Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bicyclops posted:

There seems to be no benefit in it for them.

Its just Moffat's usual aversion to spoilers, I think.

Also, I think Clara has been better this season too, but Amy and Rory took such a dive in quality once they stayed passed their first goodbye that if the same happened to Clara she would be unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Showrunner hanging on to their obvious pet favourite character long past the point where they should have been gone forever? Sounds familiar.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

Showrunner hanging on to their obvious pet favourite character long past the point where they should have been gone forever? Sounds familiar.

It was bad then too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Amy and Rory had a really strong first season, an okay second one and a horrible half season that never should have happened and is a blight on their (and Smith's) run.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mokinokaro posted:

Amy and Rory had a really strong first season, an okay second one and a horrible half season that never should have happened and is a blight on their (and Smith's) run.

But I like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. :(

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
That's because it has Rory's dad and Rory's dad is the best.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its not Amy and Rory's fault that the writing sucked. They could have been in a series of excellent stories after their goodbye and all it would have taken was a good showrunner hiring good writers with non-eye-rolling plot ideas.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, if they do a half season of Clara and a half season of a new person, it will be a disservice to both of them, in my opinion. That's what the rumor has been, but it's mostly just the Daily Mail, so it's hopefully just a rumor.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Ms Boods posted:

Hmm...magician in Latin is rendered either as magis (wise) or...magister -- which is also 'master.'

Nope, not going there.

I am now imagining what kind of person would be the Master's companion, and how awesome a few episodes of that would be.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

surc posted:

I am now imagining what kind of person would be the Master's companion, and how awesome a few episodes of that would be.

Dark Eyes 3 has you covered there!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I think Lucy Saxon has to be the only one that meets the classic definition.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PantsOptional posted:

I think Lucy Saxon has to be the only one that meets the classic definition.

Well there's always the Asian child...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

It's been so long since I subjected myself to the movie that I don't recall if they ever actually went anywhere in the TARDIS.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

The_Doctor posted:

Master/Missy Tardis reveal to show she's rescued Adric at the last minute and has had him hanging from her wall like a piece of 1970s string art all this time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Ms Boods posted:

Master/Missy Tardis reveal to show she's rescued Adric at the last minute and has had him hanging from her wall like a piece of 1970s string art all this time.

Wouldn't be the first time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

Well he's clearly enjoying it. :gonk:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The_Doctor posted:

Well he's clearly enjoying it. :gonk:

How can he? There are no snacks and no one he can betray.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

DoctorWhat posted:

That's what I was referencing.

With luck he's had time to 'adjust his clothing' from the last time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The best part is that the way Ainley's face is positioned, it looks as if he is staring at the boner, one imagines with a look of utter disgust.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Adric heard he was known as the Master and got entirely the wrong idea. He just wants to be a happy little sub.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Adam Mitchell would've been a good companion for the Master. I mean, the Master's only going to keep someone around as long as they're a) useful and/or b) amusing, so Adam would've been a good fit on the Master's TARDIS.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

Adam Mitchell would've been a good companion for the Master. I mean, the Master's only going to keep someone around as long as they're a) useful and/or b) amusing, so Adam would've been a good fit on the Master's TARDIS.

Boy! Open your head up and download Gallifrey's Matrix so that I can use it to ensnare the Doctor in a method too convoluted to explain.

*Adam's head explodes in the attempt*

Oh well, I figured that would happen, but it was worth a try. Maybe I'll try it with Dalek Clara.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

Pretty sure this happened in the comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was that in DWM or one of the American comics? I've only read the former.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

Was that in DWM or one of the American comics? I've only read the former.

It's not quite how he remembers it, but it's from one of the final IDW arcs.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Clara is coming back. Sorry guys.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Reading the Wikipedia entry for the episode with three giant paragraphs about how well the episode was received by the media makes me wonder, was there any actual episode of the revival that wasn't given overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics? I mean, off the top of my head, I honestly feel like Fear Her was the only episode that didn't get universal praise from mainstream critics.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 26, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chairman Capone posted:

Reading the Wikipedia entry for the episode with three giant paragraphs about how well the episode was received by the media makes me wonder, was there any actual episode of the revival that wasn't given overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics? I mean, off the top of my head, I honestly feel like Fear Her was the only episode that didn't get universal praise from mainstream critics.

Based on IMDB ratings the lowest rated episodes of the revival are Fear Her, In the Forest of the Night, Love & Monsters, The Lazarus Experiment, Curse of the Black Spot, and Victory of the Daleks.

The lowest of those was a 6.4 on average, and the highest was a 6.9.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Critics are full of poo poo because Victory is awesome and this christmas special wasn't.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
IMDB ratings are not the critics' ratings.

There are some critics that loving love all of Doctor Who for some reason.

eg for Fear Her:

quote:

Arnold T Blumburg, writing for Now Playing, gave the episode a grade of B+.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

Critics are full of poo poo because Victory is awesome and this christmas special wasn't.

Curse of the Black Spot is also better than a lot of that list.

EDIT: \/ Can you really say it belongs in the same league as Fear Her and Love & Monsters?

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 26, 2014

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Curse of the Black Spot is also better than a lot of that list.

That's just, like, your opinion, man

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There are some critics that loving love all of Doctor Who for some reason.

Isn't that the founder/admin of Outpost Gallifrey?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
"Fear Her" seems to be one of the few episodes that some superfans dislike, or maybe they think they're supposed to dislike it, in the same way some Pixar fans just have to hate Cars. It's the story everyone 'knows' is bad, as The Gunfighters used to be. So in a few years "Fear Her" might be reexamined and fans will decide it's actually good, and it'll be uncool to dislike it. Get ahead of the curve and start extolling its greatness now!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Fear Her gets an undue amount of hate due to that last, like, two minutes and some hokey child acting. That said, even if reexamined, I don't think it'll ever be above a C in most peoples' eyes. Certainly when I was watching through I found it utterly unremarkable like, say, Tooth and Claw or The Vampires of Venice. It was kind of just... there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Action Jacktion posted:

"Fear Her" seems to be one of the few episodes that some superfans dislike, or maybe they think they're supposed to dislike it, in the same way some Pixar fans just have to hate Cars. It's the story everyone 'knows' is bad, as The Gunfighters used to be. So in a few years "Fear Her" might be reexamined and fans will decide it's actually good, and it'll be uncool to dislike it. Get ahead of the curve and start extolling its greatness now!

I mean it's not good either, it's just kind of dull. It's like the Shakespeare one except I guess it fails at tackling child abuse so that turns off more people.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Harlock posted:

Clara is coming back. Sorry guys.

Yeah. At least they did a good as job as they could have for giving her a reason to be back. Hopefully, whenever she leaves, they don't give her a drawn out goodbye and she just kind of finds a place that she likes and asks the Doctor if she can stay.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah. At least they did a good as job as they could have for giving her a reason to be back. Hopefully, whenever she leaves, they don't give her a drawn out goodbye and she just kind of finds a place that she likes and asks the Doctor if she can stay.

I imagine the Doctor will (possibly inadvertently) steer the TARDIS into wherever it is Danny ended up at the end of "Death in Heaven", Clara will stay with him, and he won't be able to get back with her. It's just the way things are done.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't mind Clara being back at all given how well Coleman and Capaldi work together and how Moffat's managed to develop her into an actual character.
but there really ought to be a second companion added for Season 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Two companions definitely seems to work better as it gives the writers another reoccurring main character to play around with. I was hoping Danny would at least travel with the Doctor a bit, but it wasn't meant to be.

• Locked thread