Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Always. Interestingly though, our company is so broke, they've decided to stop buying coffee altogether.
Looks like I'll have to keep my friends close, but my french press closer.

So a ticket came in:

Edit: I have no idea what the resolution was, I just closed it. Am I a bad person?

Call the FD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SEKCobra posted:

Call the FD?

Walked over to check if she was still there. She's gone so she must have lost enough weight over the weekend to free herself.
That or drooled enough Crisco everywhere to slip out.

larchesdanrew posted:

Guys, it finally happened.

After an unlucky lightning strike at our transmitter caused a huge budget cut and scrapping of my earlier approval for upgrades, corporate has finally REapproved upgrading our domain controller from NT to 2012. They also approved upgrading our small-business grade router (which shits itself and shuts down whenever pulling >20Mbps) to an enterprise grade firewall with filtering, antivirus, and bandwidth allocations.

I just finished making the orders and they should be here in early January.

It's a Christmas miracle :unsmith:

This is the happiest news I've gotten all month, and it doesn't even pertain to me.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is the happiest news I've gotten all month, and it doesn't even pertain to me.

I've been floating all morning. I've got visions of web filtering, software deployment, and GPOs dancing in my head.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

boydx posted:

I realize it's not as bad as Xenoletum's situation but just got told there will be no bonus this year so that's fun. Got promoted to what they call level 2.5 in here and that means I'm also ineligible for the crappy wage increase that replaced the bonus.

3rd year in a row we have had money taken away from us, overtime or whatever. Only my fault that I am still here I guess. I really need to make a move from answering the drat phone to lovely financial advisers who need everything fixed nooooooooow.

Two jobs ago I used my promotion - which was basically "you're going from pure phone and remote support with a reliable schedule and no oncall to 10k more but now you are primary go-to-the-client support with a totally unreliable schedule" - to leverage my way into a sysadmin role elsewhere.

YotJ is not a time period, it is a state of mind.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A ticket came in

Student posted:

...but I would like to get started on it now and was hoping that you could set up [my account] so I can get started on the testes now.
:mmmhmm:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in

How many do they have to run? One? Two?

Three?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

MJP posted:

How many do they have to run? One? Two?

Three?

Dunno; they didn't state who's testes they want to get started on, but presumably 2.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in

:mmmhmm:

Did they drop yet?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hungry Computer posted:

Dunno; they didn't state who's testes they want to get started on, but presumably 2.

I just hope things go well, or they'd have to get sacked.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

MJP posted:

I just hope things go well, or they'd have to get sacked.
You should really get the ball rolling on that. Don't want to leave them holding the bag.

Why are you guys looking at me like that? Guys?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I work from home doing public phone support for a certain ISP for one of their non-internet services. Recently there's been some issues getting to my particular department because the companies phone setup sucks (we'll hopefully be transitioning to something better soon) so sometimes, after attempting a few times to get to us, customers will call another department and have them transfer us over.

I get a call from a rep from another department about a really irate customer who wasn't able to get to us and I say okay, go ahead and transfer him. Guy complains some, which is understandable, but then it he starts complaining about "the trash" he had to go through to get to my department. I don't really say anything, thinking he means the automated system that hung up on him and try to assist him, but then he starts going on about having to go through the "ghetto hoodrat trash." "Those ghetto hoodrat trash are just mean." I do get him off that subject in an attempt to actually help him, but even when trying to help the guy was just an rear end in a top hat. Eventually I tell him he needs to hook up the equipment he was already given that would probably fix his problem and end the call.

Probably could have just hung up on him as soon as I realized what he meant but that's just not what I do. He threatened to cancel a couple times; hope it takes him 5 hours on the phone to get to retentions, jackass.

Nothing funny about this; just kind of venting about how much I hate people sometimes and can't wait to get a better job.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I can't imagine ISP support would be anything less than soul crushing. Even when you're not dealing with trash like that, you'd be dealing with people like my grandma would would call her ISP with every computer related issue, and occasionally non-computer technical issues.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I can't imagine ISP support would be anything less than soul crushing. Even when you're not dealing with trash like that, you'd be dealing with people like my grandma would would call her ISP with every computer related issue, and occasionally non-computer technical issues.

I don't work with customers, but I work with the people who shift through tickets escalated through the call center.

Every so often they'll call me over to gawk at a ticket, and we'll just sit there staring at it in disbelief that someone would actually call about that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I did ISP support for a while. 'Scope of Support' is your best friend.

A lot of people didn't understand why they needed to plug in their wireless modem.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Honestly, I don't even mind those calls so much. I've helped a lot of elderly people setup bookmarks related to our service and helped them connect their stuff and a couple times I helped them access their routers even though that's not technically in my scope. Unless they've been given the runaround they're generally pretty calm and easy-going. Though I have had to tell a couple people with ridiculously infected computers they need to get that fixed but that it wasn't within my ability to help them. It's not like I have some high priority jobs they're interrupting so I always help them whenever it's actually within my ability.

I really like helping people and it's really satisfying when I can fix their issues for them / with them. I'm just tired of the sheer number of people who are either just really busy or high strung or those that have the "I'm too important to be on the phone with tech support" type attitudes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What about the people who buy the poo poo-tier bottom of the rung service and then complain how much money their business is losing by it not working?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thanks Ants posted:

What about the people who buy the poo poo-tier bottom of the rung service and then complain how much money their business is losing by it not working?

Refer them to sales.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

It's an ISP but it's one of their side services so not actually directly internet related. The service is home oriented so very few people use it in their business, but I did have a customer who complained about how useless it was because she hadn't signed up for the tier that would let it do what she wanted it to do.

Anyway, while I'm still studying for the MCSA I'm also grabbing my A+ just because it's easy. Maybe I can step into a better tech role and get some hands on experience before I actually take the MCSA exams. Okay, my ranting is done now.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Renegret posted:

I don't work with customers, but I work with the people who shift through tickets escalated through the call center.

Every so often they'll call me over to gawk at a ticket, and we'll just sit there staring at it in disbelief that someone would actually call about that.

I work in an ISP call center, mostly doing offline stuff nowadays. Recently I've been doing a bunch of ticket reviews of our vendor and offshore centers.

What I'm getting at is that I can't imagine how bad working tickets that come out of an isp call center must be. There was one ticket that the entirety of the notes, troubleshooting remarks, etc was one single word. "Broken". Thanks genius.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

you ate my cat posted:

I work in an ISP call center, mostly doing offline stuff nowadays. Recently I've been doing a bunch of ticket reviews of our vendor and offshore centers.

What I'm getting at is that I can't imagine how bad working tickets that come out of an isp call center must be. There was one ticket that the entirety of the notes, troubleshooting remarks, etc was one single word. "Broken". Thanks genius.

I think I posted about this before, but we had a ticket escalated up that basically amounted to:

"Business Customer is unable to access his VPN from home. Traceroutes are provided below;

file://Customer_Computer/Documents/pictures/traceroute1.jpg
file://Customer_Computer/Documents/pictures/traceroute2.jpg"

The worst part was that it was the customer's MSP that escalated that. Files are hard, guys.

...copy and pasting text from the command line is hard too, I guess.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Renegret posted:

I think I posted about this before, but we had a ticket escalated up that basically amounted to:

"Business Customer is unable to access his VPN from home. Traceroutes are provided below;

file://Customer_Computer/Documents/pictures/traceroute1.jpg
file://Customer_Computer/Documents/pictures/traceroute2.jpg"

The worst part was that it was the customer's MSP that escalated that. Files are hard, guys.

...copy and pasting text from the command line is hard too, I guess.

Maybe no one told them about quick edit mode.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can't you also just like right click the window, do Edit->Mark->Select text -> Edit->Copy or something like that?

eta: wasn't familiar with quick edit mode, seems even faster than what I just said, which I guess is why it's called that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I learned something helpful tonight! Thanks thread!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

To piggyback off this a bit, is there ever a reason to use 'cmd' over 'powershell'? I only mention it because it defaults to quick edit mode anyway, but just in general isn't it the same functionality and then some?

I think I may have answered my own question when I typed 3 letters instead of 10 though.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

So is this or the "More poo poo that pisses you off' thread count as the rant about your job thread? I mean, I'm trying not to turn any of this into my livejournal, but jesus christ has today been an especially lovely day. And not just because of the customers.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004

Garrand posted:

So is this or the "More poo poo that pisses you off' thread count as the rant about your job thread? I mean, I'm trying not to turn any of this into my livejournal, but jesus christ has today been an especially lovely day. And not just because of the customers.

Either or both will do.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Garrand posted:

:justpost:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Garrand posted:

Examine my AV, and learn

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

In that case

I'm just tired of people from billing and sales that just straight up won't do their jobs. I know the pay all around sucks and that they get dinged for credits / disconnects, but I had a person that was very obviously faking not being able to access the biller. He really gave himself away when, after like 2 minutes of this (I got to him at about 9:56) he asks if I could call someone else because his shift was about to end. I basically told him to suck it up (in a more polite / wussy way) and take the call and all the sudden he was able to bring up the account. It wasn't even a complex call; if he had just taken it straight up he probably could have gotten off shift maybe a minute late.

Also getting straight up hung on by reps when you tell them they need to reschedule an install or someone wants to cancel their account.

There's a lot of little things like customers who have equipment delivered because they don't want to pay for a tech to install it and then bitch about their service not working even though the thing that would fix it all is still sealed up in a box and the guy who was swearing up and down that his system was broken but in the end he just didn't know how to use it. I'm used to that now. But when other techs / reps just refuse to do their own job it makes everything like 1000x worse.

Okay, seriously done venting. 2 days off and then I have to work Christmas, so I'm getting plastered.

e: After re-reading over this, the big takeaway for me is that I can deal with dumb customers and whatnot. That's what the support is there for - to help the people who have no idea what they are doing with their problems. It's just that when the people who are paid and trained(well, somewhat trained and rather poorly at that) shuffle customers around and fail at their own job it just makes the job of everyone else harder. And that infuriates me. I'm not some great miracle worker but there has yet to be a time, even with the angriest assholish customer, that I just hand off or toss him to someone else just to get him out of my hair. If it's something I can do to help, I do it.

Whatever, i need a drink.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 23, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

To piggyback off this a bit, is there ever a reason to use 'cmd' over 'powershell'? I only mention it because it defaults to quick edit mode anyway, but just in general isn't it the same functionality and then some?

I think I may have answered my own question when I typed 3 letters instead of 10 though.

Reflex, less letters, like you said.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Who got the "my internet is broken" call from North Korea today? Anyone? Anyone?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh god, the amount of times I've had to deal with this ridiculousness.

The person I dealt with took a product designed to be a a part of a distributed setup, set up each node as a production server, and was flipping out when he was down. All because he refused to let his own support people troubleshoot the issue.

I also love the ones that have no backups/redundancies and demand a refund when their server goes offline due to a single failure. It's not our fault you designed your setup where a single point of failure can take everything down.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lightning Jim posted:

I also love the ones that have no backups/redundancies and demand a refund when their server goes offline due to a single failure. It's not our fault you designed your setup where a single point of failure can take everything down.

We had identified a system with a single point of failure, so a move was made to install an A/B switch that would automatically failover in case this device failed.

Then it turned out the A/B switches had a higher rate of failure than the devices themselves and I was left scratching my head wondering why we wasted our money. But what do I know, I'm just a lowly peon.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The worst clients are other "IT People" (I use the term loosely).

There's a local IT guy who occasionally calls me in when an issue stumps him. Unfortunately as he takes on more clients he's sending me new questions on a regular basis, at this point weekly. At this point I don't think he's doing any troubleshooting at all, or using Google; his first instinct has become "email/call FreshFeesh, he's bailed me out from looking stupid in front of my clients before!"

Today's was a long rambling exposition about some sort of IMAP account set up in Outlook and how emails with attachments show a Downloading window "for a long time," followed by the inquiry (quoted for posterity): "Does the computer need more RAM to download attachments?"

It's long past time to remind him that providing support is what I charge clients for, and his inanity is at the bottom of my priority list.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Renegret posted:

We had identified a system with a single point of failure, so a move was made to install an A/B switch that would automatically failover in case this device failed.

Then it turned out the A/B switches had a higher rate of failure than the devices themselves and I was left scratching my head wondering why we wasted our money. But what do I know, I'm just a lowly peon.

Sorry, this was actual bad setup rather than a limiation of resources. This was a part of a large cluster, but the cluster had no redundancy/backups setup so if one went down the whole cluster did. How the hell you pay so much for a cluster and yet don't setup redundancy is beyond me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Inspector_666 posted:

Reflex, less letters, like you said.

I just made a shortcut to powershell named ps to solve that one.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Renegret posted:

Clearly you need to install an X/Y switch that automatically switches between your A/B switches. :v:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

sfwarlock posted:

Clearly you need to install an X/Y switch that automatically switches between your A/B switches. :v:

:v:

When I asked the manager who was training on this "Didn't we just change the location of our single point of failure?", his response was "...don't mention that to the VPs. Just don't."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A user emailed me to inform me that she couldn't log into Sharepoint. Inwardly I'm thinking about who I'm going to have to call to get it sorted out.

Actual issue: user can't open a file hosted on Sharepoint.

Cause of issue: User mistyped her own username. It is now cached, so it never occurs to her to look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A ticket didn't come in, because I've got a user here who either hates me or is too afraid of me to ever actually send me tickets/email. It's so weird, I don't even know what I should do about it. He just sent my boss an email regarding a request to pick up some non-IT equipment at a remote site 60 miles away. My boss is a part time consultant who does not go to sites ever. User knows this.

I'm now noticing a pattern. A while back he talked to my ex-coworker regarding a printing issue. I think he actually waited until I was out of the building to do this. I'm the one who primarily deals with printer issues, and seeing as my coworker promptly forgot to tell me about the issue, I didn't learn about it until 3 weeks later when he sent my boss (still not the IT list OR a ticket) an angry email asking why the issue hadn't been fixed. I can think of other similar situations as well.

He's a 40-something gay guy who I'm not particularly close with but am nothing if not professional and pleasant with him all the time. I don't get it. Is he afraid of me? Does he hate me because I'm a woman? I've dealt with enough misogynist types in this line of work that I know what to do if I encounter them, but this? I.......I don't know. :ohdear:

• Locked thread