Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Irish Joe posted:

At some point, though, isn't it the responsibility of the author to manifest their intent within the work if they want it to be read in particular way? The show's creators can toe the Korsami line all they want, but when the only time that actually shows up on screen is an ambiguous, two second shot at the end of the last episode, well.. they kinda forfeit the opportunity to dictate the message.

They literally "manifested their intent" as far as they could within the limitations imposed by Nickelodeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

The latter, Irish Joe is making abrasive posts and everyone else is posting in kind, so collectively they're doing an excellent job of showing why the thread should be gassed in a week

Nobody is making particularly abrasive posts but him. If being sarcastic to someone who is either an obvious troll or a blatant homophobe is grounds for a thread to be shut down then we should probably be closing SA any day now. (Not that I'm arguing for the thread to remain open.)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

They literally "manifested their intent" as far as they could within the limitations imposed by Nickelodeon.

We have no evidence the network imposed any limitations on the tone or content of the material. To say otherwise is mere speculation serving no other purpose than to reinforce our preferred narrative.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Irish Joe posted:

At some point, though, isn't it the responsibility of the author to manifest their intent within the work if they want it to be read in particular way? The show's creators can toe the Korsami line all they want, but when the only time that intent shows up on screen is an ambiguous, two second shot at the end of the last episode, well.. they kinda forfeit the opportunity to dictate the message.

edit: basically, the relationship should have been developed within the show, not Twitter.

It's right there in the blog that they made it as explicit as Nickelodeon would allow.

Edit: Oh I see you probably didn't actually read the posts.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Please do not respond to obviously disingenuous bullshit. If someone makes a point you disagree with that sounds reasonable and is logically stated, feel free to chat it up. Do not respond to poo poo that is clearly simple threadshitting. We only have a week left, and this is a mod-free zone. Do not loving waste energy on the collection of assholes that have shat on this thread with impunity.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Eej posted:

This made me think of how Korra could've used a Tales of Ba Sing Se episode but I don't think I actually cared about most of the characters as much.

I still think they should of done a episode following the day in the normal life of the Lieutenant.

Have him drive to work to his low paying non-bender job but gets there late because Team Avatar in a chase tore up the road on the way to work in front of him, then deal with some bender bullies, point some nonbenders towards the equalist movement, then at the end have this plain clothed mustache man don his uniform.

Then promptly get knocked off a building by Team Avatar, cue credits.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody is making particularly abrasive posts but him. If being sarcastic to someone who is either an obvious troll or a blatant homophobe is grounds for a thread to be shut down then we should probably be closing SA any day now. (Not that I'm arguing for the thread to remain open.)
It doesn't exactly raise the quality of discourse regardless of the provocation. And it inevitable just makes the person you're responding too post more in kind. So if anything it drags it down.

I'd like the thread to remain open. New people will gradually trickle in, surely? I mean the series has some huge word of mouth boost now what with the same sex romance in the ending and all the media attention that seems to have garnered. I want to see what people new to the series/franchise have to say and think. It would be a shame to just have the thread dragged out back and summarily executed Jan 1st because of this kind of thing.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

At some point, though, isn't it the responsibility of the author to manifest their intent within the work if they want it to be read in particular way? The show's creators can toe the Korsami line all they want, but when the only time that intent shows up on screen is an ambiguous, two second shot at the end of the last episode, well.. they kinda forfeit the opportunity to dictate the message.

edit: basically, the relationship should have been developed within the show, not Twitter.

It was developed within the show, you just stupidly disputed the fact every step of the way.

Bryan Konietzko posted:

If it seems out of the blue to you, I think a second viewing of the last two seasons would show that perhaps you were looking at it only through a hetero lens.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

It was developed within the show, you just stupidly disputed the fact every step of the way.

Please do not waste energy responding to threadshitting.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Please do not waste energy responding to threadshitting.

Oh hey look, someone thinks he's the Kuvira of the thread.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Does this mean Irish Joe was in my employ the entire time?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Some should make a new thread in ADTRW next year.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

Quiet, Opal. Adults are talking.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm so glad the show didn't do that.

It's amazing that after Season 2 a character becoming Hitler is preferable to a character becoming Unalaq.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Irish Joe is Meelo. Just farting all over the thread and annoying people.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

It really wasn't, though. The show never bridged the gap between Assami the good friend and Assami the love interest. Any outward sign of affection presented earlier than the very last minute would have gone a long way towards setting the groundwork for the gay interpretation.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

Torquemadras posted:

There's another saying that applies here... "War is the father of all things." And that certainly holds true in the Avatar world - just look at the crazy stuff Hiroshi invented for the Equalists, all the revolutionairy technology the Fire Nation introduced world-wide only during the course of the show, and all those fancy improved robosuits and spirit weapons by Kuvira (not to mention the Colossus). As long as there is conflict, people will evolve. And we all know what was going on when countries in the last century got inventive on an unprecedented scale, no?

Could be an interesting background (and ongoing problem) for the next Avatar...

This is true. And to that end, we can see that many war machines can be developed similarly, even if in a steampunkish, form (humming birds? really?) However, I'd like to think that, as a society, we have developed more since the industrial revolution than just making better kill machines. Things like bulldozers, electrical substations, irrigation machines, and the like seem to be less needed in the avatar world, or at least used in a different way. Think of hydro-electric power. We get that from damns. But in the avatar world, this could be accomplished from water benders or from firebenders shooting electricity into a conductor (as we see Mako do early in the series).

Another aspect is world population. Much of our development is on fitting 6-7 billion people on this earth. So high rises and mass production of necessities will occur. I've always believed that the avatar universe had a much smaller population. Sure, Republic city was heavily populated, but probably not as high as NY or LA or the plethora of other cities around the world with even higher populations. Republic City seemed like it supported a population of 5 million or less--based on nothing other than me randomly estimating.

A final aspect is the general unity of the nations, in that there are only four of them. While they might not agree on everything, it's much different that the massive collection of countries we have that all have their own motives.

This is a somewhat long digression on a minor point, but to me, it's better than trying to argue that Korra and Asami aren't a couple--especially after Mike and Bryan's posts.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

I'm gonna come right out and admit that I loved Meelo as long as he wasn't farting. His inexplicable artistic talent made me laugh even though it was dumb.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

Nah, Meelo was occasionally entertaining and useful.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

qbert posted:

Edit: Oh I see you probably didn't actually read the posts.

The post said, literally, "the network was supportive."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

It really wasn't, though. The show never bridged the gap between Assami the good friend and Assami the love interest. Any outward sign of affection presented earlier than the very last minute would have gone a long way towards setting the groundwork for the gay interpretation.

When 90% of the thread got the hint early on, and you didn't, you might want to just admit that you were wrong.

Irish Joe posted:

No it didn't, it said that they were supportive, up to a point.

quote:

We approached the network and while they were supportive there was a limit to how far we could go with it, as just about every article I read accurately deduced.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

quote:

and while they were supportive there was a limit to how far we could go with it,

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

DJPress posted:

This is true. And to that end, we can see that many war machines can be developed similarly, even if in a steampunkish, form (humming birds? really?) However, I'd like to think that, as a society, we have developed more since the industrial revolution than just making better kill machines. Things like bulldozers, electrical substations, irrigation machines, and the like seem to be less needed in the avatar world, or at least used in a different way. Think of hydro-electric power. We get that from damns. But in the avatar world, this could be accomplished from water benders or from firebenders shooting electricity into a conductor (as we see Mako do early in the series).
Even Spirit Energy can apparently be used to provide a tremendous amount of pollution free power despite also being useful for super weapons. So yeah. Why not spirit energy reactors?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The latter, Irish Joe is making abrasive posts and everyone else is posting in kind, so collectively they're doing an excellent job of showing why the thread should be gassed in a week

I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe the moderators should try probating the people making GBS threads up threads for once in an attempt at fixing them instead of shrugging and clicking 'gas'.

Since doing that in no end of threads I've watched over the years has accomplished nothing, the people just move on to a different thread and continue ruining discussions.

Or is probating people under the instruction that if they return to the thread that got them probated they will be banned complicated or something? It certainly sounds better for good discussions on the forums.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 23, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Even Spirit Energy can apparently be used to provide a tremendous amount of pollution free power despite also being useful for super weapons. So yeah. Why not spirit energy reactors?

Well, provided you don't mind pissed-off spirits eating people on occasion. And what self-respecting megacorp would?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

I presume because harvesting spirit vines pissed spirits off a whole loving lot.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I presume because harvesting spirit vines pissed spirits off a whole loving lot.

Not enough for them to bother helping Korra to stop Kuvira and her spirit vine powered army. Or to intervene in any way.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I dunno, it pissed off the vines, but if the spirits cared so much, wouldn't they have been happy to fight Kuvira?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Honestly, that one creator's tumblr post was kind of interesting in that it seemed to suggest that if they'd actually just come to the Network about it right away, they could have pushed to make it more explicit earlier. They were apparently just assuming through the duration of season 3 that it wouldn't be allowed, so they deliberately made Korra and Asami's scenes have more than one valid interpretation. That's not what I would have expected.

For me it works anyway though. Korra's way too distracted in the last episode of Book 3 to have that on her mind, even if Asami does. At least that's how I read it.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 23, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jesto posted:

I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe the moderators should try probating the people making GBS threads up threads for once in an attempt at fixing them instead of shrugging and clicking 'gas'.

Since doing that in no end of threads I've watched over the years has accomplished nothing, the people just move on to a different thread and continue ruining discussions.

Or is probating people under the instruction that if they return to the thread that got them probated they will be banned complicated or something?
Any attempt to go "hey can you actually moderate the Korra thread" gets met with "lol dumb babys don't want people telling them to grow up and stop watching cartoons."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

When 90% of the thread got the hint early on, and you didn't, you might want to just admit that you were wrong.

Can you point to a single instance before the finale where Korra expresses more than a friendly interest in Assami?

quote:

No it didn't, it said that they were supportive, up to a point.

Supportive meaning they were on board with the whole gay thing, so why draw the point below where that message becomes explicit? Further, if its okay for them to hold hands in the finale, why wouldn't it be okay for them to do so early, or for Korra to otherwise express more than friendly feelings towards Assami at any point before the finale?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm just gonna say it. If the spirits want to be in the human world they can contribute like everyone else, or they can get the gently caress out . :colbert:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Can you point to a single instance before the finale where Korra expresses more than a friendly interest in Assami?

Writing letters only to her and none of her other friends or family?

Irish Joe posted:

Supportive meaning they were on board with the whole gay thing, so why draw the point below where that message becomes explicit? Further, if its okay for them to hold hands in the finale, why wouldn't it be okay for them to do so early, or for Korra to otherwise express more than friendly feelings towards Assami at any point before the finale?

What do you think "there was a limit to how far we could go with it" meant, then?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Writing letters only to her and none of her other friends or family?
When Irish Joe says something, he actually means the opposite. The man making the posts literally agrees with you, he just likes aggravating people. Stop fueling his idiot trollboner that the mods just loving love to see him stroke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

When Irish Joe says something, he actually means the opposite. The man making the posts literally agrees with you, he just likes aggravating people. Stop fueling his idiot trollboner that the mods just loving love to see him stroke.

Relax, dude. Nobody actually thinks he's posting in good faith.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Relax, dude. Nobody actually thinks he's posting in good faith.

No kidding, I'm finding SHM's dictums on how to post far more annoying than Irish Joe, right now.

SpiderHyphenMan, you're not a mod or the OP, please stop telling me how to post.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Just realized Korra dated her entire Team Avatar. drat, girl.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Insulting homophobes and insulting posters who pretend to be homophobes is roughly equally satisfying, so I don't see the problem.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Insulting homophobes and insulting posters who pretend to be homophobes is roughly equally satisfying
I disagree fundamentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Just realized Korra dated her entire Team Avatar. drat, girl.

Bolin may have considered what they were doing as a date, but Korra clearly didn't.

• Locked thread