually used the TLA forms and motions to summon lightning there.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
lol if you think Bolin was actually crushing on Korra in S1 and didn't just admire her probending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

lol if you think Bolin was actually crushing on Korra in S1 and didn't just admire her probending.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
So I've been thinking. The Republic City vines are clearly extensions of/caused by Vaatu: they have his dubstep lasers and everything. However, the spirit vines from the Swamp appear to be interchangeable, as they have the same appearance and purple dubstep lasers an everything, the Republic City vines reacted to their power in the finale, and the interaction of Raava's light and the swamp vines' dark created the spirit portal. AFAIK the only spirit who has actually created vines is Vaatu himself. Does this mean that at some point, maybe before Wan's time when the two great spirits were connected, Vaatu created the Swamp? It does have spiritual capabilities we haven't seen at any other area in the Avatar world.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I loved the Korrasami and never in a million years thought they would actually do it, but it's been talked about to death. I want to talk about some non-Korrasami things from the finale. Things like...
  • I loved what they did with the Colossus. After last week's episode, Tumblr was full of 'WHY DON'T THEY JUST TRIP IT/FREEZE IT/BEND IT/BOP IT/TWIST IT' and the show basically addressed all of them in turn, as if it was cognizant of how obnoxious these people were and wanted to tell them to shut the gently caress up. It was beautiful. The constant back-and-forth with the mech and Team Avatar just struggling to slow it down really helped to establish it as a threat and made the moment when it finally exploded super-satisfying.
  • Kuvira piloting the mech was awesome. I loved the shot where they showed her starting a movement and then transitioned into the Colossus finishing it, making it really clear that this fuckhuge monstrosity is an extension of her and her megalomania. Kuvira was pretty much the reason the mech stayed standing for as long as it did. She's a beast.
  • JESUS EFFING CHRIST, they tore Republic City to shreds. Kuvira leveling the skyline was the moment I knew this finale would not let me down in terms of raw destruction.
  • I'm glad all the action in this finale took place in a single location and had everyone working together to take down a single massive threat. It works here because everyone has been so dispersed for so long that it felt special having them all come together. ATLA was just the opposite. It had everyone together all the time, so separating them into smaller groups and letting them have individual triumphs in the finale felt special as well.
  • The music was incredible. I hope they release a soundtrack, or that Jeremy Zuckerman at least posts the Korra-vs-Kuvira music on his soundcloud, because that was some pulse-pounding poo poo.
  • My God, the sound effects. :stare: I will never get tired of hearing the dubstep cannon. It seems so goofy in theory but it's so effective in practice.
  • I feel like the writers had a keen awareness of people's worst expectations, and purposefully and repeatedly set us up for them only to swerve at the last second. EXAMPLE: the Makorra fakeout. You can go on youtube and see people's reactions to the episode and the vast majority of them just groan the second it looks like Mako and Korra are gonna have a heart-to-heart and get back together. And then they didn't, and it was awesome.
  • Another example is when Kuvira goes into the Spirit Wilds after the mech explodes. I thought for sure she was gonna get karmically eaten by spirits, but nope! Instead, they had her literally (almost) done in by her own weapon, and she was the one who pulled the trigger.
  • That final explosion was loving amazing. Even though I know they're probably not going to follow up on this, I want to see them deal with the ramifications of the world now knowing that Spirit Vines can serve as both a power source and an incredibly powerful WMD. When that bomb went off, the Avatar World just basically entered the nuclear age.
  • Korra and Kuvira's cage match was loving great. It was totally different from their first encounter, which is great because I was worried they were just going to rehash it. I loved seeing Kuvira's liquid-metal mech controls turned into a weapon. I'm pretty sure that was actually meteor metal from Zaofu, the kind Su used for Babby's First Metalbending lesson.
  • I love that it ended with Korra saving Kuvira. She didn't just find a way to defeat her without killing her; she actively stepped in to save her life when by all rights, she earned that death-by-vaporization. People seem confused that Kuvira gave up so easily, but Kuvira said it herself; the fight is over, and she owes the Avatar her life. Korra is more powerful than she ever could be, so continuing the fight would be pointless. At the end, she just seemed tired. Hats off to Zelda Williams for her performance, throughout the season, but especially here.
  • The new Spirit Portal was an awesome way to end the fighting on a high note and have that 'pillar of light' throwback to the original. Plus, now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense. Who was the one who created the original spirit portals by breaking through the barriers between the worlds? Vaatu. The original dubstep cannon.

All in all, this was pretty loving phenomenal. And just like a bad ending can erase a lot of goodwill (HIMYM :byewhore:), a good ending can make up for a lot of bullshit. And this was a good ending. A very, very good ending. :allears:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Vaatu is the spirit of spiritiness. He has dominion over all spirits and he wanted to usher in ten thousand years of spirit rule in Season 2. So, yeah, the spirit vines are Vaatu vines, but every spirit is as well.

Season 2 was not well written.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just remembered that Avatar Wan's story was in Season 2 which was great so there's that one tiny glimmer of good in that giant shitpile.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Eej posted:

I just remembered that Avatar Wan's story was in Season 2 which was great so there's that one tiny glimmer of good in that giant shitpile.
Bolin Saves the President

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

IIRC, the Book 1 thread already had the One True Pairing edit.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

thexerox123 posted:

Also, it's not a laser, it's a seaser, if anything, being powered by spirit energy.

ALL HAIL SEASER THE GREAT UNITER!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Eej posted:

The Varrick part of the Mako sub-plot was great; especially when he turned around with the smuggest look after having Asami sign over her company. If it hadn't had Lin being a massive idiot the whole sub-plot would have been good.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Genocyber posted:

The Varrick part of the Mako sub-plot was great

Varrick single handedly saved Season 2.

"I did some good things too! Korra, who warned you about Unaloq? I did! Bolin, who got you into the movers? I did! Asami, who saved your company? I did! Mako, who got you thrown in jail? I did!"

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Suspicious Cook posted:

Varrick single handedly saved Season 2.

"I did some good things too! Korra, who warned you about Unaloq? I did! Bolin, who got you into the movers? I did! Asami, who saved your company? I did! Mako, who got you thrown in jail? I did!"

This is why I am glad I stayed out of show discussions. I had no issue with season 2. My only real show problem was the Deus ex healing at the end of season 1.

I dunno why people are saying cyberpunk for a mythical series 3. Save that for the totally unlikely Firebender Avatar series 4.

I mean Korra was roughly 50 years after Avatar. So next should be Kung Fu Magic 70s goddamnit.

Think about it. BELL BOTTOMED BADASSES ON THE MEAN STREETS OF FUNK.
(This is actually the name of a card game I keep meaning to get. Also best title for anything ever.)

That would be awesome as hell. Saturday Night Fever with magic Kung Fu! Low level personal computers! Telephones still rotary and color TV sets still uncommon.

Still under the shadow of the Mushroom Cloud. (Someone above mentioned now spirit vines are basically nuclear power. MAD changes poo poo. SFDebris.com has a long review of The Day After which came out in 83. For those of you in your 20s or younger I really recommend at least watching the intro video segment. poo poo, everyone really.)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Captain Rufus posted:

I mean Korra was roughly 50 years after Avatar. So next should be Kung Fu Magic 70s goddamnit.

(This is actually the name of a card game I keep meaning to get. Also best title for anything ever.)

Leaked image of the next avatar!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

This is why I am glad I stayed out of show discussions. I had no issue with season 2. My only real show problem was the Deus ex healing at the end of season 1.

I dunno why people are saying cyberpunk for a mythical series 3. Save that for the totally unlikely Firebender Avatar series 4.

That would be awesome as hell. Saturday Night Fever with magic Kung Fu! Low level personal computers! Telephones still rotary and color TV sets still uncommon.

Still under the shadow of the Mushroom Cloud. (Someone above mentioned now spirit vines are basically nuclear power. MAD changes poo poo. SFDebris.com has a long review of The Day After which came out in 83. For those of you in your 20s or younger I really recommend at least watching the intro video segment. poo poo, everyone really.)

Actually, Korra was set 70 years after Avatar. It seems that Avatars tend to live pretty long, judging by Roku and Kyoshi, so Korra might survive well into their millennial era.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Spirit chernobyl opens the fourth portal, earth kingdom refuses to acknowledge it until spirit fallout starts drifting into the fire nation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I really need someone to set the Collosus + Korra v. Kuvira fight to a mashup of Collective Consciousness, It Has To Be This Way, and the main Korra theme.

Like the “Violence breeds violence” bit could TOTALLY be mashed up with the “Duuuuh duh dah dah duuuuuh” bit of the Korra music and sound fantastic but I DON’T HAVE THE SKILL TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.

But I need to see it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You know that area between the West of the Fire Nation and the East of the Earth Nation that never gets any attention? What do you suppose is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mraagvpeine posted:

You know that area between the West of the Fire Nation and the East of the Earth Nation that never gets any attention? What do you suppose is there?

Water?

• Locked thread