Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It is not off by default, and the UI is not easy to find. Also, the anonymizing proxy was found to be insufficient and still leaked data through to Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

It is not off by default, and the UI is not easy to find. Also, the anonymizing proxy was found to be insufficient and still leaked data through to Amazon.

the UI is extremely easy to find (but not off by default)

its the first thing I disable every time I install ubuntu

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BP posted:

every time I install ubuntu

lmao

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

im bad at computers ok :(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

:laffo:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Suspicious Dish posted:

it may have been turned off by my laptop vendor then

A data leak is a serious problem, though it isn't data "sold" to amazon so much as given to them.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i just tried out fedora 21 in a VM and it was surprisingly usable: it's easy to enable transparent backgrounds in the terminal

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

it may have been turned off by my laptop vendor then

A data leak is a serious problem, though it isn't data "sold" to amazon so much as given to them.

Canonical is getting money in return for your search results. I don't see how that's not selling.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lysidas posted:

i just tried out fedora 21 in a VM and it was surprisingly usable: it's easy to enable transparent backgrounds in the terminal

congratulations fedora you did it someone who thinks transparent terminal backgrounds are 'usable' likes you

pram
Jun 10, 2001
transparent terminals: the killer feature of 1999

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Suspicious Dish posted:

Canonical is getting money in return for your search results. I don't see how that's not selling.
They only get the money when people buy things via the referral program, if I understand it correctly. They would make the exact same if the data leak bug where fixed (is it even real? link plz)

It's like if you went and bought chinese food and someone else's receipt was accidentally stuck to yours and then claimed the store was selling you personal information.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
are the terminals actually transparent or is it still that ridiculous hack where it just copies the right part of the wallpaper and applies some shading to that?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

are the terminals actually transparent or is it still that ridiculous hack where it just copies the right part of the wallpaper and applies some shading to that?

this is what happens in lubuntu 14.04

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
apparently somebody at Apple decided that Aero looked prettier than OS X pre-Mavericks so now there's gaudy-rear end frosted glass poo poo everywhere

this would never have happened if stebe was still alive :(

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
they're actually transparent, like the KDE terminals have been for years

gnome ones very well may have been this way for years too, but i know this functionality was removed in early gnome 3 and just now felt motivated to try out some fedora

a tiny bit of transparency is nice when you have a ton of terminal windows open, i keep them opaque enough that it isnt distracting at all but i can still see whats behind the terminal if i want to

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

apparently somebody at Apple decided that Aero looked prettier than OS X pre-Mavericks so now there's gaudy-rear end frosted glass poo poo everywhere

this would never have happened if stebe was still alive :(

The difference is that Aero was too transparent and didn't display anything useful below the frosted glass, Apple's is much more opaque and it's the document content that blends through instead of whatever is below the window.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lysidas posted:

gnome ones very well may have been this way for years too, but i know this functionality was removed in early gnome 3 and just now felt motivated to try out some fedora

fedora has a kde version so you don't have to do this poo poo

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Gnome-terminal 3.14 supports real transparency I think, but it was fake transparency in gnome 2.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

The difference is that Aero was too transparent and didn't display anything useful below the frosted glass, Apple's is much more opaque and it's the document content that blends through instead of whatever is below the window.

agreed. its good. and osx has had transparent terminals for years, so theres really no reason to use linux after all.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

They only get the money when people buy things via the referral program, if I understand it correctly. They would make the exact same if the data leak bug where fixed (is it even real? link plz)

It's like if you went and bought chinese food and someone else's receipt was accidentally stuck to yours and then claimed the store was selling you personal information.

oh so theyre getting the search data for free as long as the user doesnt buy anything? lmao

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
cram it linux nerds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-dVp542XGk

its templeos v 2 point 1 9

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyNdeQEOlRY
loosethos/sparrow os/temple os sure has a strange version naming convention
also i think this man is ill

SuziNovak
Mar 18, 2013

GREAT AS USUAL!
Linux 2

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Palace of Hate posted:

loosethos/sparrow os/temple os sure has a strange version naming convention
also i think this man is ill

he has schizophrenia. poor guy. :(

compuserved fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 22, 2014

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
terry davis posted in yospos a few years back, but i can't find his posts or the losethos/templeos thread in which he posted

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=177830

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

compuserved posted:

he's literally schizophrenic. poor guy. :(

I don't mean to single you out here but it's considered bad form to phrase it like that; it'd be more appropriate to say he has schizophrenia. Otherwise it sounds like that's all he is as a person.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
he is a person, who, in his free time, wrote an operating system. thats basically the extent of how hosed up he is, nothings gonna hold a candle to that, not even an altar boy or whatever he's into

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm still using Linux on my laptop and while it generally suits my needs I do not care for it

perhaps I should get a surface lmao

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Broken Machine posted:

I don't mean to single you out here but it's considered bad form to phrase it like that; it'd be more appropriate to say he has schizophrenia. Otherwise it sounds like that's all he is as a person.

i understand what you're saying, and you're right that it could be phrased better. i appreciate you saying that. i'll go back and edit my post.

compuserved fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 22, 2014

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
linux tip: installing infinality breaks mint and it wont start the gui until u janitor up some scripts

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
stop using mint and stop using ubuntu

ubuntu is like teh linux of linux

gently caress u ppl are dumb

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
so today I decided to upgrade to fedora 21 because I didn't have anything better to do... my packages were up to date so I ran fedup. it took loving forever. I didn't time it but the process may have taken more than 8 hours.

finally I started my newly upgraded os aaaand... it was super lovely. every time after logging in (took forever) there would be a message about a problem with the kernel. the whole system was unbearably slow

then I felt an almost deja-vu thing and decided to run yum update and I guess it solved my problems.

my impressions so far:

- fedora 21's default wallpaper is kind of bad. I never changed the fedora 20 wallpaper because it was nice but now I feel compelled to change this turd.

- I like how the terminal's window border is dark now

- it does feel a little faster and I appreciate it a lot :toot:

- before updating it seemed like gnome3 took away my 2/3 custom keyboard shortcuts but now after the yum update they're back. huh

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ShadowHawk posted:

they never did

if you did a search in the unity dash for something one of the handlers for that search would anonymize the data, run it through an anonymizing proxy, then query amazon for the same term and return the results (with a +canonical referral link included).

After everyone complained easy UI to disable it was added in the next release, and I believe today it's off by default.

they include a referral link? that's pretty lovely

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
- I like how gedit and file-roller looks now. they should do the same with eog now!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

- fedora 21's default wallpaper is kind of bad. I never changed the fedora 20 wallpaper because it was nice but now I feel compelled to change this turd.

Was the result of a long argument: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2014-October/thread.html#10779

lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Some people view GNOME as an echo chamber. Some people
view Fedora as a bunch of clueless packaging nerds that have no taste
or design sensibilities. The truth lies very much in between.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Jesus Christ

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Why I left Red Hat, exhibit A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU