Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We're going to be getting some more Avatar comics next year (yaaay,) and art books for Books 3 and 4 of Korra. And of course we have the Book 4 blu-ray to look forward to (Book 3 is already out!) But other than that, this franchise is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

We're going to be getting some more Avatar comics next year (yaaay,) and art books for Books 3 and 4 of Korra. And of course we have the Book 4 blu-ray to look forward to (Book 3 is already out!) But other than that, this franchise is done.

Good. I'm glad they could go out with a highly ambiguous ending that left lots of room for discussion instead of a giving us hard closure.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I've been down on the show - and still am, awesome as the last episode was - and I almost hate the show more for how bad it was at emphasizing a really interesting element in Book 4.

It's not as on-the-nose as Korrasami, but the narrative of an orphaned Kuvira being taken in by Suyin, but never de facto adopted, makdes her almost orphaned twice over. When Korra, the World's guardian, disappears, Kuvira tries to step in to take her role, trying to become something she never felt she had. And of course she fucks it up. And then there's Su's history of abdicating responsibility in the Earth Kingdom on top of that - which is something I'm sure upsets Kuvira once more, as Korra disappears and creates a similar vaccuum. Mommy issues all the way down.

The weird quasi-relationship with Kuvira and Su is made even clearer in how Su forgives Bataar, Kuvira's loving partner in crime, at the end, but gives Kuvira the bad-woman treatment. It made Kuvira's interaction with Korra all the more emotional in retrospect.

Instead, we just got the Strong Leader fascism stick that was even more on the nose than Korrasami.

(It's also funny to consider how the biggest villain of the Avatar universe is probably to some extent the result of lovely parenting from quasi-grandmother Toph.)

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 23, 2014

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

ufarn posted:

Mommy issues all the way down.

Talked this over with some others who'd watched it and we came to a lot of similar notions, but I hadn't even really made the leap to consider how Toph could be indirectly linked to Kuvira, so that's a good point, haha.

People in this thread seem really really hard on ATLA's 'filler', but I think the lack of filler is part of what hurts Korra so much. Everything seems like they never had enough time, and characters never have time to breathe. 'Filler' is a stage where characters do things and interact. Just because it isn't 'plot' doesn't mean it isn't doing anything in service to the narrative. LoK almost feels claustrophobic in comparison to ATLA.

That said, I felt Korra's wandering in Book 4 was really drawn out and never really landed with me, and as hasty as the rest of the Book was, I wonder if that time couldn't have been spent wiser. The stuff in the swamp felt really redundant and not terribly revelatory, especially when you have the later encounter with Zaheer.

Also, really voting in favor of whichever poster said they should never have brought up 're-education camps'. Kuvira could have been handled with a lot more subtlety.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The thing about the filler is that I just didn't find Korra's world all that interesting. There's both character building and world building filler, and with AtLA the characters were better written and the world was more novel, while with Korra the character stuff was Mako and Korra romance and the worldbuilding was Pro Bending, which I couldn't bring myself to give a poo poo about at all.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just as there were shippers, there were people crossing their fingers that the writers wouldn't gently caress up Kuvira as a character.

At least it worked out for Korrasami.

But as said, if there's something worse than bad writing, it's a good story written badly, and they sure hosed up Kuvira, at a point where everyone hoped that she would go on to become one of the best villains in Avatar. Zelda Williams also deserves all the respect and praise in the world for her amazing voice acting, which - much in the tradition of Avatar - made the character.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

icantfindaname posted:

The thing about the filler is that I just didn't find Korra's world all that interesting. There's both character building and world building filler, and with AtLA the characters were better written and the world was more novel, while with Korra the character stuff was Mako and Korra romance and the worldbuilding was Pro Bending, which I couldn't bring myself to give a poo poo about at all.
Zao Fu seemed ideal for filler.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I think filler stops being filler when it actually adds something to the plot and/or character development. Then it's not filler, it's just good story-telling. What you guys are asking for are more instances of good storytelling, not Korra & Co go to the ramen shop and have some laughs.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like LoK even the earlier seasons that didn't really live up to its potential, but I felt season 4 ended just about as well as we could hope. :ohdear:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pro bending is seriously the dumbest thing and I have no idea how it made it to production. It's a bending fight, only with all the interesting parts of a bending fight taken out.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

Pro bending is seriously the dumbest thing and I have no idea how it made it to production. It's a bending fight, only with all the interesting parts of a bending fight taken out.
I think the pro bending episode in S1 was actually one of the better ones, personally. Pro bending served as an excellent characterization tool by a) establishing Bolin and Mako, how they became good benders, how they met Korra, their background, etc, and b) as a vehicle for Korra to establish how she was going to break with tradition, rebel against Tenzin, and establish her own identity.

It was very effective at setting up how the new Korra world was different from the old Avatar world, and introducing the characters.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just imagine if Kuvira was on the Zaheer hunting team with Korra and they did the whole first part of the orphan story there (ie before she ditches Su) as just conversation with Korra. Over season 3 they find common ground over their desire to make the world a better place, Kuvira respects Korra for her power and vice versa for Kuvira's conviction. Then boom season 4 happens and we already know who Kuvira is and the "gone for 3 years line" has a lot more immediate impact.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

TheKingofSprings posted:

A remake of the original will happen 20 years from now.
I've got the perfect director in mind.... anyone but M. Night Shyamalan

I loved all the call backs but my favorite one was of Aang at the sushi shop

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Miss Nomer posted:

I loved all the call backs but my favorite one was of Aang at the sushi shop

Zack Snyder's Avatar: The Legend of Korra

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Michael Bay's Legend of Korra would be over-the-top as gently caress.

Korra would be played by a white woman in blacktan-face.

God I hope we never get another live-action avatar korra movie (and we won't, thank God). There are just so many ways to gently caress up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

Friedberg and Seltzer would be a great pick imo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

nutranurse posted:

Seriously, anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out. It's good, not good for an anime, just good.

It's the best coming-of-age story I've seen in a cartoon.
Yeah its either this or Eureka 7, but I think FLCL wins because it doesn't have annoying kids

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Eej posted:

Just imagine if Kuvira was on the Zaheer hunting team with Korra and they did the whole first part of the orphan story there (ie before she ditches Su) as just conversation with Korra. Over season 3 they find common ground over their desire to make the world a better place, Kuvira respects Korra for her power and vice versa for Kuvira's conviction. Then boom season 4 happens and we already know who Kuvira is and the "gone for 3 years line" has a lot more immediate impact.
There's a lot of little tweaks to the series I'm sure they'd make in retrospect. A lot of stuff was done on the fly, they didn't have four seasons of material written from the get-go. The ones I would have made would have been making it more evident from the get-go that the Red Lotus were basically the "Big Bads" of Korra. In fact, I'd have had it revealed at the end of season one that Amon was a member and the Equalists were all a Red Lotus ploy to tear down existing power structures. Unalaq would have been a Red Lotus member as well, using his position in order to advance the motives of the group... But in reality he's a traitor, in it for personal power, not for liberation or freedom. It would have made season three, when the Red Lotus leaders broke out, a lot more intense, and season four would basically be the world recovering from their schemes.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

pentyne posted:

People in TVIV have it pretty good as far as mods go. The ADTRW forum knows to toe the line and not get too weird or bans start dropping left and right, and none of the other mods care enough to reverse them.

I thought pedophiles liked getting treated like children.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Unalaq would have been a Red Lotus member as well, using his position in order to advance the motives of the group... But in reality he's a traitor, in it for personal power, not for liberation or freedom.
Unalaq was Red Lotus... too bad it was a retcon.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Jackard posted:

Unalaq was Red Lotus... too bad it was a retcon.
Like I said, the sort of tweaks they'd make if they could do it over again.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

That's... alright, but S1-3 Korra would still be aimless and reactionary.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The general premises of seasons one and two, that is how do people react to being ruled by people with magic powers in an increasingly technologically advanced world as well as what role do the spirits play in the world, are good ones, each developing and changing the world significantly. The execution of the premises might have varied in quality, but they aren't inherently flawed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Actually I really didn't like Amon being a bender all along!!! since it sweeps the actual issues the non-benders had under the rug because they were being manipulated by an Evil Bender. Sure we got democracy and non-bender President Raiko out of it but it still seems really hollow cause the non-bender/bender divide is never brought up ever again. Season 2 is a little better about it actually,. even though it doesn't really resolve the spiritual divide between the progressive and conservative factions of the Water tribe and it villainizes the latter because it's controlled by Unalak. At least the world feels lasting consequences of Korra's solution to the lack of spirituality in the world by forcing the spirits to live with humans again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

Actually I really didn't like Amon being a bender all along!!! since it sweeps the actual issues the non-benders had under the rug because they were being manipulated by an Evil Bender. Sure we got democracy and non-bender President Raiko out of it but it still seems really hollow cause the non-bender/bender divide is never brought up ever again. Season 2 is a little better about it actually,. even though it doesn't really resolve the spiritual divide between the progressive and conservative factions of the Water tribe and it villainizes the latter because it's controlled by Unalak. At least the world feels lasting consequences of Korra's solution to the lack of spirituality in the world by forcing the spirits to live with humans again.

That issue was always misunderstood by people and keeps pretending the abusive wealthy non-bender Hiroshi Sato is actually completely justified. Somehow people are so desperate to have the story they wanted in that they're willing to make up fanfiction which justifies a rich person's personal grudge that abuses poor and downtrodden people as a convenient scapegoat for their own excesses.

Everyone does their best to ignore that it isn't a bender/non-bender divide, that is just the argument the equalists use. It's two groups of wealthy individuals using the poor as pawns in their games for power. There was inequality there but the bender issue was only a part of it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 23, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Nonbenders can just get freaky, crippling powers from spirit possession.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Speaking of non-benders did Asami even get to give anyone the shocker in Season 4. My friend once told me that Korra would've been better if they just merged Mako and Asami together into a jet packing, lightning gloving non-bender who has a tempestuous on and off relationship with Korra.

I like that idea.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Eej posted:

Speaking of non-benders did Asami even get to give anyone the shocker in Season 4. My friend once told me that Korra would've been better if they just merged Mako and Asami together into a jet packing, lightning gloving non-bender who has a tempestuous on and off relationship with Korra.

I like that idea.

Didn't she zap somebody in that episode where they were looking for Wu? I might be misremembering, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

I like that idea.

Yes, she shocked a guy while they were fighting to protect Wu on the train.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

My biggest regret is that Asami didn't shockglove more suckers.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Reene posted:

My biggest regret is that Asami didn't shockglove more suckers.
I wish Asami invented a new gadget every year so the playing-field got more even every time she fights benders. Like, the shock-glove is a start, but she should have added rocket boots and a net-gun and other cool stuff and eventually she'd just single-handedly beat an entire group of benders in season four, like Avatar-World Batgirl

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reene posted:

My biggest regret is that Bolin didn't lava more things.

it's the space sword all over again

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

I wish Asami invented a new gadget every year so the playing-field got more even every time she fights benders. Like, the shock-glove is a start, but she should have added rocket boots and a net-gun and other cool stuff and eventually she'd just single-handedly beat an entire group of benders in season four, like Avatar-World Batgirl
That would have been cool and good.

Also I'd like to say again how this show needed longer episodes, which of course was never going to happen, but if you're going to tell a tightly serialized story, the hour-long format is indisputably the way to go.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 23, 2014

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I was rewatching B4 today as a whole, and I was wondering what the consensus is on Korra's hair. I think it looks better shorter, and that Kuveria's hair is better when it's let down. Thoughts?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

T-man posted:

I was rewatching B4 today as a whole, and I was wondering what the consensus is on Korra's hair. I think it looks better shorter, and that Kuveria's hair is better when it's let down. Thoughts?

Korra's best hair was end of season 2, but season 4's is probably the next best after.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I really wanted Asami to go full-tilt Batman and start packing grappling hooks and gas pellets in her usual arsenal.

ImpAtom posted:

That issue was always misunderstood by people and keeps pretending the abusive wealthy non-bender Hiroshi Sato is actually completely justified. Somehow people are so desperate to have the story they wanted in that they're willing to make up fanfiction which justifies a rich person's personal grudge that abuses poor and downtrodden people as a convenient scapegoat for their own excesses.

Everyone does their best to ignore that it isn't a bender/non-bender divide, that is just the argument the equalists use. It's two groups of wealthy individuals using the poor as pawns in their games for power. There was inequality there but the bender issue was only a part of it.
By any standard, benders have a type of privilege that non-benders don't. "Well I can shoot fire and you can't, but you're richer than me so you have no right to complain!" isn't how privilege works. It was jarring for this show to not ever really examine that, especially coming off of ATLA, which seemed like a show that did tend to examine those things. More to the point, it's just really jarring in general, period, for any sort of modern narrative to be in total support of a side that does have privilege when the conflict in question centers specifically on that privilege, whilst presenting those without that privilege (again, the one that is specifically being debated on in the context of the plot) as just being a literal army of whiny malcontents without any real cause.

The Equalists were never going to be "right," but the fact is that these wrong people's intense ideologies shouldn't have been resolved the way that it did. Their entire complaint was that benders oppress and manipulate the less powerful. How was revealing that they were being oppressed and manipulated by a bender all this time supposed to prove them wrong?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I liked Korra's s4 hair best. But I'm biased because I generally like non-straight girls with shorter hair.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BrianWilly posted:

I really wanted Asami to go full-tilt Batman and start packing grappling hooks and gas pellets in her usual arsenal.
By any standard, benders have a type of privilege that non-benders don't. "Well I can shoot fire and you can't, but you're richer than me so you have no right to complain!" isn't how privilege works. It was jarring for this show to not ever really examine that, especially coming off of ATLA, which seemed like a show that did tend to examine those things. More to the point, it's just really jarring in general, period, for any sort of modern narrative to be in total support of a side that does have privilege when the conflict in question centers specifically on that privilege, whilst presenting those without that privilege (again, the one that is specifically being debated on in the context of the plot) as just being a literal army of whiny malcontents without any real cause.

The Equalists were never going to be "right," but the fact is that these wrong people's intense ideologies shouldn't have been resolved the way that it did. Their entire complaint was that benders oppress and manipulate the less powerful. How was revealing that they were being oppressed and manipulated by a bender all this time supposed to prove them wrong?

Well you see, S1: Communism is bad. S2: Theocracy is bad. S3: Anarchism is bad. S4: Fascism is bad.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Korra's best hair was end of season 2, but season 4's is probably the next best after.
:agreed: but the former doesn't really make sense for a brawler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Eej posted:

Well you see, S1: Communism is bad. S2: Theocracy is bad. S3: Anarchism is bad. S4: Fascism is bad.
S3/4: Monarchy is also bad

• Locked thread