Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Geostomp posted:

I've actually found that aggregate user scores on Metacritic should be taken with a grain of salt at best. Way too many reviews on that site or either ridiculous fanboy praising (i.e. the reason anything related to FFXIII has a score in the 80s) or hate so pure you'd swear that the game in question managed to kill off a relative. Both throw off the score so much that the totals are all but useless, especially for niche games that tend to attract responses from the extremes the most.

Just try it yourself. This game is worth it, but not perfect.

Yeah this game has a bunch of people who found it pleasantly playable and then some people who... I dunno, they found the padding, hated the padding, and then still couldn't stop doing the padding?

Also some people who are mad about getting bad framerates, but I didn't have that problem. I did like the guy whose response to "my framerates are bad" wasn't "tic some settings down" but "blow a heap of money on a GTX 980". Some people just gotta have that 4k resolution and maxed sliders, I guess :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Dorian's daddy issues also stem from his dad freaking out that his son is gay. It's a sad thing that 100% happens in real life. Of course this is Dragon Age so the response to "my son is gay" is "brainwash him with blood magic" :v:

My fiance's parents were like that with him. They even tried to put him through conversion therapy. It really hosed him, and he still struggles with identity issues. He was sitting right next to me when I did Dorian's quest (didn't know what it would be. It was my first run), and it really hit home for him.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AndyElusive posted:

loving LOL.

I just watched a clip of what I would assume is a post coital scene between a male inquisitor and Iron Bull where Bull is just laying around buck naked and Cullen, Josi and Cass all walk in one at a time and get completely taken off guard.

"Oh for gently caress'S SAKE!"

I need to see this, link?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MooselanderII posted:

I'm interested in getting this game, but one thing that keeps holding me back are how all over the place the reviews seem to be. Why is the aggregate user score so low?

It has a strong gay companion and a strong black woman, and one NPC is referred to as transgender in passing (unless you start asking about it). This alone warrants enough for gamers to yell "pandering!" and rate it 1 star within 5 minutes of the game being released.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Shugojin posted:

Yeah this game has a bunch of people who found it pleasantly playable and then some people who... I dunno, they found the padding, hated the padding, and then still couldn't stop doing the padding?

Also some people who are mad about getting bad framerates, but I didn't have that problem. I did like the guy whose response to "my framerates are bad" wasn't "tic some settings down" but "blow a heap of money on a GTX 980". Some people just gotta have that 4k resolution and maxed sliders, I guess :v:

I'd also like to note that the 5 or 10 point scale most sites use is a stupid and arbitrary concept: not only does it heavily depend on individual preferences, but nobody can even agree what the scores should mean. Is a 6 decent, or is it just barely above failure like in school? If so, why would 1-5 exist? Is bland gameplay/story as bad as games that are barely functional? It's just so overly simplistic that it just invites the kind extreme love/hate response you get from random people with no idea what they're talking about. It only gets worse when you add shills, trolls, "moral guardians", and people upset about the game slighting their stance on *insert issue here* (whether the slight was real or imagined is immaterial) into the equation. All that nonsense being given equal weight to actual reviews more or less ruins anything resembling objectivity.

I have long since learned that videogame critics and scoring is absolutely useless as a measure of actual quality.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 25, 2014

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

eating only apples posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr8-5Fn_6XY
It's pretty amazing. Spoilers for IB romance obviously.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

eating only apples posted:

This is my IB romance playthrough, I can't wait! :allears:

e: loving priceless

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 25, 2014

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Eimi posted:

/E: On an unrelated note I really do like the subtle changes with Varric between DA2 and DAI. In DA2 he totally feels like Hawke's best friend, while he's still himself with the Inquisitor their relationship is a bit cooler. I like that.

It fits Varric so well too. One woman, one crossbow, one home, one best friend.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Dorian's daddy issues also stem from his dad freaking out that his son is gay. It's a sad thing that 100% happens in real life. Of course this is Dragon Age so the response to "my son is gay" is "brainwash him with blood magic" :v:

He's Tevinter. The answer to everything is 'blood magic'.

Acually that goes for all mages, not just Tevinter.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sarmhan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr8-5Fn_6XY
It's pretty amazing. Spoilers for IB romance obviously.

I did something wrong. I... I read the comments.

The stupid has done something to my brain. It hurts.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't understand this explanation. Flemeth wants to give Solas her power, and yet also give Morrigan her power? How does that work. She gave her godhood to Solas so how does she have anything left to give to Morrigan?
Talking about the ending here

She has two powers, her spark of mythal and the power of the well, she wants to give the spark to Solas her oldest friend so he can do what he desires but also give morrigan knowledge and ancient power, hence she wants her to take the well.
The other interpretation is this is why Mythal wants the god power from Morrigan's son, so she can give one to Solas and the other to Morrigan.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So how do daggers work? Does it alternate between the two daggers damage values or just use the better of the two? What if you only equip one?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Talking about the ending here

She has two powers, her spark of mythal and the power of the well, she wants to give the spark to Solas her oldest friend so he can do what he desires but also give morrigan knowledge and ancient power, hence she wants her to take the well.
The other interpretation is this is why Mythal wants the god power from Morrigan's son, so she can give one to Solas and the other to Morrigan.

Maybe she wants Morrigan to drink from the Well of Sorrows as well?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

flosofl posted:

I did something wrong. I... I read the comments.

The stupid has done something to my brain. It hurts.

I was curious, so I checked the comments.

What the gently caress. :psyduck:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow. Can't say I'm entirely surprised at those video comments.

I mean, they are loving YouTube comments after all.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Someone said earlier that they'd like a Skyrim-esque advancement of the storyline sorry, I couldn't find your post to quote, but Bioware can't do that...the games are called Dragon AGE. In the setting, we've got 50 more years of hijinks before Bioware and EA need to pour multiple millions of advertising dollars into convincing us that the new age is the God Age, Resurrection Age or whatever. More likely, they'll find an in-game reason to abolish or (more likely, to protect brand) extend the count of years.

Somewhat related, I strongly suspect any DLC will involve the Wardens and Darkspawn cause, hey, what better excuse to add new enemies to the multiplayer? That said, they added the Collecters to ME3 multiplayer without adding them to single player so what do I know? :shrug:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

There's really no reason for them to change the series title if they advance it outside the Dragon Age. It'd be idiotic.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

AndyElusive posted:

Wow. Can't say I'm entirely surprised at those video comments.

I mean, they are loving YouTube comments after all.

Add the people behind comments like those to the list of reasons why the user ratings for this game can be schizophrenic, I guess. Some people get really mad about this sort of thing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, going with the Templars really is easy mode. Also not quite as sinister or imposing as dealing with Evil Future Venatori rear end in a top hat.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

On the other hand, having a boss with a name you recognize (Fiona) has, for lack of a better word, more feeling than beating up a giant lump of crystal, however horrifying and dangerous said crystal monster is.

I find it funny that a recurring character from their book series can be reduced to a cutscene-less boss fight that you literally disintegrate into ashes without a word.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How the hell do I get inside that northern area on the Western Approach? Both doors I've found that look like they go in there say they open from a different mechanism.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

How the hell do I get inside that northern area on the Western Approach? Both doors I've found that look like they go in there say they open from a different mechanism.

Take the fort, you'll get a mission from the commander.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, you need to construct a bridge that lets you get behind all that business. The mechanism to open those doors is on the other side. Which makes them some of the most sensibly designed fortifications in the game, consider all the others allow you to open the doors from the front or simply bash them down.

Speaking of bashing doors down, I realized too late after I cleared the Crestwood fort that I forgot to pick up the Sad Splinters. I guess I won't be getting the sad weapon this playthrough either.

and speaking of crafting, I understand Bioware not including recipes for vitaar simply because how do you justify turning leather, cotton and metal into face paint, but really they should just have it use herb materials, so you have something to use herbs on after you upgrade all your potions and bombs. Heck, most of the vitaar are named after stuff like deathroot anyway.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 25, 2014

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Lotish posted:

On the other hand, having a boss with a name you recognize (Fiona) has, for lack of a better word, more feeling than beating up a giant lump of crystal, however horrifying and dangerous said crystal monster is.

I find it funny that a recurring character from their book series can be reduced to a cutscene-less boss fight that you literally disintegrate into ashes without a word.

Fiona was really weirdly handled in this game. I got the impression that she was a character from the books because one of her dialogues mentions Duncan, but there's a lot of poo poo there that I felt like I needed to read the wiki to get, and that pissed me off. You shouldn't be able to kill her so quickly (I honestly missed it happening when I went Templar on my second play-through, and I was playing on Hard so it's not like the fight was a total pushover....) Also, there should be a bit more in the game implying that She's Alistair's mom. I played through all theses games multiple times but never read any books and didn't even know elves could have human kids. And what's with her asking you about him right after the mage mission? He literally just showed up to chew her out and she asks me about it? I dunno. There's a scene where her politics and life choices forces her abandoned son, who by the way is now KING, to exile her. That's some insane melodrama and would totally have been enough to get me very invested in her character... if the game had spent half a second to reach out to those of us who don't read mediocre fantasy novels.

Or say the fact that Cole's friend Rhys was Wynn's son. That's the kinda poo poo, as a fan of the series but obviously not one whose consumed the ancillary media, I wanted to know.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, she was hoping you had gotten to say more than two words to Alistair, whereas she got thrown out on her rear end as soon as they met, because by that point she'd kind of screwed the pooch.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Or say the fact that Cole's friend Rhys was Wynn's son. That's the kinda poo poo, as a fan of the series but obviously not one whose consumed the ancillary media, I wanted to know.

:psyduck: Wat?! Holy poo poo gently caress books for games. That's insane, as insane as the summary execution of Fiona if you go Templars is. Wow.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I marked some items as Valuable, but I want to get them out of there so I can equip them. How do I do it? I'm on PC.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Should be able to just unmark them from the valuables tab in your inventory page.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is this ever coming out on the Mac?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, go into the Valuables tab, select the item and click "Unmark for Sale."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I kind of hate the Valuables category.

At first I thought it was a place for poo poo I wanted to keep, but nope, it's actually stuff I want to sell. Except no, wait, the game puts research items in there too. Things that I might actually want to turn in.

So why don't those research items have their own category instead of being thrown into the category meant for vendor trash?

:mad:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Lotish posted:

Yeah, go into the Valuables tab, select the item and click "Unmark for Sale."

Oh... you can scroll down.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

I kind of hate the Valuables category.

At first I thought it was a place for poo poo I wanted to keep, but nope, it's actually stuff I want to sell. Except no, wait, the game puts research items in there too. Things that I might actually want to turn in.

So why don't those research items have their own category instead of being thrown into the category meant for vendor trash?

:mad:
Its loving dumb, is what it is.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Does playing an elf still suck this time around?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ManSedan posted:

Nope, elves get a ton of race-specific dialogue and reactions, maybe even the most out of any race, and a unique romance that's pretty interesting.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I crafted some dagger grips, but can't put them on my daggers. Is it because they're level 10 grips and either my level or my dagger level is under level 10?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

VulgarandStupid posted:

I crafted some dagger grips, but can't put them on my daggers. Is it because they're level 10 grips and either my level or my dagger level is under level 10?

There's regular and dual blade daggers, is the only difference.

Rainfall
Jun 5, 2008

ManSedan posted:

Elves get +ranged defense which means you don't die to archers and you get a shitload of exclusive elf dialogues.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The only time I'd use Sell All was to dupe, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Speedball posted:

Man, going with the Templars really is easy mode. Also not quite as sinister or imposing as dealing with Evil Future Venatori rear end in a top hat.

Honestly, storywise I can't really not justify going with the mages at first, now that I've had time to think about it. Even if (hell, especially if) you know that the magisters are taking over, wouldn't you want more antimagic on your side? Ser Barris is also a little more tolerable than Fiona (at least for me). Gameplaywise, the Templar path is also the only one to give you stat boosts (or maybe I'm just rubbish at looking around in the Redcliffe castle). However, the mage path is much better executed by far, and I think Alexius is a much more sympathetic character than the Templar Knight-Captain.

It's also funny how (at least for me) both paths seemed to emphasize that Chantry controls were in more need than ever- stricter controls for the Templars so that another Lucius doesn't arise, and considering the bullshit Alexius gets up to, it's no wonder mages ought to be leashed.

Rainfall posted:

Elves get +ranged defense which means you don't die to archers and you get a shitload of exclusive elf dialogues.

Yeah, storywise the elves definitely win out. Qunari get the short end of the stick, unfortunately.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Crafted items shouldn't have a level limit- the only thing I can think of is that you crafted the wrong hilt for the wrong kind of dagger.

• Locked thread