Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Actually Plato is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Actually Plato is good.

Plato posted:

Our music was once divided into its proper forms...It was not permitted to exchange the melodic styles of these established forms and others. Knowledge and informed judgment penalized disobedience. There were no whistles, unmusical mob-noises, or clapping for applause. The rule was to listen silently and learn; boys, teachers, and the crowd were kept in order by threat of the stick. . . . But later, an unmusical anarchy was led by poets who had natural talent, but were ignorant of the laws of music...Through foolishness they deceived themselves into thinking that there was no right or wrong way in music, that it was to be judged good or bad by the pleasure it gave. By their works and their theories they infected the masses with the presumption to think themselves adequate judges. So our theatres, once silent, grew vocal, and aristocracy of music gave way to a pernicious theocracy...the criterion was not music, but a reputation for promiscuous cleverness and a spirit of law-breaking.

Yeah this guy sounds good and smart, not like a pompous jerkoff who is pissed because people like the wrong music, Forms are stupid, people mix genres all the time and it works, there is no Ideal Horse or anything else; he's garbage.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 22, 2014

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

Christianity has been in decline ever since the satanic work of Martin Luther. Anyone who distorts the true gospel is a false teacher, a wolf in sheep's clothing, an antichrist. It is prophesied that by the end few believers will remain. I do not worry. I simply tell the truth and let you choose heaven or hell. None of you can claim ignorance.

Christianity has been in decline ever since the satanic work of Constantine “the Equal of the Apostles”. Anyone who distorts the true gospel is a false teacher, a wolf in sheep's clothing, an antichrist.

And I could make a good case for Saul of Tarsus. I'd also point out that Luther distorted whatever you think the Good News is far less than e.g. the Borgias did.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yes... this tubby bastard is a "pretty cool dude", especially for his work "On the Jews and Their Lies," which directly laid a theological groundwork for Nazi Germany. It says a lot that all of the commie Satanists love him. From wackypedia:

And yet it was the Roman Catholic Church that signed a pact with Nazi Germany. And Hitler himself was a public Roman Catholic and never actually excommunicated by the Roman Catholic Church. (What he believed in in private seems to have been Hitler). People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

Of course Luther's anti-semitism was produced via the ridiculous account of the Sanhedrin in the Bible that bears no resemblance to anything that is likely to have happened (and a severely out of character Pontius Pilate having a man crucified for sedition (standard punishment - the Sanhedrin would have had him stoned fro blasphemy) and the antisemitism of the Gospel of John that allowed the Romans to wash their hands of it being their laws.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

steinrokkan posted:

Actually Plato is good.

Paging Karl Popper, Dr Sir Karl Raimund Popper to the thread please.

Seriously gently caress Plato. (I don't even like Karl Popper that much).

neonchameleon posted:

And yet it was the Roman Catholic Church that signed a pact with Nazi Germany. And Hitler himself was a public Roman Catholic and never actually excommunicated by the Roman Catholic Church. (What he believed in in private seems to have been Hitler). People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

Goebbels was - for marrying a protestant :devil:

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 22, 2014

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Actually Plato is good.
I disagree, he is bad. His legacy isn't justified, he was not a good philosopher for his time, nor was he good in hindsight. Modern philosophy was the west slowly unlearning all the dumb poo poo that fell out of his head.

The only reason he is remembered is because of class conflict - plato provided the ideal that the ruling classes have historically used to morally legitimize themselves. Absent that political motivation, he wold not be considered important.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 22, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

rudatron posted:

I disagree, he is bad. His legacy isn't justified, he was not a good philosopher for his time, nor was he good in hindsight. Modern philosophy was the west slowly unlearning all the dumb poo poo that fell out of his head.

The only reason he is remembered is because of class conflict - plato provided the ideal that the ruling classes have historically used to morally legitimize themselves. Absent that political motivation, he wold not be considered important.

Wasn't Plato also one of the ones that held knowledge was for the elite, not for the working/lower classes?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Wasn't Plato also one of the ones that held knowledge was for the elite, not for the working/lower classes?

That explains why the catholic church didn't want people to read the bible.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

If that's your criterion for judging philosophers, you'll find an uncomfortably large number of them are out. It's probably better to view what they're saying in the context of their aristocratic societies and not dwell on overmuch this beyond understanding that context.

But yeah Plato is a shitter from this perspective.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

If that's your criterion for judging philosophers, you'll find an uncomfortably large number of them are out. It's probably better to view what they're saying in the context of their aristocratic societies and not dwell on overmuch this beyond understanding that context.

But yeah Plato is a shitter from this perspective.

Oh, I know, I just couldn't remember off the top of my head if he was one of them. I know there were a LOT of the Greco-Roman philosophers that eschewed that viewpoint.

And no, that is not the only reason I'm not a huge fan of Plato: You can say plenty of influential and true things and still be a poo poo hole of a person.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Disinterested posted:

Paging Karl Popper, Dr Sir Karl Raimund Popper to the thread please.

Like anybody takes Popper's facile ideas about Plato's link to totalitarianism seriously.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

steinrokkan posted:

Actually Plato is good.
How come? He seems destructively hung up on some kind of hypothetical holographic ideal which does not seem to correspond very closely with how the material universe works; when it comes to society, he seems to essentially want an aristocracy like Athens which is, however, hard and tuff like Sparta. The primary place I hear people cite Plato is being snotty about how we use the term "democracy" as a vernacular for "government responsive to the people, with primarily elective leadership" and then going "well living in a DEMOCRACY would be HORRIBLE, because then blah blah blah but good thing we live in a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC :911: :freep: :smug: instead... STUPID."

Now I wouldn't deny his guy's historical value, or say his writings should be suppressed or something. But "good"?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

This is from a few pages back but it's important!

Sharkie posted:

Apparently God's running late:

Again, what is the context of the gospels?

The Romans kicked everyone's asses in Israel! The authors of the New Testament, and especially the author of Luke/Acts, were writing in an aftermath! God wasn't running late, the poo poo had already hit the fan. The world had already ended! When the gospels have Jesus talking about the destruction of the temple and the destruction of Jerusalem, they were writing about events that had already happened. And they (the authors) were parts of communities that were coping with the repercussion of those events! The infighting between the groups the survived who were trying to be the interpreters of those events is also apparent in the gospels.

So just so it's clear. The predictions aren't false predictions, because the events in question happened. But they also aren't predictions.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Exclamation mark! Baseless arguments! ! ! !

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are the Revelations prophecies predictions, Brandor?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I would like to see a list of predictions come true made by Religion/Bible

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
LOL how did D&D all come to the obligatorily held opinion that Plato of all people is evil. Don't you know some people call him the first communist??

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/plato-ethics-politics/#4.2

He has all sorts of things you should like. The abolishment of the family, that sounds right up your alley! And he cared about women's rights! And he thought the ruling class should be heavily restricted in their private property! gently caress Plato?! gently caress you!

For the record, I regard Plato as super duper smart, and good. But the Church, while it honors him greatly, has always favored Aristotle.

Dragonshirt posted:

:vince:

Was she the same race as you? If there's one thing that this thread has taught me, it's that this question is Biblically super-important.

That's not what I said, liar! But, since you brought it up... there are quite a few passages in the Old Testament about the importance of marrying within your race! One of the reasons Solomon is condemned by God in the Bible (yes, really, Solomon lovers!) is because of his foreign wives (which led him to foreign gods...) In fact, in Nehemiah 13:23-29...

NIV posted:

23 Moreover, in those days I saw men of Judah who had married women from Ashdod, Ammon and Moab. 24 Half of their children spoke the language of Ashdod or the language of one of the other peoples, and did not know how to speak the language of Judah. 25 I rebuked them and called curses down on them. I beat some of the men and pulled out their hair. I made them take an oath in God's name and said: "You are not to give your daughters in marriage to their sons, nor are you to take their daughters in marriage for your sons or for yourselves. 26 Was it not because of marriages like these that Solomon king of Israel sinned? Among the many nations there was no king like him. He was loved by his God, and God made him king over all Israel, but even he was led into sin by foreign women. 27 Must we hear now that you too are doing all this terrible wickedness and are being unfaithful to our God by marrying foreign women?" 28 One of the sons of Joiada son of Eliashib the high priest was son-in-law to Sanballat the Horonite. And I drove him away from me. 29 Remember them, O my God, because they defiled the priestly office and the covenant of the priesthood and of the Levites.

Michael Jackson posted:

Exclamation mark! Baseless arguments! ! ! !

Sometimes I'm in a really lively mood and exclamation marks are just fitting! Teh-hee!

Panzeh posted:

You sound like a broken, emotionally immature human being. Relationships are ephemeral. Expecting two people to stay together forever is ridiculous because no part of human psychology really supports that.

I hope you're trolling, because you sound really pathetic.

Actually, his views are supremely normal from anyone who's ever been in a breakup! I don't know how all of you guys manage to swallow that part of yourselves -- maybe you'd never been betrayed, or something, I don't know. But your callous rejection of everyone's pain is, of course, totally evil!

If he did go to a therapist about this, here's what he'd hear: "Yes, this is completely normal..." I encourage him to do this if only so that he realizes how loving insane D&D is, and how stupid they are to encourage people to seek psychiatric authorities which inevitably totally contradict their opinions. Two fingers in the air, people!

Here's a great thing about it: Women don't like being dumped, either! In fact, they hate it! They really really really hate it! It's one of those things that causes them to call for the death of all men, also known of as, "feminism." I dumped a girl who really liked me and she refused to be friends with me afterwards -- what do you call that? Oh, it's that thing you like to complain about men complaining about... I was trying to "friend zone" her! And this was only after two weeks!

Although I could date and dump other girls as some sort of retribution, I have instead decided not to cause unnecessary pain! So, I avoid dating people I don't think are plausible marriage material from the start. This is mocked by some of you bro dudes as "not getting laid enough!" and "virginal" lol!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
yes aristotle great man good church man

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

LOL how did D&D all come to the obligatorily held opinion that Plato of all people is evil. Don't you know some people call him the first communist??

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/plato-ethics-politics/#4.2

He has all sorts of things you should like. The abolishment of the family, that sounds right up your alley! And he cared about women's rights! And he thought the ruling class should be heavily restricted in their private property! gently caress Plato?! gently caress you!

For the record, I regard Plato as super duper smart, and good. But the Church, while it honors him greatly, has always favored Aristotle.

Oh, what? He was the first communist? OBVIOUSLY NOW I LIKE HIM! Thanks Stanford :allears:

You can be extremely smart and intellectual and do great things in your field and still be a hateful moron.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kyrie eleison posted:

He has all sorts of things you should like. The abolishment of the family, that sounds right up your alley!

How do you figure?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kyrie eleison posted:

It's one of those things that causes them to call for the death of all men, also known of as, "feminism."

Nope

quote:

I dumped a girl who really liked me and she refused to be friends with me afterwards -- what do you call that? Oh, it's that thing you like to complain about men complaining about... I was trying to "friend zone" her!

That's not what idiots mean when they say friend zone. They're talking about how the other person won't date them at all even though they're suuuuuuch a good friend.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Literally The Worst posted:

How do you figure?

:ssh: We support gay rights, obviously we hate families.

A picture of a broken family.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: We support gay rights, obviously we hate families.

A picture of a broken family.

That dude is black! THat kid is absolutely hosed.

(Also I knew the answer I just wanted him to say it)

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

Actually, his views are supremely normal from anyone who's ever been in a breakup! I don't know how all of you guys manage to swallow that part of yourselves -- maybe you'd never been betrayed, or something, I don't know. But your callous rejection of everyone's pain is, of course, totally evil!

I've been through a few breakups, and it wasn't too awful after a couple days. It didn't work out, let it go, go chill with some friends and maybe meet some new people!

This process is much, much easier when you aren't a ball of white-hot self righteous entitled rage though, so I can understand why you think it's hard. If you let go of your apparent need to judge everything and everyone (which most religions advise against anyway), life becomes so much easier!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

A lot of what you said about Plato is somewhat misguided, but this most of all. Speaking as a person whose primary academic training is in medieval history and the history of ideas:

Plato (by which I primarily mean neo-Platonists) much more heavily informed the principal theologians of the Catholic church until the re-entry of Aristotle into European intellectual life, principally through Averroes (himself a neo-Platonist with a neo-Platonist conception of Aristotle). This happens principally with the work of Thomas Aquinas (who remember, is unpicking the Plato out of Averroes' works on Aristotle). The Summa is in large part an attempt to integrate Aristotle into Augustinian theory; thence comes ideas such as the rudimentary virtue of pagans. Augustine, who is absolutely the towering church father until Aquinas takes that title, is much more influenced by Plato's work than that of Aristotle (though his principal political interaction with classical political theory is with Cicero). This is also the case with Pseudo-Dionysus the Areopagite

This is also the case simply in the political aspirations of the papacy. One need only read the argument between John of Paris and Giles of Rome to see that the neo-Platonist argument for total papal supremacy over all spiritual and temporal matters is alive and well in 1300. The bulls Clericis laicos, Unam sanctam and Ausculta Fili are a major expression of that belief. Once Philip IV has broken Boniface VIII's back over this matter, only then is the way clear for Aristotle to really become 'the man' in the way you suggest.

Edit 1:

This is the sort of argument that only a neo-platonist churchman in the 13th century would really try to make:

quote:

“There is only one holy, Catholic and apostolic church… outside this church there is no salvation or remission of sins…the Lord said to this Peter ‘feed my sheep’ (John 21:17)…there are two swords, a spiritual one and a temporal one (Luke 22:30). Certainly anyone who denies that the temporal sword is in the power of Peter has not paid heed to the words of the Lord… Therefore we declare state, define and pronounce that it is altogether necessary to salvation for every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff.”

You catch the Neo-Platonism in Giles of Rome here:

quote:

‘Temporal things, as such must indeed be ordered towards spiritual ends. For the hope of happiness must not be placed in temporal things: they are frail and transitory, and so the hope of happiness must not be placed in any of them.’

Whereas for John of Paris, who does buy into Aristotle:

quote:

‘Yet though it be said that in principle the priestly is a more dignified function than the royal, it does not follow that it is superior in every respect.’

Edit 2: Incidentally, rowing back from the Unam Sanctam position is something the church has never been able to manage successfully, from a theoretical/theological perspective. It has tried.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 22, 2014

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

TwoQuestions posted:

I've been through a few breakups, and it wasn't too awful after a couple days. It didn't work out, let it go, go chill with some friends and maybe meet some new people!

This process is much, much easier when you aren't a ball of white-hot self righteous entitled rage though, so I can understand why you think it's hard. If you let go of your apparent need to judge everything and everyone (which most religions advise against anyway), life becomes so much easier!

Lol, wow, a couple days? You must have really been in love with her! :rolleyes:

Only people who have ever actually been in love with someone and dumped by them need talk about the very obvious and universal pain of it, especially when they've been "leading you on" (Yes! that is the correct phrase to describe it!) into thinking they are interested in the same sort of thing. Leading you on in ways such as, having sex with you, saying they love you, talking about future plans, etc. only to dump you. That can cause trust issues! And that's why, kids, it's morally imperative that you only pursue relationships with people you potentially want to marry!

Again: It happens to women too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Here's a great thing about it: Women don't like being dumped, either! In fact, they hate it! They really really really hate it! It's one of those things that causes them to call for the death of all men, also known of as, "feminism." I dumped a girl who really liked me and she refused to be friends with me afterwards -- what do you call that? Oh, it's that thing you like to complain about men complaining about... I was trying to "friend zone" her! And this was only after two weeks!

Militant Extreme Feminism calls for the death of men.

Feminism is an equality movement, you jackass.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

Militant Extreme Feminism calls for the death of men.

Feminism is an equality movement, you jackass.

Funny -- that other thing sure has a really loud, snarky, angry voice and is still called "feminism"! Does feminism believe in, say, men's rights? Because that sounds like an important part of equality!

I only accept "gender equality" as a movement, not "feminism". And even then, I don't subscribe to it fully... I'm a Catholic after all! Hyuk! What do the French say? Vive la différence!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

zeal posted:

Are the Revelations prophecies predictions, Brandor?

No.
It's about various Roman emperors. The beast from the sea for example is Domitian. It's about rejecting the Imperial Cult.

Here's some frontline on Revelations that goes into more depth.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/apocalypse/revelation/white.html

And, yes.
In the sense that metaphorically it is someone saying: "This poo poo here we as a community are suffering through is hosed!" and then follows that with " and all this hosed poo poo is going to end someday".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kyrie eleison posted:

Only people who have ever actually been in love with someone and dumped by them need talk about the very obvious and universal pain of it, especially when they've been "leading you on" (Yes! that is the correct phrase to describe it!) into thinking they are interested in the same sort of thing. Leading you on in ways such as, having sex with you, saying they love you, talking about future plans, etc. only to dump you. That can cause trust issues! And that's why, kids, it's morally imperative that you only pursue relationships with people you potentially want to marry!

Please respond to my posts.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Does feminism believe in, say, men's rights?

Yes, but ironically the men's rights movement does not believe in women's rights.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

BrandorKP posted:

No.
It's about various Roman emperors. The beast from the sea for example is Domitian. It's about rejecting the Imperial Cult.

Here's some frontline on Revelations that goes into more depth.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/apocalypse/revelation/white.html

And, yes.
In the sense that metaphorically it is someone saying: "This poo poo here we as a community are suffering through is hosed!" and then follows that with " and all this hosed poo poo is going to end someday".

To be fair, it does include eschatology too! Also some cool stuff about the War in Heaven when the Archangel Michael totally kicked Satan's @$$.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kyrie eleison posted:

Truly this is someone to listen to about human relationships. How the hell are you supposed to know you want to marry someone before pursuing a relationship?

I think you've been watching too much anime or something because not being able to get over a breakup is the opposite of healthy.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

So you were betrayed? Good thing you found out before you signed the paperwork! The person you loved didn't actually exist then, it was a show to get something from you, and you escaped before they could get more.

I'm also not one to dwell on things that I can do nothing about, and it's helped me a ton in life. Try it!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I would like to see a list of predictions come true made by Religion/Bible

It's hard for apocalypse to not be true... eventually. When there is talk about the end of the world, it's starts as about one thing (say the end of the Heriodian dynasty and a new Kingdom of Israel). Then it gets pushed back turns into talk about something else (say the end of Rome and the new Kingdom). Eventually apocalyptic talk gets pushed back to the end of history, but something else happens when it gets there. It becomes again about the things it originally was about (cross, Israel, and Rome) and about the end of history and about right now. I've seen this called the "flexibility of apocalyptic reasoning"

So as for a prediction that comes true made by religion that one can find in the Bible...

I like this one, and I've posted this example before:
"Everything dies, baby, that's a fact"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Funny -- that other thing sure has a really loud, snarky, angry voice and is still called "feminism"! Does feminism believe in, say, men's rights? Because that sounds like an important part of equality!

Yes it does believe in mens rights. You keep digging this hole, and you are so deep you are not climbing out of it.

On the flip side: Mens Rights activists are misogynistic douchebags. Oh, protip: Anime is generally really loving sexist.

BrandorKP posted:

It's hard for apocalypse to not be true... eventually. When there is talk about the end of the world, it's starts as about one thing (say the end of the Heriodian dynasty and a new Kingdom of Israel). Then it gets pushed back turns into talk about something else (say the end of Rome and the new Kingdom). Eventually apocalyptic talk gets pushed back to the end of history, but something else happens when it gets there. It becomes again about the things it originally was about (cross, Israel, and Rome) and about the end of history and about right now. I've seen this called the "flexibility of apocalyptic reasoning"

So as for a prediction that comes true made by religion that one can find in the Bible...

I like this one, and I've posted this example before:
"Everything dies, baby, that's a fact"

The sun going red giant is hardly a prediction the Bible made, the idea that everything dies and everything ends, that is something you could figure out long before the Bible with relative ease.

Most of the 'geopolitical predictions' the Bible made about its heyday were probably common knowledge, so I have reason to doubt they count as predictions made by the Bible.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 22, 2014

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rodatose posted:

My thought with someone being "taken" or taking/having is that if one truly wants to "have" someone, they should do it by continually acting in a way toward their loved one that fulfills their emotional needs in such a way that they don't have to even think about going with someone else. It goes back to the idea of aristotlean virtue I posted about earlier (which is very similar to Taoist "doing not-doing")

If a relationship is only held together because of some act of compulsion is making people not leave, then it's probably a shell of a relationship and at least one of the people in it would probably be better off without it. If you stop trying and that person or those people's emotional needs are no longer being met, you shouldn't be able to just ride on the legal fiction of ownership. They should be able to do what they need to meet their needs just as any other individual seeking self-actualization should.

that second last sentence goes for any social material relations: if you stop trying and now societies needs are no longer being met by you you shouldn't be able to just ride on the legal fiction of ownership

e: Having to have a signal to avoid being rejected by someone who's in a relationship is really more how people make too big a deal of the implications of a bad answer to a simple question like "wanna date." Instead of realizing not everyone's compatible with each other, it's not a big deal, plenty of other fish in the sea, we got stuck with the most prudish people being in power historically and spreading complicated customs about signaling so that they don't have to deal with their pride being hurt

I agree with all of this. No relationship can be held together by an act of compulsion. The issue at play here is that someone can be fulfilling someone else's emotional needs but not acknowledging the existence of a relationship. This is the 'friendzone' and is willfully dishonest. The person says they have a boyfriend and are taken, and yet seem to be getting close to me, only to flip the gently caress out when I tell them you know holy crap I like you. Also this person and I have insanely high compatibility - as friends, there was never a single issue in our 'relationship'. As soon as I told this person I cared for them they didn't even tell me how they felt about me or their boyfriend, just that they were 'thankful for my respecting the integrity of her relationship' and that she is OK being 'friends'. In absence of clearly communicating her feelings towards me it leaves me in a very dangerous trap.

We communicate affection in nonverbal ways. The essay I wrote was about that. The point of marriage and the ring is that it's a visible signal of a final, irrevocable decision so everyone is perfectly clear on where you stand, and you can't friendzone every guy in sight and then flip the gently caress out and blame them when they have feelings for you.

nopantsjack posted:

Yeah, this is what we're talking about.
If this happens the correct response is to just stop talking to them. Someone went crazy at you and you were trying to "defend her reputation" for some reason. Lucky her.

Is it possible she knew the whole time and you appeared to be a super creepo who just wouldn't gently caress off?

E: Can you stay around to fight with Kyrie? When MIGF and Kyrie were scrapping I was so happy, it was like seeing two boss monsters aggro eachother.

Well, we worked on music projects for a 1.25 years together, then we became closer friends over the Summer, then as soon as I told her I liked her she flipped the gently caress out and blamed it on me. And of course I will never talk to her again. The issue is we go to the same school so I've pretty much been forced to leave even though I've done nothing wrong. I've completed my musical education there anyway though - I was probably the best student in that school's whole program. 4.0 GPA, the library music tutor, the leader of my Choir's section, all around upstanding person. Forced away and reputation tarnished because I liked a girl. Oops.

CowOnCrack fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 22, 2014

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, protip: Anime is generally really loving sexist.

Lol. You should watch Madoka and tell me what's sexist about it.

Also, a woman who doesn't like anime is not marriage material

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Lol. You should watch Madoka and tell me what's sexist about it.

'Generally'

Kyrie eleison posted:

Also, a woman who doesn't like anime is not marriage material

Man, my wife loves anime and she'd still jump on you for making generalizations about women.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 22, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kyrie eleison posted:

To be fair, it does include eschatology too!

Certainly it does. What do we mean by apocalypse and revelation? Is this particular apocalypse (the Book of Revelation) related to the apocalypses found in the gospels by the historical events of it's context and their context?

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

No, you clearly do because you insult her;

Well, I don't respect her anymore, or her sense of romance. Doesn't mean I insult her as a human being.

quote:

And you're REALLY going out of your way to make her the bad guy. But let's review what we know from you.

I hate to say it, but she was way, way off in what she did and how she reacted. My psychiatrist and the mediator I talked to at the school both suggested I file a complaint against her but to me that's letting her win.

quote:

No person is ever going to flip the gently caress out and try to destroy someone because they're told someone loves them. So either you did way more stuff to poison the well then you're letting on or she simply rejected you and you really overreacted. At this point I'm leaning towards either.

She may feel that way, but that's her problem to deal with, not mine. She basically started acting out, slandering me, and threatening to pull the whole music program apart by not working with me and because we are both valuable students this was an issue. If she doesn't give a poo poo about me or my feelings she should deal with it like an adult but she instead threw a tantrum. I literally held everything together at my expense.

quote:

Yes, it sounds like you believe that you were "friendzoned", which is a super lovely way for you to look at relationships between men and women! She's not a vending machine that you put nice tokens into and then get sex marriage out of.

I don't even know if what happens deserves its own name. It's sad that made-for-TV concepts from the 90's make their way into our vernacular. She's a deceitful, wicked woman for fraternizing with lots of male 'friends' and then blaming them when they have feelings for her. I built an extraordinary level of trust with this person and they even admitted to me they have done this many times in the past.

quote:

Holy poo poo, YES IT'S WRONG! What about you being willing to own up to the potential consequences (which you clearly aren't willing to do) makes it ok to do that? You were trying to get her to cheat on her boyfriend with you. How would you feel if you were in the boyfriend's position and she accepted another man's advances and immediately broke it off with you for him? You'd probably be in an even worse boat than you are now!

I was willing to accept whatever the consequences were. I care for this person. We had known each other for almost 2 years before I told her that I liked her, compared with her knowing her boyfriend for 3.5 and openly expressing dissatisfaction for a period of 6 months. She's entitled to be with whomever she wishes, but then she should be honest about who is who. It pretty much seemed to me that she is trying to make me boyfriend 2.0 and that every man has to be her boyfriend her else. She's insane.

quote:

YES. When you "respectfully" "court" a person that does not want to be courted, and for future reference anyone who is in a relationship has a blanket 'no' on that question, then that is the exact definition of harassment. Open up any dictionary and you'll find your exact course of events listed there under "examples of harassment".

All I did was congratulate her on a musical performance, offer her a job to sit my dog, and give her a birthday present over the 3 month period that I was tormented by the fact I loved her and couldn't let it go. Otherwise I kept my distance because it was so painful to be around her. Also, because we go to the same school, I had to endure seeing her every single weekday and because she's the music librarian I had to get my practice key every morning from her and just feign being polite. It nearly killed me.

quote:

So she should have considered your fragile baby fawn feelings before saying that no, she doesn't want to leave her boyfriend for you. Well what a callous monster she is! Wait, no, the other thing; completely normal.

She didn't really say that though. She never explained her feelings for her boyfriend, and was fine continuing to have me as her 'friend.' What is the difference between us?

quote:

Holy gently caress, dude, these are not normal or healthy views in the least! You very clearly have some issues with how you view women, and that's almost certainly why you've had 'bad luck' with them. You say you're seeing a therapist, so I'd like you to do me and yourself a huge favor, and print out your last five or six posts, unedited and without any of our replies, and show them to your therapist. I bet they'll have some useful things to say!

I documented everything that happened between me and her and shared it with my psychiatrist already, and he agrees that she is crazy and suggests I file a complaint against her offensively to defend myself against a future "woman coming out of the woodworks."

quote:

Your aunt told you some Grade A chain-email urban legend bullshit. This never happened.

I'll be sure to tell my aunt Mary Ann Lendenmen, who I'm very close to, that she's a liar and so is my cousin (who knew this guy personally).

quote:

Seriously, my friend, I think you need to take a really hard look at your life and your outlook on women and relationships without the lens of the bible. I'm not saying give up your faith, just that you take a more critical and objective look at things in conjunction with your meditations.

I have had a lot of time to think through everything very clearly. My conscience is completely clear. Perhaps it was wrong of me to become interested in someone who had a boyfriend, so I take responsibility for that. But we had an amazing friendship and clearly could have got a long very well together. I had a feeling when I told her that it would destroy everything. It seems to me like a big tragedy. But of course it's her choice whoever she wants to be her 'friend.'

CowOnCrack fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CowOnCrack posted:

I agree with all of this. No relationship can be held together by an act of compulsion. The issue at play here is that someone can be fulfilling someone else's emotional needs but not acknowledging the existence of a relationship. This is the 'friendzone' and is willfully dishonest. The person says they have a boyfriend and are taken, and yet seem to be getting close to me, only to flip the gently caress out when I tell them you know holy crap I like you.

It's weird it's almost like people have different emotional needs that are fulfilled by different things.

• Locked thread