Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I've come to realize that my hatred for Munchkin comes from the fact I've mostly played Munchkin Quest which takes like twice as long as standard Munchkin. I'm pretty sure the rules are otherwise the same so I still wouldn't like it, but I don't think I would have the same seething contempt if it weren't for Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'd be really interested to see a redesign, or perhaps design contest, using the components of Munchkin but not the rules to make a new game.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

I'd be really interested to see a redesign, or perhaps design contest, using the components of Munchkin but not the rules to make a new game.

Get five coloured markers and draw numbers on one of the decks, then play hanabi. Seriously, it's just two decks of cards, there aren't really any components.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking only for myself, another reason not to like Munchkin is not seeing the appeal in John Kovalic's artwork, like, at all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

sector_corrector posted:

I've mostly been getting casual party games over the past year or so, but I was thinking about getting something weightier. I have 50 dollars on my Amazon account, and want to put at least some of that towards a board game. My favorite game of all time is Dominion, so Temporum seemed like a logical next step. I know that 7 Wonders is lighter, but is probably easier to teach and more extensible for seating players. I've also never done a worker placement game before, so I was also looking for good first steps into the genre. I'd like to optimize against these factors between those three options:

• Price. Can't be over 50, and ideally less.
  • Accessibility. Most of the people I would be playing with tend towards the less intense side of board gaming. All of them like Dominion and Catan, but I feel like that's the upper limit.
  • Time. I'd like to keep a session at around 45 minutes to an hour.
  • Extensibility. Expansions are a plus.

Any opinions based on that?

I'd say Castles of Burgundy or Lords of Waterdeep for a good introductory worker placement game. Castles has variable play areas to change things up a bit, while Lords has an expansion already. I think of the two, Castles is the better one since it's more innovative with its gameplay (you roll dice to determine where you can place workers and tiles, though there are ways to manipulate your results and you'll rarely if ever be in a "if I don't get this number I'm hosed" position) and doesn't have the dumb "Mandatory Quests" mechanic that Lords does, but Lords is easier to explain and has a more accessible theme (though if your group likes Dominion, theme probably won't be a problem) and is still a decent game on its own (if you take out and ignore Mandatory Quests).

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

BonHair posted:

Get five coloured markers and draw numbers on one of the decks, then play hanabi. Seriously, it's just two decks of cards, there aren't really any components.

Yeah but surely there's an actually interesting way to reinterpret the cards/symbols/definitions to pull a good game out of it. I bought into Munchkin when I first got into games, bought a couple of sets before I knew better and sometimes feel the urge to do something with the cards other than play it as is/throw it out/give it to someone else to make them hate me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Kai Tave posted:

Speaking only for myself, another reason not to like Munchkin is not seeing the appeal in John Kovalic's artwork, like, at all.
A major reason I'm not getting Cash 'n' Guns second edition. I mean, first edition art was a bit janky, but in comparison it looks like a modern art masterpiece. A direct comparison:

1st Edition:

2nd Edition:

I mean, c'mon :(

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Tekopo posted:

A major reason I'm not getting Cash 'n' Guns second edition. I mean, first edition art was a bit janky, but in comparison it looks like a modern art masterpiece. A direct comparison:

1st Edition:

2nd Edition:

I mean, c'mon :(

Now that is pretty bad art in the second edition.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Cash 'N' Guns is a game that is basically screaming out to have your own custom version made, with character cards of, let's say, Reservoir Dogs or something.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
One thing I find slightly strange about (original) Munchkin's theme is that it attracts a lot of casual gamers that never actually played D&D or its ilk. I mean, people whose sole contact with assorted nerdery is liking a fantasy show on TV and perhaps having played a Bioware game once upon a time suddenly become experts on RPG in-jokes.

What I'm trying to say is that Munchkin is literally the Big Bang Theory of boardgaming.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Mega64 posted:

I'd say Castles of Burgundy or Lords of Waterdeep for a good introductory worker placement game. Castles has variable play areas to change things up a bit, while Lords has an expansion already. I think of the two, Castles is the better one since it's more innovative with its gameplay (you roll dice to determine where you can place workers and tiles, though there are ways to manipulate your results and you'll rarely if ever be in a "if I don't get this number I'm hosed" position) and doesn't have the dumb "Mandatory Quests" mechanic that Lords does, but Lords is easier to explain and has a more accessible theme (though if your group likes Dominion, theme probably won't be a problem) and is still a decent game on its own (if you take out and ignore Mandatory Quests).

I would throw in Spyrium as another entry-level worker placement game. It's ~$15 on Amazon and plays in a little over an hour. It's got a fake steampunk theme in that the titular rocks are the only fantasy thing about it. The rest is straight Victorian London. It's not a standard worker placement game since you don't outright block the spaces. Instead, having more workers around a card makes it more expensive to use. I think this makes it more interactive and the phrase that comes to my mind is "Euro knife fight" since resources are generally pretty tight.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gimnbo posted:

I would throw in Spyrium as another entry-level worker placement game. It's ~$15 on Amazon and plays in a little over an hour. It's got a fake steampunk theme in that the titular rocks are the only fantasy thing about it. The rest is straight Victorian London. It's not a standard worker placement game since you don't outright block the spaces. Instead, having more workers around a card makes it more expensive to use. I think this makes it more interactive and the phrase that comes to my mind is "Euro knife fight" since resources are generally pretty tight.

That seems like a winner. Thanks!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Myrmidongs posted:

I got the Resistance expansion stuff from the kickstarter yesterday. I can't tell if these rules are just badly written / have errors, or if I'm stupid and not understanding something.

In the Hunter module, during the investigation phase, the rules say this:

I'm assuming the spy chief part is an error, and he should be going by the same player-count idea as the resistance Chief.

Nobody touched on this. So yeah, the Hostile Intent and Hidden Agenda manuals are pretty loving terrible. If you haven't played Avalon, there's no indicator what half the Hidden Agenda role cards even do.

To answer your question, the Spy Chief portion is an error, and you are correct. In 5-6 player games, you use the Chief investigation card, and you instead use the faction-specific cards in 7+ player games. Also, Dummy gets to choose their card, I think, but I'll have to look it up to make sure.

Indie Boards and Cards is such a terrible company. I'm going to write up a rulebook and post it online because they won't.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
I wonder if anyone even saw my Spyfall question between the oh so useful Munchkin flood. Someone should open a Munchkin thread so we can send people there to discuss its merits and flaws endlessly...

Someone was talking about Xia: Legends of a Drift System on this or previous thread and I remember some negative comments about it. It seems quite popular and highly rated. Can anyone elaborate what's good and bad about it before more goon money is spend on that direction please?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

echoMateria posted:

I wonder if anyone even saw my Spyfall question between the oh so useful Munchkin flood. Someone should open a Munchkin thread so we can send people there to discuss its merits and flaws endlessly...
I'm 100% in favor of the Munchkin/fun argument ghetto.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Broken Loose posted:

Nobody touched on this. So yeah, the Hostile Intent and Hidden Agenda manuals are pretty loving terrible. If you haven't played Avalon, there's no indicator what half the Hidden Agenda role cards even do.

To answer your question, the Spy Chief portion is an error, and you are correct. In 5-6 player games, you use the Chief investigation card, and you instead use the faction-specific cards in 7+ player games. Also, Dummy gets to choose their card, I think, but I'll have to look it up to make sure.

Indie Boards and Cards is such a terrible company. I'm going to write up a rulebook and post it online because they won't.

The decision to split The Resistance into two themes is annoying as hell; I bought Avalon, and now I'm left wondering if that was a stupid choice and I should have got The Resistance instead. I'm sure as hell not buying the same game twice though just to get some mildly different options!

What's the point behind that decision? Is it just a cash in?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Zombie Munchkin
Zombie Munchkin with minis
Cthulhu Munchkin
Dice Munchkin

I could be a millionaire...

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

echoMateria posted:

Someone was talking about Xia: Legends of a Drift System on this or previous thread and I remember some negative comments about it. It seems quite popular and highly rated. Can anyone elaborate what's good and bad about it before more goon money is spend on that direction please?

I haven't played Xia but my understanding is the game is full of dumb dumb things like rolling a die based on your engine quality to move (a crappy engine might be a d6 while a good engine might be a d10), rolling your attack, then the defender rolls shields (a crappy shield again might be a d6 and a good one might be a d10), and all sorts of other poorly thought out crap like "every time you roll a 20 on a d20 for any reason, you get a victory point, hooray!"

Basically the design reeks of "this is my first game and the only playtesters were a handful of my friends who played the game exactly as I'd envisioned it should be played so everything went fine".

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Scyther posted:

I haven't played Xia but my understanding is the game is full of dumb dumb things like rolling a die based on your engine quality to move (a crappy engine might be a d6 while a good engine might be a d10), rolling your attack, then the defender rolls shields (a crappy shield again might be a d6 and a good one might be a d10), and all sorts of other poorly thought out crap like "every time you roll a 20 on a d20 for any reason, you get a victory point, hooray!"

Basically the design reeks of "this is my first game and the only playtesters were a handful of my friends who played the game exactly as I'd envisioned it should be played so everything went fine".

So it's an extremely dice dependent space trading game? One of my friends already have Firefly if I feel a need for that kind of thing so I guess I can stay far, far away. Thanks.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ropes4u posted:

Zombie Munchkin
Zombie Munchkin with minis
Cthulhu Munchkin
Dice Munchkin

I could be a millionaire...

They made 3/4 of these already. For that matter, they also have munchkin minis.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Uhhhh gently caress that? The only reason? Maybe someone actually likes Mage Knight and wants to play it instead of HoMM? Or, for that matter, one can want to play two different games that are in the same genre because they're different?

Why would digital versions of Magic be even remotely similar?

Basically, I disagree with the premise of this post.

Same. I love HoMM3 and play it all the time, but I will often have Mageknight set up on my "solo game table" for a good week at a time. If I didn't have a dedicated table for puzzle/games I might not play it as much due to set up time, but when you leave it set up its pretty quick to set up a new game.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gimnbo posted:

I've come to realize that my hatred for Munchkin comes from the fact I've mostly played Munchkin Quest which takes like twice as long as standard Munchkin. I'm pretty sure the rules are otherwise the same so I still wouldn't like it, but I don't think I would have the same seething contempt if it weren't for Quest.

You haven't known true horror until you've taken two Munchkin Quest boxes and combined them to make eight player Munchkin Quest. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I've done this. We managed to get through, as I recall, one complete turn. I can't help but feel that one of these days I'll be made to answer for my crimes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

Right in the second post where it says just because you think a game is bad doesn't mean it is bad/not fun for other people?

This is weak sauce, at least defend the games mechanics in a poorly thought out way or something. Put some effort into it :colbert:

Munchkin is still terrible though. I don't know what I would do if someone wanted to play big bang theroy munchkin with me. Maybe cry for their soul.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You know a game is bad when even Rutibex won't defend it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

You know a game is bad when even Rutibex won't defend it.

You are on fire today.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

They made 3/4 of these already. For that matter, they also have munchkin minis.

That's is funny and sad all at once.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Scyther posted:

I own it, backed it, and posted a ton about it on BGG.

This is pretty spot on.

You get to buy ship parts, which fit like tetris pieces in your hull. Fun! There's only 4 kinds of parts though, Engines, Shields, Blasters and Missiles. Three tiers of each, which just makes the die size bigger, and some allow more uses in a turn.

You get 4 actions in a turn, limited by the ship's parts. Engines can be used 3x, shields two or three times, blasters twice, missiles once. So if you want to go to Planet X, you use one marker on your engines, roll dX based on size, move. Not there yet? Do it again. Still not there? One more use of the engine! There's also impulse speed, which is a free movement, like 2-4 spaces.

Combat is just "roll your attack dice, they roll shields, subtract attack from shields, that's the damage." Damage is placed on the hull, possibly knocking out cargo and damaging the parts. The only problem is that blasters roll 2dX, shields tier2+ roll 3dX, making it very hard to damage people.

You can upgrade your ship, and each ship has a special power which carries over, so there's some more customization.

This is the only (non-RPG) game I have that has had more than a single houserule. I've actually got a little document on BGG just to keep track of all the little modifiers, because there's so many little broken or annoying things about it. Limiting shields, removing the 'lose a turn if you die', making exploration more spaced out so a single trade route doesn't dominate the game, fixing a few ships' broken powers... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1254714/ravs-house-rules

So, if you hate dice, this is not for you. Combat is very random, missions are very random, mining is very random, everything has a die roll attached to it, none of which you can really modify at all. The best you can do is upgrade your ship to roll bigger dice. It has a ton of freedom of choice in the game, and is built for people to mod in their own bits, but it's begging for houserules, and can run on if people overthink things.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I would really love to play a privateer/elite style space trading game but I don't believe there is a good one out there. The three major ones I'm aware of now are Merchant of Venus, Firefly and Xia and all seem to be flawed at best. Merchants and marauders, minus theme, seems to be closest in practice. Is there anything major out there I am missing?

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Anyone played Orléans? Rahdo was very enthusiastic about it in his best games of 2014 video.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blamestorm posted:

I would really love to play a privateer/elite style space trading game but I don't believe there is a good one out there. The three major ones I'm aware of now are Merchant of Venus, Firefly and Xia and all seem to be flawed at best. Merchants and marauders, minus theme, seems to be closest in practice. Is there anything major out there I am missing?

Terra Prime?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Just played three fantastic 2-player games of Dominion and one dud. It was bad enough that we played 6 turns and called it, and I also started a list of "bad" boards.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
For science, what was the dud board?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I got my first Dominion expansion today: Hinterlands. I chose a random board, but was wondering how other people jumped into new expansions. Did you do what I did, and play a bunch of games with only that expansion's cards? Did you just add them to the normal shuffle, and learn them when they appear? Add 3 random ones, and 7 from the other expansions you're familiar with?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
You know what is worse than munchkin? A Yugioh draft. I have never played the game before and got roped into playing with my wife's cousins when they said "Hey, you've introduced me to so many board games and I want to teach you this." Well I can't very well say no to that.

The game is impenetrable bullshit. Every card has lots of little text and they all reference other cards I have never heard of and won't see in a draft. I made a deck with a theme of lots of small monsters and ways of drawing them into my hand - something that would generally work okay if I tried it in Magic (I haven't played Magic in over a decade either...). Turns out in Yugioh one monster with strong defense can block literally any number of weaker monsters. So I made a deck that did literally nothing.

This is what we did instead of Galaxy Trucker.

On the bright side, Coup was a hit. Thanks for recommending it, thread!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Really, you could just leave it at "You know what's worse than Munchkin? Yugioh." I don't think the draft format is what really did you in there.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

unpronounceable posted:

I got my first Dominion expansion today: Hinterlands. I chose a random board, but was wondering how other people jumped into new expansions. Did you do what I did, and play a bunch of games with only that expansion's cards? Did you just add them to the normal shuffle, and learn them when they appear? Add 3 random ones, and 7 from the other expansions you're familiar with?

Typically we've learned new sets by playing their suggested sets and then incorporating into the random shuffle of our other sets. You're going fairly deep into Dominion Esoterica with Hinterlands,though. You may want to introduce them into sets of other Dominion cards a few at a time in order to digest them. This will probably be easier than using a whole set of new, complex cards at once.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

On the bright side, Coup was a hit. Thanks for recommending it, thread!

Coup is great! Played several rounds with family in post-Christmas celebrations today, lost them all due to playing a little bit passively to let everyone settle in, but I'm pulling out all the stops tomorrow. They thought it was neat and it was clear that it was a step up for them form Sushi Go and Love Letter but just as fast.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Got Dominion: Dark Ages today and tried it out with one of the recommended setups ("Grim Parade"). The entire board was basically Procession + Fortress combo plus all the support that combo could possibly want - Market Square to farm golds while running the combo, Forager to thin out coppers/shelters, Armory to farm the combo pieces, Band of Misfits to substitute for either combo piece, and a bunch of expensive terminal draw cards to let your combo keep running.

When I started to combo off my turns started taking 5+ minutes and always involved running through my entire deck, my opponents went from 0 Ruins to 10 in the space of just two turns, and on my last turn I used 15 Golds to buy 5 Provinces. It was miserable and I have no idea what anyone else could have done to prevent this other than doing the same thing one turn faster.

Kai Tave posted:

Really, you could just leave it at "You know what's worse than Munchkin? Yugioh." I don't think the draft format is what really did you in there.

Actual Yugioh at least has the advantage of ending in like three turns, instead of dragging on for hours like Munchkin.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Actual Yugioh at least has the advantage of ending in like three turns, instead of dragging on for hours like Munchkin.

On the other hand I would rather play hours of Munchkin with the average Munchkin fan than 15 minutes of Yugioh with the average Yugioh fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

On the other hand I would rather play hours of Munchkin with the average Munchkin fan than 15 minutes of Yugioh with the average Yugioh fan.

I believe the answer here is obvious: Yugioh Munchkin.

Also, I managed to get zero board games for Christmas. Seriously family, get with it! At least I got to give Love Letter, Hanabi and Forbidden Island (Desert was sold out) to people who seemed happy. But I have no Tash-Kalar still :(