Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Still makes more sense than Yamaha.

A company known for dirt bikes, motorcycles, and...musical instruments?

Like lambo with tractors, they made instruments first. Look at the Yamaha logo; it's three tuning forks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Still makes more sense than Yamaha.

A company known for dirt bikes, motorcycles, and...musical instruments?

When you say Yamaha I think sound equipment because I have a sound board of theirs sitting on my desk, and I don't often ride dirtbikes. What people most associate with Yamaha kind of depends on the person you're talking to. The second thing I'd think of are boat engines. Mitsubishi and Fuji are like that too, they make a lot of very different things.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

davebo posted:

When you say Yamaha I think sound equipment because I have a sound board of theirs sitting on my desk, and I don't often ride dirtbikes. What people most associate with Yamaha kind of depends on the person you're talking to. The second thing I'd think of are boat engines. Mitsubishi and Fuji are like that too, they make a lot of very different things.

Yeah, when someone says Yamaha I immediately think pianos because of the Yamaha Clavinova. Japanese companies in particular are kind of weird like that - like how Konami, makers of the popular Metal Gear series of video games, made 104 billion yen selling video games and 77 billion yen operating health clubs last year. They tend to be quicker to diversify into completely unrelated industries and dip into a little bit of everything if they can.

I just got this in the mail to give to my brother for Christmas. He's trying to build a 64 collection and we probably dropped over $100 renting this over and over when we were kids.

Sumac has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Dec 22, 2014

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

HaB posted:

So I've had this dream guitar forever - a Gretsch Silver Falcon. Notable for two things: one - of Gretsch's top of the line instruments, maybe 3 of them have silver hardware. I'm a gold hardware hater from WAY back. Brass is tolerable, but it's not silver. And two - in the 7-8 years I have been coveting this guitar, I have never seen it in stock anywhere. Even out of the big online music retailers (Musician's Friends, Zzounds and Guitar Center), I think only MF even stocks it. It's difficult to find, is what I'm saying.

So a couple of months ago, my local Ken Stanton hired a new guy in the guitar department who is a Rockabilly. Since I rocked a pompadour for many years, we hit it off well and he mentioned that his main baby is a Gretsch also. So of course when it came time to order Gretsches, he made sure to not get the same ones you can find every freakin where. I wandered in and saw the holy grail hanging on the wall. Played it and fell in love. I have been working as a contractor this year, and getting paid every two weeks it turns out that December is a 3 paycheck month this year. So after 8 years, I am now the proud owner of this beauty:

Info from Gretsch's site for the guitar nerds among you:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2401401824

For the record, like most things - the MSRP is WAAAAAAAAY more than the actual street price. I didn't pay even CLOSE to $4800.

$2800

One of the guys in one of my favorite (not huge) bands is sponsored by Gretsch. He's loving amazing. Awesome guitar that you got there.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I have a Yamaha saxophone, love it to bits. I also used to have a Yamaha ATV I also loved to bits.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Yeah, when someone says Yamaha I immediately think pianos because of the Yamaha Clavinova. Japanese companies in particular are kind of weird like that - like how Konami, makers of the popular Metal Gear series of video games, made 104 billion yen selling video games and 77 billion yen operating health clubs last year. They tend to be quicker to diversify into completely unrelated industries and dip into a little bit of everything if they can.

My piano is a Yamaha, and so is my keyboard.

Also, doesn't Sega have an enormous Pachinko division?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Right, but when you say Lamborghini, people think supercar, not tractor.

When you say Lamborghini I think childhood, innocence, teamwork, robots in disguise

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I too want to tell people I'm a fan of pooping

App13
Dec 31, 2011

"Aristophanes" posted:

Also, doesn't Sega have an enormous Pachinko division?

Sort of, they are under the same holding company, sega-sammy

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have a Yamaha saxophone, love it to bits. I also used to have a Yamaha ATV I also loved to bits.

Yamaha always brings to mind the NS10 speakers for me. That, followed by keyboards/pianos, then things with motors.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

benwards posted:

Ohhhh you are in for a treat. Both of these are just excellent. :frogc00l:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

You are in for a treat Use of Weapons is easily my favourite Culture book...

I've got three library books to finish before I start any of those four :sweatdrop:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bartie posted:

Are those from The Fudge Kitchen? It's so drat good.

Yep, Fudge Kitchen. It just melts in your mouth. So so good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This week my Kwanzaa gift was a donation to some political transparency group and a pamphlet on Mitch McConnell's donations.

Weird choice to keep for the international buyers.

I also got some pills with an extract from this fruit which apparently blocks your bitter and sour taste senses.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

This week my Kwanzaa gift was a donation to some political transparency group and a pamphlet on Mitch McConnell's donations.

Weird choice to keep for the international buyers.

I also got some pills with an extract from this fruit which apparently blocks your bitter and sour taste senses.

Mine was a deed to a small piece of some island they bought and called Hawaii 2. :stare:

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

PaganGoatPants posted:

Mine was a deed to a small piece of some island they bought and called Hawaii 2. :stare:

We all got that, neighbor!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Hollow and semi hollow bodies are awesome. When I got my first one, I had to ask myself why more guitarists don't use them. They sound great and are more beautiful.

A gag gift for my niece. She can appreciate some black humor:

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
An apartment I cant afford.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ChocNitty posted:

Hollow and semi hollow bodies are awesome. When I got my first one, I had to ask myself why more guitarists don't use them. They sound great and are more beautiful.

A gag gift for my niece. She can appreciate some black humor:

quote:

Verified Purchase
I ordered these plague masks for last passover. Unfortunately the package had 2 boils and no first born and was short a plague I believe. I wrote a review to that effect. They must have seen it and in a matter of weeks, a new package arrived with a complete set of masks.I appreciate going the extra mile without being asked for such a trivial item.Mistakes happen and they tried to fix the error. I would definitely order from them again. Thanks so much.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

In the spirit of passover I was spared a minor inconvenience; 5 stars

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!

Guru Yaekob posted:

An apartment I cant afford.

Those look like Mark Taylor apartments in the PHX metro area, yeah? Pricey but definitely worth it.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Trying to step up home decor game.

Medium rug for bedroom (3x5)

Larger rug for living room (5x8)

Steve Alan vase, I like Steve Alan and I don't have Woot Fatigues money so I can't buy Picaso pieces.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Roccat Kone Pure gaming mouse as a Christmas present to myself

I don't even game that hardcore, but the Easy Shift + it has or whatever it's called is making controlling Spotify and browsing the web so much easier. Plus, customisable LED's are like crack to me.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

My friends and I do that after getting drunk(it makes alcohol taste like poo poo) every New Year. We take some and slice up lemons and suck on the slices like candy. It's amazing.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

My friends and I do that after getting drunk(it makes alcohol taste like poo poo) every New Year. We take some and slice up lemons and suck on the slices like candy. It's amazing.

I did it once and it was amazing, but it turned south when I realized that, although drinking 5 shots of vinegar TASTED like a sweet lemonade, my stomach disagreed :(

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I bought the white car cause the black car was lonely

crutt has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Dec 26, 2014

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What does it make dicks taste like? (this is a serious question)

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Arrest that rear end! posted:

What does it make dicks taste like? (this is a serious question)

Well, there's one way to find out.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Not my picture but..NVIDIA Shield tablet. Bought it for the game stream feature and so far it works great. Really happy with it so far.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
No pictures, but I bought an emergency appendectomy on Christmas eve. I'm sure it won't be that expensive once they send me the bill... :shepicide:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

No Egrets posted:

No pictures, but I bought an emergency appendectomy on Christmas eve. I'm sure it won't be that expensive once they send me the bill... :shepicide:

Just wait until you pay it off, then two years after that a collector comes after you for unpaid funds. :iiam:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

No Egrets posted:

That's horrible :(

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Got a pair of weightlifting shoes:

Also grabbed some fractional weight plates (i.e. increments smaller than the plates you typically find in a gym, which usually run from 2.5 to 45 lbs) in a set of a pair each of 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, and 1 lb plates. Also picked up some hilariously garish knee-high socks in blaze orange so I won't scrape my shins on the barbell and hunters won't mistake my freakishly hairy calves for swole gophers and shoot them.

Jigg
Jul 6, 2004

Finally got a decent recording interface:

Word to the wise, don't use USB-powered crap.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Jason Edmiston 24"x36" print limited to 150 pieces.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Been needing new boots for months so I splurged with the help of an Amazon gift card:

Doc Martens Icon

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Bought some new bottles to restock my liquor supply...

(Maker's 46, Stoli, tequila & rum added to what I already had...still need more but I'm pretty much cashed out from the holidays)

...to go with the :krad: bar and glassware my awesome wife bought me for Christmas:

Geoj has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Dec 26, 2014

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Got a pair of weightlifting shoes:

Also grabbed some fractional weight plates (i.e. increments smaller than the plates you typically find in a gym, which usually run from 2.5 to 45 lbs) in a set of a pair each of 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, and 1 lb plates. Also picked up some hilariously garish knee-high socks in blaze orange so I won't scrape my shins on the barbell and hunters won't mistake my freakishly hairy calves for swole gophers and shoot them.

For curiosity, I thought for weight lifting, you wanted to have your shoes to be as flat as possible - what does the raised heel stuff do?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

crutt posted:

I bought the white car cause the black car was lonely

Why, did Robo Cop start taking different car to work?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

For curiosity, I thought for weight lifting, you wanted to have your shoes to be as flat as possible - what does the raised heel stuff do?

It can help with squats depending on style and ankle mobility.

E: and Olympic lifts.

Bobby Digital has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I bought a ps4. It was going to happen eventually,and it happened today. Got as far as character customization, failed to save my details and decided to put it down in lieu of dinner.

Then I'll sacrifice a goat with the hopes of bringing the psn back online.