Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Je suis fatigue posted:

It has to be the same, right?

Nope. Nick owns Avatar lock, stock and barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Je suis fatigue posted:

I really enjoyed Korra, every season and every episode, even if it was a bit ham-handedly written at times. Actually the first four episodes of season 2 are kinda boring, but there's some good stuff in there still.

People kept saying that more Avatar stuff wasn't gonna happen because Nick has the rights and they hate it or whatever.... Would Nick lose the rights after a certain time period if they didn't utilize it? I know that happens with movies which is why we keep getting reboots like Amazing Spider-Man or X-men First Class. It has to be the same, right?

That's not how copyright law works

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

JT Jag posted:

Well, Kuvira was arguably right about one thing, that someone had to stand up and bring order to the anarchy that had come to the Earth Kingdom. The Avatar wasn't around to do it, Suyin refused to do it, so she felt like it was her duty. It was her methods that were flawed.
She Was Totally Out of Balance

And So Was Her Mech

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Je suis fatigue posted:

I really enjoyed Korra, every season and every episode, even if it was a bit ham-handedly written at times. Actually the first four episodes of season 2 are kinda boring, but there's some good stuff in there still.

People kept saying that more Avatar stuff wasn't gonna happen because Nick has the rights and they hate it or whatever.... Would Nick lose the rights after a certain time period if they didn't utilize it? I know that happens with movies which is why we keep getting reboots like Amazing Spider-Man or X-men First Class. It has to be the same, right?

In the US, the current copyright period for works made for hire is 95 years, and that's probably only going to increase indefinitely as there are certain people who are very interested in making sure they maintain control of Micky Mouse and Superman. Unless someone fucks up a renewal don't expect anything made in the US after 1923 to enter public domain.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jackard posted:

She Was Totally Out of Balance

And So Was Her Mech

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Nick is a big business - unless both the producers just straight up catch fire and die spontaneously they're either going to:

1. Make more Avatar stuff, in one way or another
2. Sell the rights to someone else
3. Find a way to make money off of internet nerds

They're not going to sit on something that might turn into money, even if they've been really loving stupid in the past. Hopefully everyone will move on, get refreshed, and then Nick/someone who buys the rights will get them back together.

ps. Please don't catch fire spontaneously, unless you post in this thread.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

T-man posted:

You first. :colbert:

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

T-man posted:

Nick is a big business - unless both the producers just straight up catch fire and die spontaneously they're either going to:

They're not going to sit on something that might turn into money, even if they've been really loving stupid in the past. Hopefully everyone will move on, get refreshed, and then Nick/someone who buys the rights will get them back together.

I don't know who they'd sell it to, other than Cartoon Network. And do they really want to hand a big hitter IP to their competition, who would probably monetize it more effectively than they can?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

T-man posted:

Or they'll just sit on it and let it make DVD sales and the occasional rerun. Nick has a ridiculous number of IPs they've allowed to languish and fade away, I'm not sure why you think Avatar would be any different.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's not like it's unusual in the slightest for a TV show to just end. Most things do eventually.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One day we will all be dead, and nobody will care about Avatar.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TheBalor posted:

I don't know who they'd sell it to, other than Cartoon Network. And do they really want to hand a big hitter IP to their competition, who would probably monetize it more effectively than they can?

Cartoon Network cancelled Young Justice and the Green Lantern animated series, they're no stranger to completely loving up really good animated shows.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The last episode had the anime laser beam that causes a line of delayed explosions along the ground. It's impossible for an action animation to escalate any further than that laser beam. It had no choice but to end when it did. And that's fine.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ImpAtom posted:

Or they'll just sit on it and let it make DVD sales and the occasional rerun. Nick has a ridiculous number of IPs they've allowed to languish and fade away, I'm not sure why you think Avatar would be any different.

Yeah, it's not at all uncommon to not milk an IP for ever and ever. Sure, nerdy IPs tend to get milked endlessly, but Nick hasn't really had an IP like that before so there is no telling if they'll try to make a franchise out of it. Chances are it probably is done TV-wise. If not, cool. If so, well, it had a good run.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Bongo Bill posted:

The last episode had the anime laser beam that causes a line of delayed explosions along the ground. It's impossible for an action animation to escalate any further than that laser beam. It had no choice but to end when it did. And that's fine.

They had the Spirit of Ultimate Evil Forever fight the hero in a giant laser fight, and then they did two more seasons. :colbert:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

T-man posted:

They had the Spirit of Ultimate Evil Forever fight the hero in a giant laser fight, and then they did two more seasons. :colbert:

This still kind of annoys me,still hanging on to Vaatu being corrupted in some way coming from the comics.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bongo Bill posted:

Earth bender bends the moon into the planet. Fire bender deflects the moon by bending the sun.

Check and mate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SirKibbles posted:

This still kind of annoys me,still hanging on to Vaatu being corrupted in some way coming from the comics.

You mean you're not a fan of having a spirit of good and spirit of evil? I guess it really doesn't fit with the series. Probably would have been better a spirit of order and chaos. Both of those are more morally grey due to both having down sides.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Go through Book 2, replace every instance of "light" with "order" and "darkness" with "chaos," season improves by like 20%.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kibayasu posted:

Cartoon Network cancelled Young Justice and the Green Lantern animated series, they're no stranger to completely loving up really good animated shows.

Like duh, Megan, catchphrase catchphrase Young Justice sucked.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Covok posted:

You mean you're not a fan of having a spirit of good and spirit of evil? I guess it really doesn't fit with the series. Probably would have been better a spirit of order and chaos. Both of those are more morally grey due to both having down sides.

He's only really evil in the sense that he doesn't want to protect humanity. I mean yes that's the logical way to define good and evil but it's a selfish definition; it's not like he wanted to end existence or some dumb thing like that (though he did think he could kill Raava once and for all).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Like duh, Megan, catchphrase catchphrase Young Justice sucked.

I guess you're right. A single line used a few times by a single character (in addition to Robin's dumb thing) during the first season ruined it all. No point in watching any of it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Covok posted:

Yeah I just don't like that they called him evil instead of chaotic because it doesn't fit with the rest of the show.

computer parts posted:

He's only really evil in the sense that he doesn't want to protect humanity. I mean yes that's the logical way to define good and evil but it's a selfish definition; it's not like he wanted to end existence or some dumb thing like that (though he did think he could kill Raava once and for all).

I'll concede I could be totally missing something, Raava originally doesn't want to protect humanity either she's framed as assholish from a human perspective but not literal cackling evill like Vaatu is. (10,000 years of darkness etc.)

Kibayasu posted:

I guess you're right. A single line used a few times by a single character (in addition to Robin's dumb thing) during the first season ruined it all. No point in watching any of it.

1. Taking the obvious joke too seriously chilll.
2. loving up writing(in this case characterization) can drive people away (see Korra season one where alot of people did the 3 episode test and bailed because it was mostly Pro-bending and romance.)

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 24, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheBalor posted:

They could sell the rights to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon. All three companies are looking for new IP's, recognize the potential in a show that is watched mostly by the 18-35 demographic that'd rather stream things anyway, and have the money to give Bryke the budget they need to keep the quality of animation.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Sydin posted:

They could sell the rights to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon. All three companies are looking for new IP's, recognize the potential in a show that is watched mostly by the 18-35 demographic that'd rather stream things anyway, and have the money to give Bryke the budget they need to keep the quality of animation.

I can see Nick giving the Avatar IP one more shot (trying to sell toys/merchandise) then just selling to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon like you said. Nick aint stupid though it's going to cost those companies an arm and maybe the first born child of the shareholders.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Reene posted:

My biggest regret is that Asami didn't shockglove more suckers.

JT Jag posted:

I wish Asami invented a new gadget every year so the playing-field got more even every time she fights benders. Like, the shock-glove is a start, but she should have added rocket boots and a net-gun and other cool stuff and eventually she'd just single-handedly beat an entire group of benders in season four, like Avatar-World Batgirl

Feelin' this. Bending fights are cool, but I love to see non-benders get to gently caress poo poo up too. In addition to more Asami, it would've been cool to see Bumi in action prior to him becoming an airbender.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

computer parts posted:

I would agree if not for the delivery of his lines. It's a super mustache-twirly cartoon evil villain delivery, and he even gloats about the destruction he's about to bring. If they wanted to portray him as a spirit of chaos, not evil, he should have just been like "yeah I'm gonna kill most/all humans, what of it."

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

SirKibbles posted:

]Nick aint stupid though it's going to cost those companies an arm and maybe the first born child of the shareholders.

[Citation Needed]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SirKibbles posted:

I can see Nick giving the Avatar IP one more shot (trying to sell toys/merchandise) then just selling to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon like you said. Nick aint stupid though it's going to cost those companies an arm and maybe the first born child of the shareholders.

Agreed, which is why if I think it would be anybody, it would be Amazon. They have the money to swallow a large sale price, and they're also struggling to wrench viewers away from Netflix to Amazon Prime streaming. They'd probably be willing to drop a decent chunk of change on the Avatar IP, since it has a well established fanbase that they could hook onto their streaming service.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SirKibbles posted:

Yeah I just don't like that they called him evil instead of chaotic because it doesn't fit with the rest of the show.

It also goes against the basic concept of Yin and Yang which is really weird considering this is supposed to be eastern themed.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
I vaguely remember seeing or hearing someone in Avatar: The Last Airbender saying that the air nomads all just "Turned into air" or something, like they ascended from their mortal bodies and found enlightenment.

But when I rewatched A:TLA I never heard anything about that. Was that sometihng that popped up on screen during Nickelodeon's pop-up trivia airing of A:TLA years ago, like an alternate version of how Bryke were considering handling their disappearance?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was in another forum when someone asked "How are Korra and Asami going to have kids?" :cripes: It all went to poo poo.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was in another forum when someone asked "How are Korra and Asami going to have kids?" :cripes: It all went to poo poo.
:confused:
The same way they'd do it in real life, adopt

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Miss Nomer posted:

:confused:
The same way they'd do it in real life, adopt

Have you been on SA or seen things? Fandom will find a way. A horrible, terrible, nightmarishly insane way.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jesto posted:

I vaguely remember seeing or hearing someone in Avatar: The Last Airbender saying that the air nomads all just "Turned into air" or something, like they ascended from their mortal bodies and found enlightenment.

But when I rewatched A:TLA I never heard anything about that. Was that sometihng that popped up on screen during Nickelodeon's pop-up trivia airing of A:TLA years ago, like an alternate version of how Bryke were considering handling their disappearance?
You're probably thinking of what Avatar Yangchen said to Aang when he conferred with her.

:v: "But the monks taught me that I had to detach myself from the world so my spirit could be free."
:j: "Many great and wise Air Nomads have detached themselves and achieved spiritual enlightenment...but the Avatar can never do it, because your sole duty is to the world."

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 24, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

Streaming services have brought us some great exclusive stuff, but it's all been stuff that can be done relatively low budget with little to nothing in special effects. I get the feeling people saying a streaming service migth pick it up don't understand just how expensive animation is, let alone when compared to live action dramas and comedies.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Mraagvpeine posted:

They're going to adopt adorable spirit babies:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Eej posted:

It also goes against the basic concept of Yin and Yang which is really weird considering this is supposed to be eastern themed.
Vaatu is more likely Ahriman from Zoroastrianism

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

ImpAtom posted:

A situation where a company would lose the rights to characters they own exists only long after we're all dead. Probably not even then if Disney has its way.

The Spider-Man or X-Men stuff is because Marvel owns the characters, they licensed the film rights to other studios, which is not the same thing.

Microcline posted:

In the US, the current copyright period for works made for hire is 95 years, and that's probably only going to increase indefinitely as there are certain people who are very interested in making sure they maintain control of Micky Mouse and Superman. Unless someone fucks up a renewal don't expect anything made in the US after 1923 to enter public domain.

Ah okay yeah that all makes sense, I never really thought too deeply about why the Marvel/Sony/Fox situation was the way it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

• Locked thread