Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

to really be able to properly vote you need to watch 3 episodes of every 2014 anime imo

yes hello
Cross Ange is bad in a 'heres some good robots and dragons' with an overwhelming dose of 'lets see how edgy we can be before we lose funding' and they seem to still be getting funded. Don't be like me.
Dramatical Murder and Sailor Moon Crystal tie for most garbage animation/everything.
Glasslip and Wizard Barristers tie for most wasted potential though.

RWBY isnt an anime and Knights of Sidonia was awesome. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ping Pong

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I don't know if I watched 5 anime this year but this is all five of the worst ones

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
I do not normally watch anime but the worst this year I had to have seen was The Legend of Korra. Honestly a horrible cash in on the beloved first series, the ending has them go to hell which is even more hosed up when you consider the fact that they accept their sexuality in the finale, they go to hell? Utter garbage. Not to mention the loose plot threads with blood bending, Mako's existence being invalidated after Book 1, and the fact that through the entirety of the series we did not get to see any "Legend" made. A failure at capturing the scope of the original series with nothing but pandering to online sadbrains who don't care for poo poo other than which of the two is going to get some eskimo pussy. Also she's not black you retards, shes a loving inuit. What kind of black man lives in the loving cold. Thanks otaku for ruining one of my favorite series as a kid.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

that's funny because a good third of that thread is people swearing up and down that Korra is definitely not anime no sir, it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT than you degenerate japanese fucks

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

its not because anime is good

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Failcon posted:

I do not normally watch anime but the worst this year I had to have seen was The Legend of Korra. Honestly a horrible cash in on the beloved first series, the ending has them go to hell which is even more hosed up when you consider the fact that they accept their sexuality in the finale, they go to hell? Utter garbage. Not to mention the loose plot threads with blood bending, Mako's existence being invalidated after Book 1, and the fact that through the entirety of the series we did not get to see any "Legend" made. A failure at capturing the scope of the original series with nothing but pandering to online sadbrains who don't care for poo poo other than which of the two is going to get some eskimo pussy. Also she's not black you retards, shes a loving inuit. What kind of black man lives in the loving cold. Thanks otaku for ruining one of my favorite series as a kid.

Glad someone finally had the balls to say what we were all thinking.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

that's funny because a good third of that thread is people swearing up and down that Korra is definitely not anime no sir, it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT than you degenerate japanese fucks
it owns because the dudes who made it are giant turbonerds who loved FLCL

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Majority of anime is worse than most children's cartoons, I will concede that yes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Serious question here, is Korra actually worth watching? I have not seen a single episode of either it or the first Avatar. Followup question, and possibly more important than the first, are there gundams?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 25, 2014

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
Jinsei - Coming into it I thought the idea had potential for a pretty good comedy series. Instead it was an offensively boring show with horrible characters.

Rail Wars - I was looking forward to TRAINS but it tried to take itself way too seriously while shoving T&A into every possible frame.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - While I personally don't like the message this series puts out, at least the first season had charm. This just felt like an unending slog.

Super Sonico - i cant believe i watched 3 episodes of a show like this

Mahouka - I think enough people have given enough arguments for this.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

chumbler posted:

Serious question here, is Korra actually worth watching? I have not seen a single episode of either it or the first Avatar. Followup question, and possibly more important than the first, are there gundams?

1.) It's alright, more unintentionally bad due to rewrites and studio meddling than actively bad. It tries stuff and fails at it. It's alright looking most of the time.
2.) Yes, there is a gundam. (Spoilers)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

chumbler posted:

Depends on what your standards are / how much time you have to watch TV I guess. Both series are alright. I guess I would compare them to decent shounen like Soul Eater or Blue Exorcist. Both Avatar shows are probably 60 episodes, with probably 2/3 of the first series being good and 1/2 of the second series. As for gundams, Korra ends with the villain making a giant robot to destroy the city. The robot isn't very anime though, even though it has an arm laser cannon

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 25, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Airbender starts pretty silly and uninteresting, but it eventually gets pretty good. Korra is really uneven, and there's some god awful relationship drama in the first two books, but book 3 and 4 are also pretty okay, though there's still some awkward moments.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I liked Book 1 a lot despite its problems but it shares a lot of traits with Baccano so of course I do. Book 2 sucked outside of Howard Hughes. Book 3 ruled, haven't watched 4 yet.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

chumbler posted:

First season is okay, but has a lot of filler and a stupid finale that ruins the villain. Great animation tho'. Second season is stupid and has a lot of quality animation by the people who draw Naruto anime, but it still has some good moments and introduces a great character, also has beautiful episodes about the first avatar. Seasons 3 and 4 are good, fun and well-animated.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Namtab, what are the biggest stinkers for the year thus far? Is it too early for you to talk numbers?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

HiveCommander posted:

Namtab, what are the biggest stinkers for the year thus far? Is it too early for you to talk numbers?

There's a clear winner for worst anime it's mahouka, but all the others are very close.

I'm ending this when darkgray ends his, but I don't know when that is.

E: Legend of korra is not anime, btw.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 25, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Namtab posted:

E: Legend of korra is not anime, btw.

Yes it is, hth

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

DrPaper posted:

Yes it is, hth

anime actually has lesbians in it ergo its not

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DrPaper posted:

Yes it is, hth

It's gaijin filth and not fit to be discussed with real animated drawings to replace women

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Sword art online 2 for making me shout "oh gently caress off" while one of the main characters girlfriends started talking bullshit.

I'm just happy I stopped watching this before the main characters sister who wants her brother's population paste entered the storyline.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Korra is a good+fun show with good animation (except for most of season 2).

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i dont like show

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ernie Muppari posted:

i dont like show

is good show

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The first season of Korra started out cool because I'm a sucker for "fantasy world, but with technological advances" settings. It actually brought up a pretty cool and interesting question about the setting, "aren't nonbenders basically just second class citizens and intrinsically inferior humans, and isn't that kind of hosed up?" but then failed to ever address that question in any meaningful way ever, and the whole thing got resolved with "well Amon is kind of a loving lunatic so who cares about nonbenders I guess"

Every season after did the same thing, with a less interesting ~sympathetic antagonist ideology~ each time, and with a less effective villain each time. It's kind of a stupid show.

When the fight scenes are well done it looks cool though

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

is good show

no. is bad as are you for liking it

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

KLK is both one of the best and one of the worst shows this year, apparently. :psyduck:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Singing Chav posted:

KLK is both one of the best and one of the worst shows this year, apparently. :psyduck:

Lotta goons jerked off to a titty anime. Not a big surprise.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The Singing Chav posted:

Some people enjoy watching mother/daughter molestation. Everyone has their kinks :shrug:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I thought it had good music. There was a Platinum Games level of over-the-top that I appreciated too.

Everything else was hosed up, tho.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Singing Chav posted:

Sometimes thing can be pretty divisive yeah.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Srice posted:

Sometimes thing can be pretty divisive yeah.

hosed up if true

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ernie Muppari posted:

hosed up if true

It's hosed up as hell man, but that's the world we live in and we gotta deal with it.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Srice posted:

It's hosed up as hell man, but that's the world we live in and we gotta deal with it.

We can't deal with it. That's why we watch anime.

Noooooooo

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I thought Kill la Kill was ok and was exciting sometimes, but that's about it and in retrospect it wasn't really that great. I honestly got more out of Chaika and Chaika is cliche as gently caress.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

1.Mahouka. -Aggressively- boring to the point of being unwatchable. Good setting, but the plot, factions and main characters are all awful. Author has some weird hang-ups on women's clothes, foreign countries and apparently the millennial generation. The main character is an emotionless, unlikable Marty Stu. He pulls powers out of his rear end and is never in any danger ever. Second to him is his sister Miyuki who has an unhealthy obsession with him, but will never, ever do anything untoward because the author has LNs to sell. The entire conceit of the story is quickly rendered moot because Tatsuya is Just So Awesome. There are no stakes in this show and everyone except for terrorists is a Randian rear end in a top hat. This image tells you all you need to know, it captures the show shockingly well:

I know it's not but I really want it to be an image from that show.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

icantfindaname posted:

Depends on what your standards are / how much time you have to watch TV I guess. Both series are alright. I guess I would compare them to decent shounen like Soul Eater or Blue Exorcist. Both Avatar shows are probably 60 episodes, with probably 2/3 of the first series being good and 1/2 of the second series. As for gundams, Korra ends with the villain making a giant robot to destroy the city. The robot isn't very anime though, even though it has an arm laser cannon

Last Airbender is a pretty high level children's cartoon with a good story arc and good characters and a consistent, well thought out setting and background story. It's not perfect (slow to start and has a few episodes that are pretty devoid of value) but I'd recommend it to anyone who likes animation and doesn't have an allergy to kids shows

Korra is like... the same people went "Well, we were successful with our last show, so now let's add a bunch of poo poo from superhero comics and anime and ~TEEN DRAMA~ and I'm sure it'll still be just as good" except it wasn't except for that one season where Henry Rollins showed up and reminded everyone how cool magic kung fu could be

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Korra seemed like it was written by a forum of Airbender fans, instead of an actual writer. It had some weird things like characters knowing things they hadn't been told (thus implying that they speak from an audience perspective rather than having their own internal narrative), and a lot of focus on relationship drama that it is literally impossible to care about.

I'd like to vote for Mahouka but I couldn't make it through the second episode. So I'll bump No Game No Life instead, out of spite.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No Game No Life - It's a terrible show that I watched. OP song is good, everything else is trash, an awful show, and yet I couldn't strop watching this trainwreck.
Mahouka - Trainwreck.
Witch Craft Works - The parody bits around the show ( The Kraftwerks album cover ) were good, everything else was terrible.
Rail Wars! - The only way this could have been good is if it was Multitrack drifting the anime, but it wasn't, therefore it's terrible.

• Locked thread