Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Man, and I thought it was bad (but still p. decent) at $1.09/L here in Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kazinsal posted:

Man, and I thought it was bad (but still p. decent) at $1.09/L here in Vancouver.

Just dipped below a buck in Abbotsford!

That's like, $3.21 USD a gallon still though even after the exchange :smith:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
People that care about gas prices seem so poor. If 50 bucks for a tank breaks the bank maybe you should get a better job :smuggo::911:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Just dipped below a buck in Abbotsford!

That's like, $3.21 USD a gallon still though even after the exchange :smith:

More accurately $1.09 in Langley so it's probably closer to $1.15 in Vancouver proper.

I haven't driven in months (woo U-Pass) so gas prices don't affect me directly but still, what a time to be living in, where the gas prices are almost hitting what they were 10 years ago :allears:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fart Sandwiches posted:

People that care about gas prices seem so poor. If 50 bucks for a tank breaks the bank maybe you should get a better job :smuggo::911:

I used to just throw in 10 bucks a week and base my travel on what that got me. Now I don't give a gently caress and wish my tank was even bigger so I could bust three digits at the pump like the big truck men.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
High gas prices Obama bad! Low gas prices Obama had nothing to do with and also still bad!

I like to express my nuanced political opinions all over the Internet.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Low gas prices are bad! Obama is killing the hybrid market!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Maybe don't buy a gigantic truck that you really don't need just so you can drive to work and go to the grocery store.

My uncle and cousin have always been the type of guys who think tehy absolutely must have a pickup truck no matter how much it flies in the face of practicality as far as their needs go. Needless to say they've both owned a long series of lovely trucks that constantly break down. Another important factor here is that they're both mechanically stupid and can't manage to maintain or fix anything, or have someone else fix it. As you can imagine they're both really vocal Republicans too.

It's pretty hilarious to hear my uncle bang on about fiscal responsibility since he thought having his kids take out student loans to help pay for his business expenses was a good idea.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

Maybe don't buy a gigantic truck that you really don't need just so you can drive to work and go to the grocery store.

My uncle and cousin have always been the type of guys who think tehy absolutely must have a pickup truck no matter how much it flies in the face of practicality as far as their needs go. Needless to say they've both owned a long series of lovely trucks that constantly break down. Another important factor here is that they're both mechanically stupid and can't manage to maintain or fix anything, or have someone else fix it. As you can imagine they're both really vocal Republicans too.

It's pretty hilarious to hear my uncle bang on about fiscal responsibility since he thought having his kids take out student loans to help pay for his business expenses was a good idea.

Haha anti truck goons crack me up :)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

justice4trayvawn posted:

Sorry about your penis, bro.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Sorry about your penis, bro.

Its fine thank you :)

Sorry about your weird goonyness towards awesome trucks :)

only miatas and 80s euro cars for goons, i know

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

lol people on Facebook are asserting that Sony was a false flag operation and that the US is picking on poor old little North Korea by illegally attacking their infrastructure. This, despite the fact that a) It's impossible to attribute the DDoS attack to the US, since DDoS attacks are insanely easy to pull off and effectively impossible to trace and b) If the US indeed has evidence to corroborate its claim that Best Korea is behind the attacks, the UN provides for it to respond with a proportional response.
i have no idea who is doing what, but i want to believe it's just hacker groups doing it for lols

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

justice4trayvawn posted:

I don't think nobody should own a truck. I don't think stupid poors that don't have a legitimate use for them should own them, especially when they do nothing but bitch about the price of gas.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the problem with trucks now a days is they make them too loving big

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't think nobody should own a truck. I don't think stupid poors that don't have a legitimate use for them should own them, especially when they do nothing but bitch about the price of gas.

Oh some people literally think they should be banned if you aren't hauling a full load or whatever constantly

I bought a new 3 series bmw and had it less than a year before i got another truck...some people just like them better :)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

justice4trayvawn posted:

Its fine thank you :)

Sorry about your weird goonyness towards awesome trucks :)

only miatas and 80s euro cars for goons, i know

Truck people are often extremely defensive when people make fun of them for never carrying a load except when it's in their mouth

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Truck people are often extremely defensive when people make fun of them for never carrying a load except when it's in their mouth

Nah just this website because theyll call you a republican or w/e because you own something that isn't completely faggy lol :)

high gas prices help me out anyways so idc either way

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So this NYPD thing. Count me as someone who is sympathetic to the police reform protesters. But even I went to a protest in November and heard the DEAD COPS NOW chant. The guy who killed those cops marched in one of those protests. And now people on my Facebook are outraged because cops and right-wingers are accusing them of inciting violence? You were demanding violence. I heard it with my own ears.

All I can say is that if you're demanding violence against the police, and a war with the police, then don't be surprised when you get one. I don't have any truck with the shitshow that is the NYPD. But these activists really don't seem like they really ever thought through the implications of what they were doing. No surprise.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Trucks have always been a thing for guys who needed them for work. That's what I always thought was the case until I enlisted.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The army has shown me the shorter the dude, the bigger the lift kit.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

True story: had one of those dudes in my unit who loved/loves his truck more than life itself, and his girlfriend admitted to the rest of us that he did, in fact, have a tiny penis. It also seems that the only dudes who actually use their trucks for, you know, its utility... don't have giant loving trucks. Funny how that works out.

That said, I can appreciate a good truck, but I'd never own one as a daily. I already have a car that has crappy fuel economy, don't need anything worse.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Spicy Guacamole posted:

True story: had one of those dudes in my unit who loved/loves his truck more than life itself, and his girlfriend admitted to the rest of us that he did, in fact, have a tiny penis. It also seems that the only dudes who actually use their trucks for, you know, its utility... don't have giant loving trucks. Funny how that works out.

lmao welp there ya have it folks

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Dick-waving about how you totally don't care what people think about your truck is not a current event.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

can i laugh at poors who blame the salvation army for not being able to give their kids christmas presents?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/64406798/Kids-to-go-without-Christmas-mum-says

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Omi-Polari posted:

So this NYPD thing. Count me as someone who is sympathetic to the police reform protesters. But even I went to a protest in November and heard the DEAD COPS NOW chant. The guy who killed those cops marched in one of those protests. And now people on my Facebook are outraged because cops and right-wingers are accusing them of inciting violence? You were demanding violence. I heard it with my own ears.

All I can say is that if you're demanding violence against the police, and a war with the police, then don't be surprised when you get one. I don't have any truck with the shitshow that is the NYPD. But these activists really don't seem like they really ever thought through the implications of what they were doing. No surprise.

Mike Rowe wrote a long letter in response to someone asking him what he thought about the protests in SF, and he said "sure, root out bad cops and reform the police but maybe stop being an idiot and resisting arrest too" and "my black friend said he's sick of getting dragged into some 'controversy' because of two petty criminals like he's the same as them" so I just know it's going to make the rounds on tumblr/D&D within days

But yeah the demanding violence thing is pretty scary at times. Whenever I've pointed it out (goons going 'loving kill McCulloch, lynch him in the street') the response is typically "that's just hyperbole, please don't get concerned" in an extremely snotty tone.

One of the things I take a stand on these days is death/rape threats over the internet, which are gross and need to stop but won't stop until there's actually consequences for saying those things. In this case people condemn it except when it's about something they're e-angry over.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I think going "well that dude shot those cops therefore all discussion of police reform is moot, suck it libtards :smug:" is disingenuous as gently caress. Wasn't that couple that shot those cops in Vegas inspired by right wing media? Why aren't folks trying to get Rush et. all shut down to protect police?

Because that won't score points for their team.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think going "well that dude shot those cops therefore all discussion of police reform is moot, suck it libtards :smug:" is disingenuous as gently caress. Wasn't that couple that shot those cops in Vegas inspired by right wing media? Why aren't folks trying to get Rush et. all shut down to protect police?

Oh I agree totally. But the right-wing sites are also having a field day finding left-of-center writers who wrote articles when that happened blaming a climate of violent rhetoric and then making the exact opposite argument right now. But there's another similarity. The right-wing media ran in the opposite direction from Bundy after that and the racist stuff came out, like liberals are doing now with the protest thing. I'm betting it's over as a movement, but I'm often wrong about these things.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Mike Rowe wrote a long letter in response to someone asking him what he thought about the protests in SF, and he said "sure, root out bad cops and reform the police but maybe stop being an idiot and resisting arrest too" and "my black friend said he's sick of getting dragged into some 'controversy' because of two petty criminals like he's the same as them" so I just know it's going to make the rounds on tumblr/D&D within days

But yeah the demanding violence thing is pretty scary at times. Whenever I've pointed it out (goons going 'loving kill McCulloch, lynch him in the street') the response is typically "that's just hyperbole, please don't get concerned" in an extremely snotty tone.

One of the things I take a stand on these days is death/rape threats over the internet, which are gross and need to stop but won't stop until there's actually consequences for saying those things. In this case people condemn it except when it's about something they're e-angry over.
Yeah I don't like the snottiness. It's like, you better mean it when you say it. Be careful what you wish for, etc. At the same time, not much you can do about it, and the generic calls for violence is protected speech because it's not specific. Laws against it have a high burden of specificity and imminence. The last time I remember someone getting jailed for it was a white supremacist radio guy who agitated for killing a specific federal judge. Like he named him and everything. But what I'm saying is: Don't forget this is what y'all wanted.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 24, 2014

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/23/who-started-new-york-s-dead-cops-chant.html?via=mobile&source=facebook

tl;dr a bunch of rich white people are part of a group advocating revolution and violence against police as tools of political change

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The thing about protests is they don't have membership requirements, and crazy people love protests. Any right wing protest is going to get racists, really dumb people, and really dumb racists. Any left wing protest is going to get whiny white kids who yearn to have their own little revolutionary bloodbath. Both will have conspiracy theorists. This makes any opponent of any modern protest able to get easy sound bites of crazy people being crazy, discrediting the whole movement. I have a pet theory that a small part of what made union protests successful in the era of unionization was that social norms of the time enabled protestors to beat the living poo poo out of undesirable hangers-on.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Can I be in the camp that violence will never solve anything, that race relations in the US are pretty loving bad right now, not all cops are bad and that we need some police reform?

Also news reforms because hearing an CNN anchor trying to justify the actions of the officiers invoices in the shooting of Tamir Rice was depressing as gently caress :smith:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

Can I be in the camp that violence will never solve anything, that race relations in the US are pretty loving bad right now, not all cops are bad and that we need some police reform?

Also news reforms because hearing an CNN anchor trying to justify the actions of the officiers invoices in the shooting of Tamir Rice was depressing as gently caress :smith:

I think that's the camp most Americans are in.

Unfortunately middle of the road "hey let's try to have an adult conversation about this" is poo poo for ratings so we never hear about it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Say what you will about Heinlein, but:

quote:

Anyone who clings to the historically untrue and thoroughly immoral doctrine that violence never settles anything I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history that has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms.
Just about anyone who's put their boots on the ground in any of the shitholes our country has stepped in recently should know this. It's not pretty, the hugboxes won't acknowledge it, but it's the drat loving truth. Just open a history textbook. It's all there, for the world to see. Let's not forget, either, that history is written by the victors. Violence, however ugly, solves a lot of problems, even if it creates more in the process.

Unfortunately middle of the road "hey let's try to have an adult conversation about this" is poo poo for ratings so we never hear about it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

HEH I guess you could say the truth is somewhere in the middle??? :smuggo: Pick one side or the other and stick with it shitlord.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Dick-waving about how you totally don't care what people think about your truck is not a current event.

Casimir Radon posted:

Spicy Guacamole posted:

That said, I can appreciate a good truck, but I'd never own one as a daily. I already have a car that has crappy fuel economy, don't need anything worse.

Neither is talking about inept rethuglikkkan relatives or tiny dicked coworkers that also own trucks. Turnabout is fair play.

psydude posted:

Economy grows 5% in the third quarter, Bin Laden is dead, gas is $2.38/gal, relations are re-opened with Cuba, 7 million previously uninsured people have health insurance, and the Russian economy is in the toilet. What a terrible presidency!

You know that gas is cheap because those kid fuckers in the middle east and communists in Venezuela are trying to kill American/Canadian energy production, right? That isn't the result of any amazing machinations on Obama's part.

ElMaligno posted:

You can be in the pussy rear end bitch camp.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smiling Jack posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/23/who-started-new-york-s-dead-cops-chant.html?via=mobile&source=facebook

tl;dr a bunch of rich white people are part of a group advocating revolution and violence against police as tools of political change

Well I....yeah....goddamn what a bunch of loving morons.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLPeXpxUgc

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I do miss stupid people bitching about their truck payment and gas. Now its just the truck payment.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fister Roboto posted:

HEH I guess you could say the truth is somewhere in the middle??? :smuggo: Pick one side or the other and stick with it shitlord.

Being in the middle mean i put the blame on both sides. Thankfully i think this is all the pigs fault. Had they been more careful they would still have their sick rear end kdr record intact.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

You really cant play the whole "so what he was just one face in a crowd for police reform" card when theres literally thousands of videos on youtube of people chanting" kill cops now '"etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

You really cant play the whole "so what he was just one face in a crowd for police reform" card when theres literally thousands of videos on youtube of people chanting" kill cops now '"etc

:nallears:

And? My point is that if we're going to link protest movements with violent actions and hold them accountable it's only fair to be equitable about it.

• Locked thread