Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The best character in either series is obviously Appa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Too bad Appa was killed by the Red Lotus, along with Sokka, Suki, and Jet

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
In terms of having a compelling and well-done dramatic arc, yes, Zuko is one of the greatest characters in television history. I stand by that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I think one of the things that initially turned me off of ATLA was the presence of multiple animal companions, which is not an element I've ever been a big fan of in cartoons or anime. Even once I started watching I still never really warmed up to either Appa or Momo. Thankfully Naga and Pabu were much less focused on, which made me appreciate them more when they were around.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
On the other hand, Appa & Momo could shoulder the comedy relief roles whenever Sokka needed a serious scene/episode. One of the reasons Bolin was so obnoxious was that there were a lot of times that nobody else was around to do comedy in his stead, so he had to be the one to do it even in otherwise serious scenes.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

The Sharmat posted:

Basically spirits are alien invaders from another universe and you just can't reason with them.
This is pretty much how spirits are viewed in Asia as opposed to the west where they are either good or evil and their lives revolve around man.
Spirits have their own motives and sometimes people cross their paths. The outcome could be good, bad, or neutral depending on the spirit's mood. Going out of your way to piss one off is seen as a terrible idea but also thinking that they'll be kind to you just because you're kind to them.
I liked how spirits were presented in Avatar, it felt more authentic

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Aang is crushing on Kataara pretty hard by the end of the pilot

Sokka and Yue undergo a tale of starcrossed lovers within what is more or less a week.

Sokka is also making out with Suki by the point of their second meeting.

Mai and Zuko pair up offscreen (with a comic being made later to explain it).

Given all that, and considering the creators said Korra and Asami are just then discovering their feelings and starting a relationship in the finale, I think it's more than fine.

I dunno, it kind of feels like people are saying LGBTQ relationships have to work twice as hard.

Coincidentally, it's rarely been said that Avatar does relationships well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh. The argument that romances need to be incredibly slow and have a ton of buildup is a weird one. Fast exciting 'television' romances exist in pretty much all forms of media. If anything Korra and Asami's 'friendship gradually becoming something more' romance is more reasonably paced than 90% of fictional romances out there.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I, too, have a thing for Zhu Li:

The catamaran pre-dreadnoughts in this didn't get enough action, the artists did such an excellent job of taking a late 19th century pre-dread and making it fantasy/steampunk. Especially with that dazzle camo. :heysexy:

Vernii fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 25, 2014

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In terms of having a compelling and well-done dramatic arc, yes, Zuko is one of the greatest characters in television history. I stand by that.

I think he's a good character but think that might be a little hyperbole.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Couldn't see anything in the thread - is anything announced regarding a sequel of any kind?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aston posted:

Couldn't see anything in the thread - is anything announced regarding a sequel of any kind?

No. The team behind it has left Nick entirely and the series itself wasn't a particularly large success. It is unlikely to get a sequel anytime soon barring some probably-lovely comics.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Sydin posted:

On the other hand, Appa & Momo could shoulder the comedy relief roles whenever Sokka needed a serious scene/episode. One of the reasons Bolin was so obnoxious was that there were a lot of times that nobody else was around to do comedy in his stead, so he had to be the one to do it even in otherwise serious scenes.

I think the difference there is Sokka, as people have pointed out, was a goofball but was actually really clever. He only just started to participate in the fighting way late in the series and wasn't a big part of it even then. Bolin can Earthbend so he's automatically useful in a fight, he doesn't need to secretly be a genius strategist. This just kinda lets him be an idiot with a heart of gold and the ability TO MELT THE VERY GROUND BENEATH YOUR FEET. Lavabending is a thousand times cooler than Metalbending.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

I think he's talking about having distaste for the whole turning relationships into a game with winners and losers thing. Of all the people who support Korassami, only about 10% support it for what it represents to the characters. The remaining 90% only support the message of the relationship, and completely disregard the humanity of the characters in the process.

And he's right, its hard to get excited about a Korra/Assami relationship when the people who support it the most care more about sticking it to the people who don't than actually looking at what it means to the characters, both retrospectively and moving forward.

^^ bingo

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Korra has been my favorite character on TV since Book 2.

Least favorite character is probably Tonraq, to be honest.

Why's that? Tonraq never really does anything wrong. He's at least competent. I think he's better than Bumi.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ultimately I think the thing about Bolin that makes him an inferior version of Sokka is that when Sokka was funny, he was funny in a way that was unrelated to his character arc (sarcasm) or supported it (doing dumb sexism stuff). Sokka yelling about his ability to explain rain supports the notion that he's a scientifically-minded fellow.

Most of Bolin's humorous moments, on the other hand, tend to cut across his character development by indicating that he is a giant child who doesn't know when it's inappropriate to make a joke and who shouldn't be allowed to participate in grown-up talk. This becomes increasingly apparent as he starts to be more mature at other times.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miss Nomer posted:

This is pretty much how spirits are viewed in Asia as opposed to the west where they are either good or evil and their lives revolve around man.
Spirits have their own motives and sometimes people cross their paths. The outcome could be good, bad, or neutral depending on the spirit's mood. Going out of your way to piss one off is seen as a terrible idea but also thinking that they'll be kind to you just because you're kind to them.
I liked how spirits were presented in Avatar, it felt more authentic

There are some exceptions though (yes technically he was a human originally but it's kind of vague).

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Misandrist Wytch posted:

I think he's a good character but think that might be a little hyperbole.
Like Top 50 though.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

Miss Nomer posted:

On the topic of characters from Avatar , who is everyone's favorite and least favorite?

If it's confined to LoK, my favorite is Varrick and least favorite is Raiko. Zaheer is an interesting character and, while not the most sympathetic villain, clearly the most interesting. Raiko is a boring fuss, and is either a road block to the story or unimportant.

If it's the universe, favorite is Iroh because Iroh. And least favorite is Mai, and possibly Eska/Desna. I don't like those emo kids that are there just because :emo:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Hauldren Collider posted:

Why's that? Tonraq never really does anything wrong. He's at least competent. I think he's better than Bumi.
His whole exiled prince storyline was hellsa dumb and dragged down every character involved. Technically Unalaq is as complicit in this, but Unalaq is the archvillain and we're not supposed to like him. Tonraq is ostensibly the "good brother" that we're meant to root for, but the fact is that he's equally at fault for what happened at the northern tribe and never owned up to it, even when it put his own daughter in a lovely position. In the end he becomes the damned ruler of his own nation through no effort of his own and not having shown the slightest aptitude for government other than being good at punching people. Wu would probably make a more reliable chieftain.

Bumi is super awesome.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Miss Nomer posted:

On the topic of characters from Avatar , who is everyone's favorite and least favorite?

If it's limited to just Korra, my favourite is probably Varrick. If it's encompassing the whole franchise, then probably either Iroh or Toph.

Least favourite in both is Unalaq. Guy was a totally lame villain and a major part of why I disliked season 2.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Vernii posted:

Especially with that dazzle camo. :heysexy:
loving thank you

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

In my dreamiest of nerd dreams, Mike and Bryan (who probably have little say in actuality) push Nick's publishing arm to hire Makani to make the Korra comics. Also they're mostly about the Beifongs.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

computer parts posted:

There are some exceptions though (yes technically he was a human originally but it's kind of vague).
Budai is considered a bodhisattva or one of the seven lucky gods depending on belief system. These guys (and gals) are generally awesome to people and want to help them out. They're divine but not "spirits" in the manner of never having once been human.
There were some cool spirits in Avatar, Tui and La were hanging out helping the Water Tribes.

The Avatar world never really (oddly enough) fleshed out the belief system. They've got reincarnation but I don't remembering that it was ever stated that it applies to everyone or just the Avatar. And now that the spirit portals are open, couldn't people just go there and hang out and be immortal?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Miss Nomer posted:

And now that the spirit portals are open, couldn't people just go there and hang out and be immortal?
Seems like only those whose spirits become separate from their body remain in the spirit world. Everyone else reincarnates, but this is only significant to the Avatar.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
Honestly I feel as if they were the fake kind of gay. Like the t.A.T.u. of children's cartoons. Playing it up you know? Glad that gay hell claimed two more queer souls for the furnace.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Captain Failcon posted:

Honestly I feel as if they were the fake kind of gay. Like the t.A.T.u. of children's cartoons. Playing it up you know? Glad that gay hell claimed two more queer souls for the furnace.

The gently caress?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Captain Failcon posted:

Playing it up you know?

Not really, though I am also glad the gay reptilian conspiracy claimed two more victims

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheMaestroso posted:

The gently caress?

Clicking on the post history of an obvious troll can open your mind to true enlightenment

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I think he's talking about having distaste for the whole turning relationships into a game with winners and losers thing. Of all the people who support Korassami, only about 10% support it for what it represents to the characters. The remaining 90% only support the message of the relationship, and completely disregard the humanity of the characters in the process.

And he's right, its hard to get excited about a Korra/Assami relationship when the people who support it the most care more about sticking it to the people who don't than actually looking at what it means to the characters, both retrospectively and moving forward.

drat if this doesn't sum up my entire problem with the ending. The agenda pushing/pandering ruined it for me. If they wanted Korrasami to happen they should've developed it more on-screen instead of accelerating it at the very end, it was pretty jarring, I didn't see it coming at all. Even if you want to say there were hints about it, I would point out their heterosexual relationships were hints against it, and the fact that we had never seen either of them interested in a woman on the show. It just felt out of place because they never specifically made it apparent that they were bi until the very end. Their relationship would be completely fine to me if it was fleshed out more and felt like it made sense, but it really didn't to me, and their statements about why they put it in just made me feel more disappointed. They basically said they literally just put it in to make the LGBT community happy and support them. Not a bad thing, but actions in your story should reflect the story, not your personal agenda..

Akumos fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 25, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Akumos posted:

drat if this doesn't sum up my entire problem with the ending. The agenda pushing/pandering ruined it for me. If they wanted Korrasami to happen they should've developed it more on-screen instead of accelerating it at the very end, it was pretty jarring, I didn't see it coming at all. Even if you want to say there were hints about it, I would point out their heterosexual relationships were hints against it, and the fact that we had never seen either of them interested in a woman on the show. It just felt out of place because they never specifically made it apparent that they were bi until the very end. Their relationship would be completely fine to me if it was fleshed out more and felt like it made sense, but it really didn't to me, and their statements about why they put it in just made me feel more disappointed. They basically said they literally just put it in to make the LGBT community happy and support them.

You loving blind with your hetero glasses on?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

You loving blind with your hetero glasses on?

Compared to how blatant every other attraction was on screen, this is a stupid argument. We had like a scene of Korra blushing once, which could've just been taken as something shying from a compliment, and we vaguely noticed that Korra was communicating with Asami more than others, like through letters, which at the time could be interpreted as her feelings more comfortable talking to someone she WASN'T as close to. I assumed during that she just didn't write to Mako because she didn't want the drama. I think the fact that everyone supporting this ending just resorts to "lol get mad homophobe/cishetscum" shows why pandering like this is loving retarded, no one on that side actually cares about any other viewpoint on the ending, they just want to keep pushing that agenda.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 25, 2014

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
It's like I'm reading /co/.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I got so mad at the end of every Hollywood movie ever made when the man and the woman kissed for no reason other than to further the heterosexual agenda.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Did everyone in this thread remember to send their yearly donations to the homosexual agenda foundation? I sent $1000 this year because they did some stellar work with LoK.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
If Korra is happy I'm happy, ya know? :unsmith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Akumos posted:

Compared to how blatant every other attraction was on screen, this is a stupid argument. We had like a scene of Korra blushing once, which could've just been taken as something shying from a compliment, and we vaguely noticed that Korra was communicating with Asami more than others, like through letters, which at the time could be interpreted as her feelings more comfortable talking to someone she WASN'T as close to. I assumed during that she just didn't write to Mako because she didn't want the drama. I think the fact that everyone supporting this ending just resorts to "lol get mad homophobe/cishetscum" shows why pandering like this is loving retarded, no one on that side actually cares about any other viewpoint on the ending, they just want to keep pushing that agenda.

Korra and Asami literally had more time onscreen together than Sokka and any of his girlfriends and a good chunk of it is pretty reasonable to read as fledgling romantic. I don't hear you ranting about the heterosexual agenda.

Like prior to Season 4, Varrick and Zhu-Li's relationship was "Varrick says a wacky thing, Zhu-li sighs" and their heterosexual true-wuv romance and wedding was given center stage and apparently this is perfectly acceptable to you and not at all worth complaining about but two characters who spent four seasons together entering into the start of a romance is AGENDA! Doesn't that strike you as kind of weird?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 25, 2014

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Akumos posted:

drat if this doesn't sum up my entire problem with the ending. The agenda pushing/pandering ruined it for me. If they wanted Korrasami to happen they should've developed it more on-screen instead of accelerating it at the very end, it was pretty jarring, I didn't see it coming at all. Even if you want to say there were hints about it, I would point out their heterosexual relationships were hints against it, and the fact that we had never seen either of them interested in a woman on the show. It just felt out of place because they never specifically made it apparent that they were bi until the very end. Their relationship would be completely fine to me if it was fleshed out more and felt like it made sense, but it really didn't to me, and their statements about why they put it in just made me feel more disappointed. They basically said they literally just put it in to make the LGBT community happy and support them. Not a bad thing, but actions in your story should reflect the story, not your personal agenda..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg1RnAGncBQ&hd=1

They've been setting it up for awhile.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shut this thread down, it's been tainted by the homosexual agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
Watching the book 3 alternate ending linked earlier ( http://vimeo.com/111870918 ) made me realise how much korra changed her fighting style to deliver in the final fight. IN the previous fights she used brute force and was often outmatched skillwise - in the final fight she adapted to her surroundings and the villain, using skill where earlier she would have just tried for the one big knockout. Huh.

• Locked thread