Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I Am The Scum posted:

Why do you statists call it universal healthcare if it doesn't cover the entire universe? :smug:

The slime beings of Zeta Reticuli seem really committed to their "devour the infirm" policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

I wasn't aware enacting a program guaranteed its success. You're moving into an area of ethics versus numbers, convincing people that it's better to take a risk on a program (all programs involve risks, period) versus major short term costs and changes is partly numbers, but convincing them they should no matter what is totally ethics. If your argument is your political philosophy would work if everyone was onboard, congrats, you're nearly in the same boat as the "all people should be rational actors" type. I can't imagine a philosophy that wouldn't work with 100% total dedication, full-on ant colony style communism included. But that's not real world.

As for Europe's UHC in particular, I can't make any conclusive statements besides that's waaaay more taxes that Americans would like to pay (ethics). But I would be very interested to see what changes they'd have to make to their budgets if the NATO gravy train disappeared tomorrow.

Single payer's greatest risk is cost. This is something that the US can easily manage; if the US received the same premiums that are currently paid to insurance companies, the cost would be dealt with. Once implemented, we could examine premium costs vs expenditures and modify things accordingly. The US pays way more per person to insurance companies than any country with single payer pays, so it's very likely that premiums would start to go down in such a centralized system.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

StandardVC10 posted:

The slime beings of Zeta Reticuli seem really committed to their "devour the infirm" policy.

Hey man if it means I don't have to pay FICA taxes anymore I'm willing to give it a shot.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

QuarkJets posted:

if the US received the same premiums that are currently paid to insurance companies, the cost would be dealt with. Once implemented, we could examine premium costs vs expenditures and modify things accordingly. The US pays way more per person to insurance companies than any country with single payer pays, so it's very likely that premiums would start to go down in such a centralized system.

No, to repeat myself, the US already spends more tax money on healthcare than most European countries. You don't need to do anything with premiums. A change of law a a few years setting up the bargaining agreements are all that would be needed. poo poo, just hire some of the ex-NHS bods we fired for being too good at running UHC.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

That said, I don't think that Mr Interweb was claiming that conservative policies negatively influenced unemployment, but rather that they did not keep unemployment as low as was promised by the rigid supply-side policies that have been instituted there in recent years. And that is true; Governor Brownback took on the long-discredited Laffer as an adviser and began instituting strict supply-side policies in what he described as an attempt to create a successful red-state model for the rest of the country to follow. As a result, the wealthy have experienced huge gains in income, the poor have actually wound up paying more in taxes, and huge cuts in education resulted in the closing of numerous schools, forcing Kansas citizens to spend even more of what little money they had on shutting their kids far distances. After several rounds of income tax cuts, while maintaining a high sales tax, what does Kansas have? Its unemployment rates aren't any better off, its deficit is enormous, and its economic growth is worse than ever, despite promises from Laffer and his ilk. The Kansas budget is so dysfunctional that its bond rating was recently downgraded to "poor". The red-state model in Kansas has been disastrous, and I won't be surprised when conservatives choose to ignore the Kansas experiment in 2016.

Yup, that is correct, thank you..

I was criticizing Kansas' current performance based on Brownback's own promises of his tax cuts leading to both amazing economic growth and increase in revenues, neither of which happened (like you already pointed out).

But the excuse about Kansas being at full employment is an interesting one. If that's the case and there won't be much job growth as a result, then what's the point of keeping the tax cuts? There are more that are about to be phased in by 2015 that Brownback has said he has no intention of reversing, using the same inane arguments about leading to job growth and more revenues. What practical reason do we have keeping these in place?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

Yup, that is correct, thank you..

I was criticizing Kansas' current performance based on Brownback's own promises of his tax cuts leading to both amazing economic growth and increase in revenues, neither of which happened (like you already pointed out).

But the excuse about Kansas being at full employment is an interesting one. If that's the case and there won't be much job growth as a result, then what's the point of keeping the tax cuts? There are more that are about to be phased in by 2015 that Brownback has said he has no intention of reversing, using the same inane arguments about leading to job growth and more revenues.

Really if you look at it the right doesn't actually care it the employment numbers improve or not. The rich get richer so it's a success in that it's doing what it's intended. The whole "well we obviously just didn't cut things hard enough, let's cut everything even more!" nonsense is just justification. The only reason they say that is so that they can tell the base that they'll be rich some day too, we just need to get the government out of the way so you can make yourselves rich. It's why the "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" quote just keeps ringing true. The right has convinced their base that they're all a bunch of ubermensch that would be totally filling swimming pools with $100 bills if it weren't for those loving liberals preventing it from happening deliberately just to be mean.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Merry Christmas you vile statists and an-cap retards. :)

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

CommieGIR posted:

There is more to that trick question too: We HAVE tried elements of the very system he supports in the past. It didn't work. You HAVE to ignore history in order to accept libertarianism as valid

Its why Praxeology is hilarious and sad, because its an almost religious faith in things that have a history of not working. Kinda like Trickle Down Economics.

Sort of. We have reasons why we know it won't work. But I wouldn't say we've come close to trying the whole thing. This is a good thing.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Really if you look at it the right doesn't actually care it the employment numbers improve or not. The rich get richer so it's a success in that it's doing what it's intended. The whole "well we obviously just didn't cut things hard enough, let's cut everything even more!" nonsense is just justification. The only reason they say that is so that they can tell the base that they'll be rich some day too, we just need to get the government out of the way so you can make yourselves rich. It's why the "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" quote just keeps ringing true. The right has convinced their base that they're all a bunch of ubermensch that would be totally filling swimming pools with $100 bills if it weren't for those loving liberals preventing it from happening deliberately just to be mean.

Oh definitely. I'm just making the argument under the assumption that Deus and other libertarians truly and genuinely believe that their policies are designed not to support the rich, but to help the common man. Might as well play along.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh definitely. I'm just making the argument under the assumption that Deus and other libertarians truly and genuinely believe that their policies are designed not to support the rich, but to help the common man. Might as well play along.

They really do think that.

Seperately, it's true. Their politics don't support the rich. They don't support anyone. And the existing rich, protected by the state as they are, wouldn't have a prayer in a world lacking it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

asdf32 posted:

They really do think that.

Seperately, it's true. Their politics don't support the rich. They don't support anyone. And the existing rich, protected by the state as they are, wouldn't have a prayer in a world lacking it.

I would like to hear how that is true.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
In a world where courts and security are privatized and a vague unenforceable let alone definable rule of "non-violence " rules the day, the rich won't stand a chance.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I mean everything I know of history would suggest that any rich people lacking a state would immediately seek to create one for themselves, and probably succeed. I mean what the gently caress do people think feudalism was exactly? Being rich means being able to hire the best murderers and murderous organizations.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

paragon1 posted:

I mean everything I know of history would suggest that any rich people lacking a state would immediately seek to create one for themselves, and probably succeed. I mean what the gently caress do people think feudalism was exactly? Being rich means being able to hire the best murderers and murderous organizations.

You're confusing different groups of people. There are rich people now. There would be rich [fuedal lords] in an anarchy. They are not the same people.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

asdf32 posted:

You're confusing different groups of people. There are rich people now. There would be rich [fuedal lords] in an anarchy. They are not the same people.

Many of them probably would be. Either way it doesn't really make a difference! You get rich people lording it over everyone either way, except this way I don't have to pay a toll every 30 feet of road.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

No you see, I will be the leader of the civilizing forces.

pre:
                                                                       Three DROs for the Job-Creator-kings under the sky,
                                                                     Seven for the Banker-lords in their halls of stone,
                                                                         Nine for Conservatives doomed to die,
                                                                        One for the Freedom Lord on his Freedom throne
                                                                        In the Land of Liberty where the Shadows lie.
                                                                      One DRO to rule them all, One DRO to find them,
                                                                   One DRO to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
                                                                        In the Land of Liberty where the Shadows lie.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 25, 2014

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Actually, maybe my original claim might not have been fair. Deus, Jrode and some others in this thread may in fact be true believers in that they truly do feel libertarian will somehow benefit the common man. As opposed to hacks like Stephen Moore and Peter Schiff.

Still, regardless, libertopia does favor the rich even if it winds up having different rich people than are currently rich right now.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Still, regardless, libertopia does favor the rich even if it winds up having different rich people than are currently rich right now.

Nope, still not true. Libertopia doesn't benefit any group. The "rich" [feudal warlords] in libertopia will be far worse off than rich people today. As will everyone else.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

The "rich" [feudal warlords] in libertopia will be far worse off than rich people today.

Well, those particular people would likely be better off than those same people are today where warlording skills are not as well renumerated.

:toot:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Santa Claus: Statist?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

Actually, maybe my original claim might not have been fair. Deus, Jrode and some others in this thread may in fact be true believers in that they truly do feel libertarian will somehow benefit the common man. As opposed to hacks like Stephen Moore and Peter Schiff.

One thing that lolbertarians utterly and completely fail to realize, often willfully, is that the biggest irony of a free market and free society is that it relies heavily on regulation to make sure that somebody doesn't rig the game. This is what we're seeing in America; fewer regulations that are allowing the very wealthy to just gently caress everything up with total impunity. The answer in this case isn't fewer laws but rather more and actually loving enforcing the ones we have. America is horrifyingly far from a free market in that a few gigantic companies basically just run everything. The nation's wealth is held in very few hands and those born on the wrong side of the tracks are extremely lucky if they ever break loose of their social status. Those born poor tend to stay that way no matter what they do.

Aside from that expanded access to education (which requires, you know, taxation) would go a long way toward approaching the meritocracy that libertarians so adore. Plus a truly free, even market requires government oversight to make sure that things like enormous monopolies, cartels, and price fixing don't happen, which become absolutely loving rampant the instant you take your hands off. The 19th century is actually a good example of what happens if you just take your hands off and let the rich run the show and it was loving awful.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Literally The Worst posted:

Santa Claus: Statist?

Worse, he's a hippy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

paragon1 posted:

Worse, he's a hippy.

Have you noticed wealthier families get better presents? Santa has perfect knowledge and Christmas is a perfect meritocracy, everyone gets the presents they deserve based on their value to society/the market.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Every year rich techies load down our shelter with expensive presents to purchase forgiveness for their consumerist lifestyles.

ENABLING DEPENDENCY, at this rate every teenager will want to be homeless. You'll get an iPod and Nikes!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Curious, has there ever been a any examples of a tax cut that's actually led to more revenues than would have been collected without the tax cut? Either on a state or federal level?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One thing that lolbertarians utterly and completely fail to realize, often willfully, is that the biggest irony of a free market and free society is that it relies heavily on regulation to make sure that somebody doesn't rig the game. This is what we're seeing in America; fewer regulations that are allowing the very wealthy to just gently caress everything up with total impunity. The answer in this case isn't fewer laws but rather more and actually loving enforcing the ones we have. America is horrifyingly far from a free market in that a few gigantic companies basically just run everything. The nation's wealth is held in very few hands and those born on the wrong side of the tracks are extremely lucky if they ever break loose of their social status. Those born poor tend to stay that way no matter what they do.

Yup, you oddly enough can't have a proper free market without some interference from the tyrannical state.

quote:

Aside from that expanded access to education (which requires, you know, taxation) would go a long way toward approaching the meritocracy that libertarians so adore. Plus a truly free, even market requires government oversight to make sure that things like enormous monopolies, cartels, and price fixing don't happen, which become absolutely loving rampant the instant you take your hands off. The 19th century is actually a good example of what happens if you just take your hands off and let the rich run the show and it was loving awful.

Speaking of meritocracy, how do conservatives/libertarians justify repealing the estate tax? By doing so, they're implicitly making the claim that people who actually work hard to earn their money are on the same level as those that inherit it. Not very meritocratic, is it?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

Speaking of meritocracy, how do conservatives/libertarians justify repealing the estate tax? By doing so, they're implicitly making the claim that people who actually work hard to earn their money are on the same level as those that inherit it. Not very meritocratic, is it?

Generally it's justified in the "taxes = theft" category. As in, if a person earned the money they have every right to do what they want with it, up to and including giving their offspring a massive head start. And no, your average lolbertarian doesn't give a single poo poo about meritocracy. If they did they'd support banning private education and funding the poo poo out of public education but that requires taxes, which are evil.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mr Interweb posted:

Curious, has there ever been a any examples of a tax cut that's actually led to more revenues than would have been collected without the tax cut? Either on a state or federal level?

I've heard it alleged that this happened when the top marginal rate was lowered from its peak of 90+%. Mostly due to less hiding / cheating. Other than that? No, we've been firmly on the left side of any supposed curve for decades. Somehow I get the feeling that anyone advocating tax cuts with that justification is just lying and wants to drive taxes to zero and gently caress everything.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Most libertarians seem to either believe that 1) inherited wealth is good, since it consolidates power among the genetic ubermenschen, or 2) it's no problem, since their dogma says that the cream will rise to the top regardless of starting position (unless the starting position involves any kind of government).

e: Forgot a third category: the kind who support a 100% estate tax because they clearly believe themselves to be the ubermenschen and blame their lack of inheritance for not being an oligarch.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 27, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mornacale posted:

Most libertarians seem to either believe that 1) inherited wealth is good, since it consolidates power among the genetic ubermenschen, or 2) it's no problem, since their dogma says that the cream will rise to the top regardless of starting position (unless the starting position involves any kind of government).

e: Forgot a third category: the kind who support a 100% estate tax because they clearly believe themselves to be the ubermenschen and blame their lack of inheritance for not being an oligarch.

Hahahaha, there are no libertarians who support 100% violence!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

spoon0042 posted:

I've heard it alleged that this happened when the top marginal rate was lowered from its peak of 90+%. Mostly due to less hiding / cheating. Other than that? No, we've been firmly on the left side of any supposed curve for decades. Somehow I get the feeling that anyone advocating tax cuts with that justification is just lying and wants to drive taxes to zero and gently caress everything.

Yeah thought so.

Speaking of which, I posted this in the politics thread:

quote:

Ohio Gov. John Kasich will roll out “responsible” tax plans that protect against revenue gaps. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Arizona’s new Republican governor are delaying big dreams of nixing the income tax as they face budget shortfalls. And Missouri Republicans, once jealous of their neighbor Kansas’ massive cuts, are thankful they trimmed less.

Call it the Brownback effect.

Some choice quotes:

quote:

Of course, Republicans aren’t ditching supply-side economic theory or tax cuts. But they’re considering ways to avoid Kansas’ troubles. Their takeaways include smaller cuts over extended periods of time, stopgaps to protect revenues — and avoiding overpromising.

It’s making for an odd dynamic in which some Republicans now proudly say their tax plans will be “incremental” or “evolutionary” instead of “revolutionary.”

quote:

“Kansas did too much too fast, so at this point we’re continuing to look at our tax policy to make sure it’s competitive. But we’re not jumping — not following Kansas,” said Missouri state Sen. Will Kraus, a GOP tax writer who in 2013 pointed to Kansas as the reason tax cuts were needed in the Show Me State.

quote:

In the meantime, Vos says they’re keeping an eye on Kansas: “I definitely share the goals of the way … Kansas went, which is to say you want to reduce taxes on the people who create jobs so they reinvest by hiring more people. … But the jury is still out so I’d rather watch what happens for another year or two before we follow their lead.”

quote:

“You can’t promise that everything is going to change overnight,” said Jonathan Williams, top tax adviser at the conservative policy group American Legislative Exchange Council, which lobbies states. Williams believes Brownback’s tax plan will pan out eventually, but he said messaging is key. “It’s going to be a change of incentives over several months and years.”

He said Republicans should tell constituents that “not all tax cuts pay for themselves” and warn about potential revenue shortfalls.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/gop-learns-lessons-from-brownbacks-tax-scare-113806.html#ixzz3N8ZqoOmu

:lol: at the last bolded quote. Good luck selling that poo poo without the promise of not hurting government programs.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Caros posted:

Hahahaha, there are no libertarians who support 100% violence!

Now you got me thinking of a libertarian version of A Clockwork Orange.

"Me and my droogs, we would go around the town enforcing CO2 emission standards. Then we figure it was a little time for the ol' arrest someone for shooting up heroin in the street. After that was done, we went an educated children using the townspeople money that we collected through the law."

The scene where they sing "Singing in the Rain" while paying the licensing fees to the Freed/Brown estates is utterly terrifying. It just sticks with you.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I have often toyed with the idea of a libertarian dystopia where the President has been stripped of all responsibility except for ceremonially auctioning off a turkey on Thanksgiving.

kind of like a reverse Tom Kratman novel

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Mornacale posted:

It can seem like libertarians are utilitarians, and many will adopt those views when trying to persuade others, but most often their reasons are moral ones. Most libertarians believe 3) Property owners have the moral right to dispose of their property however they want, even upon the event of their death.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

I have often toyed with the idea of a libertarian dystopia where the President has been stripped of all responsibility except for ceremonially auctioning off a turkey on Thanksgiving.

kind of like a reverse Tom Kratman novel

Sounds like Snowcrash.

I especially loved the private police's long list of disclaimers when arresting you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

Sounds like Snowcrash.

I especially loved the private police's long list of disclaimers when arresting you.

"I was shooting heroin and reading “The Fountainhead” in the front seat of my privately owned police cruiser when a call came in. I put a quarter in the radio to activate it. It was the chief.

“Bad news, detective. We got a situation.”

“What? Is the mayor trying to ban trans fats again?”

“Worse. Somebody just stole four hundred and forty-seven million dollars’ worth of bitcoins.”

The heroin needle practically fell out of my arm. “What kind of monster would do something like that? Bitcoins are the ultimate currency: virtual, anonymous, stateless. They represent true economic freedom, not subject to arbitrary manipulation by any government. Do we have any leads?”

“Not yet. But mark my words: we’re going to figure out who did this and we’re going to take them down … provided someone pays us a fair market rate to do so.”

“Easy, chief,” I said. “Any rate the market offers is, by definition, fair.”

He laughed. “That’s why you’re the best I got, Lisowski. Now you get out there and find those bitcoins.”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “I’m on it.”

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

“Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

“Come on,” I said. “Don’t you all understand that the protection of private property is the foundation of all personal liberty?”

It didn’t seem like they did.

“Seriously, guys. Without a strong economic motivator, I’m just going to stand here and not solve this case. Cash is fine, but I prefer being paid in gold bullion or autographed Penn Jillette posters.”

Nothing. These people were stonewalling me. It almost seemed like they didn’t care that a fortune in computer money invented to buy drugs was missing.

I figured I could wait them out. I lit several cigarettes indoors. A pregnant lady coughed, and I told her that secondhand smoke is a myth. Just then, a man in glasses made a break for it.

“Subway™ Eat Fresh and Freeze, Scumbag!®” I yelled.

Too late. He was already out the front door. I went after him.

“Stop right there!” I yelled as I ran. He was faster than me because I always try to avoid stepping on public sidewalks. Our country needs a private-sidewalk voucher system, but, thanks to the incestuous interplay between our corrupt federal government and the public-sidewalk lobby, it will never happen.

I was losing him. “Listen, I’ll pay you to stop!” I yelled. “What would you consider an appropriate price point for stopping? I’ll offer you a thirteenth of an ounce of gold and a gently worn ‘Bob Barr ‘08’ extra-large long-sleeved men’s T-shirt!”

He turned. In his hand was a revolver that the Constitution said he had every right to own. He fired at me and missed. I pulled my own gun, put a quarter in it, and fired back. The bullet lodged in a U.S.P.S. mailbox less than a foot from his head. I shot the mailbox again, on purpose.

“All right, all right!” the man yelled, throwing down his weapon. “I give up, cop! I confess: I took the bitcoins.”

“Why’d you do it?” I asked, as I slapped a pair of Oikos™ Greek Yogurt Presents Handcuffs® on the guy.

“Because I was afraid.”

“Afraid?”

“Afraid of an economic future free from the pernicious meddling of central bankers,” he said. “I’m a central banker.”

I wanted to coldcock the guy. Years ago, a central banker killed my partner. Instead, I shook my head.

“Let this be a message to all your central-banker friends out on the street,” I said. “No matter how many bitcoins you steal, you’ll never take away the dream of an open society based on the principles of personal and economic freedom.”

He nodded, because he knew I was right. Then he swiped his credit card to pay me for arresting him."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ahahaha I had forgotten about that story. Gold.

You're all right, Nintendo Kid.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

I put a quarter in the siren.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

VitalSigns posted:

Ahahaha I had forgotten about that story. Gold.

You're all right, Nintendo Kid.

I had also forgotten and it was marvelous to be reminded.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Cemetry Gator posted:

Now you got me thinking of a libertarian version of A Clockwork Orange.

"Me and my droogs, we would go around the town enforcing CO2 emission standards. Then we figure it was a little time for the ol' arrest someone for shooting up heroin in the street. After that was done, we went an educated children using the townspeople money that we collected through the law."

The scene where they sing "Singing in the Rain" while paying the licensing fees to the Freed/Brown estates is utterly terrifying. It just sticks with you.

My a priori reasoning doesn't allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

jrodefeld posted:

I am well aware that I come into these discussions making certain unfounded assumptions about you all as you probably do to me. I have in my head some concept of a left wing ideologue that I am going to refute while you no doubt imagine some stereotype about a sort of libertarian caricature and these illusions permit us to hurl ad hominems, insults and otherwise engage in a more hostile exchange than would happen in a face to face discussion.

I thought about this quote again, and I think JRod has a point: we have a tendency to try to make Libertarian answers to one another's questions when no libertarians are around in the thread, and then mock how dumb those arguments are. This is silly. After all, there are plenty of authentic dumb arguments to go after!

:sax: THIS WEEK IN MISES.ORG! :sax:

(apologies to Fulchrum in the forwarded email thread for stealing his gig. As for the rest of you, I'm not sorry at all.)

Private Volunteers Step In Where Police Are AWOL posted:

In Ferguson, Missouri, when police and national guard failed to protect businesses from rioting protestors, a private organization called Oath Keepers stepped up to fill the gap.

The presence of Oath Keepers, keeping the peace where police officers failed, helps answer a larger question: how necessary are police?

[...]

But, as convincing as theories on private protection are, there are no large-scale society-wide examples of private self-defense in recent decades. There are no countries that lack monopolist state organizations: even supposedly 'anarchist' countries like Somalia remain ruled by central governments.

Small-scale examples have become more widespread, however, and I propose that we’re seeing a test of the feasibility of private protection services right here in the United States. It’s not a test of anarchy as a whole — I don’t see Oath Keepers packaging private law for the market, for instance — but it’s a test of one of the state’s key claims to legitimacy.

As police forces fail some communities, private organizations are stepping up. Oath Keepers stationed volunteers on the rooftops of businesses in Ferguson, protecting them from looters. Local business owners said they felt safer knowing the private entity was looking out for them.

The Threat Management Center provided similar protection when Detroit collapsed. The organization provided “Lamborghini-quality” security services to upscale neighborhoods, and the profit margins from these contracts enabled them to provide free services to poorer communities that rarely saw aid from police.[...]

The Oath Keepers: a boon to the black community?

Correcting Scrooge's Economics posted:

As Charles Dickens himself admits, Ebenezer Scrooge is a thoroughly peaceful man, guilty of no true crime, who has robbed no one. Therefore, we must conclude that his wealth is a sign of his ability to please at least some people, and as Michael Levin notes: “Dickens doesn't mention Scrooge's satisfied customers, but there must have been plenty of them for Scrooge to have gotten so rich.”

But as he is a person with bad manners and a disagreeable personality, many have conflated Scrooge’s personality traits with his business practices, although the two are unrelated phenomena. As a miser and businessman, Scrooge provides numerous valuable services to the community including, as Walter Block has shown, driving down prices and making liquidity available to those who, unlike the wrongly maligned misers, have been either unwilling or unable to save in comparable amounts.

His business prowess notwithstanding, however, a closer look at Scrooge’s economics suggests some significant blind spots in several areas. Scrooge, as displayed in many of his comments and observations, misunderstands some key economics concepts. Indeed, Scrooge’s ignorance in these areas may contribute to his bad habit of assuming that others are taking advantage of him, or are too foolish or lazy to attain what Scrooge has.

[... :words: ...]

Ebenezer Scrooge asks very little of his fellow human beings. He only asks that they keep up their ends of the bargains in the business agreements they make. It was just his misfortune, then, that he is surrounded by a bevy of control freaks who are hell bent on making sure Scrooge enjoys Christmas in just the way they want him to.

Scrooge returns the favor by maintaining a ferociously low opinion of most others around him, concluding quite often that others are simply fools for choosing to enjoy the company of friends and family when there’s money to be made.

Ultimately, though, it’s all just an unfortunate misunderstanding, and one that might be improved by a reading of Man, Economy, and State.

Actual libertarians are sillier than our parodies could hope to match.

A Capitalist Christmas posted:

[Reprinted from the December 1995 issue of The Free Market.]

Halloween has a socialist tenor. Menacing figures arrive at your door uninvited, demand your property, and threaten to perform an unspecified "trick" if you don't fork over. That's the way the government works in a nutshell.

Thanksgiving has been reinterpreted as the white man, after burning, raping, and pillaging the noble Indian, trying to make amends with a cheap turkey dinner. New Year's can be ruined as the beginning of a new tax year, and the knowledge that the next five or six months will be spent working for the government.

That's why I love Christmas. To this day it remains a celebration of liberty and private life, as well as a much-needed break from the incessant politicization of modern life [ed: :ironicat:]. It's the most pro-capitalist of all holidays because its temporal joys are based on private property, voluntary exchange, and mutual benefit.

In Christmas shopping, we find persistent reminders of charity programs that work and little sign of those (welfare bureaucracies) that don't. The Salvation Army, Goodwill dispensers in parking lots, and boxes filled with canned goods and toys are all elements of true charity. This giving is based on volition rather than coercion, which is the key to its success.

People complain about "commercialism," but all the buying and selling is directed toward meeting the needs of others. Even if the recipient doesn't give gifts in return, the giver still receives satisfaction. Absent entirely is the zero or negative-sum political process that tilts property in favor of one group or another.

Santa, unlike Halloween figures, comes to your home to bring gifts and goodwill, and never takes anything except milk and cookies. You wouldn't think of hiding your silver from him. Unlike government bureaucrats, Santa and his workers are entirely trustworthy, and even work overtime by creating goods that are desired by millions of people.

If the Labor Department or OSHA ever get around to investigating the North Pole, they'll probably find all sorts of labor violations: safety and health (too cold), unemployment insurance (does he pay it?), minimum wage (is there exploitation here?), overtime (Heaven knows they work long hours), civil rights (any non-elves employed?), and disability (is Santa accommodating these tiny men?). But the point is that everyone is there voluntarily, and no doubt considers it an honor and privilege.

Christmas trees are lovely to behold, and tree farms are the ultimate model for environmental policy. The trees are harvested and the ground replanted for future holidays, a process driven entirely by market demand. If this technique were transferred to our national parks and forests, we could satisfy timber demand, lower the price of wood, and make sure trees are always valued.

Christmas cards are an outlet for attractive art, communicated to the masses in ways the National Endowment for the Arts would never support. Card makers must satisfy actual consumers, who have better taste than NEA's program managers.

The downside of Christmas cards is that they have to travel to their destinations via the state postal monopoly. Every year the postal monopoly angrily warns its captive customers to mail their insignificant holiday letters two weeks in advance. If you're a postal bureaucrat, there's nothing more irritating than consumers mistaking your operation for a competitive one.

What do we do when it's time to send our most precious packages? We use private shipping services, which provide services at a profit even though they are prohibited by law from mailing letters. These companies welcome our business, and don't complain the rest of the year about the high volume.

At some point during Christmas, the official culture of government and the media — dominated by Obama and Pelosi and the goings-on in Washington — fades from view and we can't help but recall what's really important. It's family, community, home, tradition, and loved ones, and all the other things that government succeeds in crowding out during the rest of the year.

This year, let's remember to appreciate the role capitalist institutions play in making our holiday even more special. Not even the government can take away that Christmas spirit.

Presented in its entirety. I can see why this person would need a break from the politicization of everything.

To "Give Back," Add Real Value posted:

A recent article in the left-leaning Independent argued that student volunteers are useless. In one project putting UK college students to work building a local school, the work was so awful that local Ugandan masons "dismantled the structurally unsound work [the students] had done — relaying bricks and resetting timbers whilst the students slept."

"Giving back" is big these days, but how can we know if we’re really making a contribution, or if we, like those students, are just tourists who need cleaning up after.

Economics, fortunately, gives us a very elegant answer: The best way to "give back" is to earn honest money and lots of it.

I teach in a business school. As horrifying as this might seem, one of the biggest debates among business academics is social responsibility. The terms of the debate are familiar: the lefties, who dominate even business-schools, want business to do charity as penance for their wicked money-making. Meanwhile, the "pro-business" view comes from Adam Smith: greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Because the Invisible Hand turns self-interest into social good.

Of course, we can go further: the money you earn isn’t just morally neutralized by the Invisible Hand. Rather, the money you earn actually indicates that you’ve contributed to the world. More money means more contribution. In Man, Economy and State, Rothbard points out that a voluntary price puts a floor on the value created. Higher price received means more value created for others.

[...]

The logic is the same for us mortals: so long as your salary is honestly earned, chasing the highest pay is precisely how you make your highest contribution to society. By "honestly" here I mean obtained without coercion. So no force, no fraud. This means the mafia and government are, of course, out -— salaries paid for hijacking trucks, witness intimidation, or public schooling may simply reflect the ability of your employer to extort money from others.

Among “honest” livings, then, the data is clear on the best way to “give back” to society: learn math. Starting with petroleum engineering, paying $103,000 per year for a bachelor's degree, fourteen of the highest twenty starting salaries are engineering. After petroleum, top are chemical, nuclear, computer, and electrical. The rest are still math-heavy: actuarial mathematics, computer science, information systems, statistics, and everybody's favorite dismal science, economics.

Of course, not all of us are good at math. Perhaps your education was heavy on recycling milk cartons or learning union songs. So many cartons, so many songs just doesn’t leave time to develop the skills that actually help others.

Well, there's still hope: Khan Academy, Udacity, and Udemy have cheap or free math courses, nicely done and easy on the brain. Some parents have their kids on calculus at age 8 at Khan Academy, which is forbidden in public schools. And, of course, Mises Academy has economics; the Austrian flavor, which is much recommended over the store-brand.

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good." -Adam Smith, apparently. Also: not good at math? Try math!

I'm not sure how Fulchrum does LL101 every week. This poo poo is taxing on the soul.