Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chichevache posted:

It kind of is when his point is that all this contractually obligated stuff is nonsense, that the man's job is to be good at football and he does that well. That the needless over complication of the American workplace is so ridiculous that we no longer have janitors but "custodial technicians", and that every job in the world comes with a million dumb clauses and contracts, even if you're a ditchdigger.

Or something like that.

Well I thought his argument was going along that line (which I don't do agree it is nonsense) but then he talked about him also being signred to play football, and it seems rather arbitrary to see one as valid but not the other.

I mean you can say one is stupid, but he does owe it to us as much as he owes us to play football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

Is that his point? because he said

which is just incorrect, it's not pedantic to say that because it seems like it's central to what he's saying

I'm assuming (yes, making an rear end of blah blah) anyone reading this forum already knows that he is contractually obligated.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean you can say one is stupid, but he does owe it to us as much as he owes us to play football.

I think you can only make that statement if, for some bizarre reason, you value contract law above other social and ethical obligations.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
The problem with Marshawn isn't that he's required to talk, it's that the people he's required to talk to are sycophants and narcissists or just incompetent. Hanging your hat on the reverence people have for contract law to find sympathy for team reporters is laughable.

Lynch got where is by being good at football, not by giving a good quote. If reporters want to be given more respect, maybe they should try not being bad at their job? I think that's the part that really gets me. All this poo poo Marshawn gets for being neglectful of the least important part of his job is from people who are overwhelmingly and objectively, by their own standards, terrible at theirs.

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

The age demanded an image / Of its accelerated grimace
I hate the "talk about X" trope that sportwriters use as much as anyone, but I think some people are being a little unfair to the reporters here.

Most of the guys asking these questions are the beat writers who work for local outlets and they are filing game stories on very tight deadlines. A game story isn't going to be a whole lot more than just a description of what happened and then a few quotes from players that, very generally, capture the mood of what happened. They go to Lynch, for example, because he made a pivotal play and his reaction to it is probably what fans expect to read.

Most of those guys will be asking much better questions at practices and looking for different angles that their competition won't be covering, because they'll have much more time to do it. When they're writing the game story they have about 10 minutes to get quotes and then 20 minutes to re-write the story and file it. It's just not conducive to anything other than the boilerplate stuff.

Some writers do it better than others, but it's a tough job.

Now, the national guys, like Prisco, are absolutely waiting for Marshawn Lynch to do something like this, so they can write some bullshit about how disrespectful it is. These guys thrive on phoney controversy and you just know he was delighted to see that transcript of Lynch's non-interview (I bet he wasn't there).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Seems to me they could just not ask yes or no questions?

Or just be a ham with him, for fucks sake. Ask him poo poo like, "Marshawn, how do you like the new Applebees steak selection?"

edit:

Or....

"Marshawn, what do you think of the new nacho cheese sauce they're selling in the stadium? I think it's poo poo, but I really want your take."

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Chichevache posted:

I think you can only make that statement if, for some bizarre reason, you value contract law above other social and ethical obligations.

*in a really dumb nerdy voice* I think you can only make that statement if, for some bizarre reason, you value contract law above other social and ethical obligations.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Declan MacManus posted:

*in a really dumb nerdy voice* I think you can only make that statement if, for some bizarre reason, you value contract law above other social and ethical obligations.

social and ethical obligations

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

SlipUp posted:

The problem with Marshawn isn't that he's required to talk, it's that the people he's required to talk to are sycophants and narcissists or just incompetent. Hanging your hat on the reverence people have for contract law to find sympathy for team reporters is laughable.

Lynch got where is by being good at football, not by giving a good quote. If reporters want to be given more respect, maybe they should try not being bad at their job? I think that's the part that really gets me. All this poo poo Marshawn gets for being neglectful of the least important part of his job is from people who are overwhelmingly and objectively, by their own standards, terrible at theirs.

What do you mean by bad at their job? I agree completely with Nately's post about the extremely tight deadline and boilerplate quote expectations, and he mentioned the same reason that I did for reporters to approach Marshawn. He's not the backup left guard here

And keep in mind that these same reporters never seemed "bad at their job" back when they were interviewing Matt Hasselbeck and Shaun Alexander

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

They're bad at their job because they ask pointless, open-ended "Can you talk about..." questions, instead of anything interesting. There are very few beat reporters in the NFL compared to say baseball, where reporters develop relationships and have more success developing interesting stories. Now you could argue it's not the fault of the reporter that his editor or his readers want a game recap plus reaction quote, that he's just doing his job. Which is true, because his job is stupid.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ought ten posted:

They're bad at their job because they ask pointless, open-ended "Can you talk about..." questions, instead of anything interesting. There are very few beat reporters in the NFL compared to say baseball, where reporters develop relationships and have more success developing interesting stories. Now you could argue it's not the fault of the reporter that his editor or his readers want a game recap plus reaction quote, that he's just doing his job. Which is true, because his job is stupid.

There is the implied expectation that the reporter would like the player to talk about the topic of this open ended question because either they think it is relevant or useful to their article or job or whatever. Taking quick, terse press conference questions at face value makes them sound lazy and banal but you really don't have time to do a 40 minute breakdown of the players lives and delve into their emotions when there's a room full of people trying to get their story whatever it is. Press conferences are for the press, it's in the name, they're not supposed to be exciting or even interesting necessarily for the fans so we shouldn't even give a poo poo about them anyway.

Yes most of the time the dumb press questions are meant to be in service of click bait bullshit or skip bayless fodder or whatever but there are legitimate ""sports" "journalists"" who are trying to genuinely figure out what players were thinking or feeling rather than just guessing or trying to turn a moment into some movie scene

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Declan MacManus posted:

:allears: "you've owned me harder than Kant owned Bentham", I lisped to myself.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

ought ten posted:

Write me a good question to ask Marshawn after this past week's game

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
If you're using "open-ended" as a negative description of a reporter's question, there's something fundamental about reporting that you don't understand

Chilichimp posted:

Seems to me they could just not ask yes or no questions?
Yes or no questions are also a really bad idea. He would say "Yes," or "No." Many sources would, not just guys like Marshawn. Great quote right there

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Ask how he feels about aaron Rodgers being a closeted gay man.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Ask if he sees rasheed Wallace as a mentor.

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
Not doing post game interviews didn't seem too important to Lynch when he signed his $31M extension with the Seahawks or when he held out just this past summer. If it was important he should've had it removed or, if the request was refused, retired on his already seven figures earned income. He signed so he can talk to the poor schlub beat reporters with some respect or go gently caress off somewhere. I say this as a Lynch fan from his Bills days.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

They're getting huge contracts not just because they're good on the field. They have other obligations to fill and excuse me if I'm not shedding a tear for Lynch's need to be handled with kid gloves.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

sweet thursday posted:

They're getting huge contracts not just because they're good on the field. They have other obligations to fill and excuse me if I'm not shedding a tear for Lynch's need to be handled with kid gloves.

thought you'd be sympathetic to his tism

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

If you're using "open-ended" as a negative description of a reporter's question, there's something fundamental about reporting that you don't understand

Yes or no questions are also a really bad idea. He would say "Yes," or "No." Many sources would, not just guys like Marshawn. Great quote right there

You misread Chilichimp.The questions should be open ended. The reporters who are poo poo at their job asked yes or no questions got a yes or no response then got indignant about it.

Why does Marshawn have to be Shaun?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Every post game presser is a sports writer wank fest. One reporter could write the game recap copy for every paper and website in America and no one would know the difference. Get them in the locker room, cultivate sources and relationships and maybe they'll have something worth writing about. NFL reporting and writing sucks because these guys have a hugely overinflated sense of their own value. Marshawn does have an obligation to answer their questions, but the reporters bitch and moan because he doesn't give them the respect they think they deserve, not because he's interfering with their quest for NFL post game truth. And that makes me happy.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

SlipUp posted:

You misread Chilichimp.The questions should be open ended. The reporters who are poo poo at their job asked yes or no questions got a yes or no response then got indignant about it.

Why does Marshawn have to be Shaun?

I did misread him!!! But the classic reporter questions everyone dislikes here are "tell me about" and "how did it feel when" which are not yes or no

And my point with Shaun was, these guys weren't bad at their jobs when they didn't have world class thought bitch Marshawn to interview

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Write me a good question to ask Marshawn after this past week's game

"do you feel that the assembled journalists here are wasting your time"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

go3 posted:

"do you feel that the assembled journalists here are wasting your time"

"Yeah"

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Seahawks win:

"Our scheme worked and we executed well; we expected to win coming in today and now we're moving on to the next game."

Seahawks win:

"Our scheme was solid but we didn't execute well; we're disappointed with the loss but we'll just have to move past it and heal."

Repeat ad nauseam

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Good for Marshawn. They write about a sport where grown men run into each other really fast. They need to stop taking themselves so goddamn seriously and realize that they don't loving matter.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Democratic Pirate posted:

Seahawks win:

"Our scheme worked and we executed well; we expected to win coming in today and now we're moving on to the next game."

Seahawks win:

"Our scheme was solid but we didn't execute well; we're disappointed with the loss but we'll just have to move past it and heal."

Repeat ad nauseam

Can you really blame the players for sticking with cliche when the media is more than willing to blow anything that isn't a boring victory cliche completely out of the water and out of context? 90% of press conferences and questions like this are boring BS

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I'd love a player's postgame press conference to be something like "Sports media has become superfluous, you no longer serve a legitimate purpose in your current profession. There are other avenues available to you and you should pursue them. Thank you."

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I hear there are help wanted ads for correspondents in the middle east

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

sweet thursday posted:

I hear there are help wanted ads for correspondents in the middle east

"And we have recently learned that Mike Silver's beheading was in response to his article 'Isis, Stop Being Pussies and Answer My Questions'."

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Chichevache posted:

"And we have recently learned that Mike Silver's beheading was in response to his article 'Isis, Stop Being Pussies and Answer My Questions'."

I would read this article. Both of them.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
"What does this mean for ISIS' brand?"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Skip Bayless just wants to know why Muhammed Sanu doesn't face towards Washington DC when he celebrates a touchdown.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Peter King is disappointed in the coffee situation in Syrian refugee facilities.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Punch Card posted:

I'd love a player's postgame press conference to be something like "Sports media has become superfluous, you no longer serve a legitimate purpose in your current profession. There are other avenues available to you and you should pursue them. Thank you."

You realize this is the opposite of the truth? Why do you think daily papers' sports sections have grown while every other section shrinks, why do you think Yahoo and MSN sports are the largest parts of their sites, why do you think most of us here know the names of 50+ sportswriters or talking heads? It's probably the most successful branch of the news, business-wise. I don't know what you mean by superfluous but I can't imagine a meaning that makes your statement true

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Also lol that nobody can write a "good" question to ask Marshawn. Looking forward to Chichevache's YouTube hit LEAVE MARSHAWN ALONE since that's what that whole argument boils down to

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Also lol that nobody can write a "good" question to ask Marshawn. Looking forward to Chichevache's YouTube hit LEAVE MARSHAWN ALONE since that's what that whole argument boils down to

Chiche please unironically do this

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That does make me curious, what do people want them to say exactly?

The questions are generic but they seem fine to me.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

That does make me curious, what do people want them to say exactly?

The questions are generic but they seem fine to me.

I think folks like Chiche are suggesting that they ask more in depth questions like you'd see in a pre-game exclusive interview but these are beat reporters, they have no interest in that crap they just need a soundbite, because they aren't writing an article on Marshawn Lynch, they are writing a game re-cap. Simple questions like "How important was that run" or "Was that the second biggest run you've ever had?" are good quote getting questions. Most of the questions asked though are going to be the same questions you get every week, as a player I'd probably find it numbing and you can see players turn on the "Press autopilot" when they get interviewed post-game.

Honestly at this point if I was a beat reporter for Seattle I'd just avoid Lynch and go for Sherman, Thomas, Carroll, Wilson, Bennett, Chancellor, any number of other players. Lynch is the big deal but if he's not going to cooperate when I'm just trying to get a good quote, gently caress him. But I wonder how many of these reporters have editors demanding they get a Lynch quote because someone knows Lynch is going to be a turd and get a story that that people will read that way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

Chiche please unironically do this

I have no corporeal body, a rogue MIT freshman created me to post terribly and break the internet.

Leave Marshawn alone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
What I don't understand. One player does not want to talk to the media and has made it obvious he won't say anything. Why can't the media just talk to the 52 other players without throwing a temper tantrum?

• Locked thread