Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
The re-education camps really shouldn't have been possible within 100 years of the Dai Li being a thing. It would be like someone in Germany trying to rally support for confiscating all the weapons of a particular group of people and cataloguing them sometime in the past decade. Really? :what:

The camps absolutely ruined Kuvira as a character with motivations. She might as well have been moustache twirling at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

This is as sad as all those times JK Rowling comes around and says in an interview that her books really meant x thing. It's always interesting to see creators get in on the fan fiction business.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jesto posted:

The re-education camps really shouldn't have been possible within 100 years of the Dai Li being a thing. It would be like someone in Germany trying to rally support for confiscating all the weapons of a particular group of people and cataloguing them sometime in the past decade. Really? :what:

The camps absolutely ruined Kuvira as a character with motivations. She might as well have been moustache twirling at that point.

I don't think the Dai Li were really a thing outside of Ba Sing Se though.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jesto posted:

Considering the monarchy was still in power and using the Dai Li in Korra's time, I'm not so sure that whole thing would have been exposed to the public. Your analogy would only work if present-day Germany still had a fuhrer with toned-down Nazi enforcers.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I never thought we'd get something with as much schadenfreude as Zutara but here we are six years later.

quote:

I feel betrayed

I have nothing against Korrasami ,it´s a great way to represent and show the audience how deep and beautiful femenine friendship is and that sometimes it can evolve into something bigger, but I feel betrayed because for me never in the writing there was this special moment in which you realize they are deeply in love , because every interaction they had in the books I saw them just as friendship. If they had given us a more solid devolpment or more focus on their friendship evolving into something more I will be fine with Korrasami but it came out of nowhere for me.

After shipping Makorra for 3 seasons and then having clear evidence about them not being over each other I had my hopes high. I though after the breakup of book 2 they will eventually be together again because it will made no sense to have them separated at the end if at the ending of book 1 they were so head over heels for each other. It´s illogical for me. I was so excited about them, about the potential they had…

Because another thing I dislike is unclear writing, lack of evidence that´s why I feel betrayed and dissapointed…
#I feel betrayed#lok#korra#korrasami

Good times, y'all.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hauldren Collider posted:

Lol, you're an idiot who can't read.

What didn't I read properly? You don't like anime because you don't like Japan and you're proud of it. I'm not saying you're Hitler here, you don't have to like anime, but don't expect a statement like that to be respected

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

What didn't I read properly? You don't like anime because you don't like Japan and you're proud of it. I'm not saying you're Hitler here, you don't have to like anime, but don't expect a statement like that to be respected

Let me amend this. Lol, you're an idiot who can read, but can't comprehend what you are reading.

e: Let me give you a hint: It was a bit of self-deprecating humor. I don't like anime because I don't really "get" the stuff that basically requires understanding Japanese culture. I turned this into a joke aimed at myself accusing myself of being provincial.

Thanks for playing! :bravo:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

The Colbert avatar makes this.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

I mean at that point just come out and say you don't like any of it because of guilt by association, and don't particularly care about any individual show's actual transgressions. That's what 90% of the complaints about it seem to be. Which is fine, but don't act like it's anything else

As for FMA I really think the complaints about the humor are overblown by people going in insisting on finding something to hate. It's a little obnoxious, but compared to like Spongebob or something it's not bad. It's literally a show for 14 year olds. It's not going to be written like Game of Thrones

You're absolutely entitled not to like whatever, but people making stupid statements should be called out on it. If you're coming at this from a feminist perspective that video games, comics, anime, etc, are all terrible, then yes you're right, but if it's just 'anime lol' then people don't make those criticisms of non-Japanese media despite being almost as bad on the whole.

I didn't say I don't like any of it. Almost that entire post was highlighting an anime I do like. And absolutely, games, comics and television and movies and all sorts of fiction still has problems, though I'd argue that the popular forms of those mediums are a lot further along in grappling with it than most anime seems to be.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
lol people got pretty mad when I posted that picture of the bi-colored mountains

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688964&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post439222857

wonder if anyone will rethink that position now that the creators came out and said the ending was for empowering LGBT

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Akumos posted:

lol people got pretty mad when I posted that picture of the bi-colored mountains

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688964&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post439222857

wonder if anyone will rethink that position now that the creators came out and said the ending was for empowering LGBT
You posted in GBS. Why would you do that?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

This is as sad as all those times JK Rowling comes around and says in an interview that her books really meant x thing. It's always interesting to see creators get in on the fan fiction business.

I'm not sure that's a valid argument - postmodernism doesn't really have a place in children's cartoons. The Dumbledore => gay thing was after a while, and it was mostly silly because there was NOTHING at all in the books/movie that implied it - whereas there's a really strong implication throughout the entirety of Book 4. Plus, there's the fact that BOTH main creators posted literal days afterwards. I really don't see how JK is relevant.

Also, the only difference between fan fiction and fiction is a publishing house (and sometimes quality), mate. It's not really fan fiction when it's the original author(s).

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

T-man posted:

I'm not sure that's a valid argument - postmodernism doesn't really have a place in children's cartoons. The Dumbledore => gay thing was after a while, and it was mostly silly because there was NOTHING at all in the books/movie that implied it - whereas there's a really strong implication throughout the entirety of Book 4. Plus, there's the fact that BOTH main creators posted literal days afterwards. I really don't see how JK is relevant.

Also, the only difference between fan fiction and fiction is a publishing house (and sometimes quality), mate. It's not really fan fiction when it's the original author(s).

Haha, I actually was not even thinking about the dumbledore thing. She's said a whole bunch of other stuff over the years too, like neville marrying some chick and whatnot. Though I would argue that right up until that very final 30 seconds there was not a whole lot to go on for korra and asami being lesbians, and even then it was reasonably ambiguous.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

The reeducation camps were a bit much, though. Didn't need that, really. But it's still believable to see Kuvira as someone who was going too far. Road to hell paved with good intentions and all that.

I think it's perfectly in character, because one of Kuvira's key traits is that she has no mercy for anyone she perceives as insufficiently devoted to her side (it's amazing how many statements about Kuvira can be followed up with "just like Korra in season 2").

Rounding up the fire and waterbenders seemed like it was only there to hit some arbitrary Hitler quota though.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

You are really angry about queer characters being present in your not-anime shows.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Jesto posted:

I saw it as an extension of her attitude to everything, "agree with me or get out of the way." She never was shown to have a major ideological goal beyond imposing her version of order on everything. "Causing trouble/getting in my way? Off to the camps!"

It's still obviously morally reprehensible, but thematically it fits with Kuvira being a similar person to Korra at heart, just unrestrained and unguided by friends/magical Avatar wisdom. The logical endpoint of Korra's MO for most of the series was physically removing any obstacles to what she wanted. The camps are showing how S2 Korra might've acted if she had royal Water Tribe authority from her father and could command an army. Lets face it, without the guidance of her friends and mentors and with a political power base, Korra easily could've become a dictator Avatar.

It's easy to immediately go to Hitler when you think about historical dictators, but not all of them were motivated by ethnic ideologies that called for the genocide of the state's own citizens - look at Rome for plenty of examples. Kuvira is way more Sulla than Hitler.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 23, 2014

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I never thought we'd get something with as much schadenfreude as Zutara but here we are six years later.

Good times, y'all.

Man, what is it with shippers trying to make a fire/waterbending thing happen?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

readingatwork posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Kovira didn't just make "Spirit Nukes" and drop them from planes. Seems the simplest and most effective option to me.

I was going to post this, actually. Like, the first thing I'd have thought of after seeing a spirit vine go "boom" after being zapped a bit is "Okay, let's put this on a plane", not "Build me a death laser and put it on a robot." I mean, they have planes and airships and so on. What happened to the air force in this world?

If we wanted Kuvira to go maximum Hitler, she could've put spirit-nukes on V2 rockets and rained spiritual terror on anyone who opposed her! The object for the heroes would then be a desperate assault on her most well-guarded missile launch sites!

... come to think of it, metalbenders can levitate metal stuff. Why can't they just fly around atop hovering sheets of metal, then? They could gather together like a thousand metalbenders and levitate some sort of gigantic flying metal fortress, powered by thousands of suited men doing kung fu forms in giant rotating hamster-wheels!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Metalbenders can't bend the metal they're riding on that way because they would lose their connection to the ground.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrSunshine posted:

I was going to post this, actually. Like, the first thing I'd have thought of after seeing a spirit vine go "boom" after being zapped a bit is "Okay, let's put this on a plane", not "Build me a death laser and put it on a robot." I mean, they have planes and airships and so on. What happened to the air force in this world?

Airships you have a reasonable expectation, but it seems like all the planes we saw were WW1 era fighters, not bombers.

Honestly given the test mechanism I was expecting an artillery - it's long range (so you can guard it easily) and it still does massive damage. Make a half dozen of those and spread them out and no one will be able to stop you.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I was going to post this, actually. Like, the first thing I'd have thought of after seeing a spirit vine go "boom" after being zapped a bit is "Okay, let's put this on a plane", not "Build me a death laser and put it on a robot."
Kuvira did say that she did this (put the Earth Empire under her boot) to create a safe place where her people would be safe. Bombing a city to smithereens would have killed her people and instantly destroyed the city. The laser was mostly there as a show of power and events unfolded at the start like she wanted them to (Blow up some ships, President Raiko surrenders) until Bataar Jr got captured.
I think it would've been a little too dark (darker than a murder-suicide and regicide?) to show the atomic bombing of a city, especially one heavily influenced on Asian cultures

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DrSunshine posted:

If we wanted Kuvira to go maximum Hitler, she could've put spirit-nukes on V2 rockets and rained spiritual terror on anyone who opposed her! The object for the heroes would then be a desperate assault on her most well-guarded missile launch sites!

... come to think of it, metalbenders can levitate metal stuff. Why can't they just fly around atop hovering sheets of metal, then? They could gather together like a thousand metalbenders and levitate some sort of gigantic flying metal fortress, powered by thousands of suited men doing kung fu forms in giant rotating hamster-wheels!

I've... actually thought about this (oh god I'm a sperg) and I think I know why. When earthbenders lift really heavy stuff (see Bolin in the final), we seem them be physically distressed - there's some amount of physical effort going into the magical kung-fu stuff. Presumably, it holds true for metal benders - trying to metalbend yourself to flight would be 1) difficult to keep balanced and 2) physically tiring - presumably it'd be like doing a whole-body chinup for however long you had to fly.

Not going to lie, I'd kill for a Science Of The Avatarverse like what Discworld did where it's Verrick explaining crazy rear end machinery powered by bending. Presumably there'd be some kind of energy-bending can opener or something.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

It's easy to immediately go to Hitler when you think about historical dictators, but not all of them were motivated by ethnic ideologies that called for the genocide of the state's own citizens - look at Rome for plenty of examples. Kuvira is way more Sulla than Hitler.

It's easy to immediately go to Hitler because that's where the art direction goes. The art direction for all of the Earth Empire, from haircuts to railguns, to the masks on the troopers and stuff, is all pretty blatant.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Well, I suppose she could've nuked someplace outside the city.

If it were a 20 episode season, it could've climaxed with an invasion (and nuking) of the Fire Nation!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

Kuvira did say that she did this (put the Earth Empire under her boot) to create a safe place where her people would be safe. Bombing a city to smithereens would have killed her people and instantly destroyed the city. The laser was mostly there as a show of power and events unfolded at the start like she wanted them to (Blow up some ships, President Raiko surrenders) until Bataar Jr got captured.
I think it would've been a little too dark (darker than a murder-suicide and regicide?) to show the atomic bombing of a city, especially one heavily influenced on Asian cultures

The series started out as a whole on a literal genocide, they can just put a bunch of parachutes in the scene and they'll be fine

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I saw the updates and was like wow 200 new posts on the thread on SA! People must be really celebrating!

And then I saw the thread, once again, is a mess.

So here's more cute fan art:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

0/5, not enough nuclear holocaust. :colbert:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Rosalind posted:

I saw the updates and was like wow 200 new posts on the thread on SA! People must be really celebrating!

And then I saw the thread, once again, is a mess.

So here's more cute fan art:

Please keep posting. Fanart is a third of what a good thread should be.
(The other parts are sperging and meta analysis).

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Well, I suppose she could've nuked someplace outside the city.

If it were a 20 episode season, it could've climaxed with an invasion (and nuking) of the Fire Nation!
If only we got a focus episode on Kuvira. :allears: I honestly wanted to know where she was planning on stopping. Was it just the Earth Kingdom or did she have plans to pull an Ozai?
Plus, it would've been nice to see her time as a child at the orphanage and then with Su.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Since the creators seem pretty chatty on social media, could someone ask them "Hey what was going to be in the cut episode, if you can tell us"? I'd bet it was Kuvira Alone, maybe her reflecting on her life and paralleling Korra Alone.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What kind of hard-hitting and controversial topics would a modern-setting Avatar world deal with? I mean, with LOK we clearly had a fairly political tone with the same strains that were prevalent in our own early 20th century -- anarchism and worker unrest, the rise of revanchist, nationalist politics, the collapse of monarchies and so on. It even touched on things like environmental degradation, the rise of mass media, and isolationism.

Would a modern Avatar have to deal with global climate change? Peak spirit energy? Fundamentalist extremist Water tribe spiritualists committing acts of terror?

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007

T-man posted:

Please keep posting. Fanart is a third of what a good thread should be.
(The other parts are sperging and meta analysis).
Fanart can get a bit...odd... sometimes

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Miss Nomer posted:

Fanart can get a bit...odd... sometimes

I like that they even superimposed a Bolin head on Bolin.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Speaking of fanart:

What might've been.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

It's not fan art, but Asami is now listed as Korra's girlfriend on Wikipedia. There was a huge edit war over the past few days and a debate that must be tens of thousands of words long, but the statements finally provided the evidence needed to keep it in the article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korra_%28The_Legend_of_Korra%29

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ambivalent posted:

It's easy to immediately go to Hitler because that's where the art direction goes. The art direction for all of the Earth Empire, from haircuts to railguns, to the masks on the troopers and stuff, is all pretty blatant.

Yeah, reminder that the railgun is literally a Nazi superweapon.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rosalind posted:

It's not fan art, but Asami is now listed as Korra's girlfriend on Wikipedia. There was a huge edit war over the past few days and a debate that must be tens of thousands of words long, but the statements finally provided the evidence needed to keep it in the article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korra_%28The_Legend_of_Korra%29

There are literally pages of back and forth on the talk page about that one edit. It's beautiful. :allears:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Eej posted:

Yeah, reminder that the railgun is literally a Nazi superweapon.

I found the haircuts a little more damning. Hitler Youth cuts were pretty prominent on Bataar Jr.

Which you could argue is just because Sokka is his grandfather (he totally could be...) and Sokka had a similar cut, but that argument falls a little flat when you see like a 1/3 of all of the Earth Empire soldiers have the same cut.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cHIhdSFyJk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

This needs an obnoxiously loud shouting warning.

• Locked thread