Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I decided to have a look back at the thread for the day all this bollocks was decided, Russia reaction starts here, Qatar here.

quote:

How to win a world cup bid.

Not be a broke rear end nation with no money, massive deficits and a government that is at the mercy of it's banks.

Qatar and Russia were by far and away the best bids on the table because of all the promises made, they actually have the money and the economies to get it done and adapt to any extra parameters.

The rest will prolly still be begging off the IMF come 2018 and 2022 repsectively.

quote:

I don't see Russia asking for handouts from the IMF or neighbouring countries right now, do you?

I fail to see where Russia, supplier of most of europes energy resources currently, is going to become financially insolvent compared to the eurozone by 2018...

Ah the wisdom of Outrespective

Blue Star Error fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
It's especially funny because he's not only wrong from a footballing perspective but also the rouble has literally halved versus the dollar in the last year

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fifa official says England had the best bid for 2018 World Cup

http://gu.com/p/44ccb

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

oliwan posted:

We always knew this. It should have come home.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It did in 2014 tho.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Did China even bid for it?

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Syncopated posted:

Did China even bid for it?

Dont troll, please

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

oliwan posted:

He's setting himself up for a run at Blatter next year, I guess this is related to that

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Begall posted:

He's setting himself up for a run at Blatter next year, I guess this is related to that
Actually he's setting himself up to be banned for life after some mysterious corruption charges against him materialize out of nowhere.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

WC 2014 in England ,.... would have been so special :'(

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

England didn't get picked because it had the best infrastructure, no construction contracts to skim

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Hegay posted:

England didn't get picked because it had the best infrastructure, no construction contracts to skim

This X1000

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30572224

quote:

Fifa and Sepp Blatter in secret talks about president's future

Secret talks between Fifa officials and Sepp Blatter have taken place over his future as the president of football's world governing body, BBC Sport has learned.

The discussions, which involved representatives from a number of football confederations, are understood to have started in October 2013 at the celebrations for the Football Association's 150th anniversary. Blatter has since confirmed his likely intention to stand in next May's presidential election and seek a fifth term of office.

However, with the 29 January deadline for candidates to declare their interest in standing as a candidate in the May election looming, there is mounting concern amongst several Fifa executives over the governing body's future direction and leadership.

And nothing will come of this.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
:lol: at England not being able to outbribe Russia and Qatar

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Swan Curry posted:

This makes no sense

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

You don't understand, they're not meeting to tell him not to run, they're meeting to tell him to run.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
If Blatter doesn't run, whoever he decides to back in the election will win. The candidate he picks will be the man most likely to be a carbon copy of Blatter, making the entire thing pointless. He may as well stay until he dies.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually he's setting himself up to be banned for life after some mysterious corruption charges against him materialize out of nowhere.

it already started!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...up-bidding.html

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hahaha its so obvious.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Swan Curry posted:

The Brits are still shocked that introducing FIFA officials to their decrepit royality and buying them a nice dinner wasn't enough to get the World Cup. What's football coming to?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Remember, these are world class trolls; look for him to be banned for accepting Qatari bribes.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

We've got an official death toll, folks!

The Guardian posted:

Nepalese migrants building the infrastructure to host the 2022 World Cup have died at a rate of one every two days in 2014 – despite Qatar’s promises to improve their working conditions, the Guardian has learned.

The figure excludes deaths of Indian, Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi workers, raising fears that if fatalities among all migrants were taken into account the toll would almost certainly be more than one a day.
[...]
The Nepalese foreign employment promotion board said 157 of its workers in Qatar had died between January and mid-November this year – 67 of sudden cardiac arrest and eight of heart attacks. Thirty-four deaths were recorded as workplace accidents.

Figures sourced separately by the Guardian from Nepalese authorities suggest the total during that period could be as high as 188. In 2013, the figure from January to mid-November was 168.

“We know that people who work long hours in high temperatures are highly vulnerable to fatal heat strokes, so obviously these figures continue to cause alarm,” said Nicholas McGeehan, the Middle East researcher at Human Rights Watch.

“It’s Qatar’s responsibility to determine if deaths are related to living and working conditions, but Qatar flatly rejected a DLA Piper recommendation to launch an immediate investigation into these deaths last year.”

Some within Qatar suggest the cardiac arrest death rates could be comparable to those among Nepalese workers of a similar age at home. The Indian embassy argued this year that the number of deaths was in line with the average in their home country. But in the absence of robust research or any attempt to catalogue the cause of death, human rights organisations say it is impossible to properly compare figures.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

DickEmery posted:

Remember, these are world class trolls; look for him to be banned for accepting Qatari bribes.

"he was being investigated over his links to the country’s Aspire Academy and e-mails exchanged with its director regarding the possibility of unpaid internships for his son, nephew and brother-in-law."

You've got to be kidding... unpaid internships?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The misconduct here is that he didn't get his son a six figure internship. Dreadful incompetence

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Investigated for ethics violations for getting relatives unpaid internships.

*gives sons construction company rights to build stadiums*.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
So basically it went:

1. he asked Aspire to provide free internships for his kids.

2. Aspire said no

3. Sepp learns he might run against him in the next election

4. CORRUPTION!!!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I love Sepp Blatter. He's a genius, like a really good Bond villain. He manages to have more dirt on everyone than they have on him. He even had the foresight to not vote for Qatar because now that's one more thing that makes him look like he's less corrupt than everyone else in FIFA.

Sepp you are my hero

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Sepp Blatter is the greatest troll that ever lived

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I genuinely think hes one of the best businessmen the world has ever seen.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

This is definitely the best part of the article:

quote:

Some within Qatar suggest the cardiac arrest death rates could be comparable to those among Nepalese workers of a similar age at home. The Indian embassy argued this year that the number of deaths was in line with the average in their home country. But in the absence of robust research or any attempt to catalogue the cause of death, human rights organisations say it is impossible to properly compare figures.

I mean is it so hard to believe that out of the 67 people, who were statistically going to die back home, all of them ended up working in Qatar? At least they'll know they're turning things around when the guy who operates the "This many days since a statistically probable death" sign gets to use the number 3.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

serious gaylord posted:

I genuinely think hes one of the best businessmen the world has ever seen.

What is his net worth?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-soccer/joseph-sepp-blatter-net-worth/

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

I would assume that's off by a couple of zeros.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Huh. No wonder he's corrupt. He barely earns enough to tie ends together

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

DickEmery posted:

I would assume that's off by a couple of zeros.

Its based off of his reported salary and he lives in Switzerland. Of course its massively off.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
He uses his position to give his son every possible contract, engages in the flogging of distributed tickets (which he distributes), was outed by interpol as accepting bribes as understudy to Havelange, and as bhyo said lives in Switzerland. and runs an organisation with a $4bn tax-free reserve. If anyone thinks we'll ever know how much money he has you're insane.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Spangly A posted:

He uses his position to give his son every possible contract, engages in the flogging of distributed tickets (which he distributes), was outed by interpol as accepting bribes as understudy to Havelange, and as bhyo said lives in Switzerland. and runs an organisation with a $4bn tax-free reserve. If anyone thinks we'll ever know how much money he has you're insane.

Sepp doesn't have a son

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Hegay posted:

Sepp doesn't have a son

That's sad. I'll be your son Sepp.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its his nephew that gets all the kickbacks isnt it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Is it his nephew or his "nephew"?