Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

Space Bat posted:

How can it exist if gender doesn't exist?

Oh great, a loving hipster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Plot twist: Korra secretly energybent Asami to make her fall in love.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

westyx posted:

Watching the book 3 alternate ending linked earlier ( http://vimeo.com/111870918 ) made me realise how much korra changed her fighting style to deliver in the final fight. IN the previous fights she used brute force and was often outmatched skillwise - in the final fight she adapted to her surroundings and the villain, using skill where earlier she would have just tried for the one big knockout. Huh.

Why didn't they go with the alternate ending? It makes Korra crying at the end make so much more sense because we see what she's thinking as all this poo poo's going on around her. Would definitely have helped put us in the mood for Korra finding her way back in S4.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Why didn't they go with the alternate ending?

I think it's a fan edit, not an official alternate ending.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

DJPress posted:

What was everyone's favorite and least favorite episodes of LoK and of the franchise?

Most:
AtLA: Zuko Alone. That episode really made me want to see Zuko join the Gaang but instead when the perfect moment came up, Zuko chose the Fire Nation. I love the writers for doing that :allears:
Korra: Beginnings 1&2 and The Terror Within for that amazing fight scene in the first half of the episode

Least:
AtLA: Great Divide (enough said)
Korra: The clip show episode. Sure it was a clip show but it could've been awesome/funny like the Ember Island Players one from AtLA :(

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4WoLeQnHk

Here's a collection of reactions to the ending. If you're such a Grinch that you can't help but poo poo on this thread, Korrasami and this show endlessly, maybe watch this and see how happy it makes people and have some perspective.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

thexerox123 posted:

I think it's a fan edit, not an official alternate ending.

Oh. ofc.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Space Bat posted:

How can it exist if gender doesn't exist?
Gender is a social construct but it definitely exists.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Realistically, the avatar would have such tremendous importance, that nobody would care what gender role it has to assume. An avatar is raised to be the avatar; not a man or a woman.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

lDDQD posted:

Realistically, the avatar would have such tremendous importance, that nobody would care what gender role it has to assume. An avatar is raised to be the avatar; not a man or a woman.

Depends on when they find out they are the Avatar. Most cases, it's around 16, where most of the parental stuff has been taken care of.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Certainly didn't turn out that way in Korra's case. All she ever wanted was to be the ~best avatar~ she could be, particularly in the earlier seasons.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Two people who have known each other for five years and have a close relationship with one another and have more screentime together than three of the four relationships listed above have combined begin a romance in the most mundane way possible.

They hung out for less than 6 months and then didn't see each other for 3 years dude, that entire thing was stupid for the whole group.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Imo, you are not unrealistically slutty if you go from friends to hand holding in six months plus three years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

They hung out for less than 6 months and then didn't see each other for 3 years dude, that entire thing was stupid for the whole group.

Nope. There's an around a year and a half in Republic City from the start of the series to Korra leaving and Asami was specifically the only person Korra remained in contact with for the bulk of the 3 year gap.

Also, y'know, every other example I gave of a relationship was a significantly shorter period of time, except Zhu-Li and Varrick. Almost every relationship period is over a shorter period of time than Asami and Korra. Zuko and Mai hook up after Zuko's long exile in a shorter period of time than Asami and Korra spent together after she returned.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 25, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean you're entitled to your wrong opinion

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Gender is a social construct

wat?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Almost every relationship period is over a shorter period of time than Asami and Korra. Zuko and Mai hook up after Zuko's long exile in a shorter period of time than Asami and Korra spent together after she returned.

The long period of friendship between Korra and Asami is precisely what makes their romance seem so abrupt. It'd be like at the end of Last Airbender if Toph just layed one on Katara. We'd all be cheering at the progressive nature of the relationship and melodramatically rending our clothes at the thought that, finally, gay relationships are represented in cartoons, but it would still be weirdly out of the blue.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I'm relatively new here. Question for TVIV regulars: Does every thread devolve into discussions of sexuality or is it just kids cartoons?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If I explain what I said, it'll devolve into a slapfight over supposed "social justice warrior" concepts, I can see it right now. So if you haven't heard someone say that before, just look it up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

The long period of friendship between Korra and Asami is precisely what makes their romance seem so abrupt. It'd be like at the end of Last Airbender if Toph just layed one on Katara. We'd all be cheering at the progressive nature of the relationship and melodramatically rending our clothes at the thought that, finally, gay relationships are represented in cartoons, but it would still be weirdly out of the blue.

Friendship can lead to romance you know.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hauldren Collider posted:

I'm relatively new here. Question for TVIV regulars: Does every thread devolve into discussions of sexuality or is it just kids cartoons?

Just cartoons that have blog posts by the creators specifically clarifying their intentions regarding the main character's sexuality.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

T-man posted:

I wouldn't want to interject conversation into this, but here goes:

How do we know that Korasami was even possible during most of B4? I mean, we start with Korra being horribly depressed and suffering from PTSD which is pretty bad for relationships. Then we get the fact that :siren: literally Hitler :siren: is building a giant death army - which is stressful, distracting, and obviously more important to Korra than hitting on people. Later, there's a giant death robot - which while very encouraging to engineers wouldn't help anyone who has to kill the drat thing.

It's almost as if two young adults taking part in WW1 and PTSD and then WW2 might not be ready or willing to commit to any kind of relationship because of the horrors of war until after they feel it is safe again to celebrate, be merry, and be gay. And as if this would be obvious to anyone with the slightest sense of social skills or empathy, which I guess the average goon lacks.

Stfu

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hauldren Collider posted:

Welcome to the Internet: a place where, for every person, animal, inanimate object, and philosophical ideal, there's someone out there thinkin' "Yep. I'd gently caress that."

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
The horrors of war. Lol.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm glad I won't have to deal with this thread any more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Come on. Just imagine how great this thread would be in six months. Just imagine.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MrAristocrates posted:

Why are you dealing with it now? Being OP doesn't give you any added responsibilities or authority, you weirdo.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It's like Roku said: "When love is real, it finds a way. And being the Avatar doesn't hurt your chances with the ladies either. "

Also nice consistency that so far the Avatar's shorter than everyone they've gone out with.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Mymla posted:

Imo, you are not unrealistically slutty if you go from friends to hand holding in six months plus three years.

poo poo some people actually start loving on the first date and many others want to but just don't because social pressures n poo poo.

Korra and Asami are basically going on their first date even if they themselves aren't entirely aware of it yet. Ain't no big thing unless you are a hardcore fan of a different irrelevant cartoon romantic pairing or a raging homophobe.

The ending helped some of the LGBTQ folks out there not feel like a worthless sack of poo poo the way much of every society on the planet seems hellbent on doing to them.

That alone ought to at least make it a sweet gesture anyone with a heart should be happy for.

People loving suck and treat one another like poo poo. If something helps some folks not feel so bad if only for a little bit can't people be happy for it? Just a little even?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

hiddenriverninja posted:

Depends on when they find out they are the Avatar. Most cases, it's around 16, where most of the parental stuff has been taken care of.
I imagine the reason that there's less overall sexism in the Avatar world than there would be in a real world historical equivalent is because A) it's a fictional world first of all, it doesn't need to be anything unless it wants to be B) it's harder to hold onto discriminative worldviews when both boys and girls have an equal chance of becoming The Messiah.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. There's an around a year and a half in Republic City from the start of the series to Korra leaving and Asami was specifically the only person Korra remained in contact with for the bulk of the 3 year gap.

Also, y'know, every other example I gave of a relationship was a significantly shorter period of time, except Zhu-Li and Varrick. Almost every relationship period is over a shorter period of time than Asami and Korra. Zuko and Mai hook up after Zuko's long exile in a shorter period of time than Asami and Korra spent together after she returned.

Fair enough, I was under the impression that most of the events happened in a fairly short span of time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I imagine the reason that there's less overall sexism in the Avatar world than there would be in a real world historical equivalent is because A) it's a fictional world first of all, it doesn't need to be anything unless it wants to be B) it's harder to hold onto discriminative worldviews when both boys and girls have an equal chance of becoming The Messiah.

To be fair, Sokka was sexist as poo poo.

To be fair, Sokka was also kind of a shithead.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

My theory is that, unfortunately, due to Chaos Theory probably, Korra wound up being the actual first female Avatar from the Water Tribes. Hence Sokka and Paku, literally the only two sexist people in the entire universe.

This is probably my favorite product of the Korrasami ending

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Yeah the water tribes at Aangs time were patriarchal as hell and was it actually canon that the air nomads were sexually segregated (I can't remember)?

I think it was just accepted that the Avatar is the Avatar and can be and do almost anything they want. A third sex almost, above standard protocols and hierarchy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

My theory is that, unfortunately, due to Chaos Theory probably, Korra wound up being the actual first female Avatar from the Water Tribes. Hence Sokka and Paku, literally the only two sexist people in the entire universe.

This is probably my favorite product of the Korrasami ending

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Miss Nomer posted:

Most:
AtLA: Zuko Alone. That episode really made me want to see Zuko join the Gaang but instead when the perfect moment came up, Zuko chose the Fire Nation. I love the writers for doing that :allears:
Korra: Beginnings 1&2 and The Terror Within for that amazing fight scene in the first half of the episode

Least:
AtLA: Great Divide (enough said)
Korra: The clip show episode. Sure it was a clip show but it could've been awesome/funny like the Ember Island Players one from AtLA :(

Hmm, not sure what you mean by Zuko Alone - that's the one where he helps the farming family against the corrupt earth soldiers.

The episode that had me going was The Crossroads of Destiny. I was watching ATLA through S4 of Korra, so knew that Zuko eventually Did The Right Thing. I kept waiting during the fight for Zuko to turn on Azula, kept waiting, kept waiting, and then it was the end of the fight and Aang was broken. This to me shows really good writing.

lDDQD posted:

For the entirety of ATLA fire nation people are trying to kill or capture the avatar - the avatar isn't a universal 'lets bow down before them' figure.

BrianWilly posted:

We don't see any explicit non-hetero pairs that I know of. I don't think the Avatar world is deep enough due to the subject matter for sexism to even be addressed.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Homophobia isn't sexism, necessarily, and while homophobia hasn't been addressed, sexism in general very clearly has been. I'm just saying that the fact that the all-powerful poo poo-kicker of this world being both male and female throughout history, as decreed by the cosmos themselves, probably does a lot to promote notions of gender equality, at least compared to similar historical analogues in our own world.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

westyx posted:

We don't see any explicit non-hetero pairs that I know of. I don't think the Avatar world is deep enough due to the subject matter for sexism to even be addressed.

There's a lot of stuff we don't see on screen in every piece of fiction, but can assume is out there. And they were addressing sexism all the way back in the first few episodes of The Last Airbender.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I wanted the show to at least mention once in the last season that it was kuvira that saved tonraq's life. But I can't recall if they did. That would have been nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Imagine anyone trying to tell Kyoshi who she can or can't date

:black101:

• Locked thread