Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Rhonne posted:

I really liked how you went out of your way to point out the flaws in the games despite them being your top 10 of the year. Most peoples usually ignore any negatives about the games in their lists.

Also, even though I don't own an Xbone myself, I managed to convince someone to buy Killer Instinct today, so I'm doing my part to support your shillinglove of that game.

You're literally the only person who noticed that. It was a conscious-effort to do so, because no game is perfect.

So thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I initially wrote off KI as a joke because the first time I saw it I laughed how bad it looked (mechanically) but the fact you went gushing how good it is giving me second thought on actually trying it now.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

cmykjester posted:

As someone that lives in Kentucky this is pretty much true. Just nothing to do and too much time to think.

Yeah I live there too. He reminds me of a lot of people I know.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Shindragon posted:

I initially wrote off KI as a joke because the first time I saw it I laughed how bad it looked (mechanically) but the fact you went gushing how good it is giving me second thought on actually trying it now.

Woolie raves about it too. Pardon me, I don't understand how you could think something LOOKS bad, mechanically, without ever playing it. I can entertain the notion of someone scoffing at something because of the character design or art style, but to think mechanics are a joke despite never going hands-on is a bit weird to me.

A top tier SFIV player recently wrote this excellent overview of the game mechanics, complete with gifs and full explanations of all the systems, it's pretty sick: http://ki.infil.net/basics.html

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

Woolie raves about it too. Pardon me, I don't understand how you could think something LOOKS bad, mechanically, without ever playing it. I can entertain the notion of someone scoffing at something because of the character design or art style, but to think mechanics are a joke despite never going hands-on is a bit weird to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGxFiFapkZ0

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

TheRealestMatt posted:

A top tier SFIV player recently wrote this excellent overview of the game mechanics, complete with gifs and full explanations of all the systems, it's pretty sick: http://ki.infil.net/basics.html

Hmm, when they showed it off at EVO. It felt like the fights dragged on way too much. Like the health bar was taking way too long to go down.

Stuff like that is what made me go, yeah this seems like it might not work.

But then again I was riding off the hype off EVO and I was like DON'T CARE about this new game, show me MAHVEL. :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All this fighting game talk lately kinda makes me wish I had ever gotten into them (or had any friends who liked them).

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

just read or watch ping pong

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Andrast posted:

All this fighting game talk lately kinda makes me wish I had ever gotten into them (or had any friends who liked them).

It's never too late. The Best Friends' constant hyping up of fighting games made me go out and get a cheapo arcade stick, Skullgirls and USF4!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Radio Paranoia posted:

It's never too late. The Best Friends' constant hyping up of fighting games made me go out and get a cheapo arcade stick, Skullgirls and USF4!

Yea I'm probably gonna get a cheapo stick and the new SF game, fighting games are fun, I just haven't done much playing of them, and poo poo like the SBFs hyping them up so much makes me wanna.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I didn't like the first trailer for KI for one tiny specific reason: the fireballs. They were so busy visually and covered the whole screen in bouncing yellow sparks whenever they hit and that just turned me off the games visual design for some reason. But I've never played it and I'm sure it's a real cool game, but I didn't play the original KI either so I guess that nostalgia just isn't there.

Matt has there ever been a cool trailer or even a whole game where one tiny part of it has turned you off the entire thing? (This could be a podcast question too I guess)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm seriously getting into the Souls series purely on how much I got into the DS2 LP, because I binge-watched most of it while bed-ridden with the flu.

Sadly I'm PC-only, so no DeS for me. But downloading DaS1 right now. Gonna git the guddest.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'm seriously getting into the Souls series purely on how much I got into the DS2 LP, because I binge-watched most of it while bed-ridden with the flu.

Sadly I'm PC-only, so no DeS for me. But downloading DaS1 right now. Gonna git the guddest.

Don't forget to pick up DSFix and I guess turn on the beta so you can use Steamworks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
DS1 is amazing. Especially if you're a strength build and the the Black Knight Sword drops. That thing is rare, but absolutely stunning.

Also, here's a picture of the pimpest hat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

DS1 is amazing. Especially if you're a strength build and the the Black Knight Sword drops. That thing is rare, but absolutely stunning.

Also, here's a picture of the pimpest hat.

My first DS1 run was fully carried by the Black Knight Halberd. It's still my favorite weapon in the game.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I just wanna be the biggest, fightiest dude.

Gonna be a knight for rad armour.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Andrast posted:

My first DS1 run was fully carried by the Black Knight Halberd. It's still my favorite weapon in the game.

I was going to do a dex-magic build for the steamworks upgrade. Then the Black Knight Greatsword dropped. Change of plans.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I love how everyone is dressed in the xmas podcast video :tipshat:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I enjoyed Pat's laugh when Woolie said "Three-way crackers" because I knew exactly what he was thinking.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Listening to the podcast and the Tale of the T-Shirt Cold War is amazing. As soon as Pat said he may or may not have spent $500 on clothes, I let out an audible, "WAIT, WHAT?"

Holy poo poo, this T-Shirt thing is Serious Business.

And good on him for finishing Baldur's Gate. Probably the best PC RPG I've ever played.

Edit:

loving :lol: at:

MATT: "Well, I guess you don't like Metal Gear as much as me."

PAT: "I'M GOING TO SOW THAT PATCH ONTO MY DICK!"

WOOLIE: "We all can't be members of Fox Hound..."

MATT: "Like I am."

PAT: "You loving monsters."

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 24, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's only a matter of time before the t-shirt cold war turns hot

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Blockhouse posted:

It's only a matter of time before the t-shirt cold war turns hot

It will be mutually assured declarations of nerddom

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

OneDeadman posted:

It will be mutually assured declarations of nerddom

Woolie and pat will bankrupt each other when the eventual PC-master race war starts. Who will be the first to submerge a gpu in mineral oil?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Liam's top 10 is up and is, of course, twice the length of anyone else's and also has way more than 10 games in it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh my god Liam, still images for every game?! for an hour long video?!?!?! :cripes:

Oh my god. I think liam must've uploaded the wrong file. if this is the actual file, Liam lost mad points for lack of effort.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 24, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well at least Liam's is the most in-depth. Or, uh, long-winded? Most in-depth-winded.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
The second game he mentions is Masou Kishin 3. I... I don't know how to respond to this...

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

I dont mind the length, It's like a podcast :shobon:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Only one vita game on liam's top 10.

but It felt like liam had to mention literally every 2013 vita game.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
It's not like he literally jacked off a Vita in the video or anything

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Silentman0 posted:

The second game he mentions is Masou Kishin 3. I... I don't know how to respond to this...

SRW owns so Liam's list is by default the best

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

If you want to just enjoy Demon Souls vicariously, there's a pretty good goon-run LP you can watch here. I've been watching it since I'll probably never play it either. It's not as funny as Two Best Friends, but it's informative and cool to see where a lot of the Souls stuff started.

I've already beaten DS2 and I'm working my way through 1 now. Not doing the greatsword thing, too slow for my taste.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ashtarath posted:

I dont mind the length, It's like a podcast :shobon:

It was basically that, really.

Liam has a lot of speech ticks, huh? First and foremost, that being said, there was another one there that I can't remember but I heard a ton...I suppose they're more writing ticks if it was fully scripted. Dude could've done with some editing (and b-roll footage, although for a 10min mini-review even those get old), but it didn't feel too long.

Also, Youtube comments are still the worst - "Liam was too lazy" followed by "Woolie was too tryhard" in the same sentence.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Liam is both a monster for hating George and a sufferer of Alzheimer's for saying that any Metal Gear character is worse than Rose.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodyle posted:

Liam is both a monster for hating George and a sufferer of Alzheimer's for saying that any Metal Gear character is worse than Rose.

Rose becomes a lot funnier/sadder once you lean Kojima said in an interview that rose was based on women in his life.

I don't really have a problem with George and honestly the zaibatsu's videos are the first time I've heard anyone have a problem with him.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Pretty hosed up how nobody mentioned Chun-Li's Alpha outfit as one of the best alternate costumes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zaibatsu hates kid characters, that's like the one thing you can count on.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tae posted:

Zaibatsu hates kid characters, that's like the one thing you can count on.

The Zaibatsu has nothing on SA's hatred of kid characters. There's a 100+ page TW101 thread in LP and pretty much every other post is an entire paragraph of nonsense about why Luka (6) is an unredeemable blemish on society.

edit: hey pal when I was watching Liam's vid and he got to Fire Emblem I went "hey that looks like that dude's avatar, the one where the man has a golden Mass Relay for a head!" :hfive:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

cmykjester posted:

I don't really have a problem with George and honestly the zaibatsu's videos are the first time I've heard anyone have a problem with him.

Nobody hates George because he's around for like 3 cutscenes and gone before he can get grating unlike every other lovely child character in a Platinum game.

I'm only on the Fire Emblem portion of Liam's list and he's already doing that circuitous "i hate it but it's great but it's not my thing but that's fine but it kinda sucks but it's fantastic but i hate it" poo poo again. I can't deal it's so goddamn annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

TriffTshngo posted:

Nobody hates George because he's around for like 3 cutscenes and gone before he can get grating unlike every other lovely child character in a Platinum game.

I'm only on the Fire Emblem portion of Liam's list and he's already doing that circuitous "i hate it but it's great but it's not my thing but that's fine but it kinda sucks but it's fantastic but i hate it" poo poo again. I can't deal it's so goddamn annoying

It's a little thing, but the reason George annoyed the hell out of me was because his subtitles didn't match his thick, thick patois. If there was that consistency, he would have been a far less grating character.