Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My copies of Zenith phase 1 and 2 arrived the other day, I'm still blown away that they got reprinted at all.

Only disappointment is the lack of extras - there's no foreword, creator interviews or anything, just a covers gallery in each volume. Still, can't wait for the final 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My copy of the second JSA omnibus came in the post today. It's actually slightly (there is really not much in it) thinner than the first one despite having almost 200 more pages. Must've switched to thinner paper; I haven't taken the plastic off it yet (I'm reading something else at the moment) so I've not been able to check yet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Amazon has an offer to take 25% off a single book (up to $10) this weekend. Use code BOOKDEAL25 at checkout.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC is finally collecting the fantastic Deadshot mini series from a few years ago

quote:

DEADSHOT: BULLETPROOF TP
Written by CHRISTOS N. GAGE
Art by STEVEN CUMMINGS, JIMMY PALMIOTTI and PHIL WINSLADE
Cover by MIKE ZECK
On sale APRIL 15 • 144 pg, FC, $14.99 US
In this epic tale, Deadshot learns he has a daughter! When he discovers she’s living in a neighborhood plagued by violence, he decides to clean up the area by any means necessary! But can even a former Suicide Squad member give his daughter a life of peace and security? Collects DEADSHOT #1-5 and BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #214.

And a new edition of the original Deathstroke trade

quote:

DEATHSTROKE THE TERMINATOR VOL. 1: ASSASSINS TP
Written by MARV WOLFMAN
Art by STEVE ERWIN and WILL BLYBERG
Cover by MIKE ZECK
On sale APRIL 8 • 264 pg, FC, $19.99 US
In these tales from DEATHSTROKE THE TERMINATOR #1-9 and THE NEW TITANS #70, Deathstroke hunts for the man who tried to kill his ex-wife – the man called the Ravager. Then, someone is knocking off the crime bosses of Gotham City. It’s up to Deathstroke to eliminate the competition – but Batman doesn’t take kindly to intruders on his turf.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Say, wasn't DC going to put out the Mieville run of 'Dial H' in hardcover? I can't recall where I read it, but I can't seem to find any news on it at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Say, wasn't DC going to put out the Mieville run of 'Dial H' in hardcover? I can't recall where I read it, but I can't seem to find any news on it at all.

It's also solicited this month.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any idea when Deadpool the Good the Bad and the Ugly is coming out in hardback?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gfanikf posted:

Any idea when Deadpool the Good the Bad and the Ugly is coming out in hardback?

Its not getting it's own hc volume, it'll be part if the second oshc.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhyno posted:

Its not getting it's own hc volume, it'll be part if the second oshc.

Any timeline for when that's coming out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gfanikf posted:

Any timeline for when that's coming out?

I don't think it had officially been solicited, might be in amazon though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Check out what arrived today (as a slightly late birthday present):

#worsttasteincomics

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What the gently caress is that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

What the gently caress is that

X-Men: Inferno: Prologue

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

#worsttasteincomics

Is that the Outback years? Those are awesome comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, it includes the X-Men, X-Factor and New Mutants issues between FOTM and Inferno.

Which means that there's only one substantial section of Claremont's run that remains uncollected; Uncanny X-Men #154-198.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, it includes the X-Men, X-Factor and New Mutants issues between FOTM and Inferno.

Which means that there's only one substantial section of Claremont's run that remains uncollected; Uncanny X-Men #154-198.

Which most of it is in Masterworks

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hang on, I forgot Essentials. The whole thing's there.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Metal Loaf posted:

#worsttasteincomics
Oh my god you bastard, I'm going to break into your house and steal it

(or just buy it after Christmas when I might have money again).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm really curious to see where DC goes with the JSA Omnibus series next. The second volume ends at #75 with another year of uncollected stories. Plus there's JSA Classified and All Stars and the Justice Society of America series to collect. Maybe the Magog ongoing to get it all reprinted together. I find these books to be just a bit too big as both of mine are already showing stress on the upper spine binding.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They're doing a third volume which will take them into OYL through to the end of Johns's run.

From that blog:

quote:

I was wrong -- I thought they'd quit after two volumes. This'll definitely make some people happy. It's (preliminarily) JSA #76-87, Justice Society of America #1-28, Justice League of America #8-10, Justice Society of America Annual #1, JSA Kingdom Come Special: Superman #1, JSA Kingdom Come Special: Magog #1, and JSA Kingdom Come Special: The Kingdom #1. That's past Geoff Johns and into the Jerry Ordway issues, though it stops before the Bill Willingham/Matthew Sturges material. Now I think they're done, though there is material out there for a fourth volume.

On a related note, DC is also doing a Wonder Woman by George Pérez omnibus, which is going to include the issues he pencilled (#1-24, I think), but he wrote quite a lot more than that, so I hope it's eventually collected as well.

You know what omnibus series I'd be dead keen on from DC? The Power of Shazam by Jerry Ordway. DC seems more inclined to go for 1200-page monsters than marvel, so I reckon they could fit the lot into a couple of volumes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm bummed at the lack of JSA Classified #1-4 but that's cool.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, it might still be included. As far as I'm aware, that's just what the guy who wrote that blog post suspects is very likely to be included. DC changed the contents of the two previous omniboo before they were released, after all.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Are Barnes & Noble's online prices always this terrible, or did they raise everything to make their Buy 2 Get 1 not actually a good deal? I just ordered the 3 omnibuses I wanted at IST for a significantly lower price.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Their prices are usually not good and beating IST often requires planets to align. There are a couple exceptions (Fantagraphics in particular) but generally it goes IST then Amazon then Amazon marketplace then Amazon warehouse deals then B&N.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Zachack posted:

Their prices are usually not good and beating IST often requires planets to align. There are a couple exceptions (Fantagraphics in particular) but generally it goes IST then Amazon then Amazon marketplace then Amazon warehouse deals then B&N.

I mean, I didn't expect them to beat IST or Amazon in any 1-to-1 comparisons. But when you can't beat other store's normal prices when you're running a Buy 2 Get 1 Free? Ouch.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I mean, I didn't expect them to beat IST or Amazon in any 1-to-1 comparisons. But when you can't beat other store's normal prices when you're running a Buy 2 Get 1 Free? Ouch.

IST's discounts are usually at least 30% so with books that cost the same it's basically buy 2 get 1 anyways.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy gently caress.

The Secret Wars box set is carrying a $500 price tag.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Rhyno posted:

Holy gently caress.

Isn't that the same as the recent Marvel 75th box? 10 hardcovers @ $50 each, minus whatever discount you can find online.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheManWithNoName posted:

Isn't that the same as the recent Marvel 75th box? 10 hardcovers @ $50 each, minus whatever discount you can find online.

The other set was all Masterworks though, this feels like a bit much considering the material being reprinted.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of, the local Forbidden Planet has a copy of the Secret Wars omnibus, which as I understand it is out of print. They're charging 75 quid for it, though, which is a bit too steep. I'm not sure the story (such as it is) is really worth it when there's a more reasonably-priced TPB available.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Speaking of, the local Forbidden Planet has a copy of the Secret Wars omnibus, which as I understand it is out of print. They're charging 75 quid for it, though, which is a bit too steep. I'm not sure the story (such as it is) is really worth it when there's a more reasonably-priced TPB available.

The aftermarket on Marvel Omni's is what prompts them to jack the price. I myself have successfully sold many of them for 3 or 4 times cover price in the past.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The third and apparently final LoEG Nemo book comes out in March:

quote:

In a world where all the fictions ever written coalesce into a rich mosaic, it's 1975. Janni Dakkar, pirate queen of Lincoln Island and head of the fabled Nemo family, is eighty years old and beginning to display a tenuous grasp on reality. Pursuing shadows from her past - or her imagination - she embarks on what may be a final voyage down the vastness of the Amazon, a last attempt to put to rest the blood-drenched spectres of old. With allies and adversaries old and new, we accompany an aging predator on her obsessive trek into the cultural landscape of a strange new continent, from the ruined city of Yu-Atlanchi to the fabulous plateau of Maple White Land. As the dark threads in her narrative are drawn into an inescapable web, Captain Nemo leads her hearse-black Nautilus in a desperate raid on horrors believed dead for decades. Through the exotic spectacle of an imagined South America, Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill steer their fifty-year-long Nemo trilogy to its remarkable conclusion, borne upon a River of Ghosts.

(Yu-Atlanchi is from the book The Face in the Abyss by Abraham Merritt; Maple White Land is from The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle.)

That might be Ilsa on the right.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Rhyno posted:

Holy gently caress.

Just seen this and.... Hahahaha, holy crap. That's a lot of money for a lot of crappy comics. I have to admit I bought the SW2 omnibus but that was purely nostalgia as I used to get the weekly SW comic that came out here in the UK.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shameless posted:

Just seen this and.... Hahahaha, holy crap. That's a lot of money for a lot of crappy comics. I have to admit I bought the SW2 omnibus but that was purely nostalgia as I used to get the weekly SW comic that came out here in the UK.

Well it looks like I can cash in all my points at work (how i get certain books at cost) at once on this one. It'd be $225 plus tax then. Still not sure I need it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see that Power Man and Iron Fist: Heroes for Hire and the Iron Fist solo series have been added to Marvel's Epic Collection line.

To tie in with their upcoming Netflix series, no doubt, and I think their Bronze Age material isn't very well-represented in collections outside the Essentials line, either (same could be said of Daredevil in both regards, as well). Even so, I'm susprised that there hasn't been a Hulk collection in this line yet. Then again, Moon Knight and Silver Surfer weren't exactly obvious additions themselves.

Didn't the Moon Knight one turn out to be one of the biggest-selling Epics yet, too?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I picked up a cool, $8 find the other day--a thick hardcover called Batman: From The 30s Through the 70s from 1971. It's a very well put-together kind-of-best-of collection of strips and full comics from that spread of years, broken up by decade, some in color, some not. It made a fine addition to the bat-library.

not my photo, but look at that old-school charm

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How does The Authority and Planetary intermingle? I'm currently reading the Planetary omnibus and people have mentioned The Authority as well. Is there an Authority omnibus I should be looking into?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

obi_ant posted:

How does The Authority and Planetary intermingle? I'm currently reading the Planetary omnibus and people have mentioned The Authority as well. Is there an Authority omnibus I should be looking into?

They don't really, except for the fact that they're in the same universe. If you're interested, the only Authority worth reading is Ellis's and Hitch's (short) run, which is in hardcover. I guess if you can stomach Millar you can continue onwards, but nobody quite had the same scale of ideas as Ellis, unfortunately.

Planetary is more or less independent because that's sorta what a super clandestine group tends to do. Their nemeses are another super clandestine group, which may explain why The Authority never gave a poo poo. Except for one crossover (where the two groups still never meet), they are pretty much separate.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

There is the Planetary/Authority one-shot, where the teams work together to stop a common threat, but don't actually ever meet on-page. We also learn Something Interesting regarding Snow and Jenny Sparks, leader of the Authority. It takes place sometime during the first third of Planetary (say around #6-10?--a few weeks have passed since the Doc Brass issue), and is a fun read.

There are also references to The High, a Superman-type character the Jenny et al dealt with, but that occured at the end of Ellis' Stormwatch, just prior to Authority kicking off.
I think that's it.

There is an Ellis Authority hardcover containing his 12 issues, yes. There is a second HC containing the subsequent Millar run as well.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I bought the Ellis Authority hardcover last year but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Should I seek out his Stormwatch run too?