Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

For anyone who understands French, french-canadian dude-who-makes-fun-of-the-news Jean-René "Infoman" Dufort just did a Israel/Palestine special. Among other things, he puts his own graffiti on the security wall.

Part 1.
Part 2.

Il n'est pas disponible dans mon pays. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Il n'est pas disponible dans mon pays. :smith:

This is a weird feeling. Normally, it is the opposite that happens.

I shall Blame Canada.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Seriously, you do realize that Hamas's rise owes at least some of its success to exactly this kind of thinking re: Fatah, right? This is a terrible idea.

I thought this exact same thing. My second thought was "Who would be insane enough to want ISIS operating on their border?

Main Paineframe posted:

See the second half of what you quoted. Us being less friendly with Israel is not the same as being unfriendly with them. Israel can survive just fine without the US subsidizing their military, and there's no way we're going to put economic sanctions on them. Besides, if Obama is any indication, the big thing annoying US leadership about Israel isn't their tendency to wage indiscriminate warfare against armed Muslim groups, but rather settlement expansion.

I think Israel could easily get along without the military subsidies. But losing the vetoes on the UNSC would set them back a lot. If the international community starts to hit them with binding resolutions, things could spiral downwards fast. That said, I see no reason to disagree with the second sentence in your post so far.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Main Paineframe posted:

See the second half of what you quoted. Us being less friendly with Israel is not the same as being unfriendly with them. Israel can survive just fine without the US subsidizing their military, and there's no way we're going to put economic sanctions on them. Besides, if Obama is any indication, the big thing annoying US leadership about Israel isn't their tendency to wage indiscriminate warfare against armed Muslim groups, but rather settlement expansion.

If settlement expansion halts forever and the most obnoxious settler assholes settle the gently caress down, it's not completely implausible that the situation might successfully calcify. It's not a bad long-term policy at all.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If settlement expansion halts forever and the most obnoxious settler assholes settle the gently caress down, it's not completely implausible that the situation might successfully calcify. It's not a bad long-term policy at all.

Except for it won't stop, and there will be no consequences, just like there hasn't been. It's all talk, which has been Obama.txt when it comes to mid east tensions. It's kind of funny how Israel has so much influence on the American political system when we have gently caress all in theirs.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That's not even getting into the whole thing during Protective Edge when Israeli politicians were openly criticizing the US for its own domestic policies despite $250 million for the iron dome being given to them. They were throwing everyone under the bus. Lot of butthurt generals and officials with bruised egos in the US after that. Sucks to find out you don't wear the pants in the relationship.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Volkerball posted:

They were throwing everyone under the bus. Lot of butthurt generals and officials with bruised egos in the US after that. Sucks to find out you don't wear the pants in the relationship.
lol What? I don't Israel has ever called out US military chiefs by name. Why would they?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I thought this exact same thing. My second thought was "Who would be insane enough to want ISIS operating on their border?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5nigZzgf4Y

They're not so bad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Apparently there is progress in talks about a united Arab list for the Knesset. This Israeli report cite Arab news-source Kul al-Arab as finding 80% support for a united list, while only 5% are opposed; and predicts 62% of the Arab population intending to vote in this election, as opposed to 56% last time.

The Israeli story was shared by Balad Stage, an outreach page by National Democratic Assembly, representing liberal Palestinian nationalist inside of Israel, which I assume means that they are very much in favor of this move.

From other sources I heard that there are very serious reservations about this from Jewish activists in Hadash, the communist-led front which bills itself as an Arab-Jewish party. On the other hand, they, like the other Arab-led parties, run the risk of simply not passing the threshold running alone. Perhaps Hadash will split into Jewish-led and Arab-led parts, which has already happened a few times in the past.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Volkerball posted:

Except for it won't stop, and there will be no consequences, just like there hasn't been. It's all talk, which has been Obama.txt when it comes to mid east tensions. It's kind of funny how Israel has so much influence on the American political system when we have gently caress all in theirs.

Well yeah. I was speaking to the notion that if it did have consequences that wouldn't be enough. I think it might be enough.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

lol What? I don't Israel has ever called out US military chiefs by name. Why would they?

No they called out your president instead.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Regarde Aduck posted:

No they called out your president instead.

And the Secretary of State.

ETA:

Speaking of State, guess what the US Ambassador to Israel got for Hannukah:

I'm surprised there isn't a Gaza Menorah. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 22, 2014

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Was it mentioned that the reported acid spraying incident from ten days ago was apparently just some guy spraying vinegar on a settler familycar?

http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Report-Acid-used-in-West-Bank-attack-was-vinegar-384530

confused at the reports of 'light injuries' tbqh.

More on EI: http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/guardian-reports-acid-attack-israelis-never-happened

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Was it mentioned that the reported acid spraying incident from ten days ago was apparently just some guy spraying vinegar on a settler familycar?

http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Report-Acid-used-in-West-Bank-attack-was-vinegar-384530

confused at the reports of 'light injuries' tbqh.

More on EI: http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/guardian-reports-acid-attack-israelis-never-happened

I entirely missed this. I think it's pretty antisemitic to treat Settlers like fries. It's dehumanizing. Bet he would have eaten them, too, if that hero hadn't shot him in the leg to stop his rampage.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Vinegar on fries? you've gone native dude.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Vinegar on fries? you've gone native dude.

Oh my God. What have I become? :gonk:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh my God. What have I become? :gonk:

You have become Upstate,
Destroyer of culture,
Eater of garbageplates,
Consumer of vinnegar chips.

Pretty rad gift to the Israeli ambassador. Does it shoot out little missiles with a remote? I want one.

More to the point, how's Bibi holding up? I'd like to see him win re-election.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

You have become Upstate,
Destroyer of culture,
Eater of garbageplates,
Consumer of vinnegar chips.
A Chicagoan is the last person who should be talking derisively about garbageplates. And I'll have you know I'm walking distance from very good Chinese, Mexican, Indian, and Vermontian cuisine.

quote:

Pretty rad gift to the Israeli ambassador. Does it shoot out little missiles with a remote? I want one.
I'm pretty sure it's a superficially exciting but useless for its intended purpose, much like your posting.

quote:

More to the point, how's Bibi holding up? I'd like to see him win re-election.
It's not a matter of him winning re-election, it's that so far it doesn't seem like anybody else could really form a coalition. But things are too turbulent to find out - we're only a few weeks since elections were even declared, and we have three months left to speculate. Mid-January is when we should expect the final list of parties/candidates, and then the speculation can become more concrete (although I imagine there will be the usual theater of parties/candidates being rejected by the Central Elections Committee only to be reinstated on appeal).

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So how are the elections ramp up going? Is Israel going to be less openly pro apartheid?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

So how are the elections ramp up going? Is Israel going to be less openly pro apartheid?

I don't think there's anything new after stuff already brought up earlier in the thread. As for it being less pro apartheid... I don't think them just being plane not systemically discriminatory is on the cards for after this election. The "best" case scenario is you get enough people in a coalition that under pressure is willing to withdraw from the West Bank and Gaza, so at least Palestinians there are no longer being cordoned in and/or removed from their homes. Inside of Israel? The President is pushing hard against racism, but the public is very much in favor of Jewish supremacy, and there isn't a prevalent understanding of the importance of minority rights. With luck the increase in the election threshold and the attacks on Arab MK's as Arab MK's will lead to a more unified policy by Arab leaders, increased turnout turning them into a more significant bloc in the next Knesset, and thus maybe giving them more political power, but whatever level you look at it it's not looking to be moving away from an ethnocracy anytime soon.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That's a downright utopian best case scenario.

Even a center-left government led by Herzog and Livni (which ain't gonna happen, btw) wouldn't withdraw from the west bank within the next term (unless massive american pressure is applied, that is. Which is another thing that's not happening). At best such a government would be willing to engage in bad faith negotiations as a form of procrastination, heck I can't imagine such a government not bombing Gaza again in a year or two regardless of their alleged peaceful intentions.

So, less apartheid? no.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That's a downright utopian best case scenario.

Even a center-left government led by Herzog and Livni (which ain't gonna happen, btw) wouldn't withdraw from the west bank within the next term (unless massive american pressure is applied, that is. Which is another thing that's not happening). At best such a government would be willing to engage in bad faith negotiations as a form of procrastination, heck I can't imagine such a government not bombing Gaza again in a year or two regardless of their alleged peaceful intentions.

So, less apartheid? no.

I did caveat that with "under pressure".

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
How bad would the Jewish public get if the Palestinians in Israel formed a united list?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
You mean Israeli Arabs? They're trying, but from what I've read, even if they succeed in putting their differences aside and joining forces, they'll end up at around 15 seats out of the 120 in the Knesset. That's not going to accomplish much, and aside from the usual grandstanding, I doubt the Israeli public will pay more attention than usual.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Reza Aslan was asked about a year ago about his feelings on a two-state solution.

His response was

quote:

There is no peace process. There is no two-state solution. Its over. The idea that we can continue at a time, where there are 500,000 Israelis living on whats supposed to be the future Palestinian land. And the fact that that number is growing at an accelerated pace. There is nothing left of Palestine. There's just Ramallah, thats it. You're just gonna call Ramallah Palestine... and then some deserts in the Negev and Gaza? Nobody wants Gaza. Its over.

This notion of figuring out a way to revive the peace process... don't believe it. The peace process is nothing more than a waste of time, so the rest of the land can become gobbled up. When Oslo was signed, there were about 100,000 settler living in Palestine. Thats when the peace process started. And 20 years of the peace process has lead to 500,000 Israelis living on Palestinian land.

The two-state solution is over. There is no Palestine, there will be no Palestine. So whats next?

Whats next is the horrifying reality that no-one wanted. And whats going to happen whether we like it or not. Which is one-state. One-state for two people...

The bi-national state... nobody wants this. The Palestinians don't want it, the Israelis done want it. But the bi-national state. The one state for two people, with clearly defined political rules...

In which you have a power-sharing deal. With institutions necessary to maintain independent national cohesion amongst the two groups. Like what we have in Belgium, or Northern Ireland. We know that didn't go well for a little while, and its not going to be very clean in Israel Palestine.

There is no negotiating table. There is no negotiations to be done. There could have been. There was a moment when this president had the opportunity to change everything. He drew a line in the sand. But not only was the line crossed, but his face was ground into the sand and spat upon. What the Israeli's did to the United States, in waiting for Joe Biden to show up. For the President of the United States... the president who provides 3 billion dollars a year to a first-world nation. For him to make a request, that the Israeli government should follow international law... just for a little while, in exchange for even more money. And for the Israeli government to tell him to go screw himself... is the lowest position American power has ever been. Everyone knows who wears the pants in the relationship now (Sorry for the sexist comment).

For a man like Obama to make the promises he made, and to fail so utterly and miserably, and ultimately to put the death knell in the peace process. The man who finally and ultimately put an end to the peace process. With a single vote last week. in the UN Security Council. By vetoing the resolution that said, "Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian land are a violation of the 4th Geneva Convention... Obama has stated that numerous times that these settlements are illegal under the Geneva accords. Every nation on earth, including Israel, has defined these settlements as illegal.

Actually, the Supreme Court of Israel has said that, technically, this counts as a military occupation. Therefore, as Israel is a signator to the Geneva Convention, they are in violation of the Geneva Accords. Every nation on earth accepts this. And for the United States to stand amongst the 196 nations and say, "Veto". We're not going to let this simple resolution even come to a vote, was the death knell. That was the moment which it was over.

Its time we stop thinking about the past. Thats done. Its time to start thinking about what we do from here. The one-state solution is messy, its fraught with so many complications. It will lead to bloodshed. But there is no other option. Its happening.

We might as well start getting ready for it.

Which to me seemed like a fairly succinct explanation of the situation. That was from September, 2013 though. And as far as I can tell, I agree with it. Gaza is unlikely to ever want to be part of Israel (and its not like Israel settlers are moving there, so I guess they don't want it either), and the West Bank is slowly being taken over as is.

I guess eventually Israel will completely absorb the West Bank and Gaza will remain an open-air prison even after that?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
How the IDF stole Christmas

http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=749364

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

botany posted:

You mean Israeli Arabs? They're trying, but from what I've read, even if they succeed in putting their differences aside and joining forces, they'll end up at around 15 seats out of the 120 in the Knesset. That's not going to accomplish much, and aside from the usual grandstanding, I doubt the Israeli public will pay more attention than usual.

I thought Palestinians in Israel made up over 20% of the population. Wouldn't that means 30 seats in the Knesset? Also considering how racist Israeli society is wouldn't they having such a presence in the knesset lead to some sort of shitstorm?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
No (real) democracy in the world has 100% voter turnout, The Palestinian citizens of Israel have lower turnout than Jewish Israelis, and a considerable portion of them votes for Jewish led parties, the arab parties have never come close to 30 seats.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 24, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Brainbread posted:

Which to me seemed like a fairly succinct explanation of the situation. That was from September, 2013 though. And as far as I can tell, I agree with it. Gaza is unlikely to ever want to be part of Israel (and its not like Israel settlers are moving there, so I guess they don't want it either), and the West Bank is slowly being taken over as is.

I guess eventually Israel will completely absorb the West Bank and Gaza will remain an open-air prison even after that?
Sooner or later the Gaza strip and parts of the West Bank will probably be turned into Palestinian reservations, with the Palestinians eventually given semi-autonomous rule, albeit while still under Israeli jurisdiction.

And yes, I use the word "reservations" deliberately. Since a one-state solution is probably the only avenue left, creating reservations like the US did with Native Americas gives Israel a way to say "okay we gave the Palestinians some autonomy, get off our backs" while still keeping all the land.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 24, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fade5 posted:

Sooner or later the Gaza strip and parts of the West Bank will probably be turned into Palestinian reservations, with the Palestinians eventually given semi-autonomous rule, albeit while still under Israeli jurisdiction.

And yes, I use the word "reservations" deliberately. Since a one-state solution is probably the only avenue left, creating reservations like the US did with Native Americas gives Israel a way to say "okay we gave the Palestinians some autonomy, get off our backs" while still keeping all the land.

There even used to be a casino in Jericho.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4607234,00.html

Minor incident on the Gaza border, according to the Israeli reports a Hamas marksmen squad opened fire on an IDF convoy, IDF responded with artillery and airstrikes, one Hamas officer was killed.

Reminder that on friday a Qassam was fired towards Eshkol and in response the IDF bombed a Hamas compound, there were no casualties on that occasion.

This is perhaps indicative that the 'secret negotiations' which were one of the reported terms of the secret ceasefire agreement are not going to well, or perhaps they are not taking place at all.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 24, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Brainbread posted:

quote:

The peace process is nothing more than a waste of time, so the rest of the land can become gobbled up. When Oslo was signed, there were about 100,000 settler living in Palestine. Thats when the peace process started. And 20 years of the peace process has lead to 500,000 Israelis living on Palestinian land.
Its funny (not funny) but years ago when some of us would point that out the various Israeli propagandists had an easy time making fun of the crazy conspiracy people.

It was an easy strategy to use as long as the world believed all the bald-faced lies about "peaceful democratic Israel".

PEACE! PEACE! PEACE!
*kills kids, steals land*
*Awards medals to terrorists and murderers*

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So, two things, apparently an IDF soldier was seriously wounded during the incident earlier today: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4607234,00.html

Now here's an actually possibly interesting development: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4607410,00.html

quote:

The Likud comptroller has disqualified Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu from running in the party's internal primaries ahead of the general election, citing illegal use of party resources.

If the move stands, Netanyahu will not be able to contend for the premiership. In response, the party's election committee said the comptroller overstepped his mandate and is not authorized to make such a decision. It is unclear if the comptroller can indeed bar Netanyahu from running pending a legal investgiation.
In response to the allegations, Netanyahu's primaries campaign committee said Netanyahu had not broken any party law and said the claims were "bizarre, outlandish and baseless." They further attempted to undermine the report's credibility, saying it was "political" and backed by strong "interests".

Sources close to Netanyahu responded to the allegations regarding the use of party workers, saying "they were used for a general Likud event which dealt with the pirmaries' proceedings and not with (Netanyahu's) campaign. The two workers are non-paid workers and as such they are allowed to do political work. ".

The hebrew article on haaretz also quotes Netanyahu's cronies as stating that the Likud comptroller doesn't have the authority to disqualify candidates, so, whether this actually means anything remains to be seen.

Edit: And lest we forgot! This has been an exciting day http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4607132,00.html

quote:

Lieberman's Yisrael Beiteinu at heart of major corruption scandal
Major corruption scandal involving over 30 public officials, top politicians uncovered in Israel, investigation centers on Deputy Minister Faina Kirschenbaum; Yisrael Beiteinu: Police trying to shame party ahead of elections.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 24, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
This is apparently a full-page ad in the NYT today. Nothing new for those who are familiar with the usual rhetoric, but pretty vile nonetheless.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

This is apparently a full-page ad in the NYT today. Nothing new for those who are familiar with the usual rhetoric, but pretty vile nonetheless.

... isn't same-sex marriage illegal in Israel?

"I mean. We don't recognize queer people as having the same rights of other citizens, but those guys are SO MUCH WORSE therefore we are absolved of any criticism."

Saying that you're better than people actively butchering queer people isn't really saying that much at all.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Who cares about apartheid and colonialism, gay rights are the only benchmark for human rights and democracy!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DarkCrawler posted:

Who cares about apartheid and colonialism, gay rights are the only benchmark for human rights and democracy!

You sound just like USAID.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brainbread posted:

Reza Aslan was asked about a year ago about his feelings on a two-state solution.

His response was

This is the only outcome I've seen as likely for years. Israel's increasing settlements will just lead to a one-state solution down the road. As he mentions, if you look at land maps now, basically all of the West Bank is dotted with settlements that are on what is internationally recognized as Palestinian land. This inevitable one state solution is only going to lead to further tensions, and if the U.S. continues to back Israel up forever, I expect ethnic cleansing to become a sad reality.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Barry Convex posted:

Haha maybe its a sign that you might not be the good guys if you literally have to put ads in foreign papers being like "My Country: We don't even kill gay people,"

Even ISIS doesn't feel the need to put out ad campaigns protesting their portrayal in the media. I genuinely think Israel would get less poo poo if they just owned up and were like "Well yeah. We're basically colonial America/Australia, we need to get rid of all the natives so that we can live here instead,". Rather than couching everything in like fifty recursive layers of outright falsehoods and vague deceits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Israeli propaganda is for people who already support Israel, it's a way to promote talking points. Israel relies on its existing power base, it doesn't seek new converts.

• Locked thread