Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Canuck-Errant posted:

A tacvest but with the grenade pouches full of Mio squeeze thingies.

Edit: and a camelbak full of powerade

Pfft. Powerade is for boots.

Pre-workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
So, all army officers now get to march around and either a) look like a tin-pot dictator/extra in a WW2 movie, or b) not get saluted because you're a WO. Probably.

On the bright side, no cadpat new rank slipons yet, so...

Also, everyone only has to remember 8 colours, versus the 10 or 11 that we used in WW1. Glad someone got their 'leading change' box ticked this year. :effort:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Saw them at the regimental dinner. The advise I heard was "Salute anyone with a crown" with the argument being that you'll get yelled at less for saluting a warrant than not saluting a major.

I really, really hope that rumors of peaked caps and service dress uniforms are bullshit.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Why

Why the gently caress did they do this

THE OLD RANKS WERE FINE

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MA-Horus posted:

Why

Why the gently caress did they do this

THE OLD RANKS WERE FINE

ARE HERITAGE

No really I have no idea.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Saw them at the regimental dinner. The advise I heard was "Salute anyone with a crown" with the argument being that you'll get yelled at less for saluting a warrant than not saluting a major.

I really, really hope that rumors of peaked caps and service dress uniforms are bullshit.

It's pretty much impossible to mix up the two ranks. You can spot the WOs crown from space.

Garrison dress should make a return.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It's great. Now the navy has it's curlecues, the army has gone full colonial throwback, and the airforce is going ... silver (grey?). Also, the new AF private airman aviator (?) rank will be in no way at all confused with an OCdt rank.

I'm all for peak/forage caps, but we'd also need sam browne belts and all other manner of silly accouterments to go with it.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
No hint of the navy going retro with the NCM uniforms at least I guess.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 16, 2017

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
^^^ efb

And in news that should shock absolutely no-one, the Navy just banned drinking at sea on all ships.

I don't disagree with the decision at all, but the way in which it was made was knee-jerk and silly. Due to some incidents that occurred while alongside, they've banned drinking at sea and will still permit it while alongside. Not allowing people to drink at sea will prevent them from drinking too much when they get to port. This works well in the USN.

There have been incidents that have occurred while at sea, but these don't made the news because they happened at sea. One I can think of occurred a year or two ago on the west coast involving most of a particular department and caused the CO to ban drinking at sea for the rest of their trip. I would have thought that would be the impetus for a Navy-wide ban, but no. I think the WHI incident was just a last straw scapegoat for this decision.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The Royal Canadian Navy; WHERE HAS ALL THE RUM GONE

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So what do you do with a drunken sailor?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

So what do you do with a drunken sailor?

What don't you do with a drunken sailor :pervert:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Apparently the CAF is having recruiting problems! And there's a 4500-man shortfall in the Reserves

QUELLE SUPRISE!

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
I thought we were letting attrition do a little force reduction work these days. Or maybe it's the wrong people attritioning (attriting??)

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Maybe they'll get some new people from reservists abandoning the Navy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

At least in my brigade, Reserve numbers and retention are way down. Last year they threatened to pull the educational benefits, and that was probably the biggest recruiting tool.

The other big problem I see is the pipeline from Recruitment-BMQ-SQ-DP1-Regiment is all hosed and you have people sitting around as cornflakes in pat platoon for two years.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Apparently the CAF is having recruiting problems! And there's a 4500-man shortfall in the Reserves

QUELLE SUPRISE!

Is this a problem for reg force too?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Lot of people retiring mostly.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/canadian-military-facing-shortfall-of-personnel

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

The other big problem I see is the pipeline from Recruitment-BMQ-SQ-DP1-Regiment is all hosed and you have people sitting around as cornflakes in pat platoon for two years.

Unlike the Reg F, wherein...

:eng99:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

So I'm guessing my plan to go back in res arty o might not be the best idea right now?

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
At work they've been drilling in our heads that 40% of us could retire tomorrow if we wanted to. We are an old army. poo poo, I remember eye-brows were beginning to raise in 2004-05 when the average profile of an infanteer was a 28 year old Cpl with at least 6 years.

Retention, retention, retention... Meanwhile my friend's facebook page is a wall of articles like this, and they wonder why we're withering away on parade nights.

tl;dr we're hosed.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah the CAF is not doing a good job with retention, and even worse with recruitment.

I look forward to seeing how many barrels I get bent over trying to go back in.

EDIT: Just saw the new officer ranks. What the fuuuuuck were they thinking? Warrant Officer is a BIG crown, and Major is a itty bitty crown? What the hell was wrong with stripes?

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 17, 2014

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'd sign up if I weren't in school and somehow so out of shape I get winded running up an escalator to catch a train.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

I'd sign up if I weren't in school and somehow so out of shape I get winded running up an escalator to catch a train.

I wouldn't be concerned about that. We had a guy who needed a custom tunic because of his size, dude dropped 40 pounds in basic just from marching and going up and down those accursed stairs.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah I was like 220 when I first joined, lost like 45 pounds in basic and was doing daily 10k runs.

I hate cardio.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Kazinsal posted:

Apply to RMC Kingston or St-Jean. Wear a silly hat, continue your education, do lots of sports.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
Has anyone here been to Goose Bay? How desolate is it? What are the locals like? Am I going to be able to afford to live out there for three years?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Being posted to Ottawa feels like cheating.

Get posted to Ottawa.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

scaper exile posted:

Has anyone here been to Goose Bay? How desolate is it? What are the locals like? Am I going to be able to afford to live out there for three years?

Well, here's the CBI for isolated postings for your third question. I presume you're not bringing a wife/family so you want to look at unaccompanied rates. It's not much...

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-11-isolated-post-instructions.page

Addman
Dec 6, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

QUELLE SUPRISE!

So is now a good time to join as a fat slob? I applied to 32cbg but then it got closed, just re applied last month.

edit: reserves

Simkin
May 18, 2007

You just need to clear the low, low bar of the FORCE fit test. And find a PRes unit that's looking for dudes (all of them).

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Well, and the aptitude testing minimum for the trade you're going for. But yeah, a lot of units are hurting for personnel, especially the support trades.

Doesn't help that they keep jacking everyone around with the educational allowances.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

How long does this process take, anyway? I had my interview in September for this application, and it took them until November to even bother calling my references. Is that usual? Speedy?

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

How long does this process take, anyway? I had my interview in September for this application, and it took them until November to even bother calling my references. Is that usual? Speedy?

Sounds about right, maybe a bit faster than normal. The entire process for me took about 10 months and I was applying for a trade they were desperately short on.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I'd say right now, six months is about average. I've seen some applications go from start to finish in 3-4, but that likely had a lot to do with them trying to fill up a January BMQ.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005

Simkin posted:

You just need to clear the low, low bar of the FORCE fit test. And find a PRes unit that's looking for dudes (all of them).

Ok thanks, I have heard this force test is pretty hard to gently caress up. I have a couple questions if that is ok, I am joining infantry, will I still have to do the pushup/situp/grip test? Or is it only the force test and thats it? Obviously I am expecting to do a lot of pushups in bmq... It is refreshing to know that they need people everywhere now - I don't know if its bullshit or not but I heard they were only hiring a couple people in each area for infantry the past couple years.

I am not horrendously overweight, only by about 20-30lb but having been rotting behind a desk the past 7 years, and I am pretty poor so I don't want a gym membership. While preparing to join would it suffice to do something like 100 pushups, 100 situps programs and run for like an hour every other day? The fitness info I have read was from a couple of years ago, I am not sure if it changed. When doing the pushups are you doing press ups or just regular pushups with your elbows outwards?

Merry christmas

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Addman posted:

Ok thanks, I have heard this force test is pretty hard to gently caress up. I have a couple questions if that is ok, I am joining infantry, will I still have to do the pushup/situp/grip test? Or is it only the force test and thats it? Obviously I am expecting to do a lot of pushups in bmq... It is refreshing to know that they need people everywhere now - I don't know if its bullshit or not but I heard they were only hiring a couple people in each area for infantry the past couple years.

I am not horrendously overweight, only by about 20-30lb but having been rotting behind a desk the past 7 years, and I am pretty poor so I don't want a gym membership. While preparing to join would it suffice to do something like 100 pushups, 100 situps programs and run for like an hour every other day? The fitness info I have read was from a couple of years ago, I am not sure if it changed. When doing the pushups are you doing press ups or just regular pushups with your elbows outwards?

Merry christmas

For the running give the couch to 5k program a try, its pretty good, and if you find you're way above what its offering or whatever then you just skip ahead a few days in the program as you go. If you can afford a barbell and a set of weights plus a bare basic squat rack and bench off like Kijiji.ca(you can find em real cheap) or whatever I'd recommend just doing the starting strength program in the YLLS sub forum in their newbie guide.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005

Mederlock posted:

For the running give the couch to 5k program a try, its pretty good, and if you find you're way above what its offering or whatever then you just skip ahead a few days in the program as you go. If you can afford a barbell and a set of weights plus a bare basic squat rack and bench off like Kijiji.ca(you can find em real cheap) or whatever I'd recommend just doing the starting strength program in the YLLS sub forum in their newbie guide.

Thanks dude, I actually was under the impression squat racks were expensive? Arent they like 1000 bucks? There is a good gym in Toronto I went to but they moved and I have not been back. I emphasized the fact I didn't really have much confidence going in but they couldn't get the hint, working on a rack in private would probably be more suitable for me. When I was there I just was constantly thinking "Am I doing this right? Do I look like an rear end in a top hat?". When I was there I was doing 5x5 stronglifts program. Please keep in mind the people at this gym (fortis fitness, cannot recommend strongly enough) were really nice it was my own confidence that was lacking. I will take a look on kijiji and craigslist for racks, if I can find one cheap I will get it - like I said I am poor and I have a small apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

You're not going to put a squat rack into a small apartment. That's just silly.