Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Romances that are perfectly acceptable:

Sokka gets a girlfriend after being a tremendous sexist jerk within the course of an episode.
Bolin starts dating Opal after like five minutes.
Mako and Korra start having ~feelings~ for each other and have longing looks out at the sky within an episode of meeting each other despite being snarky at each other.
Zuko and Mai form a close-knit relationship entirely offscreen over the course of about two weeks.

Romances that are unacceptable pro-agenda bullshit:
Two people who have known each other for five years and have a close relationship with one another and have more screentime together than three of the four relationships listed above have combined begin a romance in the most mundane way possible.

However, of course, there's nothing homophobic about this. It's just that gay relationships need extra-special justification and you have to make it extra-super blatant or else it's cheating and pushing an agenda.

westyx posted:

Watching the book 3 alternate ending linked earlier ( http://vimeo.com/111870918 ) made me realise how much korra changed her fighting style to deliver in the final fight. IN the previous fights she used brute force and was often outmatched skillwise - in the final fight she adapted to her surroundings and the villain, using skill where earlier she would have just tried for the one big knockout. Huh.

They do a legitimately good style of developing Korra's fighting style over the course of the show. She briefly reverts back to KORRA SMASH at the start of Season 4 but it's pretty understandable why. It's also a nice way to explain how she can fight Kuvira more effectively beyond just 'she got over her problems" when she goes away from smashing to fighting smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Akumos posted:

Even if you want to say there were hints about it, I would point out your heterosexual relationships are hints against it, and the fact that we have never seen you interested in a woman. It just feels out of place because you never specifically made it apparent that you were bi. Your relationship would be completely fine to me if it made sense, but it really doesn't to me, and your statements about why you're dating her just makes me feel more disappointed.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'll be honest, I thought kataang was way weirder and more unexpected than korrasami. So I guess I've either been tainted by the gay agenda, or I just can't see 14 and 12 year olds falling in tru wuv with each other.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Forget korrasami, is makowu canon?!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Akumos posted:

drat if this doesn't sum up my entire problem with the ending.
So, your first mistake was to quote the tired shitposting troll whose total gimmick is to post wrong things about everything. Your second mistake was to agree with them.

Akumos posted:

Even if you want to say there were hints about it, I would point out their heterosexual relationships were hints against it
Son do you know what bisexuals actually are

Akumos posted:

They basically said they literally just put it in to make the LGBT community happy and support them. Not a bad thing, but actions in your story should reflect the story, not your personal agenda..
Yes, because absolutely nothing else about the Avatar series has ever supported a moral agenda before now. When creators write stories in support of girl power or characters with disabilities or environmentalism or about kids with abusive parents, that's all just reflecting the story! But god forbid anyone supports queers in a cartoon, that would be a personal agenda.

Reassess your life, bigot. :buddy:

Akumos posted:

the fact that we had never seen either of them interested in a woman on the show.

Akumos posted:

We had like a scene of Korra blushing once, which could've just been taken as something shying from a compliment, and we vaguely noticed that Korra was communicating with Asami more than others, like through letters, which at the time could be interpreted as her feelings more comfortable talking to someone she WASN'T as close to.
So basically, the only reason you never saw either of them being interested in woman on the show is because you viewed all these scenes of them being interested in women on the show as something heteronormative instead.

Hey, ain't no shame in it, it's just what it is. If a lifetime of social conditioning were so easy to recognize and fix, there wouldn't be any discrimination in the world in the first place.

(In any case, you left out a couple scenes -- end of book 3, beginning of book 4 -- of Asami being physically-intimate with Korra in ways that suggest something more than friendship to the point that many people here even wondered about their intent. Oh, but we were totally looking for things that weren't there, right?)

Akumos posted:

I think the fact that everyone supporting this ending just resorts to "lol get mad homophobe/cishetscum" shows why pandering like this is loving retarded, no one on that side actually cares about any other viewpoint on the ending, they just want to keep pushing that agenda.
Aw gently caress, all these victims of inequity and marginalization finally got one single thing they wanted after a lifetime of not having this kind of representation. It is therefore time for I, a Straight Male, the one demographic that is most represented and catered-to on the planet, to stand my ground against all these agenda pushers wanting to experience this thing that has always been readily available to me.

:spergin:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 25, 2014

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
you effortposted at akumos

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

BrianWilly posted:

So, your first mistake was to quote the tired shitposting troll whose total gimmick is to post wrong things about everything. Your second mistake was to agree with them.
Son do you know what bisexuals actually are
Yes, because absolutely nothing else about the Avatar series has ever supported a moral agenda before now. When creators write stories in support of girl power or characters with disabilities or environmentalism or about kids with abusive parents, that's all just reflecting the story! But god forbid anyone supports queers in a cartoon, that would be a personal agenda.

Reassess your life, bigot. :buddy:

So basically, the only reason you never saw either of them being interested in woman on the show is because you viewed all these scenes of them being interested in women on the show as something heteronormative instead.

Hey, ain't no shame in it, it's just what it is. If a lifetime of social conditioning were so easy to recognize and fix, there wouldn't be any discrimination in the world in the first place.

(In any case, you left out a couple scenes -- end of book 3, beginning of book 4 -- of Asami being physically-intimate with Korra in ways that suggest something more than friendship to the point that many people here even wondered about their intent. Oh, but we were totally looking for things that weren't there, right?)
Aw gently caress, all these victims of inequity and marginalization finally got one single thing they wanted after a lifetime of not having this kind of representation. It is therefore time for I, a Straight Male, the one demographic that is most represented and catered-to on the planet, to stand my ground against all these agenda pushers wanting to experience this thing that has always been readily available to me.

:spergin:

:cumpolice:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Effort? Pft, I manifest the gay agenda as a matter of course.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Let go of your hetero tethers
enter the homo
become gay

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

It would be actually cool to have gay or bisexual characters, but the sad thing is they weren't either until the very last episode I guess as a way to be remembered or get people talking?

Maybe it was a thank you to the fans since they're leaving Nick and the series behind for good, and there's been nothing but shipping two characters who barely even spoke to each other in the first season since the first episode by said fans.

As a bisexual it would be nice to see depictions of gay or bisexual characters outside of jarring sudden fan-service, but American cartoons still have a long ways to go I suppose.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Akumos posted:

They basically said they literally just put it in to make the LGBT community happy and support them. Not a bad thing, but actions in your story should reflect the story, not your personal agenda..

Haha. Now how do you think people who aren't white hetero males feel about television and movies?

I'm not one to parrot sjw talking points but that's too perfect an example.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mymla posted:

enter the homo
become gay

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mymla posted:

enter the homo
become gay

Great post, however it was a bit abrupt and unrealistic. Really it needs between 26 and 39 episodes setting it up beforehand to be believable.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And the recap narrator narrating the entire thing, spelling it out to the audience or deliberately obtuse.

In all seriousness, they could have use some more scenes together this season at least and it probably would have helped. I think that clip show really mucked things up.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

It just needed at least one episode. Instead of the last 6 minutes of one.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I wouldn't want to interject conversation into this, but here goes:

How do we know that Korasami was even possible during most of B4? I mean, we start with Korra being horribly depressed and suffering from PTSD which is pretty bad for relationships. Then we get the fact that :siren: literally Hitler :siren: is building a giant death army - which is stressful, distracting, and obviously more important to Korra than hitting on people. Later, there's a giant death robot - which while very encouraging to engineers wouldn't help anyone who has to kill the drat thing.

It's almost as if two young adults taking part in WW1 and PTSD and then WW2 might not be ready or willing to commit to any kind of relationship because of the horrors of war until after they feel it is safe again to celebrate, be merry, and be gay. And as if this would be obvious to anyone with the slightest sense of social skills or empathy, which I guess the average goon lacks.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Has there been any instance of "You're not allowed to like korrasami/your opinion doesn't count because you're a straight male and all straight males like girls who like girls"? Because as someone working on an indie game with the intention of having strong female characters I've actually been concerned and worried that there might be a subconscious desire to put in 'strong' female characters not necessarily because of wanting to advance inequality but because on some level as a straight male that's just something I probably find attractive.

Is there discourse on that? Is that a problem in of itself or an acceptable transitional step and that being self reflective on that is probably a good sign?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Raenir Salazar posted:

Because as someone working on an indie game with the intention of having strong female characters I've actually been concerned and worried that there might be a subconscious desire to put in 'strong' female characters not necessarily because of wanting to advance inequality but because on some level as a straight male that's just something I probably find attractive.

The problem with "strong female characters" in general is that, yeah, they're essentially male fantasies. If your strong female character is basically "a man, but with tits," then you're probably doing something wrong.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, I'm sure gay people all over the world were waiting for a cartoon about magical kung-fu to validate their life choices. You sound like a loving lunatic.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Has there been any instance of "You're not allowed to like korrasami/your opinion doesn't count because you're a straight male and all straight males like girls who like girls"? Because as someone working on an indie game with the intention of having strong female characters I've actually been concerned and worried that there might be a subconscious desire to put in 'strong' female characters not necessarily because of wanting to advance inequality but because on some level as a straight male that's just something I probably find attractive.

Is there discourse on that? Is that a problem in of itself or an acceptable transitional step and that being self reflective on that is probably a good sign?

This won't quite answer your questions but I think you should be careful with the whole "strong female characters" goal. Your goal should be to write meaningful, interesting women. Korra is strong, but she also struggles with depression (and arguably implied suicidal ideation). She's not just a "strong female character." Same with Asami, Katara, and Toph. They all have weaknesses and complexities beyond their amazing skills. They're more than just walking badasses that happen to have boobs which in a way is becoming its own problem. It's a step from damsels in distress, but it still needs work.

I think as long as you are reflexive and honest with yourself on what your intentions are with a character and you try to imagine women as complex beings capable of agency but also sometimes carrying around a lot of baggage, you're doing better than most.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=311

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=336

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

T-man posted:

:siren: literally Hitler :siren:

You literally need a lesson on what this word means. :eng101:

To step away from the redundant discourse that leads us nowhere because no one is going to change their mind and because the more people argue the more people dig in their heels:

What was everyone's favorite and least favorite episodes of LoK and of the franchise?

Lots of ways to go with this one. Do you like development of your favorite characters like "Zuko Alone"? Do you like back story from times outside the main narrative like "The Avatar and the Firelord" or "Beginnings Pt 1&2"? Do you like silly episodes that lead to (my) avatar like "Nightmares and Daydreams"?

For AtLA, I generally like background, so for me it has to be "The Storm" from season 1 of AtLA. Least favorite is "Avatar Day"

It's harder when only taking into account LoK, because I didn't watch those episodes as religiously as AtLA. I'd probably have to say for a good, limit-pushing episode, "Long live the Queen" is pretty awesome.

Most of season 2 fails for me, though it does produce "Beginnings" which are some of the best of LoK.

Please continue.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DJPress posted:

Which word -- literaly, or Hitler? :v: Unless Literalhitler has become the latest trending term on Urbandictionary!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DJPress posted:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally :eng99:

In any case, my least favorite Korra episodes would have to be the last episode of the first season with the whole Aang Ex machina for the happy ending or the last episode of the second season for: Dubstep lasters! Korra's spirit is a giant angry monster! Glowing Gold Light Kills 10000 years of Darkness! and so on.

Seriously, was there ANY foreshadowing that Korra could turn into the Angry Blue Giant at will, and why did this apparently be forgotten after the episode?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

As long as your characters don't randomly become lesbians right before the credits roll so fans can j/o you'll be fine.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's best to assume all characters are heterosexual then throw a fit when it turns out they're not instead. It's normal, you see.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

DJPress posted:

To step away from the redundant discourse that leads us nowhere because no one is going to change their mind and because the more people argue the more people dig in their heels:

What was everyone's favorite and least favorite episodes of LoK and of the franchise?

Lots of ways to go with this one. Do you like development of your favorite characters like "Zuko Alone"? Do you like back story from times outside the main narrative like "The Avatar and the Firelord" or "Beginnings Pt 1&2"? Do you like silly episodes that lead to (my) avatar like "Nightmares and Daydreams"?

For AtLA, I generally like background, so for me it has to be "The Storm" from season 1 of AtLA. Least favorite is "Avatar Day"

It's harder when only taking into account LoK, because I didn't watch those episodes as religiously as AtLA. I'd probably have to say for a good, limit-pushing episode, "Long live the Queen" is pretty awesome.

Most of season 2 fails for me, though it does produce "Beginnings" which are some of the best of LoK.

Please continue.

Favorite LoK: Korra Alone probably. I love Korra as a character and her struggles with depression really hit home for me.
Least favorite LoK: Clip show. Just makes me mad at Nick whenever I think of it. They did the best they could under the circumstances.

Favorite ATLA: The Beach. I adore Zuko and Azula and this episode really gives you a good understanding of the villains of the series.
Least favorite ALTA: The Great Divide. Just dull and not really important to the story at all.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

Seriously as long as you actually write a good character you can usually just ignore anyone talking poo poo. Yeah as I'm sure you know there's plenty of bad female characters in games, and a lot of that does comes from them being designed not to be a good character in themselves but just as a tool to stroke (the assumed teenage male) target audiences ego, or just to give them some sort of scantly clad eye candy to look at, usually both, but this really shouldn't be that hard to not do.

Don't be put off by some of the trolling that's in this thread. If you do anything there's going to be some group of people somewhere in the world that don't like it, that's pretty much a grantee. Just go a head and try and create a good character -you know someone who's an actual person with their own motivations and agency- and If you're still worried your character isn't a good character ask someone who's opinion you trust. Pretty much the best way to make sure your not being offensive is to ask the people who might reasonably be offend by it 'hey is this offensive', nearly every one will be happy to tell you, and most of the time people will just be glad you've even bothered to ask. I've heard many writers talking about being unsure about characters they've written that for what ever reason their unsure about, and the best advice they always give is if your unsure ask someone who give you a good opinion about it.

The fact that you've just watch ( and I assume enjoyed at least a bit) a show that has plenty of examples of well written, strong female characters, and that your actually interested in making sure you get it right, tells me that you'll probably have a decent idea yourself if you mess the character up, and again, as it really can't be stated enough, if in doubt ask a secound opinion.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

Because I'd rather argue about grammar than the last 30 seconds of a show that ran for 20 hours of screen time: http://theweek.com/article/index/241002/how-the-wrong-definition-of-literally-snuck-into-the-dictionary

Or to let bygones be bygones... moving on to episode discussion... go!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DJPress posted:

Because I'd rather argue about grammar than the last 30 seconds of a show that ran for 20 hours of screen time: http://theweek.com/article/index/241002/how-the-wrong-definition-of-literally-snuck-into-the-dictionary

Or to let bygones be bygones... moving on to episode discussion... go!

1. Literally has been used literally in this sense for years.
2. It's literally in the dictionary
3. The Week is literally the Hitler of the English language.

Non-bullshit content:

I still want to know: where did the giant blue monster thing come from? Is there some cultural thing I'm ignorant of that sets it as a thing that exists?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

T-man posted:

I still want to know: where did the giant blue monster thing come from? Is there some cultural thing I'm ignorant of that sets it as a thing that exists?

Which giant blue monster thing? Catfish monster? Giant spirit Korra?

The Catfish monster, at least, was inspired by Princess Mononoke.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

westyx posted:

Watching the book 3 alternate ending linked earlier ( http://vimeo.com/111870918 ) made me realise how much korra changed her fighting style to deliver in the final fight. IN the previous fights she used brute force and was often outmatched skillwise - in the final fight she adapted to her surroundings and the villain, using skill where earlier she would have just tried for the one big knockout. Huh.

Cool

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Jimbot posted:

It's best to assume all characters are heterosexual then throw a fit when it turns out they're not instead. It's normal, you see.

The character was heterosexual to the point of an entire season dedicated to a heterosexual love triangle, until literally the last episode of the last season when suddenly she's a lesbian just for fanservice.

Pretty typical of anime shows, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

T-man posted:

1. Literally has been used literally in this sense for years.
2. It's literally in the dictionary
3. The Week is literally the Hitler of the English language.

Non-bullshit content:

Ever seen any of the Godzilla movies?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DrPaper posted:

The character was heterosexual to the point of an entire season dedicated to a heterosexual love triangle, until literally the last episode of the last season when suddenly she's a lesbian just for fanservice.

Pretty typical of anime shows, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised.

They kind of spent two seasons slowly building up to the ending. It should have been more front and center but the hints were there and people point out them out at the time in this very thread (and were told they were reaching for something that wasn't there or were called worse).

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DrPaper posted:

until literally the last episode of the last season when suddenly she's a lesbian just for fanservice.

I can't believe how many people just weren't paying attention until the last episode.

Or, I guess I can believe that, but I can't believe how many people are just refusing to realize retrospectively that they were clearly building to it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, it probably needs to be mentioned every page that bisexuality is a thing that exists.

Bisexuality is a thing that exists.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I'd really understand the "sudden lesbian twist"complaints if Korra and Asami had sped to the altar or even proclaimed their undying love: a few blushing glances don't foreshadow that, sure. But what were actually got was the mildest possible beginning of a relationship. Clear, official, but still basically a "first date" between people who had previously had thoughts but not acted. How much buildup does it possibly need for two already close people in their twenties to see if they can be something more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, it probably needs to be mentioned every page that bisexuality is a thing that exists.

Bisexuality is a thing that exists.

How can it exist if gender doesn't exist?

• Locked thread